Is this possible without a wheel?

Kazuma_Kiryu1996

On 05.11.2020 at 0:54 AM, Baka_Marimo said:

Yup, everything can be done on a DS3. Especially if you make use of glitches. Delete the game data and reinstall the game. Now download and install all updates up to the sixth one (1.10). As soon as update 7 starts (62 MB) press :circle: to cancel. This turns the most difficult challenge in the game into a cakewalk.

Do you know if this works with the academy edition? Or is it prepatched? 

Edit: It is prepatched. Just checked it out. 

Edited by emboliformis

On 13.03.2021 at 10:49 PM, J23Krystian said:

So you can't do the glitch on Academy Edition?

Looks like that :(

So I ordered a regular version with the BCES00569 code, but it still says "the latest version is installed". I don't know which version to get lol.

On 13.03.2021 at 11:42 PM, Steva24 said:

Golding Vettel with a controller was one of the most satisfactory wins i got on a game. Monza took me 2-3 hours, Nurburgring 2 days and Suzuka almost 3 weeks. It's doable if you have patience! 

https://youtu.be/XfxxvvfyDLI

Congrats!

Edited by emboliformis

• 3 months later...

I'm currently doing the GT5 Vettel challenges on another account as I wanted to try to do these for a long time & have been able to jump into these. I never did GT5 originally as it was just something I never played. So many people have told me about the Vettel challenges & that even on a controller it would be a nice challenge. I also like fast paced racers where you must react very fast & precise. Since this is something that has been known to be very difficult especially on a controller (just like Dirt Rally 2.0 Flatout). I really had to give this ago. I've had a lot of people request me to attempt this, so it's nice to have a chance at trying this out.

I started yesterday on Monza & after a few hrs I got gold with a time of 2.03.700. I think I was on course for gold about 15 to 20 times on runs as I was ahead at the final corner but I either braked too late or accelerated too early, so I went flying off lol. I also had about 10 to 15 runs where I messed up & carried on but kept getting times like 2.04.300, 2.04.200 or even a 2.04.097 lol. I'm at the point now where I can consistently be comfortable on Monza, although I guess it was good to have the practice regardless.

I will see how I go on Nurburgring & Suzuka. After I've done these I'll have to go back to Dirt Rally 2.0 Flatout.

Update: After a few weeks Nurburgring is done with a time of 2.07.973. That was hard, just one to go.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

I've never used a racing wheel before, but sounds kinda fun. Looking into getting one, but will need to do some research. I want to use it on GT5, and any other racing games I have for PS4 and 5. Any input from others would be appreciated! Logitech G29 changes price a lot on Amazon, but leaning towards that one. 

For this plat, is the difficulty mostly in the 3 races talked about above, or spread out through the whole game? I haven't played it in years. Just wondering if I should stick to the controller and use the glitch...or invest in a wheel and have fun with it. Also, this is a great Q&A from Amazon lol

Do I have to wear a helmet while using as depicted in the cartoon advert above or is it safe to use while letting the wind flow through my hair?

Answer:

A helmet is only the beginning of the precautions I have taken. After receiving the product I found the lack of safety harnesses to be a major oversight. I am glad to say that after buying a XERO series seat from bride racing which has Achieved FIA homologation safety tests,and a summit racing 5 point racing harness some of my concern has been subdued. But I after a day of use that concern came hurtling back hitting me like a ton of bricks. I had no roll cage. I could not believe I missed this massive over sight. I then began my fabrication with 1 5/8-inch mild steel with 1 1/4-inch main hoop support bars which again subdued that concern which had been nagging at me for close to 3 weeks at this point. I woke suddenly in a cold sweat. I HAD FORGOT THE HELMET!!! I immediately got up and sprinted to the computer. After an hour of searching I had found it! a Stilo ST5 F Carbon and 1,500$ later and I can finally play Gran Turismo Sport in peace.

• Like 1

Regarding your first question about the wheel, I can't really speak too much about the Logitech G29 specifically but I did get a Logitech G27 a number of years back to do the Suzuka Vettel Challenge. Personally, I thought it was a great wheel (and based on that I'm assuming the G29 would be as well). The wheel itself felt nice to use and the pedals were great. No real complaints to be honest. But it didn't automatically make me better at the game overnight. It's the same thing with people asking if fight sticks will help them with combo challenges in fighting games. Like every thing, it requires some practice before you see any improvements. If anything, you'll initially be worse with a wheel if you've been using a controller for a while. At the end of the day, it really depends on what you prefer. The way I see it, I wouldn't get a wheel if you're just going to use it for a few events in this game. However, if you plan on playing other racing games, then it might be worth the investment. One thing for sure though is that using a wheel did make the game more enjoyable for me. 

