Control! Does it get better?

SuchRemorse

I think the game got better as it progressed. I had finished the first few missions and found it to be quite boring. The setting seemed kinda cool and the gameplay was okay, but it didn’t feel like a GOTY title to me at all. It just felt... okay. Like a title you rent for a few hours and return it and never think about it again.

To clarify: the characters don’t really get much better. Many of these people are just names and faces and there’s almost no character development. Aside from some of Jesse’s scathingly sarcastic comments, I didn’t really find her appealing either. The best aspects of this game are it’s setting and the gameplay. These two things do improve over the course of the game. You unlock new abilities (like levitating, making shields and throwing debris around) as you complete missions. Once you start to get in the groove of using your powers in combat, the gameplay feels a lot more fluid and fun. In the beginning, you have almost no powers, which makes combat encounters feel lame in comparison to the endgame. I also found the setting and overall bizarreness of the game ramped up and got better once you get deeper in the game. You’ll find some cool places (like the Ashtray Maze and different Objects of Power) that will introduce you to some impressive set pieces that I’ll remember for a long time. I specifically remember hunting a lawn flamingo in a warped hallway with tons of mannequins standing around (like I said, bizarre).

It still wasn’t a GOTY title in my opinion, but the final half of the game was better than the first half imo

On 5/10/2020 at 8:04 AM, ARIXANDRE said:

One of the best games I've played in a long time, even with the performance issues on base PS4. My GOTY 2019 by a landslide.

Wow really? You like it better than Borderlands 3, Outer Worlds, Jedi Fallen Order, Mortal Kombat 11, Days Gone, Resident Evil 2, Sekiro plus a few others I can't think of at the moment. Now those are all AWESOME games. I know people have different tastes but I just don't get it. I'm not knocking you or your opinion, but this game to me is like a good graphics indie game at best. Definitely not GOTY. What is it that you liked so much about the game. Maybe I'm missing something. I mean there are plenty of games I like that I'm sure other people don't. But this one to me is a total head scratchier. lol

To the OP, not to be rude, but it sounds like you went into this game completely blind and did not know what you were about to play. The surreal aspect of the story, it's setting, and even the depictions of the floating bodies were all featured in early trailers of the game way prior to release. I am in the category of people who loved this game, it's my #2 for the year, Death Stranding was my GOTY. In that regard, you can see I am the type of player who is more involved for the story and lore behind a game, more so than multiplayer, etc.

As far as the games you mentioned in comparison, For the most part, it can be like comparing apples to oranges. However, I'll bite, I played Fallen Order, in my opinion it had great gameplay, but a very standard story with nothing really unique about it. Days Gone was just okay. It was way longer than it needed to be, and I felt like the characters were written bland as hell. Resident Evil 2 Remake was great for what it was, but obviously being a remake, it didn't offer anything really new, and it's a pretty short experience. What I think Control brings to the table compared to those others is something new and unique.

I'm more of a film buff than I will ever be when it comes to video games, and I am a big fan of dream-like surreal cinema with the likes of David Lynch, Luis Bunuel, etc. This game felt like something straight out of a David Lynch film, with goofy characters out of the Twin Peaks series. I loved the lore to the game, and I tell you, I am not one to read or examine collectibles in video games too closely, but I am glad I did here. Everyone's comparison to X-Files fits there, as the collectibles often times were case reports detailing crazy occurrences that happened around the country, and how the Bureau was able to identify, contain, and cover up whatever was causing it.

So I guess chalk it up to different tastes, but other than the terrible frame rate drops, Control is not a bad game by any means. Gameplay was similar to Infamous Second Son too, so another cool comparison from this thread.

This was my original short review after playing it:

" Control is a game that is begging to be turned into a movie, particularly one directed by David Lynch. It is so wonderfully surreal and executed nicely down to the tiniest detail. In fact, one thing I don’t usually put a lot of stock into with games, is to really examine each collectible that I come across (especially in a game where there is well over 200 of them), because usually they don’t carry much weight in terms of plot, but here it is different. The collectibles here really bring to life the vibrant eccentricity that is the world inside the Federal Bureau of Control. The story and atmosphere are ace! And you cannot tell me that the janitor Ahti is not the perfect harmonious combo of something inspired by David Lynch and Aki Kaurismäki, and I swear he looks like Tom Waits, which fits even more so! "

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KiraBobbySan said:

To the OP, not to be rude, but it sounds like you went into this game completely blind and did not know what you were about to play

That's how I go into most games! Why spoil the game by reading so much about it or watching videos? 

