Should Marauders be nerfed?

Lord_Bane999

Topic. Getting close to finishing the campaign and have just noticed they are a bit ridiculous compared to other enemies.

I just mainly hate how they wreck the flow of the game to me. Their mechanics is perfect for solo fights like when first introduced. But fighting them with groups it's hard to be slow and methodical when at the same time when other enemies are setting a completely different pace.

Then the shield is honestly very broken. The fact the Marauder has a shield to repel anything and in inhuman time with auto block is stupid. Even the Unmakyr, BFG and Crucible Sword, all which use a form of Argent Energy as the shield he has still get blocked by it and rendered useless. I tried getting a one shot with the sword. Even on the perfect timing as soon as I swung, insta block.

• Like 4

Personally, I really like Marauders. I hate Archvile much more cause it's just impossible to fight if he exist in battle, I spent my Crucible charge only to oneshot him.

And, I wish CyberMancubus not take 50% of my HP when I dash to him and press R3 to take his armor (it's the only way game offer for me but it's so painful anytime. I don't like to spend cryogrenades on him when I should keep it for other enemies also...)

And yes, Marauders makes every battle harder because you have 2 paces at once, great solo battle though. 

On PC I believe I wouldn't have any problems to keep 2 different paces from enemies. But on PS4 it was much harder.

Still, I have great feelings with that difficulty (directly opposed to cheap difficulty games like Uncharted Crushing difficulty or of course Brutal. I just took over myself and ended Uncharted 2 on Brutal... Though in Last of Us Grounded and Realism were awesome difficulties).

Maybe some little tweaks should be implemented but can't say for sure...

Edited by AloneBert-
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, AloneBert- said:

Personally, I really like Marauders. I hate Archvile much more cause it's just impossible to fight if he exist in battle, I spent my Crucible charge only to oneshot him.

And, I wish CyberMancubus not take 50% of my HP when I dash to him and press R3 to take his armor (it's the only way game offer for me but it's so painful anytime. I don't like to spend cryogrenades on him when I should keep it for other enemies also...)

And yes, Marauders makes every battle harder because you have 2 paces at once, great solo battle though. 

On PC I believe I wouldn't have any problems to keep 2 different paces from enemies. But on PS4 it was much harder.

Still, I have great feelings with that difficulty (directly opposed to cheap difficulty games like Uncharted Crushing difficulty or of course Brutal. I just took over myself and ended Uncharted 2 on Brutal... Though in Last of Us Grounded and Realism were awesome difficulties).

Maybe some little tweaks should be implemented but can't say for sure...

Oh yeah like I like how he's punishing and is unrelenting attacks fits in well. But like I said I mainly hate his pacing. Most enemies you can deal with being too close or far away especially once you unlock the flame belch perk so it recharges more often. But his kit makes you stay a certain distance away or have to watch for a cure that barely lasts any time. Even when I jump and do the slow mo zoom in air he still blocks even when he had his shield down.

PC I believe it's less of an issue though as I feel part of what makes him hard on console is you can't precisely aim for him quick enough when he dashed around behind you then lunge.

i like marauder but i can see why others find him annoying. what i did was clear the room of every other enemy and left him for last before i fought him. Dont have to nerf him though but removing him all together and i doubt anyone would miss him. as for archvile, hes always been cool and a threat. he is without a doubt one of the most threatening enemies in the original doom games and should stay that way imo.

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 3

hes easy if you do it right, stay far away from him, his axe throws can be dodged and eventually he will close in with his green eye move, super shotgun, quick swap to balista while stunned, repeat until dead, where people go wrong with him is trying to stay mid-range the entire fight, let him come to u, if there's more demons around, dash away from him until he's the only one left

Edited by Grample_Gust
  • Like 1

Nope i don't think he should be nerfed. Honestly I died numerous times on the first solo battle but after you know how to deal with him, I was actually anticipating seeing him more often as he added more to the chaotic nature of the game. If anything should be nerfed or removed from the game entirely its the last 2 bosses which imo is just cheap difficulty through high health counts and plain boring to fight.