Regarding your second question about the difficulty, I would say that the Vettel Challenge is the most difficult part hands down. There are a few other tricky events sprinkled throughout here and there such as a few specific license tests as well as the Eiger Alfa Romeo event that I found particularly difficult but I didn't find these that bad compared to the Vettel Challenge. In my opinion, I didn't even find Monza nor Nurburgring Vettel Challenges that bad. It was mainly Suzuka that gave me issues (was stuck on it for weeks... I even took a break from this game for like a year or so before coming back to it). I've heard some folks say that the Vettel Challenges are the only difficult part of the game, which depending on your skill in racing games, is not entirely true. Certain people didn't have any difficulties whatsoever except with the Vettel Challenges which is great for them, but there are still some other fairly difficult events especially for the more casuals. Sure, the glitch can make the Vettel Challenge a cakewalk but you'll need to un-patch the game of course. Some of us (myself included) had the XL Edition of the game that came pre-patched and the only options were to beat the challenges legit or get an original copy without the patches already installed. 

The Q&A part at the end was hilarious. The helmet is the piece that truly makes you feel like a pro! :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, z99f said:

One thing for sure though is that using a wheel did make the game more enjoyable for me. 

Thanks for all the info! GT5 looks like a huge grind, so it sounds like the wheel should make it more fun and realistic. I think since it works on all systems, and I have other driving games to use it on...I'll go for it. The trouble is the price on the G29 has 50 dollar price swings every day, will need to watch it for a deal. 

Cheers

12 hours ago, ThatDrunkGuy said:

Thanks for all the info! GT5 looks like a huge grind, so it sounds like the wheel should make it more fun and realistic. I think since it works on all systems, and I have other driving games to use it on...I'll go for it. The trouble is the price on the G29 has 50 dollar price swings every day, will need to watch it for a deal. 

Cheers

Having looked at what you are missing, a wheel is the right choise, I think. not because it's impossible to do it without, but it'll be much more fun and MUCH easier, once you  get used to it. I spent a ton of time on this game 8-10 years ago, and completed about 98% of what needed to be done for the plat, but eventually gave up, because of the stuff that was too annoying to do with a controller. Came back with a wheel lately and most of it was super easy. completed what was missing and i never thought was possible in a couple of days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skargarim said:

Having looked at what you are missing, a wheel is the right choise, I think. not because it's impossible to do it without, but it'll be much more fun and MUCH easier, once you  get used to it. I spent a ton of time on this game 8-10 years ago, and completed about 98% of what needed to be done for the plat, but eventually gave up, because of the stuff that was too annoying to do with a controller. Came back with a wheel lately and most of it was super easy. completed what was missing and i never thought was possible in a couple of days.

Sounds like a wheel is the way to go, thanks! Just gonna wait for a good deal on the wheel. Honestly needed a reason to do this grind, so maybe buying some gear will make me WANT to do it lol

On 02.03.2022 at 6:28 AM, ThatDrunkGuy said:

I've never used a racing wheel before, but sounds kinda fun. Looking into getting one, but will need to do some research. I want to use it on GT5, and any other racing games I have for PS4 and 5. Any input from others would be appreciated! Logitech G29 changes price a lot on Amazon, but leaning towards that one. 

For this plat, is the difficulty mostly in the 3 races talked about above, or spread out through the whole game? I haven't played it in years. Just wondering if I should stick to the controller and use the glitch...or invest in a wheel and have fun with it. Also, this is a great Q&A from Amazon lol

Do I have to wear a helmet while using as depicted in the cartoon advert above or is it safe to use while letting the wind flow through my hair?

Answer:

A helmet is only the beginning of the precautions I have taken. After receiving the product I found the lack of safety harnesses to be a major oversight. I am glad to say that after buying a XERO series seat from bride racing which has Achieved FIA homologation safety tests,and a summit racing 5 point racing harness some of my concern has been subdued. But I after a day of use that concern came hurtling back hitting me like a ton of bricks. I had no roll cage. I could not believe I missed this massive over sight. I then began my fabrication with 1 5/8-inch mild steel with 1 1/4-inch main hoop support bars which again subdued that concern which had been nagging at me for close to 3 weeks at this point. I woke suddenly in a cold sweat. I HAD FORGOT THE HELMET!!! I immediately got up and sprinted to the computer. After an hour of searching I had found it! a Stilo ST5 F Carbon and 1,500$ later and I can finally play Gran Turismo Sport in peace.

