Flatout

Alexgaara

Game progress is stored server side.

I haven't tried using a backup save in this game, but from what I understood (and what Ghost-TeamX said), even if that saves your progress locally, it is also stored on Codemasters side,

And if on their side you ended up finishing multiple events with different difficulties, trophies won't unlock, even with a backup. Your only way of fixing this is either to wait for a patch or reset your progress (Settings -> Profile -> Progress reset).

15 hours ago, Fr33d0mT0uch said:

Hi i read some of your advices and it seems some very good players are here . I can t even beat the second challenge on very hard so it seems i need training

Do you have some tips for the driving to be faster ?

First of all I'd say 'practice makes perfect' in this game: getting a feeling for the weight of the car, its breaking and its acceleration etc. is the key for your success in this game. 

- listening to the co-driver is very important but also knowing the tracks and locations helps a bit. 

- cut corners when possible, use camber for your advantage and break late.

- drive with all assists off! makes you a lot faster once you are used to it. 

- when possible, tune your car. I googelt for setups and adjusted them myself little bit. makes you at least 1 seconds faster in each sector. 

- sit straight in front of your TV/monitor (90 degree): you don't want to give your brain any extra challenge by measuring up different distances. 

- I personally like to drive the Daily and Weekly Events because you always drive different cars and tracks 

- don't always restart if you crash – every driven km makes you better

I don't know what else to say... I simply played this game and its predecessor a lot and got better over time. 

Edited by OBSTINATIO
  • Like 3

To add onto what Obstinatio already said:

• Make sure you use weight transfer | oversteer | Scandinavian flicks as much as possible, on specials full of hairpin and long tight turn you could end up losing more time than you'd think (Dirt Rally original tutorial here, credits to Lewis Smith).
  • Use Ghost videos (here), to give you an idea of the pace you should be looking for. See where you're at at the 1 minute mark, and compare with his run, trying to pinpoint where you're loosing time.
  • Finish your runs, even if you know you won't make it. Get to know the driving line, the tight and | or tricky corners of the special. Learn and understand the feedback of your car, knowing how far you can push it (try and do the events in order, that way you'll keep your knowledge of the car and improve as you go along).
  • As much as I love my copilot, on some of those specials you'll have to learn places by heart to know how fast you can go on specific straights, or small turns (like there was some right 4 | left 4 that I took full speed, that I wouldn't have otherwise if I didn't know the location).

For what it's worth, I personally had more trouble with the first 2 set of events (pretty much blitzed through the last 2), and that probably comes from the fact that the games reuses the same tracks a lot, so I ended up being aware of all the hard & tricky parts of those tracks by the end.

So if the events look impossible at first, you might reach a point where it's starting to go smoother cause you're getting used to the tracks and the difficulty in general (MIGHT).

Of course it's different for everyone, but I'm guessing there's a rally you love more than others, maybe give it a shot first, see how well you can do there (I know I love the Greek one, so I ended up getting through Greek events rather quickly, whereas the Finnish one I struggled to no end cause I suck at it,).

It requires skill obviously, but it also requires memorisation - perseverance - patience, there's pretty much no place for mistakes, you have to push as much as you can all the time, so even if you're pretty good, and you're able to listen to your copilot properly, you're bound to hit something sooner or later, which adds to your knowledge of the track, which in turn allows you to drive even better than before knowing that bit of information you didn't have before.

if you're struggling driving with no assists, do it progressively.

Putting TCS & ESP on 2 and everything else off could be a good middle point, you won't lose much time, but you'd still have a bit of help on your side.

You could search for setups for cars like what Obstinatio said, or tinker with it yourself (just my basic car knowledge, I'm sure you could find more detailed post around):

• If your car oversteer too much to your liking, change the differential towards the backs wheels
  • If it understeer too much put it towards the front wheels
  • If you're losing control over your car on landings, toe in the front wheels (point the front wheels inward; that would make turns harder on you though, while a toe out setup would make turn-in easier, but landings worst)

I see you've played the first Dirt Rally game, so maybe you won't have any use out of those infos, but just in case thought I'd be thorough.

Edited by Alexgaara
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, I'm not at your level, just trying the second scenario, and I can't beat this damn timer... 

When I want to drive fast, my car slide or go into forest... When I am more carefull with speed, I am 25 secondes behind the first... I try to use the FPS view, to balance R2/L2 to drive fast, but I feel I don't control the gameplay... So frustrating, I did Meat Boy but it seems soooooo easier than Dirt Rally ?

Sorry, my English is not very good !

13 minutes ago, Leonkiller-7 said:

Hello guys, I'm not at your level, just trying the second scenario, and I can't beat this damn timer... 

When I want to drive fast, my car slide or go into forest... When I am more carefull with speed, I am 25 secondes behind the first... I try to use the FPS view, to balance R2/L2 to drive fast, but I feel I don't control the gameplay... So frustrating, I did Meat Boy but it seems soooooo easier than Dirt Rally 1f62c.png

Sorry, my English is not very good !

