Can we talk about how f***ing hard this game is?

jonesey46

That's actually just very good polished mechanic. You need to learn and get it. 

But, the thing is I believe it's much better to play that game on PC. I really like fast-paced FPS but it's very hard to play such shooters with dualshock (I mean in comparison with good mouse and keyboard).

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AloneBert- said:

That's actually just very good polished mechanic. You need to learn and get it. 

But, the thing is I believe it's much better to play that game on PC. I really like fast-paced FPS but it's very hard to play such shooters with dualshock (I mean in comparison with good mouse and keyboard).

Oh don't get me wrong the game is brutal, but it works. The only thing that I think doesn't work is the Marauders as they break the flow of the whole game and they're too annoying to deal with. There's a steep learning curve and once you get the hang of it the game gets more manageable but even then it's very easy to lose your way and get absolutely annihilated. It's pissing me off but I love it and can't wait to play more of it.

I imagine the game is a lot easier with a mouse and keyboard, even if you're great at console shooters I imagine you'd still struggle with this as the Dualshock just doesn't do the job well enough.

1 minute ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

i bought it, but not tried it yet. glitched shite putting me off. might play new dawn first and see if it's just because so many ppl are at home overloading Bethesduh's servers.

I think the glitched trophies are only concerning the multiplayer so it's definitely worth giving the single player a go. I've only played a couple games of Battlemode but not enough to encounter any glitches.

cool, i'll give it a go tonight then

1 hour ago, jonesey46 said:

Oh don't get me wrong the game is brutal, but it works. The only thing that I think doesn't work is the Marauders as they break the flow of the whole game and they're too annoying to deal with. There's a steep learning curve and once you get the hang of it the game gets more manageable but even then it's very easy to lose your way and get absolutely annihilated. It's pissing me off but I love it and can't wait to play more of it.

I imagine the game is a lot easier with a mouse and keyboard, even if you're great at console shooters I imagine you'd still struggle with this as the Dualshock just doesn't do the job well enough.

I think the glitched trophies are only concerning the multiplayer so it's definitely worth giving the single player a go. I've only played a couple games of Battlemode but not enough to encounter any glitches.

2 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

I'm playing on Hurt Me Plenty (which is normal mode) and I am getting my ass handed to me constantly. There's so many enemies all at once, the Marauders are the biggest pain in the ass going, the Archvilles buff everyone so you have to kill them first but they take an age to die, I'm constantly running out of ammo and health, there always seems to be a lack of small enemies to chainsaw when you REALLY need them and there's just no time to breathe. My adrenaline runs so high when I play this game. I'm playing it the way they want me to; constantly moving, using every resource and weapon I have, constantly focusing on weak points, glory killing everything but even that doesn't feel like enough sometimes. 

The game is great but it's super hard. It's not a game you can play to wind down after work as it requires your full undivided attention.

I just needed to vent.

It's okay, I hate the snake and spider demons so much. Since there's no difficulty-related trophy for completing the game, I've just been playing on the easiest difficulty. I've still died plenty, but I rather have fun, than worrying about getting my ass handed to me. I knew what to expect, having played 2016. I know I won't be able to get the optional secret encounters done until I get at least get the Unmakyr, so I've been skipping those. I do like the parkour, though some levels can be complicated, or make it impossible to get to items (specifically the Gore's Nest level..no matter how I approached that vertical tentacle thing, I could never get the 1 up from on top of it, and then there was a codex behind a building opposite, that I could not figure out how to get to. 

When in doubt, use your ice grenade. 

And then there's ultra-nightmare. I don't even know how people could do it.

Yeah, I look forward to gameplay videos of ultra-nightmare runs w/o upgrades and damage. 

• Like 1

actually, It’s not about that it’s easier cause as I heard the game adapts when you play on Pc with mouse and when you turn controller on there (that’s wonderful). So you’ll have more agressive enemies. BUT. I believe that the main difference is the movement ability ex. shoot anything while running more easily or sidedash and jump while targeting enemies. 

