Control! Does it get better?

SuchRemorse

I have heard great things about this game! I finally decided to give it a shot! I just finished level one and I'm seriously disappointed. I mean I know it's early in the game but so far nothing is fun at all! 

All the collectables I found to this point (files etc) provide nothing interesting. After my first 5 I just stopped reading them because they don't provide any useful information!

And now I just met a few characters. I really don't even care what they are talking about! Just running around aimlessly. If this is it I'm going to be really disappointed! Running back and fourth in some government building with occasional corny (so far) 3rd person gun play.

And what's with all the floating bodies all in the air!? I seriously though the game was glitched when I saw that. Anyway to whoever is enjoying this game. More power to you! 

Edited by SuchRemorse
Spelling error
  • Like 2

All I know is after the platinum is that it's a great game. I'm working on Star Wars jedi right now. The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games. All 3 games have in common is that when I first played them I just didn't like it. But if you play more of it you will definitely like it. Without spoilers you do unlock several telekinesis powers that makes the game super addicting. Also new weapons as well.  I even bought the season pass. The lore is amazing and so are the collectibles. I especially love the Mirror recording collectibles. It was so clever.

• Like 1

I'm at mission 6 right now and I'm also disappointed. I don't hate the game... But yeah, I stopped hearing what the characters had to say after the second mission. Never read a collectible from the moment I saw I'll be needing 120 for a trophy, so the information is probably worthless. My big issue with the game is its performance and the map. Never have I seen a more confusing map than this one. 

5 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Based on your comments - It sounds like the fundamental aspects of the game that they intended to be a source of enjoyment are having the opposite effect on you e.g - Combat, lore, characters, story threads etc. Might be better off cutting your losses and moving on. That's not a criticism by the way, Control definitely isn't for everybody and i respect that. I had a few gripes with the map, the difficulty curve of the game and the occasional performance issue, but overall it was one of my gaming highlights of 2019.

I think the devs designed it to be weird in pretty much everything, from the floating bodies, to the constantly shifting building you are in, to the weird lore you can glean from the logs. They seem to be trying to go for a weird Fringe / X-Files / Twin Peaks / Twilight Zone tone. Right up my alley really, but I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea :)

Funny you mention that. Because I actually love the twilight zone and stuff like that. This is just not holding my interest AT ALLL though! I appreciate your input though. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Nope it doesn't get better and quite frankly gets worse if you ask me. I started off really liking the game for its gameplay but the story beats and terrible map design just made me think it was good not great. Definitely forgettable in the long run. Some cool areas in the late game though but if you don't like it at all there's no way you will start to suddenly appreciate it 

• Like 1

Besides some really weird facil expressions and voice acting, I found it quite enjoyable. Fun gameplay loop, and the new DLC really makes you interact more with the environment. The lore is quite interesting, I love some weird fictional second dimension shit. Main game map is terrible, yes. Navigation can be a pain, but I didn't mind that much because I was pretty interested in the lore.

Great game, it's pretty stylish. Can't wait to play some missions again on PS5.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 4:15 AM, Crispy_Oglop said:

Based on your comments - It sounds like the fundamental aspects of the game that they intended to be a source of enjoyment are having the opposite effect on you e.g - Combat, lore, characters, story threads etc. Might be better off cutting your losses and moving on. That's not a criticism by the way, Control definitely isn't for everybody and i respect that. I had a few gripes with the map, the difficulty curve of the game and the occasional performance issue, but overall it was one of my gaming highlights of 2019.

I think the devs designed it to be weird in pretty much everything, from the floating bodies, to the constantly shifting building you are in, to the weird lore you can glean from the logs. They seem to be trying to go for a weird Fringe / X-Files / Twin Peaks / Twilight Zone tone. Right up my alley really, but I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea :)

Funny you mention that. Because I actually love the twilight zone and stuff like that. This is just not holding my interest AT ALLL though! I appreciate your input though. Thanks! 

OK yeah.... Soooooo. I decided to give this game more of a chance. I just finished mission 2. And NOW it is definitely safe to say that I think this game is terrible. The lighting in some areas is horrible! Just pure blackness! The map doesn't make any sense! The "lore" is some of the most uninteresting and boring things I have ever read in a game! (I hate government stuff) the combat is sooooo bland that I actually found myself just running past enemies at this stage of the game. You don't even need to kill them. So what's the point? It's not the fun factor! They never drop anything and they aren't required to be killed to progress. (except for the boss fights or when you need to "cleanse" something) and the cut scenes!? Oh boy!!! NOOOOOO clue even what's happening! How this pile of steam won game of the year is beyond me! Someone must have been paid off.. Cause I just don't get it. I know some may not agree with me but I would have to put this game in the soooo bad it's goood category! Except it's just so bad that it's bad. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 4:39 AM, SuchRemorse said:

OK yeah.... Soooooo. I decided to give this game more of a chance. I just finished mission 2. And NOW it is definitely safe to say that I think this game is terrible. The lighting in some areas is horrible! Just pure blackness! The map doesn't make any sense! The "lore" is some of the most uninteresting and boring things I have ever read in a game! (I hate government stuff) the combat is sooooo bland that I actually found myself just running past enemies at this stage of the game. You don't even need to kill them. So what's the point? It's not the fun factor! They never drop anything and they aren't required to be killed to progress. (except for the boss fights or when you need to "cleanse" something) and the cut scenes!? Oh boy!!! NOOOOOO clue even what's happening! How this pile of steam won game of the year is beyond me! Someone must have been paid off.. Cause I just don't get it. I know some may not agree with me but I would have to put this game in the soooo bad it's goood category! Except it's just so bad that it's bad. 

it didnt win GOTY. Sekiro did.

