What games would help in escaping the gloomy pandemic situation we are in right now?

ain_sr

3 hours ago, Redgrave said:

I guess I just have a different idea of lighthearted then, especially compared to a lot of other stuff I play. Though some levels are more gloomy and stand out that way yeah, but there are some that are normal or sunny towns. Or the Pleasure Quarter with the music that plays. :P Plus there are some sidequests and other characters that are comedic in some way, so while there is gloom and some dark moments I think it has a fair amount of bright or funny moments that wouldn't make you feel down or have a sense of dread playing it.

It's just not the strongest case of it. There are going to be games out there, like Bloodborne(?) that have a darker atmosphere, but it doesn't mean that games with not as dark atmospheres don't have it. A dark event—fairly memorable at that—takes place in Pleasure Quarters, actually.. but i'm not sure if you remember. Of course there's going to be some comedic events.. that's common even in the darkest games. But this game also provides a lot of dark interactions with characters.

Spoiler

The game is usually telling you through its story and character interactions how people get trapped and taken away by gravity storms, if they haven't already fallen into the gradually rising dark void, never to be seen or heard from again. People are frantic and depressed in this game because of the corrupt government, constant gravity storms (which has stolen loved ones and put people out of jobs), and/or the impending ruination that the prominent black void will bring to the world. The MC even interacts with a few deceased characters.

Not too surprising considering the director of the series created Silent Hill and directed the Siren series.

Edited by EcoShifter

21 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

It's just not the strongest case of it. There are going to be games out there, like Bloodborne(?) that have a darker atmosphere, but it doesn't mean that games with not as dark atmospheres don't have it. A dark event—fairly memorable at that—takes place in Pleasure Quarters, actually.. but i'm not sure if you remember. Of course there's going to be some comedic events.. that's common even in the darkest games. But this game also provides a lot of dark interactions with characters.

Reveal hidden contents

The game is usually telling you through its story and character interactions how people get trapped and taken away by gravity storms, if they haven't already fallen into the gradually rising dark void, never to be seen or heard from again. People are frantic and depressed in this game because of the corrupt government, constant gravity storms (which has stolen loved ones and put people out of jobs), and/or the impending ruination that the prominent black void will bring to the world. The MC even interacts with a few deceased characters.

Not too surprising considering the director of the series created Silent Hill and directed the Siren series.

I get that, but I think just because a story has some dark stuff in it, it doesn't overshadow the other parts of it depending on how heavy the tone is. Bloodborne for example has a lot of cosmic horror stuff going on and so obviously that would be something to avoid playing if you don't want something gloomy. With Gravity Rush though, Kat does try to be a hero and good natured to people around her even if they don't like her right away and she tries to be optimistic. There are dark things yeah, but that's just what she's supposed to overcome and I figure something like that would be appropriate here.

19 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

Play Zero escape!

No joke it's actually pretty darn good :P

This is definitely not something to play while trying to avoid gloomy games especially considering how messed up a lot of the endings are.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Redgrave said:

This is definitely not something to play while trying to avoid gloomy games especially considering how messed up a lot of the endings are.

It was just a lame joke at how the game was called "Zero escape" and you know.. we can't really escape from quarantine..:P

I reached my first ending (bad ending) yesterday and had a Holy shit moment. 

For op, I recommend any long game really that takes a while to complete. Many recommended the Yakuza games which I agree with. 

On 3/29/2020 at 9:33 PM, Redgrave said:

I get that, but I think just because a story has some dark stuff in it, it doesn't overshadow the other parts of it depending on how heavy the tone is. Bloodborne for example has a lot of cosmic horror stuff going on and so obviously that would be something to avoid playing if you don't want something gloomy. With Gravity Rush though, Kat does try to be a hero and good natured to people around her even if they don't like her right away and she tries to be optimistic. There are dark things yeah, but that's just what she's supposed to overcome and I figure something like that would be appropriate here.

I'm aware of the MC's optimism—one of my favorite and defining traits of hers—and so you're right about the things you're saying about her, but... the portentous elements still coexist with that. Along with everything else I said, a few recurring doleful themes play throughout the game, too, especially one in particular. GR's tone may not be on the level of Bloodborne (which is mostly my assumption from the little I've played), but it's also not even remotely comparable to say Spyro the Dragon or the slightly less lighthearted Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. I get what you've been saying... i'm just pointing out that the MC's optimism (along with a few upbeat themes and some comedic character interactions) doesn't eradicate or overshadow the prominent dark elements of the game. The only semi-combative point I see is the occurrence and effectiveness of her optimism, but focusing on just that—especially something strictly character related—is a single-minded thing to do. Her optimism is admirable, but it doesn't purge the world of the darkness that still resides and the damages that happened.

I mean, technically, I can recommend Gravity Rush (series), though... The TC detailed that they only want an escape from our gloomy reality, not those found in other games ?.

- Uncharted 1-2-3-4 all in a row. Great journey with a beautiful end.

- Red Dead Redemption 2: Go for the platinum it will be the end of June when finished probably

- Crash Bandicoot trilogy: colorfull, amazing and just lovely. Not much thinking is needed

- Spyro trilogy, same as Crash

- Persona 5: You will lose sense of time and the day. It consumed my life for a long week so thats a good one

• Like 1

On 29/3/2020 at 6:12 PM, MatrixThing said:

I really don’t understand people saying RDR2 when the OP wants to forget about a disease and needs something light hearted!

