"Keep your expectations low boy!" I didn't and was disappointed.

ain_sr

On 3/28/2020 at 9:42 PM, Bitter_Dill said:

About the map... You have to realize that this is not Assassin's creed or something like that where you just follow waypoint and it takes you where you wanna go. This style of open world should encourage you to explore on your own and REMEMBER the path you took to get somewhere. The map is in my opinion very well made and it can't be done much  better because of the level design. It reminds me of Tomb Raider in that aspect. In my opinion GOW has some really epic boss fights and they encourage you to combine skills you have learned, especially in end-game fights. Another thing I wanted to mention is that studio had very limited resouces so they weren't able to create as much different bosses as they wanted so they recycled some of them... you probably know which ones. About MCU characters, I know they are very popular but how would you make a game based on Norse mythology without implementation of Thor and Odin? In my opinion studio presented Baldur extremely well and I have no fear that Thor will be good as well. Btw, why it is a problem if the same gods appear in both universes? I won't argue with what you said about armour and rpg elements because some people love that and some don't, they can't please everyone. I'm not a native speaker so pardon my poor english. 

Recently found out in an interview that the map was one of the last things they did for the game and they hired just one decent guy for it. They had to rush through the release and they couldn't make it better. They'll definitely improve it in Ragnarok given they know about the fans' feedback for it.

• 8 months later...

Wasn't expecting too much (seeing the huge changes between this and the original - and I loved the original series) so wasn't too disappointed or too excited.

It is a good and solid game, but to be honest, could have been a stand-alone game and not a GOW title, with a new character, and would have made exactly the same impression to me. No real sense that this had to be part of the GOW series... guess they were just trying to get more attention and sells just by using Kratos.

I mean until I got the Blades of Chaos it didn't feel too GOW, but damn once I got to use them, I did get some of the old rush again!

- Kratos has matured and everything but has lost a lot of edge from the previous games, in no sense he is greater now. I'm not here to avoid fights, but to kill Gods, let me have it!! ?

- Father/son relationship is so basic, dunno why you all praise it haha. Kid is an introvert because his father pays no attention, then his gets angry for not getting attetion, then once he learns he is a god he just yolos and then suddenly he becomes mature and understanding. And damn if I here another "boy" - great script.

- Secondary characters are mostly interesting, both Freya and the head were solid. Baldur was just ok. Alas, the dwarves were to be forgotten....gotta be the worst side characters in any game.

- Map was indeed bad. Feels better knowing they rushed it so was not their real intention but it's still on them. Mostly annoyed in the fact I couldn't zoom in more to actually check the zone I wanted, and that there was no real way when you were underground to check how it is connected to the above areas (for example if I enter an underground area in the mountains and go deep, is there an exit from the other side or do I need to backtrack?)

- The rest was pretty good, gear as it was along with upgrades was not too basic nor too complicated. The special moves were a nice touch and interesting (and giving Atreus one as well). Though would have hoped we could have upgraded Atreus' gear a slight touch more than just buying an outfit and bye. Enemies do needed more variety as mentioned. Amazing graphics, but as all other in its kind, so no surprise there.

By being a GOW title, it fell short for me. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I'm currently going through the game. I think a point that has to be remembered is when games like this are given so much praise, is to remember that they're only going through the story experience side of things and rarely do they review from a 100% completion point of view. 

If going for just the story perspective and what you experience the game is indeed worthy of a 10/10 rating. But for a 100% completion experience it really destroys the game and in turn puts it among the worst experiences due to grinding etc. I'm currently at the point where I have story finished and now doing that mist area. I've been through multiple times and still need a further 60,000 mist echoes in order to unlock the tears and chests. 

Then there is the pointless map. I agree that the layout itself is badly designed, but the worst part for me it the question marks. Just have the info of what is to be found in each area straight away, because otherwise it just leads you to stop starting the game to find what the hell it is you're supposed to be looking for anyway. 

The way they structured the game is very messy. So much is left out of the main story and used as filler for after story content. 

It feels like the story is about 6-8 hours of content, then the next 30 or so hours is filler. 

