Uncommon Platinum?!

Kiyan-13

How come Bloodborne's & Dark Souls series' platinums are not that rare?

I decided to pick Bloodborne because I like that dark setting and I just checked to see it's platinum and it seems pretty common platinum with over 20% of people earning it. Same goes for the 3 Dark Souls games, none of them is below 15%.

Don't really know how many times I have heard about how difficult these games are and if you check their guides they say that you need about 50-80 hours(for each) with a difficulty between 6-8/10.... Considering these facts, it's really surprising that they are so common. I'm gonna play it anyway, just wonder why?

Edited by Kiyan-13

1. They are not that hard. The difficulty of the BB guide of 7/10 is probably because of a handful of challenging bosses (especially in the cursed dungeons), but overall the game and platinum is all in all relatively easy.

2. Compared to other games, Soulsborne games aren't played by that many casual players. That's why even the PSN-% is relatively high.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kiyan-13 said:

Guides are incorrect? About difficulty and time needed?

No, they aren't. Think that the guides are written from the perspective of an user who has never experienced a game like it. If this is a first dwelve into the genre, then it's absolutely correct. As for seasoned players, other than finding the optimal build, the mechanics are pretty much common knowledge.

In terms of rarity, those games have gotten more popular through the years, so a lot more players are willing to give a try and even get the platinum. Be aware that the rarity on the site applies ONLY to registered users, so the rest of PSN players are not taken account. On a site that's about trophy hunting, yes, they are uncommon. Outside of that ecosystem, rarity is still on Very Rare or similar.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Kiyan-13 said:

Guides are incorrect? About difficulty and time needed?

The time is accurate, but that has nothing to do with difficulty.

The difficulty is up to the guide writer. While there may be one or two troublesome bosses, using co-op turns these fights into a joke imo. You could honestly run by a lot of enemies as well which not only lowers the difficulty but the time as well.

• Like 1

I was in a point of my platinum run (the extra dungeons+final boss of the main story) where the bosses could kill me in 3-4 hits or even instant kill me, more or less like the enemies. But rushing away toward my objective was the solution as well as abusing of the co-op system to get a pro with me who could kill the boss for me while I was focused on survival.

As long as the community is alive and carry people like me, the platinum won't be particularly hard, but I say also that the current rarity is too high, it would be better between 10-5% or something like that in my opinion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kiyan-13 said:

How come Bloodborne's & Dark Souls series' platinums are not that rare?

I decided to pick Bloodborne because I like that dark setting and I just checked to see it's platinum and it seems pretty common platinum with over 20% of people earning it. Same goes for the 3 Dark Souls games, none of them is below 15%.

Don't really know how many times I have heard about how difficult these games are and if you check their guides they say that you need about 50-80 hours(for each) with a difficulty between 6-8/10.... Considering these facts, it's really surprising that they are so common. I'm gonna play it anyway, just wonder why?

I say BB is around 5.5/10 maybe 6/10  if you take out that damn cursed level its a 2/10 lol I hated that part of the game ... Almost gave up .. But sometimes need to put the controller down and take a break and start back up amazing how you can pass it later on :) 

11 minutes ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

I say BB is around 5.5/10 maybe 6/10  if you take out that damn cursed level its a 2/10 lol I hated that part of the game ... Almost gave up .. But sometimes need to put the controller down and take a break and start back up amazing how you can pass it later on :) 

Good thing the cursed chalice is skippable

• Like 1

It's not a matter of difficulty. They're not rare because the games are incredible and rewarding and absolutely worth exploring to their fullest, and if you do that you'll get the platinum without even trying. Each one has their own quirks and patterns, and once they click for you, you'll wonder why you thought they were difficult in the first place. It's the perfect balance of "challenging but fair".

• Like 1

While i think Soulsborne games are difficult they include the coop option. I played Dark Souls and Bloodborne with a friend together which makes things easier. And coop enables something else too: I collected all special weapons in Demon's Souls for example and trade them for all rings to get the trophies easier. In Bloodborne i was given all items to get some covenants to lv 2 or 3 as needed for magic spells...

I believe that the rarity is due to the fact that the regular enemies prepare you quite well for the bosses or the general gameplay.

Being ambushed by some fast attack-spamming enemies makes you automatically approach things in a more careful manner.

But what really makes the games hard if you wanna call it like that are the maps sometimes.

Just thinking about walking over those beams in anor londo (DS1) while some annoying ninjas approach you makes me wanna throw up.

Edit: Not to mention fighting against that one boss on a small platform surrounded by lava (and being pushed into the lava over and over again (DS2))

Edited by Jasko_SOA

I think they are more time consuming than hard. Dark Souls iirc needs a lot of pvp to get items to trade for spells but the pvp in those games are not for everyone they are laggy, full of cheaters and unfair plays (people summon you to pvp but they are coop with 3 others so they kill you 4v1)

Bloodborne is just the chalice dungeon that are huge, probably the same amount of time to beat the entire game just to get 1 trophy of these dungeons.

• 2 weeks later...