• Like 1

I know it's only a matter of time before some dickhead comes in here calling everyone who struggled with them a scrub and that they need to git gud to play the game properly or something. ?

Ultimately, the Marauders are tough, and maybe just a little janky with where you need to stand, but no I don't think they need to be nerfed. Once you get the hang of doing more damage overall to them you can even cheese your way through killing them in one or two shield raises. They just require all your attention, which makes things more difficult. Fortunately, it's not too difficult to dodge their long range beams. Dog's a bit of a hassle though.

Basically no I don't think they need a nerf. It's okay to think they're tough though. They're supposed to be hard!

On 3/29/2020 at 5:58 AM, Lord_Bane999 said:

Topic. Getting close to finishing the campaign and have just noticed they are a bit ridiculous compared to other enemies.

I just mainly hate how they wreck the flow of the game to me. Their mechanics is perfect for solo fights like when first introduced. But fighting them with groups it's hard to be slow and methodical when at the same time when other enemies are setting a completely different pace.

Then the shield is honestly very broken. The fact the Marauder has a shield to repel anything and in inhuman time with auto block is stupid. Even the Unmakyr, BFG and Crucible Sword, all which use a form of Argent Energy as the shield he has still get blocked by it and rendered useless. I tried getting a one shot with the sword. Even on the perfect timing as soon as I swung, insta block.

Yes, 100% Marauders need to be nerfed. When you have all these demons attacking you, yet you have to stay "mid-range" and stand around to get a shot at Marauder, or else he'll shotgun you or send his wolf...it's just not fun. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juzota said:

Yes. Just remove every enemy from the game and make this walking simulator in hell.

We already have Agony for that ?

6 hours ago, SpaceCoresDad said:

I know it's only a matter of time before some dickhead comes in here calling everyone who struggled with them a scrub and that they need to git gud to play the game properly or something. 1f644.png

Ultimately, the Marauders are tough, and maybe just a little janky with where you need to stand, but no I don't think they need to be nerfed. Once you get the hang of doing more damage overall to them you can even cheese your way through killing them in one or two shield raises. They just require all your attention, which makes things more difficult. Fortunately, it's not too difficult to dodge their long range beams. Dog's a bit of a hassle though.

Basically no I don't think they need a nerf. It's okay to think they're tough though. They're supposed to be hard!

I agree there the spacing can be hard to place. Overall I found them at their worse when the Game AI wasn't doing what it should properly. Case in point I had two troublesome ones where it was bringing it's shield almost up right away and cancelling out shots that should've hit. Then today I had Marauder I was fighting that was actually the opposite it had it's shield out then for whatever reason the shield disappeared and even when I shot it outside of it's cue it didn't block the shot making great whole fight extremely easy.

I think a missed opportunity still lies in the fact you can't melee fight them with the sword. I mean hell the trailer teases running into it with your chainsaw to fight it even. It seems pointless having two weapons both made of argent energy not do jack all to each other.

I usually run away and give some space, clear out the other non fodder enemies and then use the ballista (Arbalest) to hit him. You can usually hit him twice if you just shoot and don't hold down L2 and it will take 5-10 hits depending on difficulty. This worked for me on all difficulties, but everyone is different.

• Like 1

I  know what you mean, I've just beat the first Marauder boss fight, but at first I couldn't get him at all. Mainly because of his stupid wolf or I was so concentrated on him that I didn't notice a zombie or a Imp shooting at me from behind. Since I was playing on nightmare difficulty, his Argent Axe takes 90 armor points in one swing, so he can kill me in less than three strikes.

Fortunately I found a good trick to kill him quickly, it takes about 10 super shotgun shots to stunt him for a gory kill, but you have time to shoot him twice during his vulnerable phase (the green eye bit). He also rarely does the same attack twice in a row, so make sure that you're in the mid-range area of him like the tutorial says. And of course, keep moving, kill all other demons, and use your spring ability a lot, it's your saving grace! This video helped me out of course.

I understand why id Software added him, try to spice thing up a bit with the enemy variations, but ultimately it didn't work out. Thou that said, like the DOOM Hunters, I am not looking forward to encountering more of theses in the campaign.

Edited by Pershing24