Recently turned 30 and my wife is pregnant with our first, and I've just now discovered my trophy hunting itch

Sir_Bumfuzzle

What's good everyone? My name is Derek, and as I've stated in the title, I am a 30 year old soon to be father that has recently gotten hooked on trophy hunting. 

A little bit about my history with gaming:

First console was the N64 but I didn't start gaming hard until the PS1. PS2 consumed my middle school life until I got an Xbox 360. For whatever reason I never ended up getting a PS3 and was an Xbox fan boy throughout high school until the XB1 and PS4 came out. Even though I got both consoles around launch time I still mainly played Xbox as that is what most of my friends played. Well that was up until the past few months when most of my gaming friends have quit or are too busy to play as well as my Xbox has begun overheating and I don't really have the cash to fix that at the moment. 

So here I am today after spending the past few weeks going for trophies on games that have been in my backlog, and I am absolutely addicted. While playing on Xbox I did enjoy going for trophies though I was never too serious about it as I felt there was no real reason to do so. After hopping on PS4 and seeing the way the trophy system is set up and tracks how many games you have platinum'd, I feel like such an idiot for not giving Playstation more of a chance earlier.

Well now I'm attempting to make up for lost time and am looking for suggestions for some fun trophy lists! I'm looking for suggestions of games that have a trophy list that is truly fun to complete. Since I can be considered an older than average gamer now and the fact that I'm having a kid soon means that my time is limited so unfortunately I'm not looking for games with a huge time commitment. Basically, I'm just looking for games that are just a blast to play and have fairly straightforward trophy lists, or even some more challenging games that I can chip away at achievements over time as I get better at the game (like Dead Cells).

Anyway I've ranted long enough,

Feel free to add me as I don't really have many PS4 friends!

• Like 3

Welcome to the site!

If you enjoyed Medievil, Crash, or Spyro on the PS1, it is definitely worth looking into the remastered versions of those games for PS4. The lists are typically fairly short and easy, and they are faithful and wonderfully rendered adaptations of those classics.

I can't personally attest to this one (yet), but Spider-Man for PS4 received good reviews and is regarded as a fun trophy list. It has a ton of players but nearly 50% platinum completion, which is definitely a rarity for a game of its length.

I've been enjoying Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition recently. It's quite a grind to complete the platinum, but it's one of the best open-world games available thanks to its tight controls, novel setting, and interesting story.

The Infamous games available for PS4 (First Light and Second Son) are great abbreviated trophy hunting experiences as well as being good games. Neither are too taxing, but by the time you finish them you've basically completed all there is to do with their respective games, and neither wears out their welcome in the way that too many other games do.

That's some introduction.

30 years old is about average for this website. I've been to other websites where the median age is around 35 - 40 years and up, and technically I don't consider myself old. I'm older than a lot of trophy hunters especially on this website but I can't say I'm the oldest, nowhere close. There are guys here who have been gaming much longer than I have, so if anything, PSNProfiles has a good diversity of people who enjoy trophies.

I can sort of relate to your story. I was pretty heavy on the N64, I sadly never got around to playing the PS1 much because my parents were strict with how many games and consoles I can have. Around mid cycle in the PS2 era I was allowed to have more games and I had the opportunity to play stuff like God of War, Devil May Cry, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X and a whole bunch of others.

Personally I prefer a lot of indie titles to AAA titles simply because the good ones help maintain what was once standard: Playing some classic gameplay with a good soundtrack. I'm not one to go after hard games generally nor am I really trying to impress anyone, my profile is basically as I see fit and as long as I enjoy trophies, that's all that matters. I don't like having a profile with a lot of incompleted games, which explains the 96 percent completion rate.

• Like 1

If you are looking for some games that are not time consuming and enjoyable, then Untitled Goose, FEZ and Guacamelee series might be good for you. I would also recommend checking the psn store for some remastered games also. In fact I think Capcom has many great 2D action adventure games like the Megaman series, the Beat em Up Bundles and Strider. 

It usually takes players around 40 hrs to plat many recent 3A titles, I would recommend you to try some of them, like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and Bloodborne, in case you find 40 hrs not that horrible.

Good luck on your trophy hunting :)

just here to say that it's totally possible for you to be a great parent, have success in your business endeavours, a solid social life, heck even devote some energy to charity, etc. and still find time to enjoy gaming...that being said, I'd say play whatever piques your interest regardless of how short/long it may be...gaming is like dating in the sense that we all don't appreciate the same things and the more you know what you like the easier it is to find...since you haven't really mentioned what interests you (in terms of games) not going to bother making suggestions since I would find it kind of like giving someone I barely know a b-day present for myself or hook you up with a date with a girl I find attractive...if you have no idea what you like, great...we are lucky to live in an era where there is so much variety available at our fingertips...the words "online co-op", "funny", "hack 'n slash", "shooter", "epic", "gangster" and even "puzzle" are ones that appeal to me during selection..."RPG", "metroidvania", "platformer", not so much...how about you?...also, the forums here have plenty of top ten type threads if you're interested...

tl:dr...find games that appeal to you and play them regardless of your life situation...

Edited by ProfBambam55

• 1 month later...