Just have to learn a different type of game bro, exterior view might be better and safer to see around you.

• Like 1

I got the trophy playing with a DS4 controller too.

As x7eight said, if this one of your first rally game, you're in for a tough time, and it's gonna require a lot from you.

First you should drive with all assists off (except maybe ESP & TCS on 2-3), because most of those assists are just that, assists that you can & will need to overcome, because if you keep them on you will lose time (which you can't really afford at this difficulty).

This might sound silly, but you need to make one with the car, you need to know how it will react based on your inputs and what's coming up ahead, before it reacts that way, you'll need adapt on the fly in many situation sure, but if you oversteer, understeed, go wide, lose control, there's a reason, pinpoint that reason, work on it, or change settings to help you out with the issue if you can't really overcome it.

This sets of videos from Dirt Rally are really good, you should definitely give them a look if you haven't already, if you don't understand why sometimes your cars react in a way you didn't feel coming (play with rumbles on!, they give proper feedback and you'll know when you're losing traction before seeing it), this videos will help with that.

Check GhostTeamX videos here, to get an idea at what kind driving & pace you should be aiming for.

You will need to be as good as him, not being able to keep up won't do it, check where he's at at different times in the video, and try and prinpoint where you lost time compared to him (corner entry and exit are vital, you could lose way more than you'd think because you don't take them properly).

It mostly comes down to being used to the game and the car you're driving with.

Edited by Alexgaara

Thanks for all your answers guys, you're great ! I'm trying again and again, the timer is good but on the second mission I always crash on a wood, it's why I can't beat this timer ! I hope I will become as good at this game ! I will watch all videos I can see to learn and possibly master the game ! 

• Like 1

Formidable challenge. So I started playing this on regular basis and I can attest this is really tough ! Can´t thank you guys enough for this thread and all useful information provided by those who finished this challenge, everything helps ! I finished 20 scenarios by now and I hope I can help too, at this level I believe even small details can make a difference, I also play with the DS4 and in my case I found it useful to fidlle with the assists to help control each car on each event, for example, stability control helped me with RWD cars, traction control takes away some speed so it´s best to leave at OFF on most events.

Playing them at random order I finished the last event on Scotland with the Metro (what a ride !), you can´t touch anything because of the damage requirement, but it seems the car is made of paper ! trained and trained and used every trick in the thread, including changing the units to imperial and managed to finish it with a 6:55 at 70.1 mph, my fingers where shaking and I the adrenaline was so intense I had to call it a day. I haven´t started the championships yet but I did the Sierra event on New Zealand with both long events and it was really tough to keep up through the multiple stages, how do you guys do it ? Is there a safe way to resume a championship you already started without triggering any glitches ? Ok maybe I would want that glitch from Monte Carlo but not the others :-)

Anyways, I fell that what makes it always tricky is the fact that you are constantly dealing with the danger of going slightly off road, most time just chipping on a small rock or bush is enough to destroy everything instantly. This is one of the most intense challenges I have ever accepted in almost 30 years of gaming, this is waaay harder than the original Dirt Rally and if I ever manage to finish it this "silver" trophy will shine brighter to me than most of my platinums combined. 

• Like 4

@Leonkiller-7 I see you haven't done the Historic championships yet, start by those, put the difficulty you want (might as well put it on very easy), but try and lower the assists you are using slowly (if you use any, obviously).

Don't try and drive agressively, just get a feel for the car (see if you can use any vehicles that are in the McRae DLC while doing so, could help too), get a feel for the locations too, look for tricky turns, try to memorize them to ease out your experience for Flatout.

It could be helpful, you'd definitely improve, maybe without realising it at first, but that could make the Flatout trophy a bit more approachable.

Just know that aside from the skills required to see it through, there's also a lot of memorization, perseverence, maybe even self-abnegation at some point.

@eduardohrks Thanks for your tips, as you said every little bit helps, and since everyone has a different play style it's cool to have more inputs from people using different assists or setups, it can only be helpful. ?

Well done on the Metro event, that "less than medium damage" requirement is just plain stupid, forcing you to see it to the end everytime just to realise you somehow got damage on a clean run is a really bad User Experience.

Personally the Sierra Cosworth events are the ones I struggled the most on with the Finland ones, the fact that it's a RWD, plus the codriver pacenotes being always late on the Scottish tracks (well, at least the French codriver), plus New Zealand under the rain iirc, it's like worst car + worst indications + worst settings.

Though after being done with those ones the rest felt "fairer" difficulty wise.

For the championships, seeing what causes the problem, I'm guessing putting your PS4 on sleep mode shouldn't cause those glitches to happen (hopefully!), problem is that you'll need to get through it before playing anything else, but better do this than lose progress on those events.

It's a ruthless challenge for sure, no place for any mistake, but being done with half the events (even if it's the shorter ones), I have no doubt that you have what it takes to see it through.