Each one of those games you listed are all different genres though, an are only subjective comparisons. Basically I’ll say what others were saying to you in a different way.  You went in with false expectations, and a bit of hype. The classic setup for disappointment, which is fine, it happens. But you should learn when it’s the games fault, your own, or even a matter of subjectivity (whether it clicks with ya). 

So while CONTROL is not perfect, it’s undeniably impressive on a technical and design level. It’s also completely original. And hard to find another game like it to even compare. Especially to one that would make it seem “the average 3rd person shooter” LOL. Your opinion’s very biased toward it, to only see the cons of the game.

I got a month sub to PS Now to keep me occupied in lockdown so I decided to give this a try. I didn’t really know anything about it before going in but I’m really enjoying it so far. It’s weird and a little creepy but it’s a nice change for me. I’m only on mission 3 so far so I’m not that far in but it’s been fun

I haven’t really read any of the collectibles or anything though since you find one about every two seconds ? 

When this game first came out, I was interested based on the trailers and discussion around it. But I rarely buy games new and just picked it up on sale last week. I am surprised to see so many naysayers. 

Honestly, I love it. I understand it is not everyone's cup of tea but I love the campy story and surreal atmosphere. I grew up loving the X-files and similar shows. I enjoy each collectible and will take the time to read them as I pick them up, it really fleshes out the scope of the FBC for me. All the in game videos, hotlines, lighting and even the way the title of a new area pops up is awesome for me. 

For gameplay, I enjoy the mix of powers/gunplay and think they work pretty well together. The map can be a bit confusing but I thought it was better than Fallen Order, at least you can fast travel around the map (on a side note, 100% the maps was the only major issue I had with FA). 

For myself, I am a huge fan. I would wholly support more games in this genre/style. 

With that being said, I respect everyone's right not to like the game.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:13 AM, SuchRemorse said:

Wow really? You like it better than Borderlands 3, Outer Worlds, Jedi Fallen Order, Mortal Kombat 11, Days Gone, Resident Evil 2, Sekiro plus a few others I can't think of at the moment. Now those are all AWESOME games. I know people have different tastes but I just don't get it. I'm not knocking you or your opinion, but this game to me is like a good graphics indie game at best. Definitely not GOTY. What is it that you liked so much about the game. Maybe I'm missing something. I mean there are plenty of games I like that I'm sure other people don't. But this one to me is a total head scratchier. lol

I really did and I played most of the games you mentioned. Amazing atmosphere, fast combat that rewards being aggressive, beautiful graphics and art direction.. 

I could go on and on. Game Informer gave it its GOTY prize and Giant Bomb, it was second best of the year. 

I only played this because it was on psnow and heard good things, knew nothing about it and the story hooked me instantly. The first time I got to Ahti I thought to myself "hang on, this room has done a loop? That's weird!" then I picked up a letter about a duck with magic powers and I was hooked. I think I read everything there was in the game, and honestly it might be one of the best games I've ever played when it comes to atmosphere and exploration. I don't even know how to describe the game, It's just one of those weird games that exists and it's beautifully done. The level design and destructibility are really cool, I loved ripping chunks off the walls and throwing it back at the enemies.

I don't even enjoy reading stuff in games, but I found almost everything very interesting. 

On 5/12/2020 at 1:13 AM, SuchRemorse said:

According to your profile, you haven't even played a couple of the games you listed and you have a tendency to not finish anything you started. So how would you know whether the "awesome" games you listed are so much better or worse than any other game?

Hey, I kinda felt the same way you did.

The game is a bit frustrating (espicially the optional bosses!) but there are moments of fun, espicially when you upgrade your Throw ability and you are facing off against big waves of enemies.

If you can keep going on, you'll eventually get to the Ashtray maze section. Personally one of the best moments I've had in gaming this year, that moment still sticks with me. The music alone makes it worth it in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, TheRealClayman said:

According to your profile, you haven't even played a couple of the games you listed and you have a tendency to not finish anything you started. So how would you know whether the "awesome" games you listed are so much better or worse than any other game?

As of right now I have 179 Platinum trophies and over 250 "completed" games. Which is actually more games that some people ever own! Let alone finish. So your comment of me "to not finish ANYTHING you started" is irrelevant. And I have another Account that I play on. So you are wrong again saying that I have not played games I mention. Just cause they aren't showing on this account doesn't mean I haven't or do not play them.

On 5/26/2020 at 0:55 AM, SuchRemorse said:

As of right now I have 179 Platinum trophies and over 250 "completed" games. Which is actually more games that some people ever own! Let alone finish. So your comment of me "to not finish ANYTHING you started" is irrelevant. And I have another Account that I play on. So you are wrong again saying that I have not played games I mention. Just cause they aren't showing on this account doesn't mean I haven't or do not play them.

