Star Wars: Episode I Racer Coming to PS4

2 hours ago, Andrea9281 said:

I loaded up the game so I could share the trophies with everyone. Might make a guide to the game in the next day or two - it's quite a straightforward and fun list that basically just requires you to play the game as normal. Unfortunately the trophy tiles are quite bland and seem to all feature the game's box art, just like the recent Jedi Academy PS4 port. I would've loved to have tiles featuring some of these old character models lol, especially for those where you unlock specific racers.

Full list of unlock requirements in spoiler tags:

Reveal hidden contents

Platinum
Complete Amateur Podracing Circuit

Complete Semi-Pro Podracing Circuit
Complete Galactic Podracing Circuit
Complete Invitational Podracing Circuit
Finish your first race
Reach 700 MPH
Reach 1000 MPH
Come in first place
Taunt your opponents
Set a new lap record
Purchase your first upgrade
Use a cheat code
Hit 10 enemies with Sebulba's weapon
Unlock Bullseye Navior

Unlock Wan Sandage

Perform a boost

Finish all races in first place

Unlock Teemto Pagalies

Unlock Fud Sang

Purchase all of the best upgrades

Taunt during a boost

Repair your engies from "warning" status back to stable as Anakin
Unlock Sebulba

Unlock Slide Paramita
Unlock Aldar Beedo
Unlock Bozzie Baranta
Unlock Cy Yunga

Unlock Jinn Reeso

Complete a Mirrored Race

Are there any difficulty options in the game (even though you don't need specific difficulties for trophies) and are the controls good? Both jedi knight games felt kinda shaky and unprecise.

55 minutes ago, westersburg said:

Are there any difficulty options in the game (even though you don't need specific difficulties for trophies) and are the controls good? Both jedi knight games felt kinda shaky and unprecise.

No difficulty options of any sort.

I think the controls for this are pretty good. I have played only Jedi Outcast so far and found it so clunky that I lost motivation to finish it (maybe someday...) but the controls here are responsive enough, especially when you upgrade turning. It's certainly not the smoothest racing game on the market, but it's far from a frustrating experience too.

Another thing to note for anyone starting this over the next few days:

Don't input the cheat codes to unlock the Cy Yunga and Jinn Reeso characters until after you have beaten the entire game and earned the trophy for unlocking the other individual characters. I tested this and inputting the cheat code unlocks all racers instantly now. Beating the original race that would normally unlock a certain racer does not award the trophy if you have previously unlocked them via cheat codes, so you would need to create a new save and play through all the races again.

Edited by Andrea9281
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andrea9281 said:

Don't input the cheat codes to unlock the Cy Yunga and Jinn Reeso characters until after you have beaten the entire game and earned the trophy for unlocking the other individual characters. I tested this and inputting the cheat code unlocks all racers instantly now. Beating the original race that would normally unlock a certain racer does not award the trophy if you have previously unlocked them via cheat codes, so you would need to create a new save and play through all the races again.

Despite doing it in the 2nd save slot this may be the reason we aren't getting trophies for unlocking characters in the first save slot. We have Bullseye and Sebulba but the trophies for them haven't unlocked. If this is the case I wonder if having to delete the save off the HDD and starting completely from scratch will be necessary. Love the game so it's not a huge huge issue but could be an annoyance to some.

• Like 1

Very happy to note the game is now out, probably one of the first titles I'll grab when I get a PS4/PS5. No technical reason this couldn't have been on the Vita, but oh well.

Looking at the trophies as a veteran of the PC version (100% twice, most recently last year), this is a rather easy list that will see nowhere near the low completion percentage that Racer Revenge has. Episode 1 Racer is also much, much better than Revenge. Reckon this will be a 60%~ average game, if that. Hardest individual Trophy besides coming first in all races is;

Spoiler

Unlock Bozzie Baranta

If you know, you know. Will keep an eye on this thread and give tips as needed.

Wow thats the exact opposite of that, what @Andrea9281 wrote. But this would be awesome. I enjoyed Jedi Outcast but was very happy that you don't need to play on jedi master regularly. With modern controls it would have been a different thing. I think i will start this game once i finished TLOU2, so it will probably this weekend. Looking forward to see you guys get platinum until then :)

1 hour ago, Hanamaru Kunikida said:

After spending like 30 minutes with the game I discovered a few things that will surely come in handy:

- You can use the Mastercheat (RRDEBUG, then RRTANGENTABACUS - just look up the cheats for the N64 version, but replace the Z button with L2 and L with L1) to immediately unlock three trophies at once, one for entering a cheat code and the other two for unlocking Cy Yunga and Jinn Reeso.

Have you been able to get the trophies for unlocking other racers after doing this? Such as Teemto in the second race or Fud Sang in the Oovo IV one. I was able to get trophies for winning races with cheats enabled - they don't disable everything, they just seemingly prevent you from getting the racer-related trophies because the game doesn't play the cutscene of the podracer being moved into your garage after you defeat the character.

@Avatar_Of_Battle When I tested this I deleted my entire save file from the PS4 menu to be sure I could earn the trophies. I'm not sure if just deleting the one profile would be sufficient. I think the trophy pop is tied to the cutscene so if you were still able to get that on a second profile it might work.

