Update backward compatibility ps5

SirEcecirillo

First the rumor was that they work on full backwards compatibility with older generations, now it is pretty much confirmed that it will only go as far back as PS4, and even there it will be limited. Not sure if half assing this massive feature is the way to go while simultaneously sowing doubts about whether the strong exclusive games will actually stay exclusive to Playstation in the long run. For me it is getting more and more unlikely that I will get a PS5 in the first few years after its release.

• Like 4

The clarification is welcome, but I would still like to know more about the modes that were shown off during the livestream.

Image result for ps5 backwards compatibility legacy mode

Is this something we as the consumer will have any control over like the Boost Mode on PS4 Pro, or will it automatically select the mode best suited for the game in question? I get that the native PS5 mode might cause some issues with backwards compatibility, but I don't understand why *all* PS4 games aren't compatible in the PS4/PS4 Pro mode at the very least. Surely the game would think it was running on an actual PS4 in those modes, no?

16 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

First the rumor was that they work on full backwards compatibility with older generations, now it is pretty much confirmed that it will only go as far back as PS4, and even there it will be limited. Not sure if half assing this massive feature is the way to go while simultaneously sowing doubts about whether the strong exclusive games will actually stay exclusive to Playstation in the long run. For me it is getting more and more unlikely that I will get a PS5 in the first few years after its release.

"Overwhelming majority" doesn't translate into "limited". Odds are every game aside from a few will be available. Probably those online games with closed servers or a few games whose company is no longer in business

Considering the status of RPCS3 atm, I think that Sony is more than capable of coming up with PS3 emulation w/ the PS5 hardware. But after seeing how it won't even support all PS4 titles at launch, I'm not so sure they will do that.

Edited by kanzenchaos

When I first read about the PS5 being compatible with all previous consoles I laughed for myself. It wasn't in their interest and I doubt they are competent enough to do it.

All previous consoles to the PS4 (PS3, 2 and 1) use completely different central and graphics processor units. So they need to emulate everything and that is a processor hog operation. It's still better in some terms than what they're trying to do with PS4 emulation. It's easier if you consider that code can run directly in the processor, and probably most graphics calls can be handled similarly, but the underlying OS is different and PS4 games won't know they're running on a different hardware which will lead to numerous issues. Also the graphics enhancement will surely only work on games that use 3D models processed in the graphics unit, which some games don't use anyway. The advantage of complete emulation is that it's easier to make the game believe it's in a original console, and it's a contained process not messing with the newer system but even that is tough (see for how much time MAME has evolved and still some games have problems).

I personally don't believe this will work smoothly for some time. It will take many system updates to put this in a really reliable and smooth path, as Sony isn't exactly a company to trust on this matters.

I do think that anyone buying a PS5 counting on PS4 games will be in for a rough ride for quite sometime. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 4:15 PM, Taliesin_2943 said:

I'm not upset on ps3 not being compatible I just want to play my PS2 games again my PS2 long since died and finding a good working one is hard to do

Amazon Renewed sells refurbished systems and currently has PS2's anywhere from $93 to $150, depending on what model you want. These systems come with a 90 day guarantee if they don't work as expected.

Trying this from my phone so hopefully the link works. If it's F'ed up I'll fix it once I'm home.

Well, the problem Sony has is that they used different architectures in every generation.

Microsoft had it a lot easier, because they used standard computer hardware from the beginning. The first XBox had an Intel Celeron and a Geforce3.

The XBox360 was using an IBM PowerPC processor (And an ATI/AMD graphics card). Apple used these for a long time before they switched to Intel. Blizzard for example had all their games compatible with macOS and the PPC. So why would Microsoft be unable to do that?

So... When Microsoft had so many problems with doing the backward compatibility, even though they started with that in 2007 and used standard hardware, how is Sony supposed to do that with the Cell processor? They have less manpower, less money, probably even less overall knowledge.

The Cell CPU is a very exotic and difficult piece of hardware and nobody had an idea how to use it. I bet 99% of the people did not even know Cell existed before Sony announced the PS3. Did you know that the PS3 was not even planned to have a GPU? Sony intended to let the Cell do ALL the work, but decided to put an Nvidia GPU in in "the last second", because they were scared by the XBox360. That is also why the Fatlady had so many overheating problems. The cooling was not really designed for an additional GPU. Well, on paper the Cell alone was strong enough to mop the floor with the XBox360, in theory they did not need the dedicated GPU. But in reality, well, nobody knew how to use the Cell correctly. So we can be happy that they put in that GPU. I bet not even Sony knew how to use the Cell. :P

I am not trying to defend Sony though. They only have themselves to blame. After the great success of the PS2 they went all cocky and wanted to brag. "Oh look, we have the most powerful CPU money can buy!" (Did you know, that the Cell processor was able to beat a 3000$ Intel Xeon? It was so poweful and so cheap, and had Linux support, the US Airforce even build a serverfarm with PS3s!) and "We have build a PS2 into the PS3, because we are that great!".

• Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 4:35 PM, Nighcisama said:

Sony confirmed backwards compatibility with PS4 last year. That's ~4000 games. Far from half assing. 

But if you're the type that hear rumors then play the company for fan rumors not being true maybe your kneejerk reactions are deeper than gaming.

15 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Am I the only one that just wants to play their ps1 games anytime on the ps5 

PS1 should be easy enough to implement on PS5, but then people will always want more and it's a slippery slope. I can already play my PS1 games on my PS1, PS2, PS3, and generally prefer them on my PSP. 

The PS1 Classic already looks pretty bad when it's all blown up on a huge HDTV and I can't imagine it gets any better on a 4K tv. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Am I the only one that just wants to play their ps1 games anytime on the ps5 

It'd be nice but I've still got my PS3 hooked up and I've tackled my PS1 collection so the absence doesn't bother me too much. I'd say Sony has bigger issues at hand with the PS5 than BC. Most of us are waiting for more consumer related info and of course the biggest issue is price. It's their biggest key against Microsoft at this point

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

Well, the problem Sony has is that they used different architectures in every generation.

Microsoft had it a lot easier, because they used standard computer hardware from the beginning. The first XBox had an Intel Celeron and a Geforce3.

The XBox360 was using an IBM PowerPC processor (And an ATI/AMD graphics card). Apple used these for a long time before they switched to Intel. Blizzard for example had all their games compatible with macOS and the PPC. So why would Microsoft be unable to do that?

So... When Microsoft had so many problems with doing the backward compatibility, even though they started with that in 2007 and used standard hardware, how is Sony supposed to do that with the Cell processor? They have less manpower, less money, probably even less overall knowledge.

The Cell CPU is a very exotic and difficult piece of hardware and nobody had an idea how to use it. I bet 99% of the people did not even know Cell existed before Sony announced the PS3. Did you know that the PS3 was not even planned to have a GPU? Sony intended to let the Cell do ALL the work, but decided to put an Nvidia GPU in in "the last second", because they were scared by the XBox360. That is also why the Fatlady had so many overheating problems. The cooling was not really designed for an additional GPU. Well, on paper the Cell alone was strong enough to mop the floor with the XBox360, in theory they did not need the dedicated GPU. But in reality, well, nobody knew how to use the Cell correctly. So we can be happy that they put in that GPU. I bet not even Sony knew how to use the Cell. :P

I am not trying to defend Sony though. They only have themselves to blame. After the great success of the PS2 they went all cocky and wanted to brag. "Oh look, we have the most powerful CPU money can buy!" (Did you know, that the Cell processor was able to beat a 3000$ Intel Xeon? It was so poweful and so cheap, and had Linux support, the US Airforce even build a serverfarm with PS3s!) and "We have build a PS2 into the PS3, because we are that great!".

The cell processor is power PC too

Honestly, if your decision of acquiring a PS5 or not is based on if it has full back until older generations you should reconsider why you buy a new console. 

I can see the point for people who didn’t buy a PS4, still, an 80% is more than enough (improved games even). It is a welcoming feature, but there is no point in getting anything older than that.

I wish Sony would unlock all their PS1 games and make it so they are possible to play on any PSP or Vita region free. Like they should have done in the first place..

Also let's hope Vita has remote play to PS5 like it does with PS4.

3 minutes ago, BlackTorito said:

Honestly, if your decision of acquiring a PS5 or not is based on if it has full back until older generations you should reconsider why you buy a new console. 

I can see the point for people who didn’t buy a PS4, still, an 80% is more than enough (improved games even). It is a welcoming feature, but there is no point in getting anything older than that.

The amount of backlog I have on my Vita, PS3 and PS4 and not including games I am going to buy in the future for PS4, I could live without a PS5 until 2030.

No seriously. We have to remember that it was like 2007-2008 for PS3 starting and it's already 12 years since then. 10 years will FLY by, especially for those of us have a full time job and family to look after.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1