This should have been a PS3 launch game

ain_sr

I am interested in story based game so got it on PS+ sale. Have to say I still did not find value in this game.

Why should you avoid this game I say?

1. It has a average story
  2. Uninteresting characters
  3. Boring and Annoying gameplay with one enemy type
  4. Missable collectibles!
  5. Game-breaking glitches where cutscenes won't trigger hence you can't progress

The only thing going for it is its premise and short platinum trophy.

Edit: Apologies for not being clear by what I meant with 'launch game'. This game seems like is a bridge between the old games with wonky controls while incorporating new ideas,graphics and gameplay possible only in a new gen. This game would have surely benefited if it had the luxury and resources of SquareEnix's other AAA IPs. It had the potential but couldn't tap into it, like many other launch titles or the first of the series, example being Just cause and even Witcher! I can understand why some people like it, but for me its flaws overshadow the good. 

Edited by ain_sr
  • Like 1

I liked this game. Not a great game but it was decent. I would have been happy if it was a launch game for the ps3.  Out of the launch titles for the ps3, I only played 1 game and didn’t finish it. I only brought a ps3 when there was games I wanted to play which was 2 years later.

• Like 1

I got it for dirt cheap in a sale last year. Ive heard middling things but its still there, on the harddrive, waiting. 

Il give it bash this week with a lot of other maybes from the backlog. I think im about to hit 2 weeks self isolating so why not!

Edited by punkshepherd
Spelling

Yeah, don't see how any of this means it should have been a launch title.

I enjoyed this game, a good palette cleanser. It accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do, nothing more. The second visit to the church part made me feel like a colossal failure, it's rare a game invokes such a deep reaction in me.

• Like 1

I thought this was a decent game despite it being rather brief. Perhaps I'm biased since I purchased this for less than $10 and am rather fond of narrative-based games, but I thought the plot was engaging enough, the ghost stories you unlocked from obtaining the collectibles were actually interesting, and I liked the concept of solving the mystery behind your own death. Not to say it doesn't have flaws of course, but I don't feel remorseful for playing it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, panikooooos said:

He obviously means this belongs back in 2006, and it does not live up to modern standards

You got it! It would have been a quite revolutionary game back then. But games had already done miles better than what this game is trying to do. Investigation and choice based game? You got it in Heavy Rain, Sherlock Crimes and Punishment and freaking L.A Noire (One of the best investigation gameplay). This game is stuck between being a story-driven and gameplay focused game with a pinch of 'open' world. Your dialogue choices won't matter, the clues don't matter( you will get all of them right eventually), no enemy types or strategy and only one active ghost power???? What! I can get why people like it as they nailed the premise and atmosphere of the game. But sadly for me it fails in most of the other aspects which contributes to my dislike for this game. I hope if this IP ever comes back they put in more resources and time into it, would be happy to give this another shot.

• Like 1

I tried platting this a few years ago but ended up “ragequitting” cause I missed a collectable I could not go back to and I did not feel like playing the game again. Back then I thought the gaming was super boring too but I will give it another try someday, maybe I was being too harsh back then.

• 1 month later...

I came back to this game yesterday, got the platinum today It was a nice getaway from other games that I played in the recent weeks, and to be honest, I'd recommend it to other people. I am sorry, but not every game must have a plot with seven sub-plots, eighty-nine enemy types, chapter select, and be of the best quality.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Pretty mediocre game, interesting premise but in the end it just feels like one huge pile of wasted potential. You think being a ghost would open up so much doors for you in order to solve this case but a moment later it turns out you can't even open up a single door yourself. All jokes aside they really dropped the ball with the ghost abilities they give you. I was often wondering what the real benefit of being a ghost actually was as the living seemed to ironically have way more freedom of movement and they didn't have to deal with annoying demons half the time (seriously why did they even add those). Gameplaywise this game is just really not worth it, why even bother making you play as a ghost if you ultimately make it seem like it's more of a disadvantage than anything else.