I just started Yakuza Zero. It’s amazing! Loads to do and whilst the main plot is intense, some of the crazy side stories have made me laugh out loud. 

Perfect game for right now. 

RDR2 isn’t about a disease but okay.

Having had a look at my trophy list I’d say that Uno is probably the most friendly game I’ve played. The music is upbeat and I haven’t come across anyone toxic. Trophy list is easy too.

If you prefer something with more action I’d probably suggest something like Just Cause, I have played the third installment and it’s great fun to blow everything up. There are a few challenging trophies as well.

Just finished Assassins Creed Origins and had a blast with it. Far Cry games are great too. Yakuza Kiwami was fantastic.

Edited by Emina
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 5:38 PM, PooPooBlast said:

Play Zero escape!

No joke it's actually pretty darn good :P

I mean, in Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma...

Spoiler

there's the whole Radical-6 virus that's infected 75% of the population in different timelines.

Definitely a good way to forget about what's going on now :P

My recommendations based on games that I've played that don't have a super dark plot:

Atelier Rorona (most Atelier games are upbeat but all of them, except Rorona, have some underlying darkness)

Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists

Cat Quest 1 & 2

Spyro Trilogy

Persona Dancing games

Overcooked (though you may end up wanting to murder your co-op partner, so maybe not the best idea while sequestered)

Shaq Fu (the plot is too ridiculous to be considered dark)

Burly Men at Sea

Ni No Kuni 1 & 2

Unholy Heights

Hatoful Boyfriend (the "true" route is dark... but the rest is good fun)

Adventure Time: Jake and Finn Investigations (though I believe this has been delisted in the PSN store so you'd need a physical copy... other Adventure Time games may also be good choices but I haven't played them so can't say for sure)

Abzu (does have one dark part but it's mostly relaxing)

Hue

Machinarium

Terraria

Games to Avoid (note that these aren't "bad" games, some of these are among my favorite games, but they can get SUPER dark or depressing):

Actual Sunlight

NERO 

Dear Esther

Among the Sleep

Danganronpa series

Valiant Hearts

Syberia series

Claire

Virginia

Alice: Madness Returns

Yomawari: Night Alone

The Sexy Brutale

Detroit: Become Human

Forgotton Anne

If you just want immersion into a good world and don't mind some dark themes:

Tales Of series (Graces, Xillia, or Berseria would be my picks)

Final Fantasy series (World of Final Fantasy is really cute, but my main suggestion would be 9)

Shining Resonance Refrain

Earthlock

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

RDR2 isn’t about a disease but okay.

It isn't only about disease, however it is a major theme in the latter half of the game.

Spoiler

The protagonist dies of a lung disease (TB) over a long period of time, it was horrible actually. Given that the OP was asking for a game that 'would help in escaping the gloomy pandemic situation we are in right now', I still think it was a strange suggestion.

What Remains of Edith Finch doesn't really fit into that category either does it?

Both fantastic games, but really not what the OP asked for.

But okay.

Edited by MatrixThing

2 hours ago, MatrixThing said:

It isn't only about disease, however it is a major theme in the latter half of the game.

Hide contents

The protagonist dies of a lung disease (TB) over a long period of time, it was horrible actually. Given that the OP was asking for a game that 'would help in escaping the gloomy pandemic situation we are in right now', I still think it was a strange suggestion.

What Remains of Edith Finch doesn't really fit into that category either does it?

Both fantastic games, but really not what the OP asked for.

But okay.

No.

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles is worth checking out. It's a very lighthearted, cute, and fun game that only takes around 12 hours to get through the main story. It resembles Animal Crossing a bit. You get to explore many different environments on an island, from lush green forests to tropical beaches. It's relaxing, refreshing, and isn't expensive. It focuses mainly on crafting and exploring, but also includes fishing, farming, cooking, etc. Also, it has a platinum trophy if you're into that. Good alternative to Animal Crossing if you don't own a Switch. :) 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mayellie said:

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles is worth checking out. It's a very lighthearted, cute, and fun game that only takes around 12 hours to get through the main story. It resembles Animal Crossing a bit. You get to explore many different environments on an island, from lush green forests to tropical beaches. It's relaxing, refreshing, and isn't expensive. It focuses mainly on crafting and exploring, but also includes fishing, farming, cooking, etc. Also, it has a platinum trophy if you're into that. Good alternative to Animal Crossing if you don't own a Switch. :) 

Hey thanks, didn't know about this game. It looks so calming! 

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great thread, not just for the whole "pandemic" thing but also for finding games to break up those gruelling/grinding/tiresome platinums.

Spyro, already suggested here, is on my list to buy to break up the platinums (with platinums) and to have a fun, escapism game.

Probably not what most people would suggest but I keep Burnout Paradise on my hard drive so I can jump on there and destroy as much as possible on a show time event; very cathartic.

I always enjoy jumping into open world games too, although finding one that isn't post apocalyptic seems to be rare these days. Swinging around NY as Spider-Man is always great fun and I love exploring the world of Horizon Zero Dawn because it looks so damn incredible (although not exactly a cheerful story).