Its a great game, worthy of game of the year in terms of the story experience you can have, but to name it best game ever is an insult to the likes of GTAV, Elder Scrolls, Fallout etc etc whereby there is hundreds of hours of continuous entertainment where everything has a reason for you doing it, as opposed to putting stuff in the game to fill it out. 

Edited by DanteIshimura
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

My 2 cents worth...

I have been a GOW fan since day one of the original game's release (2005). I was all-at-once blown away by the story, style, visuals, and epic game play. Not to mention the fact that Greek Mythology is one of my favorite subjects. So, this game was literally tailor made for me as a gamer, as well as a fan of this genre of video games. I also loved all of the other GOW titles in the series, plus all of their versions and multiplatform translations. I loved all of the series. GOW1, GOW2, GOW3, GOW: ASC, GOW:GOS, GOW: COO. Betrayal is the only GOW game I haven't played. And I have completed the original GOW game over 100 times. Back when trophies weren't my priority over actually having fun and trying to immerse myself in the whole experience that a good game had to offer. 

Fast forward to 2018. After seeing the trailers and media over the new GOW game, I was so hyped up. But after actually playing the game, I became bored and disappointed very quickly. It has taken me more than 5 years to continue playing after earning 3 trophies back in 2018. I am still struggling with it to this very day. I find myself making excuses all the time to not play it. I am a trophy whore, I know this. But I still try to keep things in perspective. I am not enjoying this game. I don't hate it, but I don't love it at all. Over-hyped, and blown up ridiculously all out of proportion. I am actually not looking forward to playing Ragnarok. But I will as I already have it on digital with my PS5 bundle. I will not be replaying GOW 2018 ever again.

That is all for now...

Edited by TheDarkKratos
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The combat in the game is fucking garbage even on the easiest difficulty if you decide to fight enemies at least 2 levels above you. I'm constantly yelling at the screen "let me do whatever tf I want to do" whenever I get one-shotted because I decided to do realm tears early or it throws random overly powerful enemies that I can mostly handle.

• Like 2

I'm sure most have already read my rant for Ragnarok. I still managed to platinum the PS4 and PS5 versions back-to-back though (without doing all that cheaty ass auto-pop nonsense) but it was a drag. The GoW in question here in this thread was straight dick cheese and I disliked every moment of it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Last post was August 2023. I just platinum this POS game. I feel like a slave who's been freed after 5 1/2 years.

I'm not looking forward to Ragnarok. Because it looks like more of the same Try-Hard crap. Was not impressed.

For me personally. GOW 1-3 were much more fun. I never ever got bored for a second. From start to finish, all good.

But for me GOW 1 is the best of all. I have completed it over 100 x times. But GOW 2018 bored me 2 hours in. Lmao.

GOW 1 had it all. Story, gameplay, violence, platforming, graphicness, monsters everywhere, JUMP button too. 

Edited by TheDarkKratos
  • Like 1

I haven't finished this game yet but i have to say that i'm enjoying it so much and i can totally see why it's the GOTY of 2018 and why some people think it's one of the best video games of all time.

the story , the characters , the voice acting , the world building , the graphics , the exploration its just so good.

but , it's not perfect for sure.

i think it's pretty unbalanced in some aspects , like the difficulty for example , sometimes i feel like the game is way too easy or way too hard , i find myself lowering and rising the difficulty pretty often because of this lack of balance , its so weird for me that an enemy 2 level above you can take you down in one hit (and yeah dont forget you're the GOD OF WAR so it just doesn't make any sense also).

the game always give me the feeling that i'm not strong enough to explore the map as i wish , i feel like i have to be top level with a strong armor just so i can go to anywhere i want which really takes a hit on the exploration part , especially for someone like me who like to collect everything and do all the side quest before finishing the story.

also the lack of variety in enemy types is pretty noticeable , some of the battles feel and look the same.

I also think that the combat system was more fun in the old GOW games , not that this one is bad by any means but just a bit less fun.

it is an amazing game tho , a solid 9/10.