Hey, I have a Logitech G29 that I specifically bought for this game :)

This wheel is awesome, but not very helpful for GT5 in my opinion. I ended up trying this for a while and then going back to my good old ds3 to finish the game (I used the glitches for the Vettel events).

The main problem is the excellent force feedback this wheel has. While it gives a huge satisfaction and immersion, it definitely makes the game harder :) You can turn it down from 5 to 1, but you can't turn it off and it really makes things more difficult.

Years ago, I got a Logitech Driving Force GT which is an older, inferior model. I used it for a NASCAR special event that I had been stuck on for a while back then. And I immediately passed the event with ease, just like that. It was incredible. But then I never finished the game back then, and gave away my wheel and lost my save. Years later, I upgraded (!) it with a G29 assuming it'd be better, but nope, things didn't work out the way I wanted. So, while I agree about the fact that wheels (just like fight sticks) will take some time getting used to them, but the model is also an important factor. This old wheel was much better for GT5 in my experience.

About the difficulty... Vettel challenges are by far the most difficult events in the game. But I used the unpatched glitch for those. So other than those, the most difficult events are the Eiger Alfa Romeo event (took ~13 hours, target time was about 1 minute 17 seconds), the AMG Nurburgring intermediate full lap (this one took me ~25 hours, target time was 7 minutes and 5 seconds), Tuscan night challenge and a few of the licences (one slalom/cone challenge took me ~500 attempts, target time was something under 20 seconds). 

Edited by emboliformis

10 hours ago, emboliformis said:

The main problem is the excellent force feedback this wheel has. While it gives a huge satisfaction and immersion, it definitely makes the game harder :) You can turn it down from 5 to 1, but you can't turn it off and it really makes things more difficult.

Cheers, I'll look at some cheaper models...maybe some don't have the force feedback.

On 5.3.2022 at 1:41 AM, ThatDrunkGuy said:

License Test IC 3: Taking a Tight Double Hairpin....I can't even get silver with the controller. I'm not optimistic a wheel will help enough hahaha...but I'll probably still get one for the fun of it.

That one is bad. really bad. i struggled with that one a lot and at some point not knowing what i did, i did it. Keep at it.

another tip that might also help (both controller and wheel): when struggeling ALWAYS work with the car settings (TCS, active steering and all that stuff). Most of the times, these settings can make a HUGE difference!

Edited by Skargarim

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2022 at 4:03 AM, emboliformis said:

I bought the G29 for future games, but yeah it's a shame this game won't let you turn off force feedback. It makes the wheel fight you too much. I am getting more golds, but it would be much easier without the wheel fighting me...lol.

• 1 year later...
On 3/4/2022 at 6:03 AM, emboliformis said:

Hey, I have a Logitech G29 that I specifically bought for this game :)

This wheel is awesome, but not very helpful for GT5 in my opinion. I ended up trying this for a while and then going back to my good old ds3 to finish the game (I used the glitches for the Vettel events).

Years ago, I got a Logitech Driving Force GT which is an older, inferior model. I used it for a NASCAR special event that I had been stuck on for a while back then. And I immediately passed the event with ease, just like that. It was incredible. But then I never finished the game back then, and gave away my wheel and lost my save. Years later, I upgraded (!) it with a G29 assuming it'd be better, but nope, things didn't work out the way I wanted. So, while I agree about the fact that wheels (just like fight sticks) will take some time getting used to them, but the model is also an important factor. This old wheel was much better for GT5 in my experience.

About the difficulty... Vettel challenges are by far the most difficult events in the game. But I used the unpatched glitch for those. So other than those, the most difficult events are the Eiger Alfa Romeo event (took ~13 hours, target time was about 1 minute 17 seconds), the AMG Nurburgring intermediate full lap (this one took me ~25 hours, target time was 7 minutes and 5 seconds), Tuscan night challenge and a few of the licences (one slalom/cone challenge took me ~500 attempts, target time was something under 20 seconds). 

Any tips on the Eiger Alfa Romeo?  It's the last one I need to do for the plat.  Yup manual transmission.

On 17.05.2023 at 5:16 PM, captsplatter said:

Any tips on the Eiger Alfa Romeo?  It's the last one I need to do for the plat.  Yup manual transmission.

I did it on automatic transmission. It's very difficult, but not impossible. There is no ghost which makes things even worse. So you need to try over and over again and find the best way to take each corner. I think I was just trying to check out the exact time at certain checkpoints to see what I'm doing was better or worse. Normally a ghost will help with this, but unfortunately there is none on this event (unless I'm mistaking it with some other event). It's just very hard, so I'm afraid I don't have any other tips other than trying again as many times as necessary. Good luck.