You might even feel like it becomes easier by the end, once you start coming back on tracks you've already played many times before, thanks to the fact that you're aware of the turns and those nasty rocks and bushes (like in Greece ^^ ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonkiller-7 said:

So, I finaly win the second scenario ! The hope come back, I tried the third 20 minutes and got 5 secondes behind the others to win it, so I think I will win this in a few time ! Thanks to you for the motivation guy ;) 

That's it bro, just have to keep going away at it, if you find yourself doing the same 1 for hours, it's best to take a break and come back to it later. But once you get going it's very fun and addictive and hard to stop.

• Like 1

Hi, guys. Just finished with the Scenarios and with the whole game today. Big thanks to everybody here for the great tips and tricks.

Especially big thanks to @Alexgaara for posting the times for the championship events ... these were super helpful because otherwise sometimes you don't know if you are good enough to continue or you should improve your time ?

Also big thanks to @x7eight for giving the tip using imperial instead of metrics for the last event (this saved my ass because I had exactly 70 mph at the end ... would not have made it with metrics in this case)

And of course big thanks to @Ghost-TeamX for making a video guide for these challenges. They were super helpful. Fun fact, but for most of the scenarios I can't agree with your opinion regarding the difficulty of the scenarios ^^.

For me the Greek Events and Sweden Events were relatively easy, on the other hand, all the Wales Events were pure hell for me ?

But the hardest events definitely were the Subaru Legacy Event in Scotland and the Metro Event in Scotland (last event). For both I needed around 4 hours to complete 

I am sorry if I forgot somebody but in general thanks to everybody here for giving advice and tips 

Edited by scheishaufen62
  • Like 3

@Leonkiller-7 Nicely done, hopefully you can see yourself improving as you go, keep 'em coming :)

@scheishaufen62 Happy to see that everything we've managed to pin down is helpful, that 70 mph win must've felt pretty good ^^

Congrats on the 100% man, and very well done on that completion time; between the length of the game and the sheer difficulty of the McRae DLC, anyone looking to dethrone you is up for quite the challenge ?

@Alexgaara Thanks a lot. But honestly I have to say, this completion time would not be possible if I hadn't your great tips. Especially your times for the championship events were so helpful, otherwise I would have spent hours for sure to improve some times even it's not necessary maybe ... but for a 5 Stage Rallye, how the hell you should know if your time is good enough after 2 stages for example? Maybe there is a stage at the end were the AI is just driving so freaking fast, you don't know this before

Yeah, the 70,0 mph were so sweet to see ... I already had 70,3 mph a few tries before but of course I damaged the car in the fucking last corner ^^. When I saw I was almost 1,5 seconds behind my previous time I prayed that it would not be 69,8 or 69,9 mph but thankfully it was enough.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the challenge. When the game was released, I was a bit disappointed because of the trophy list. Dirt Rallye 1 platinum was so much harder than this game. Even you have the Tier 1 trophy with the Audi Quattro S1 E2 here but remember in Dirt Rallye 1 ... there were 5 of these trophies (you had to do them with every class of car). Now you only have to win one event in career (compared to Dirt Rallye 1, where you had to become champion on masters difficulty). By the way, I missed the Hillclimb Events in this game, otherwise it would be a perfect game ;)

But, and that's the only negative point I have to say about the challenges - why for gods sake is it necessary to finished the last event without even a small damage? I mean for a Rallye game it does not make much sense to avoid every kind of damage

Like I said before, I really loved the game and especially the DLC, because here it gets necessary to master the game. Platinum is achievable for almost every casual player (maybe lets say a bit advanced due to the Audi Quattro Trophy) but you will never get 100% without mastering the game. I also like easy games, no doubt. I think everyone likes playing casual games from time to time but in Racing Games, especially simulation games, there is nothing I like more than such challenges. Of course they have to be fair and in this case they are ... only exception might be the damage criteria in the last event.

• Like 3

How would this trophy compare to other hard racing game trophies, for example Wipeout HDs hardest, Need for Speed Prestige gold events, Gran Turismo 5 Red bull events. From what i researched on this game, it seems that this might be one of the hardest racing game trophies out there.

1 hour ago, Orphioon said:

How would this trophy compare to other hard racing game trophies, for example Wipeout HDs hardest, Need for Speed Prestige gold events, Gran Turismo 5 Red bull events. From what i researched on this game, it seems that this might be one of the hardest racing game trophies out there.

You could have a look at my profile. In my Trophy cabinet I ranked my hardest 5 trophies in the order of difficulty. BUT this is of course my personal opinion and might not be the same for other players or you. AND this is my ranking for difficulty and not time  :)

I have not played Wipeout yet, so I can't say anything about the platinum there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orphioon said:

Way harder than wipeout HD, nfs I'm not sure I didn't bother there because the car would often not turn and the inconsistencies in the controls and handling just put me off even trying, gt5 I'm also not sure but I let it go at the vettel challenges but can't say I put effort into it. (apparently you can glitch it now?) 

This and trackmania felt equally difficult and are probably my hardest trophies in racing games.

• Like 1