Also, I believe that base ps4 have good optimization but blurry textures... so I really wish now to play that game on a good pc (in ultra settings ???) because it’s so great. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

It's okay, I hate the snake and spider demons so much. Since there's no difficulty-related trophy for completing the game, I've just been playing on the easiest difficulty. I've still died plenty, but I rather have fun, than worrying about getting my ass handed to me. I knew what to expect, having played 2016. I know I won't be able to get the optional secret encounters done until I get at least get the Unmakyr, so I've been skipping those. I do like the parkour, though some levels can be complicated, or make it impossible to get to items (specifically the Gore's Nest level..no matter how I approached that vertical tentacle thing, I could never get the 1 up from on top of it, and then there was a codex behind a building opposite, that I could not figure out how to get to. 

When in doubt, use your ice grenade. 

Yeah, I look forward to gameplay videos of ultra-nightmare runs w/o upgrades and damage. 

The two enemies I can't stand are the Archvilles and the Marauders. The Marauders don't fit into normal combat scenarios, the boss fight was fine but when they show up after that I just get so annoyed. The Archvilles are fucking torture, as soon as they show up every enemy gets buffed and they infinitely spawn so there's no point killing any of them. You focus your fire on him but his 20 minions are bombarding you constantly and it's hard to see whats going on. 

Every time the game gives you something that makes you a little more powerful they introduce a new enemy or variant that levels the playing field. Like, I thought I was supposed to be this legendary, unstoppable marine? 

I loved Doom 2016 and while I am really enjoying this, it isn't what I expected it to be at all.

I'm loving this game the way you can go from near death to full health and wipe everyone out makes me feel like a true slayer. I'm mainly running with super shotgun with flaming grapple to boost armour then bloodpunching the crap out of everyone. If you have the skill that adds excess armous and health to bloodpunch you can end up punching everyone muahahahah

28 minutes ago, Golden Devil Gamer said:

I despise the Arch-viles though. They serves as a buff totem, while being super tanky in health. Plus their fire shield is annoying. And since all of the enemies have a red aura around them, it's hard to find the Arch-vile in the area. The first fight they were introduced in, the game doesn't mention anything about them until they're killed. I spent a good 30-40 mins killing the constantly respawning enemies while looking around for a buff totem (thinking that that's what's respawning the enemies). When I found out that all I needed to do was kill that one guy with the fire shield, I was kinda pissed that the tutorial for the Arch-vile didn't pop up before the fight started. The game constantly spoils demon reveals by having their tutorial and tips pop up right before the actual demon appears. It's strange that they didn't do that for the one enemy that requires it. 

Dude, thank god you mentioned this. That first fight with the Archville in the courtyard was so dumb, I was running around for a good 10 minutes trying to find the buff totem until I realised it was him that I needed to kill. I thought I skipped the tutorial by accident or my game glitched or something but if it was the same for you then it'll be the same for everyone. It's so dumb that it gives away the details of every demon before you even see them but they missed that one. 

• Like 2

It's definitely tougher than its predecessor, but very doable. I completed the first one on Nightmare, but actually ended up dropping down to Ultra Violence for this one after a few missions. If there was a trophy involved I absolutely would have played through on Nightmare or even Ultra Nightmare, but it's not worth the stress and patience for me as it is.

Make sure you use all of the tools at your disposal and move constantly. Movement is the key to winning every encounter in this game. Certain weapons are ideal for certain enemies (ex. Ballista or grenade launcher for Cacodemon) I'm not sure how you're running out of ammo, always found I had a surplus of ammo for at least a few of my weapons in every encounter. Maybe focus more on the bigger guys and go after the smaller guys with your chainsaw every few kills. I agree that archvilles in particular are frustrating. The crucible was a godsend for these guys once I got it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

I think the glitched trophies are only concerning the multiplayer so it's definitely worth giving the single player a go.

My friend didn't got the trophy for upgrading all weapons. For some reason in-game tracker says that one of the weapons is still not mastered, yet it is. So, he gotten all the collectibles and now forced to replay again for masteries.

I will wait for at least one update myself.

Edited by Akrioz

18 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

It's definitely tougher than its predecessor, but very doable. I completed the first one on Nightmare, but actually ended up dropping down to Ultra Violence for this one after a few missions. If there was a trophy involved I absolutely would have played through on Nightmare or even Ultra Nightmare, but it's not worth the stress and patience for me as it is.

