Flatout

Alexgaara

20 minutes ago, Patrickosan said:

Shouldn't this be easier with wheel instead controller? 

If you have a proper handbrake and experience with playing rally games with a wheel it is surely easier. I, for my part was never able to put down the same times with the wheel in this game as I do with the controller. Having many short corners and overall a lot steering and shifting activity makes rally games way more difficult to play/learn with a wheel than your standard sim racer á la Gran Turismo or Project Cars. That doesn't mean that Rally games are harder per se but it takes some getting used to the different driving style if you are used to racetrack racing with longer corners and a bigger emphasis on breakpoints and perfect cornering. A controller allows you to change directions in the blink of an eye what can be seen as a certain advantage. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Patrickosan said:

Shouldn't this be easier with wheel instead controller? 

I personally find it a lot easier. Before getting on playing 2.0 I've played around 40h on pc in 1.0. I've gained a little bit of experience that way, but not much. 

I did play in 2.0 with a controller a little bit (to complete some boring ass trophies, for example completing 3 week events) and I gotta say it's a lot harder then playing with a wheel, especially while driving rwd cars. It's basically impossible to counter steer a bigger slide, controller is just slower than human. 

I personally find it a lot easier and I have a lot more fun driving with a wheel and H pattern shifter. Even though I'm not using my handbrake because it only works on pc so my only option is to use a button.

Those couple times when I used a controller I was bored to death. So I highly recommend using a wheel if you have one (obviously i mean some better wheel, not some shit for 50$, logitech dfgt or g25 is a total minimum) you may struggle at the beginning but once you get a hang of it, it's so much fun. 

I use thrustmaster t300 + tlcm pedals + th8a shifter if anyone wants to know. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KoDaX12 said:

I personally find it a lot easier. Before getting on playing 2.0 I've played around 40h on pc in 1.0. I've gained a little bit of experience that way, but not much. 

I did play in 2.0 with a controller a little bit (to complete some boring ass trophies, for example completing 3 week events) and I gotta say it's a lot harder then playing with a wheel, especially while driving rwd cars. It's basically impossible to counter steer a bigger slide, controller is just slower than human. 

I personally find it a lot easier and I have a lot more fun driving with a wheel and H pattern shifter. Even though I'm not using my handbrake because it only works on pc so my only option is to use a button.

Those couple times when I used a controller I was bored to death. So I highly recommend using a wheel if you have one (obviously i mean some better wheel, not some shit for 50$, logitech dfgt or g25 is a total minimum) you may struggle at the beginning but once you get a hang of it, it's so much fun. 

I use thrustmaster t300 + tlcm pedals + th8a shifter if anyone wants to know. 

I'm using G29 with Wheel Stand Pro, never had problems with it and I made platinum in Dirt Rally 1, GT Sport, PCars 1 & 2 and etc. I'm having tons of fun in DR2 right now. Before that I had DFGT and made platinum in GT5 (Vettel challenges) and GT6. So yeah, I know my wheel pretty good, so I hope it won't be that frustrating. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Patrickosan said:

I'm using G29 with Wheel Stand Pro, never had problems with it and I made platinum in Dirt Rally 1, GT Sport, PCars 1 & 2 and etc. I'm having tons of fun in DR2 right now. Before that I had DFGT and made platinum in GT5 (Vettel challenges) and GT6. So yeah, I know my wheel pretty good, so I hope it won't be that frustrating. 

Looks like you are ready to go, good luck and have fun getting a plat in this one 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice to see some familiar names here. I'm just posting to say that I've started Flatout today after doing Pedal To The Metal (15hrs) last week as well as a hard Assetto Hotlap called Clear Ahead (28hrs) in that same week. So far that was currently the hardest thing I've ever completed in a racing game. I did both with a controller without traction, which was very difficult but also worth it. I will go back & do another hard Assetto Hotlap very soon but I've decided to focus on this game first instead. 

I'll be using a controller to try & do as much as I can without traction depending on how doable it is. After spending 28hrs & 15hrs on Clear Ahead & Pedal To The Metal respectively I'm up for the challenge of finally doing Flatout. Hopefully I can get through this. If there's any tips that might help which aren't very known then it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Got 100%. Can confirm on Sunday driver you can finish qualifications with auto gearbox and before finishing final round just switch it to manual.

