PS3 messages in Japan will be limited June 30, 2020

DividedByMankind

I just wanted to note that Sony would probably get in lots of trouble if they disconnect PS3 from PSN entirely. Keep in mind that in this case your purchased digital good were all gone. I'm very sure that this would violate laws in many countries. I wonder if you can still access games you bought on Steam in its early days (2003 onwards).

31 minutes ago, Todd Coward said:

I just wanted to note that Sony would probably get in lots of trouble if they disconnect PS3 from PSN entirely. Keep in mind that in this case your purchased digital good were all gone. I'm very sure that this would violate laws in many countries. I wonder if you can still access games you bought on Steam in its early days (2003 onwards).

Ofc they would, so you will allways have your games but online sync for trophies or support for the game, they can do whatever pleases them ? says prob in user agreement,

Well, technically the user agreements also says that they can remove games from your account without a reason, but it doesn't mean they will. The very few times that it happened to me, it was a mistake and they were quickly recovered. Unless they want to distrupt a whole generation of games, well they'll be free to do so.

And yes, ALL Steam games from the early days are accessible. Hell, you can still play certain non-Steam, 20+ years old PC games online.

• 3 months later...

I noticed last weekend that it's now exactly as they stated it in march: The exchange of messages between PS3 and all non-PS3 systems doesn't work anymore. But you can still send messages from one PS3 to another PS3 and also invites are still working ?.

On one hand I like it, because I don't have to delete the huge pile of messages on my PS3 anymore, after I had a long chat in PS Messages App. On the other hand I see the old console generation dying and that makes me a bit sad ?.

I phoned yesterday the german Support to deactivate my systems. I also asked them at the end if he knows something about the PS3 server shutdown.

He said that PS3/PS4/PS5 systems run about the same servers so that there will be no need to shut down, because so it would´t cost Sony extra money to keep the access from PS3 to PSN alive.

Anyone of you has got a similiar answer?

6 hours ago, Philipppowitsch said:

I phoned yesterday the german Support to deactivate my systems. I also asked them at the end if he knows something about the PS3 server shutdown.

He said that PS3/PS4/PS5 systems run about the same servers so that there will be no need to shut down, because so it would´t cost Sony extra money to keep the access from PS3 to PSN alive.

Anyone of you has got a similiar answer?

Never seen word from official Playstation sources, but this is being said over and over the years and it makes total sense since it's indeed the same network they run. The Playstation Store is indeed a bit different between the consoles and for many years (Since 2015 at least) has trouble to run properly on ps3, but outside that, the network is the same across all platforms which is why you can still play your PSP online and even download games already bought on there.

Edited by Otonio_Bruno

It's now a worldwide thing that messages can only be sent from one PS3 to another. I don't have a PS4 so I always used the app to participate in group chats and it made communicating while in-game easier, but now I can't do any of that and it's back to the old school way of hitting the PS button to open up the message box.. It's unfortunate though that I can't inform some folks on my friend's list I can no longer see their messages until they log into a PS3.

• 4 weeks later...

This is fucking STUPID, Sony. I don’t cry because I cannot send msgs to PS4 players (did it perhaps once or twice). I cry ’cos beginning from June I cannot synchronize messages between PS3 system nad PS Messages app and vice versa. Before this stupid change if somebody with PS3 online wrote to me I got the notification on my phone or e.g. when I was using PS3 and wrote to somebody he/she could get the notification on their phone. Now it’s all gone. At first I thought it’s just me and I even reverted Sony apps version to June-previous ones but to no avail. Fuck it! I guess it’s just a matter of time when they completely shut down all PS3 multiplayer servers, just like good old DLNA on PS2 ?

7 hours ago, Aluminium_Sirius said:

This is fucking STUPID, Sony. I don’t cry because I cannot send msgs to PS4 players (did it perhaps once or twice). I cry ’cos beginning from June I cannot synchronize messages between PS3 system nad PS Messages app and vice versa. Before this stupid change if somebody with PS3 online wrote to me I got the notification on my phone or e.g. when I was using PS3 and wrote to somebody he/she could get the notification on their phone. Now it’s all gone. At first I thought it’s just me and I even reverted Sony apps version to June-previous ones but to no avail. Fuck it! I guess it’s just a matter of time when they completely shut down all PS3 multiplayer servers, just like good old DLNA on PS2 ?

Nah PS2 wasn't part of PSN.

1 hour ago, Aluminium_Sirius said:

They did it with PS2, they’ll do it with PS3 - that’s what I meant.

They didn't really believe in online back in the day. No online on PS2 was a non-issue, there weren't really online-exclusive things/modes/content. Virtually all games had no updates and/or some form of downloadable content.

That's so messed up,I'm really outta time for gaming news to not know about this during all this time...went to replay Killzone 2 in early august and found weird that I wasn't getting message notifications on PS3 now I know why,thought ma PS3 was acting up got worried.This really sucks...badly now I won't know if ma friends are messaging me when I'm playing PS3 and will have to use the damn app if I want to send message to them...oh well Sony continues to disappoint.Things are getting seriously dark for PS3...need to get ma crap together and focus on PS3 games.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:58 PM, JRL_1004 said:

It's now a worldwide thing that messages can only be sent from one PS3 to another. I don't have a PS4 so I always used the app to participate in group chats and it made communicating while in-game easier, but now I can't do any of that and it's back to the old school way of hitting the PS button to open up the message box.. It's unfortunate though that I can't inform some folks on my friend's list I can no longer see their messages until they log into a PS3.

I don't mind it. Makes things less cluttered.

• Like 1