Is this the worst Borderlands game?

arcanehornet_

Wow.  So many different opinions on this game.  The only two Borderlands game I played to completion (in this case I am specifically referring to the main campaign and some DLC here and there) are Borderlands 2 (first on PC, subsequently on PS4 when it was a PS Plus game in 2019, I think) and Borderlands 3.  Personally, I happen to think as an overall experience, Borderlands 2 is the better game. 

I did really enjoy Borderlands 3, but as others have stated previously, the villains are not very compelling to say the least.  Also, I think a lot of the humor in the game was three years out of date.  By the time the games were released, the jokes were already full of mold.

• Like 2

From reading, i see most purple think BL1 is the worst, which is good because it shows that each game since had been an improvement. I haven't finished the game yet, but my son and I are having a blast so far, I am Moze, he is Fl4k. I liked the addition of a fourth skill tree just for a bit more variety, I think it was unneeded however. I do enjoy the Parkour and the sliding additions, it reminded me of Brink on the PS3. I think it takes far too long before you can use Relics however! ?  I have yet to play TPS the PS4, I have played some of it on the switch, I was enjoying bouncing in the low gravity. Lol

23 hours ago, JaneAusten69 said:

Personally, I would rank the series in this order:

• BL2
  • BL3
  • TFTBL
  • BLPS
  • BL1 (haven't actually played this one, but it seems like the series hit it's stride with 2)

BL1 is a lot more open and there are tedious quests, like collect x amount of gun parts. I played it on the PS3 and enjoyed it, the DLC is quite fun too. BL2 made some big changes and lots more humour. ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ArkonRhys said:

From reading, i see most purple think BL1 is the worst, which is good because it shows that each game since had been an improvement. I haven't finished the game yet, but my son and I are having a blast so far, I am Moze, he is Fl4k. I liked the addition of a fourth skill tree just for a bit more variety, I think it was unneeded however. I do enjoy the Parkour and the sliding additions, it reminded me of Brink on the PS3. I think it takes far too long before you can use Relics however! 1f601.png  I have yet to play TPS the PS4, I have played some of it on the switch, I was enjoying bouncing in the low gravity. Lol

BL1 is a lot more open and there are tedious quests, like collect x amount of gun parts. I played it on the PS3 and enjoyed it, the DLC is quite fun too. BL2 made some big changes and lots more humour. 1f601.png

Yeah that's definitely the vibe I got from my friends when I first got BL2.  Maybe someday I'll get to playing the first one, but with the PS5 in my future and plenty of other PS4 games on the back burner, I'd be okay with skipping it.

Borderlands 3 was such a let down that I'm planning on never buying another Borderlands game again and probably not another Gearbox game again. This after playing Borderlands game since they came out with Xbox 360/PS3 time. Bought 1, 2, and pre-sequel on Xbox 360, Handsome Jack collection on both Xbox One and PS4, and bought the remastered version of Borderlands 1 on PS4. 100% them each time with the exception of presequel on 360 since I got it little before moving to XBox One and PS4.

The story was terrible. They made my favorite characters cameos essentially (brick and morticai). And I know Tina was voiced by the same person but she sounded so off it wasn't even funny. The list goes on an on.

On 18-1-2021 at 10:03 PM, darkrequiem7 said:

Just finished the plat in Borderlands 3 yesterday. I think the gameplay was very good, but the story was not. 

The villain twins and Ava were both the opposite of fun. The fate of our two female heroes bummed me out. 

I did still enjoy Tannis and Claptrap, and the random comments of the vending machines and Sanctuary residents still made me chuckle.

I hope the DLC redeems it a bit when I buy it on sale someday, but I'm not overly enthusiastic about it.

Personally I did find the DLC's better then the main game. Altough the 2nd and the 4th DLC where my personal favorites.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IGUnique said:

Personally I did find the DLC's better then the main game. Altough the 2nd and the 4th DLC where my personal favorites.

I agree with liking the DLC story better than the main game.  Also, agree with 2nd and 4th being the better stories.  I though they were all fun to play. The season 2 DLC sucks so far though.

13 minutes ago, JaneAusten69 said:

I agree with liking the DLC story better than the main game.  Also, agree with 2nd and 4th being the better stories.  I though they were all fun to play. The season 2 DLC sucks so far though.

Yeah I also kinda refuse to pay €25 for it. They basicly won't add anything.

It's absolutely the best Borderlands game. Story wasn't great but whatever, the rest of the game is so fun I didn't even care. Sluggish gameplay? It's literally better than 2 in every way with all the extra movement options and something as simple as mantling that makes the game far less annoying to play. 

On 27/01/2021 at 4:09 PM, Sn1per666999 said:

Just like Final Fantasy 13 I didn't like it at launch but after returning over a year later I enjoyed it much more after my expectations were more realistic.

I think that's a really good point and one that I may take up myself.