...Flatout, must say that was a challenge but I loved it with some training and track knowledge it's doable. About 50h for rally loving average driver. Beginning is the hardest takes time to get used to it, it's about controlling your speed, some perfect cornering without sliding about will win you stages so don't be afraid release gas and press some brakes.  For me worst were Australia with Skoda, just hate that rubbish car it drives like box on wheels with no soul at all. Also Monte Carlo night stages got me sweating, most important don't crash you car on first stage so you can be faster on 2stage. Germany took some track mastering. For some reason New Zealand stages seamed to be easiest from them all even with Ford Sierra. Also never struggled with Greece.  Finland's trick is to release acceleration before jumps and turns so I managed to beat first stage by 25secs. I hope next series will have more scenarios like this one as it makes you understand what rally is really about. Driving on a edge and shaving seconds which makes you actually good driver. I recommend every one who loves rally go for that trophy. Just remember dirt is best rally simulation you can experience to date.

Pedal to the metal took me 20mins after I completed Flatout on first run 07:01 and second run beat it. Scotland is really beautiful location and becomes enjoyable once you figure out how to drive on it.

All completed with DS4.

Thanks everyone on this forum for tips and championships times(really helpful)

When in doubt, flat out.

• Like 4

Also some settings which will help you have more control and be faster

Options-Input-Connected devices-DS4 controler-Advanced settings

Steering sensitivity 100

Steering Linearity 0

Steering Dead zone 0

Steering Saturation 40

Throttle Deadzone 0

Throttle Saturation 60

Break Deadzone 0

Brake Saturation 65

Assists off appart from auto gearbox and exterior camera

Drives a lot different so you need to get used to it but it will help you be faster.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, I have just done New Zealand with that stupid trash car Ford Sierra, first track with the time 8:48.956 and second track with the 10:14.482. I have checked the times properly with the AI times on guide and I should be fine and have less than 1 minute to 1st place. But instead the 1st place AI have finished the 2nd track with the time of 9:24. I've never retired and quit, was just restarting and quitting in the middle of the event.

Was looking forward to get it, trying hard all the time but if the game is cheating then it's not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

@MajloHS93 Sorry to hear about that New Zealand event, I know it was made slightly easier after a patch, but it can probably glitch like the other events as well. I'll add the glitch time in the main post.

As for your other question from your other post, quitting to the main menu can lead to glitched times (it's a gamble though, it could work the proper way as well), your best bet is either doing them all back to back, if you have the time, or leave your console on rest mode.

I realise I'm like 2 weeks late, hope you haven't given up ;)

I almost done Pedal To The Metal today morning, but instead I lost control of the car right before the last turn of the stage and hit a tree. Finished the track with 7:05.285. Seems that using brakes is a must on that stage, but as less as possible (just to straight up the car after hard turns or jumps). First half of the track is even quite easy right now. The problems begins when I drive into the forest, that's the hardest part. I hope I will get it soon

1 hour ago, MajloHS93 said:

I almost done Pedal To The Metal today morning, but instead I lost control of the car right before the last turn of the stage and hit a tree. Finished the track with 7:05.285. Seems that using brakes is a must on that stage, but as less as possible (just to straight up the car after hard turns or jumps). First half of the track is even quite easy right now. The problems begins when I drive into the forest, that's the hardest part. I hope I will get it soon

Nice, you are getting close. I remember being a second off a few times before I got it. It's very important to use the brakes slightly at times on the long straights in order keep your car stable especially on that last part. The ridiculous speed needed on that is an intense experience that other racing games don't come close to but it looks like you'll get it anytime now so you are almost there. I'm sure doing this will help going into the other Flatout events you have coming up. There are a few events in Flatout that are similar to this one which is why this could be the hardest of racing games to do. I highly recommend only using videos for references or the times here that @Alexgaara has provided.

Edited by Destructor-8

Done Pedal To The Metal today morning with the time of 6:58.033 woohooooo!!!!! ? I changed just 3 first gears and it was much better driving for me then.

1st gear I set on minimum - 0,262

2nd gear - 0,372

3rd gear - 0,493

And the final gear on maxed out, the rest I left on default ?

All assists OFF, just set the stability control and anti-lock braking system on 1, transmission automatic ?

• Like 2

Will definitely be using this thread once I get to “Flat Out”, excellent post! Game is a blast so far, I’ve played the first Dirt Rally as well and spend countless hours enjoying it - even after earning the plat. 

One thing I really miss in 2.0 is Hillclimb though, I wish they didn’t leave that out ?

• Like 1

Tried to reach at least 3rd place now on Mount Kaye Pass in Australia, but that Skoda Fabia is complete rubbish, feels more like a drifting car which have really weak grip :| best time I get is 7:29.775 which is 2 seconds slower than the guy on 3rd place :( they all drive extremely fast in the last half of the race (forest with a lot of sharp turns) where I always lose few precious seconds :(