It largely has to do with the fact that Souls-like games don't attract a lot of casual players. Those that get into these games know that they're gonna go through, hence less people dropping the game. Those that play and like these types of games mainly like it because of the challenge, therefore they want to make sure that they experience everything from the game. They would naturally want to defeat all bosses and collect all weapons, which is basically all you need to do to get Bloodborne's plat. I have friends that aren't trophy hunters at all, yet they got the Bloodborne plat by playing through the game naturally. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Because Souls-like games are considered niche games. They don't appeal to a large section of gamers and ones that play them are already hardcore or completionist gamers in my opinion. For instance, Devil May Cry 5 has also hard trophies but it has much lower platinum rarity than DS III. That's because it also attracts casual gamers. You can just hop in and do some combos, beat enemies, chill and close the game on lower difficulties. I've platinumed BB and DS III, and I also was surprised when I checked it first but now it makes sense.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, turkishbadassX said:

Because Souls-like games are considered niche games. They don't appeal to a large section of gamers and ones that play them are already hardcore or completionist gamers in my opinion. For instance, Devil May Cry 5 has also hard trophies but it has much lower platinum rarity than DS III. That's because it also attracts casual gamers. You can just hop in and do some combos, beat enemies, chill and close the game on lower difficulties. I've platinumed BB and DS III, and I also was surprised when I checked it first but now it makes sense.

I don't think that makes sense. I mean, Bloodborne has over 600k owners here and more than 20% of them have the platinum, the 3 Dark Souls games have around to 300k owners each and thier platinums are around at 15%. Bloodborne's PLATINUM-owners are almost 3 times more than DMC 5's game-owners...

The numbers are huge, it's hard to believe that all of these people are determined trophy-hunters. I'm starting to believe that co-op and online help is playing a big role here. Do all of these games(Dark Souls, Bloodborne & Sekiro) have multiplayer that makes their platinums easier?

Edited by Kiyan-13

Ok I think I can help here with an opinion, having them all on my list.

• With the exception of Sekiro(and to some extent Demon Souls), every Soulsborne game has co-op.
  • The vast majority of players actually love these games and platinuming them actually has merit (aka you kinda covered everything and they are all proud platinums)
  • As mentioned above, most Soulsborne players know what they are getting into. Tough but rewarding games. It kinda tickles many gamer desires there xD 

So yeah...the Souls games have a certain...allure so to speak. It's one of those few series where rarity doesn't really matter, at least on this site : completing them is a big like. 

I'd say that yeah most people do co-op (and for good reason - chalice dungeons in Bloodborne aren't that fun for many) but....look at Sekiro! It's full single player and it's "tough" but it has a completion rate of almost 28%. People love these games THAT much.

Also @turkishbadassX ...all the soulsborne titles have manageable trophies,even for casuals. You really need to be a good ass player in order to get S rank across all difficulties in DMC5

A DMC4/5 platinum is way, way harder than a Soulsborne platinum. You really need to know your shit around those games xD Just my personal opinion. Many people just go "screw it I am not doing S rank hell & hell mode".

They're not hard. This meme started because of video game journalists of the same caliber of that Cuphead guy, they're normal non-hardcore games, yes  you may die a lot, but the death penalty is inconsequential except in Demon's (the hardest of the soulsborne, but even then, bosses are easily cheesable), and partly Dark Souls 2.

Look, if a game is hard, it will always be  niche, unless it has difficulty options to please a wide variety of people, soulsborne is not a niche  series  even if majority of the playerbase thinks so, Demon at the start  had a  niche audience because fair enough, it was 2010  and the information  was sparse at the time, so things were harder, but enter Dark Souls 1,  with its 10  20 if you  defeat a joke boss rechargeable estus  humanity that restores full health per use, (also, no real death penalty), easily farmable from a rat at the start of the game and broken (in the good overpowered  way I mean) poise alongside  easy co-op unlike Demon and you got a recipe for everyone being able to clean the game easily, look for example what Dark Souls 2 did with just a single estus at the start of the game and how many people cried about agility in a action ROLE PLAYING game and multiple enemies  alongside the return (but nerfed) of a death penalty and multiple enemies ambushing you, does that seem to you the mentality of a person who wants a challenge? No, because that was never the target audience, it gained traction because  game journalists died multiple times   not realizing that it was a simple trade off for the "fast"  checkpoint system, one thing is me dying against Gwyn  and doing the Klin again ignoring enemies, another is me dying at the end of Mission 19 of DMC4 Hell and Hell mode,  the checkpoint  system is kinda like the Crash g-, oh fuck, you did not just let me go there. Anyways, Bandai, not From capitalized on this "journalist" shit with their prepare to die edition of DS1, but other than that, the games never were hardcore, or attracted the 1337  pro player squadroon only.

They're pretty common, mainstream, whatever you prefer, not like GTA 5, but that doesn't make them niche, and the reason because they're  mainstream is because of the gameplay, setting and freedom to how you can approach them.

So do yourself a favor, don't believe the hype and enjoy them for what they are.

I did Bloodborne all by myself without any help from other online players. The most difficult portion of the game is the Defiled Chalice Dungeons. Dealing with Amygdala and that Watchdog boss were probably the toughest bosses in the game for me. The queen herself which is required for a gold trophy wasn't tough at all.

This was a fascinating game and despite what some people say, Bloodborne is not that difficult as you are led to believe.

I can pick hundreds of games out there that are much harder.