Make sure you use all of the tools at your disposal and move constantly. Movement is the key to winning every encounter in this game. Certain weapons are ideal for certain enemies (ex. Ballista or grenade launcher for Cacodemon) I'm not sure how you're running out of ammo, always found I had a surplus of ammo for at least a few of my weapons in every encounter. Maybe focus more on the bigger guys and go after the smaller guys with your chainsaw every few kills. I agree that archvilles in particular are frustrating. The crucible was a godsend for these guys once I got it.

Oh yeah I'm up to the last mission now so I know its doable, but god damn I die a lot. I've been reading some stuff on Reddit as well as the comments here and I think dying a lot is just apart of this game, like Dark Souls. I was a bit worried about going to Reddit at first for fear of just being told to 'git gud' but everyone seems to be in the same boat so it's all good.

• Like 2

I'm playing on Hurt me Plenty at the moment. Never played the 2016 game, wheras I have played Doom 1 and 2 fairly recently.

The thing I don't like (in an otherwise fairly engaging experience so far) is the way you get ammo and health. It forces you forwards into madcap fights where you're spinning on the spot. I prefer - in any game like this - to pick off enemies from longer ranges and approach the closer fights tactically and with some sort of logic.

Tbh, the above is how I played Doom 1 and 2! 

Edited by JPageMartin36
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

The two enemies I can't stand are the Archvilles and the Marauders.

Only just faced my first marauder, and it was tough, but my super shotgun helped a lot. Haven't gotten to the Archville yet. I need to get back to Doom 2016 eventually

• Like 1

Use ice grenade. That will save your life plenty of times. There are certain weapons that can one shot most enemies when frozen. Different for every enemy though. Also the slow motion rune is super useful. Will give you time to choose target and aim better. The tune that lower gear cooldown is another really strong one.  But yeah the game is a fair bit harder then Doom 2016 but gets easier with upgrades and more experience playing it. 

Edit: Marauders can be killed with the BFG even if the game tells you they can't, if you are really fast switching weapon after stunning them you can one shot them with the BFG.

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 4

I played the whole game on Ultra Violence and thought it was such a perfect difficulty. There were some annoying fights, clipping and collision issues while trying to dodge shit and that secret fight towards the end of the game that asks you to kill a marauder in under 25 seconds can kiss my ass. But on the whole, I loved how hard it was generally. I play a ton of hack and slash games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta and the like. This game felt more like a character action game than a first person shooter at times and I utterly loved that about it.

One thing I'd like to see however is more Master Levels and the ability to replay finished Master Levels with cheats. That'd be so much fun.

Oh and spoilers,

Spoiler

YOU BASTARDS BETTER LET ME PILOT THAT MECH IN THE FORTRESS IN ONE OF THE DLC PACKS! LIKE WTF ARE YOU DOING TEASING US WITH THAT THING AND NOT LETTING US USE IT?!

• Like 2

I've started again on the easiest difficulty. It's not that my skill level is low for this sort of thing. The motion sickness element is killing me in these long fights where you literally have to fight 20 monsters without stopping (instead of being able to shoot a couple and then tactically withdraw). I enjoy the game but can't play more than 20 minute sessions. 

I'm about 4/5 through on ultra violence right now, and when I switched it for a particularly hard fight down to easy, I didn't see a difference at all. I think the difficulties differences are very minimal, with the game just being challenging in general. 

Edited by WatertownsFinest
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rakinho993 said:

I am afraid how hard will it be to finish with 10 lives on your inventory. That is the one beside mupltiplayer I have left.

Play it on easy and upgrade your slayer perks to allow for extra lives to show up on the map. Constantly look for them and you should be fine. I finished with 31 lives and never used one.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheTriadThunder said:

Play it on easy and upgrade your slayer perks to allow for extra lives to show up on the map. Constantly look for them and you should be fine. I finished with 31 lives and never used one.

I had a problem on a battle against Khan Maykr. How did you do it? How much extra lifes are there aproximately? Thanks very much for your advice!