Edited by Andrea9281

Some of the trophies are glitched, Aspyr (the dev and publisher) are currently working on a patch:

The winning all races in first place trophy glitched for me, so hopefully this is fixed soon. Would be ideal if it was before the trophy set goes live.

Edited by I-SilentEcho-I
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrea9281 said:

Have you been able to get the trophies for unlocking other racers after doing this? Such as Teemto in the second race or Fud Sang in the Oovo IV one. I was able to get trophies for winning races with cheats enabled - they don't disable everything, they just seemingly prevent you from getting the racer-related trophies because the game doesn't play the cutscene of the podracer being moved into your garage after you defeat the character.

Yes, played through the first seven races and unlocked every racer so far (and every trophy that is tied to them).

The game seems to be broken in a very... interesting way: The cutscenes for the new racers just don't play at all when the game is set to certain languages, at least when cheats are enabled. They play just fine while playing the game in German for example, but don't play at all when the game is set to English. It wouldn't surprise me if other trophies are broken in a similiar way.

Edited by Hanamaru Kunikida

1 hour ago, NicWarren said:

Tips for the "Purchase All Of The Best Upgrades" trophy?

go to the junk yard and buy the most expensive item or items you can, go into a race and switch invincibility on via cheat mode OR buy pitdroids and repair your ship during the race. After the race, go to Watto's shop and resell that part to him for a higher price than you bought it. Then invest that money into buying more items from the junkyard, rinse and repeat until you have around 75,000 lugnuts. I played it safe and got 90,000 but you don't need that much, then you just buy each of the best parts from the junkyard or watto's shop. If they don't spawn there, then you can back out to "switch vehicle" then go back into the junkyard and there will be different items of each type in there.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/n64/198780-star-wars-episode-i-racer/faqs/3635

the most expensive part in each list are the ones you need to buy for the trophy.

EDIT: To resell an item you own, select a part that makes your stats show a red bar, not a yellow one and then hit "buy". It's a little confusing at first but you can get it pretty quickly. You will always get more lugnuts from reselling at his shop than at the junkyard, so never resell there. Also I just remembered you can get more money for winning races if you hit left or right on the stick as youre choosing a race and it should allow you to set how much money you can win. Set it to "Winner Takes All" for the biggest payout.

If anyone wants permission to use what I said in a trophy guide then please ask me first.

38 minutes ago, Hanamaru Kunikida said:

Yes, played through the first seven races and unlocked every racer so far (and every trophy that is tied to them).

The game seems to be broken in a very... interesting way: The cutscenes for the new racers just don't play at all when the game is set to certain languages, at least when cheats are enabled. They play just fine while playing the game in German for example, but don't play at all when the game is set to English. It wouldn't surprise me if other trophies are broken in a similiar way.

That's really strange as I played the game in english and the cutscenes played fine for me. Seems like a buggy port overall

Edited by I-SilentEcho-I

Like mentioned above, individual character trophies wont unlock instantly apart from two of them. For the rest you still have to finish all the races, but you can use cheats in the races so it doesn't really matter as you have to get first in every race anyway. As I said before, some of the trophies are glitched at the moment so obviously you can't earn those even without cheats. Other than that you can use all cheats to get an advantage to unlock every trophy in some way even if it isn't an autopop.

Edited by I-SilentEcho-I

I'll try without first sure, but it was kinda a letdown that you couldnt use them in jedi academy since the controls were as unprecise as they were in jedi outcast. I really loved playing Jedi Outcast on PC back in the days because the controls were way better there.

2 hours ago, ChickenMan759 said:

Gotta prey Limited Run doesn’t get their grubby hands on it first 1f606.png

Based on all their other Star Wars releases, that might already be too late. But on the other hand, might also be the first "Collector's Edition" (hogwash) that I buy from them, rose tinded shades and all.

• Like 1

So, after rushing through the game twice I can also confirm that the trophy for winning all races is definitely glitched. Every other trophy seems to be achievable, so 91% is currently the maximum you can get. And yes, you can use in-game cheats as you desire, they don't block anything. At least of right now.

2 hours ago, NicWarren said:

Tips for the "Purchase All Of The Best Upgrades" trophy?

The most important thing is to change the payout method before each race. You can do that on the pre-race screen (where it shows the track records and the favourite of the race). You can choose between "Fair", "Skilled" and "Winner takes all". Choose the latter and make sure you win. Keep doing this for every race, while buying new parts and once you reach the final category of the tournament, you should have more than enough cash to buy your final part.

The payouts are the same for each race in each category: 2200 Truguts in the Amateur Circuit (7 races), 3300 Truguts in the Semi-pro Circuit (7 races), 4400 Truguts in the Galactic Circuit (7 races), and 5500 in the Invitational CIrcuit (4 races). You can earn 91,300 Truguts in total, which is more than enough. You will also get some Truguts back for your old part when you buy a new one from Watto, so you will never have to pay the full price. I finished the game with over 17,000 Truguts to spare, and I even bought all the additional pit droids (and didn't use the junkyard exploit).

2 hours ago, I-SilentEcho-I said:

That's really strange as I played the game in english and the cutscenes played fine for me. Seems like a buggy port overall

Hm, strange indeed. I just tried again and I just can't get the cutscenes to work when playing in English. Weird.

• Like 1