I wasn't as fond of ff13 at first but something kept pulling me back. I eventually liked it enough to plat it (six months after rage quitting after spending 12 hours one day doing the side missions and not saving the game!).

Similarly, for BL3, I want to like it. Hopefully next time I try it I'll like it a bit more.

Edited by GarryKE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 1:02 PM, melodicmizery said:

pre sequal was awful, your forced to use claptrap unless you want to deal with dying in space continuously

What are you talking about? Whilhelm was my main in TPS and never had a problem dying with him (outside of typical gun play moments of course). If you're referring to the Oz system...it was brilliantly implemented and the farthest thing from a burden. You had plenty of air and enemies constantly dropped O2, or there were plenty of air pockets littered throughout the maps. Oxygen was literally never a problem. 

I used Claptrap the least out of everyone as I only played with him long enough to get his character trophy for using all of his skills and that was it. You most certainly weren't forced to use Claptrap at all. 

Edited by Viper

If the third borderlands just let quest dialog happen as we were moving around and doing things, it be a fine game. But when you're doing quests the slog between gunplay (which is the best its ever been in the series) is insanely boring. There's a lot of talking, following, waiting, and it is often for no reason. A character says they do something wrong then have to do something again, etc.

I wanted to really enjoy this game but it is best when you finish the quests and can just fight. I think it is still better than Pre Sequel, but I think TPS was a bad game after my two playthroughs of it.

16 hours ago, Viper said:

What are you talking about? Whilhelm was my main in TPS and never had a problem dying with him (outside of typical gun play moments of course). If you're referring to the Oz system...it was brilliantly implemented and the farthest thing from a burden. You had plenty of air and enemies constantly dropped O2, or there were plenty of air pockets littered throughout the maps. Oxygen was literally never a problem. 

I used Claptrap the least out of everyone as I only played with him long enough to get his character trophy for using all of his skills and that was it. You most certainly weren't forced to use Claptrap at all. 

did you have fun collecting oxygen? i doubt it. so it was a useless system that shouldnt of been added.  

I've not played Borderlands 3, but Borderlands 1, the 4 DLC in that game honestly made me start to hate it.

The Dr Ned one is passable but some missions were annoying, the Moxxi arena is sooooo long. And it's almost impossible to do legit without using the P2 difficulty reduction method. Even then it's way over 90 mins times 3 just to do the tougher arenas while playing on split screen mode and not full screen. Very boring and even then you have to play at full skill since you cannot save whatsoever during the fight. Pray you don't die by mistake or have an electricity power cut.

General Knoxx DLC is a huge difficult spike in my opinion, and navigation wise tough to get around, it also increases the level cap and has a hidden boss which in many ways may take you 10-20 hours to complete unless you boost with someone, of course Borderlands 1 is very glitchy so playing with people online can be dangerous, my save got corrupted once after playing with randoms and I didn't realise till much later when certain missions failed to spawn...so I had to reload a much earlier save and do a whole lot of stuff again. It also seems like everytime you go back to the General Knoxx DLC it starts you right back at the very beginning and you have to waste about 10 minutes driving too and watching loading screens to get back where you were.

Then Claptrap's DLC has you going on a very tedious lootdrop grind trying to pick up pizzas and pants which will waste maybe 5-10 hours of your life for no reason.

Try going for 100% on Borderlands 1 if you haven't already, I guarantee you'll love Borderlands 3 by the time you are finished.

Edited by enaysoft

8 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

did you have fun collecting oxygen? i doubt it. so it was a useless system that shouldnt of been added.  

It never felt like a collectible to me...ever. It was just a simple gameplay mechanic I got used to utilizing like any other game. Again it was plentiful enough that it was the farthest thing from a burden. 

My thoughts on B3 main campaign sucked and the twins were a bad cringy choice as antagonists. Always a hard act to follow from handsome jack though, but could of done better here than what they served up.

DLC stories are much more challenging and better  which make up for lack lustre watered down main campaign.

Game and gun play however are vastly improved with complete re Dev in unreal engine. Considering it's a looter shooter this is more important than story. I did find it overall too easy though, but arena battles and mailwan take down make up for that.

I do feel they missed the boat with transitioning the season pass to follow what destiny 2 do with seasons and encouraging more community coop pve play. With timed seasonal events and FOMO content.  They just stuck to same boring formula, off just churning out essentially single player story DLC. Can play coop if you want, but not really required if your OP enough with right build. 

Seasonal timed content always brings me back to play the game and knock off DLC. They had the captain haunt Halloween event at start which was great, but since then only broken heart valentine and not much else after that for long stints. 

I also heard last Halloween they just re used the same captain haunt event without changing anything.. at least offer different skins and cosmetics than previous event. Makes it fair for early players who went through the grind of the earlier event and creates diversity, lineage in player base.

Don't get why live service games just don't  follow what destiny 2 and bungie do, it's a proven formula and from years of tweaking to keep players interested.

Edited by SlipingJimmy