I'm at level 4 or 5 (whichever the jail is) and the game is really meh. So far it screams of wasted potential. Like the combat is pretty good, but the game throws so many enemies at you and they do so much damage that I was forced to max out health as soon as I could. However, I still have to use health mods because you get hit twice and you are down to 10% health. Also it feels like you don't do enough damage for how many enemies are around.

Most of the environments are way too dark and make it hard to see things at times. When you combine that with the stream of enemies it really makes the game start to feel unnecessarily difficult at times.

It's really disappointing, because i'd heard great things about the game.       

• Like 1

After getting the plat I think the game does get better as you gain powers then it starts to feel like Infamous but with a gun. You should be using the map to point yourself in the right direction then just rely on signs on the walls until you memorize the layout. At least look up ashtray maze before quitting this game since that's the best part, everything else you didn't really miss out on.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2020 at 1:05 AM, Wavergray said:

I'm at level 4 or 5 (whichever the jail is) and the game is really meh. So far it screams of wasted potential. Like the combat is pretty good, but the game throws so many enemies at you and they do so much damage that I was forced to max out health as soon as I could. However, I still have to use health mods because you get hit twice and you are down to 10% health. Also it feels like you don't do enough damage for how many enemies are around.

Most of the environments are way too dark and make it hard to see things at times. When you combine that with the stream of enemies it really makes the game start to feel unnecessarily difficult at times.

It's really disappointing, because i'd heard great things about the game.       

I agree 100% with you, not worth the frustration at the end.  Classic example of a game that starts out good than get cheap with all the enemies and near impossible battles when you have dozens of enemies coming at you and takes about 3 hits for you to die.

Can't really say that sudden difficulty spikes ever was an issue for me. As long as you keep moving and prioritize your targets, I found the game to be rather easy.
My only frustration came from the confusing layout of the map and how poorly lit some areas were. But eventually you learn your way around anyway, so it wasn't that much of a deal in the end.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It does get better as long as you stop standing in one place trying to absorb a million bullets, it's not that kind of game. The game explicitly tells you "keep moving and use cover to avoid getting shot", and it turns out that's exactly what works. Don't just stand in a doorway and get hit by a grenade, and then wonder why that killed you :P And yeah, getting powers makes a massive difference. If you don't find it fun to psychically rip a fire extinguisher off the wall and throw it at an enemy while Matrix-dodging around the room, this game is definitely not for you.

The map isn't great, I'll admit that, I find myself using the hallways signs more often. But it's not a large map, it's not like you lose a lot of time if you accidentally go down the wrong hallway.

The storytelling/lore is... I dunno, it's not everyone's taste. Twin Peaks, X-Files, The Lost Room, Death Stranding, all have that kind of intentionally-vague world building where they show you everything but tell you nothing. Compared to most video games telling you everything ("go here and do the thing! it's important because I say it is!") and showing you nothing, I think it's great. There's a reason it won BAFTAs and not "conventional" game awards.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I found the lore and collectibles really interesting to read personally. It doesn’t matter to me whether it’s connected to the plot or anything, but I love weird fiction in general. I’d recommend any fan of Remedy’s past game ALAN WAKE to read through all of ‘em. Since it all explains a lot of previously unanswered questions, in fact CONTROL’s universe was a very eloquent way of explaining ALAN WAKE without having the narrative take a dump over explaining .

Plus there’s no denying how impressive the graphic technology is with the procedurally destructible environments! And oh man, the blue sparks from broken electrical equipment are just so god damned beautiful!

Edited by FEARTRAIN

I’d also like To point out for those of you who found the game boring. That most people’s approach and optimal strategy to combat in this game are usually different. Sometimes radically different depending on the mods they found or equipped. Like there doesn’t seem to be an A, B and C routine to combat everyone follows. When I started to feel the combat becoming repetitive, I switched everything up, mods/powers/gun loadout according to a couple posts I had read before and was really surprised by the results. Like SEIZE and SHIELD weren’t as useless as I had first thought.

Also I never see anyone mention this, but grabbing your own rockets from CHARGE gun and throwing them results in twice the amount of damage, plus you can snipe with em too as it will always auto aim ! (Even without a target on the enemy!) really useful, but only downside is it depletes both your gun charge and energy equally leaving you defenseless if overdone.

My only complaint with the combat is: Falling damage in general and falling off the edge = DEATH. The field of view is too narrow and your not given a good enough view on what is directly below or behind Jessie. All made even worse with the abstract/obtuse environments and completely frustrating with a game over penalty and 10% source loss. Definite misstep.

Edited by FEARTRAIN