The only redeeming factor this game has would be its story I guess, but even that I found to be extremely lackluster compared to the likes of Heavy Rain, L.A. Noire and other actually good detective games. If you have played those, I really wouldn't recommend playing this one.

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent

I'm really glad to see that this game has its fans. I admit that the overall concept is a bit wonky (the entire ghost detective thing, honestly) and it never really gels into a truly cohesive experience - but the atmosphere's just fantastic, and the moment-to-moment gameplay is a lot of fun.

The sheer amount of collectibles is definitely off-putting, and one of the reasons why I never attempted the plat my first time around. But I personally liked the game so much, I revisited it about a year later with a video guide, and probably enjoyed myself even more than I did the first time. What can I say? It's a cosy little game - even if I'm still not quite sure how it was successfully pitched.

• Like 2

it was an ok game, played it around the time it released, got the platinum, don't remember having any trouble with bugs, it was something original at least, now most games are carbon copies of the open world zelda/witcher formula or the telltale style for interactive story games, this was different enough

• Like 2

This game just suffers from a severe identity crisis the opening cutscene is done beautifully I just felt like pointing that out because it sticks in my mind for its slick presentation.

The title is catchy enough that people just impulse buy it on sale thinking that sounds interesting. Its sold as a adventure/puzzle game suggesting you have to do something during the investigation parts. The huge flaw is if you make mistakes. I was happily playing through this game thinking i am sherlocking the shit out of this, but if you do happen to make a mistake I made like one there's no punishment and the game just pushes you back into the right place. That bugged me a lot. If anyone has played sherlock holmes you would be annoyed by this in that game mistakes allow you to continue and just kill off who you feel like. This game is extremely linear. The ideas of horror in the game are good, but are poorly executed with terrible stealth sections. I can't remember the game specifics that well but i am sure there are some cool moments in the asylum. I also remember I enjoyed this game and having done research for the most part got what i wanted. I don't recall collectibles being hard to find and our got the plat easily enough but i hear this gripe a lot. I definitely don't think you can call a game bad for having a collectible in a crap place, sure its annoying but it doesn't break the game. I really wish people were clear on this point, it annoys me hearing a game is bad missing out on it just because a trophy annoyed someone. If you are going to hate a game based on that always check missable trophies before starting aa game. I always used to do that when i used to try to plow through games quickly.

1 minute ago, LockheedPrime said:

it was an ok game, played it around the time it released, got the platinum, don't remember having any trouble with bugs, it was something original at least, now most games are carbon copies of the open world zelda/witcher formula or the telltale style for interactive story games, this was different enough

Yeah exactly it was different enough for me to think it was worth playing and felt more like a game than the telltale stuff where you are really limited in tiny areas

10 minutes ago, TheArcadeKid said:

I'm really glad to see that this game has its fans. I admit that the overall concept is a bit wonky (the entire ghost detective thing, honestly) and it never really gels into a truly cohesive experience - but the atmosphere's just fantastic, and the moment-to-moment gameplay is a lot of fun.

Thought the same dude

• Like 2

It's a good game. 

I liked it when I played it years ago on the PS3, and just today I have buyed it again for the PS4 because it was on sale and I could get another easy platinum. 

The story of a ghost trying to solve his murder isn't very original, here in Italy we had a TV serial with the same plot, and there is Ghost Trick on the DS, which is a very great game. Anyway, despite all, with the ghosts, Salem, the witch hunt, the killer, all this elements combined makes a good thriller. Gameplay wise, it is very story driven and has too many collectibles, this I can understand if some people don't like it, but for me this too it's not a problem. In the end not a masterpiece, but a pretty decent and valid game. 

Edited by Play3GianniGreed

On 3/22/2020 at 11:44 AM, HuntingFever said:

Other than some wonky controls and the insane amount of collectibles, I really like this game and must get around to finishing it off at some point :).

It’s an amazing game. I loved every minute of it. From a trophy standpoint, it’s a fucking nightmare, but on a casual side it is riveting and feels a lot like a movie.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...