That's fantastic. I have 567 Plats and over 700 completed games but I would still never comment on games I haven't played to at least a significant point to where I knew what the game had going for it.

I'm not saying whether you're right or wrong in any of those cases, just it takes away from the argument.

9 hours ago, TheRealClayman said:

That's fantastic. I have 567 Plats and over 700 completed games but I would still never comment on games I haven't played to at least a significant point to where I knew what the game had going for it.

I'm not saying whether you're right or wrong in any of those cases, just it takes away from the argument.

Congratulations... You didn't read!

On 5/26/2020 at 0:55 AM, SuchRemorse said:

And I have another Account that I play on.

I guess you missed this part?

It didn’t for me. By the time the credits finished rolling, I was lost as to what the heck just happened in the story. It does a terrible job explaining things to you. I assume this is because they expect you to read those codex entries (the collectables, or whatever they’re called) to fully understand it but honestly, most people don’t have the patience for that. The gameplay’s solid but man those frame rate drops are atrocious. The game has heart, I can see that, but it’s seriously overrated IMO. 

Edited by SuperSaiyan3985
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

It does a terrible job explaining things to you. I assume this is because they expect you to read those codex entries (the collectables, or whatever they’re called) to fully understand it but honestly, most people don’t have the patience for that.

I totally agree with you. The first few I picked up I read cause I thought it was going to tell me stuff about the game. Most of it just seemed like nonsense that I didn't even care about. It got to the point that I didn't ever care about picking them up other than just for the trophy. I was not interested in reading any of them AT ALLLL....

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 1:48 AM, SuchRemorse said:

Congratulations... You didn't read!

I guess you missed this part?

I did read. Congrats on having multiple accounts because why not play the big titles on your main like you have other games. You have some pretty impressive plats, not sure why you stopped finishing games or switched accounts. you obviously have some talent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheRealClayman said:

I did read. Congrats on having multiple accounts because why not play the big titles on your main like you have other games. You have some pretty impressive plats, not sure why you stopped finishing games or switched accounts. you obviously have some talent.

Wow... Thanks for that! That was nice of you to say. And the reason I have another account is because that account I only have games with 100% 

I hate that some of the games I have played on this account don't have servers anymore. Or no way to get to finish them. It bothered me so much that I made another account. This account is like my test account. And if I don't like a game or if I'm not sure about it. Then I'll use it on this account. If I like a game A LOT!!!!!! Then I'll play it on both accounts and Plat it on both! So That other account is at 100% With the exception of 1 or 2 games that I am currently playing. And then when I finish them I'll move on to others. I only use that account for games that I know I would like after playing a demo or with a friend or something. And games I KNOW that I can and will finish. 

On 12/5/2020 at 7:13 AM, SuchRemorse said:

I've played all the games mentioned, and I have to agree Control is definitely at the bottom of the list. I spend more time running around aimlessly than actually playing the game, using the signs instead of the map helps a lot tho. The visuals of the game threw me off as well, is was so bland and boring. Even the combat wasn't fun imo. I did like the story, especially the short side quests with the clocks and the fridge. But all in all a very mediocre experience for me.

Edited by CabDK

I was excited to get this as part of PS Now. Started playing it a couple months back and the first couple hours bored me so much that I stopped playing and moved on to other things. I gave it another chance recently and I'm glad I did. Once you start getting powers this game starts getting really fun. As mentioned before the combat has an "Infamous with guns" vibe. 

Not GOTY material but I'm definitely enjoying it now. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2020 at 8:03 AM, FEARTRAIN said:

My only complaint with the combat is: Falling damage in general and falling off the edge = DEATH. The field of view is too narrow and your not given a good enough view on what is directly below or behind Jessie. All made even worse with the abstract/obtuse environments and completely frustrating with a game over penalty and 10% source loss. Definite misstep.

totally agree. I tried jumping down to the next level in Central Research and bam! -10%. It is overdone in this aspect.

On 5/31/2020 at 10:51 AM, CabDK said:

I've played all the games mentioned, and I have to agree Control is definitely at the bottom of the list. I spend more time running around aimlessly than actually playing the game, using the signs instead of the map helps a lot tho. The visuals of the game threw me off as well, is was so bland and boring. Even the combat wasn't fun imo. I did like the story, especially the short side quests with the clocks and the fridge. But all in all a very mediocre experience for me.

agree with most of the above. The game has its moments but overall it is plain.

On 3/31/2020 at 1:04 AM, SuchRemorse said:

I have heard great things about this game! I finally decided to give it a shot! I just finished level one and I'm seriously disappointed. I mean I know it's early in the game but so far nothing is fun at all! 

All the collectables I found to this point (files etc) provide nothing interesting. After my first 5 I just stopped reading them because they don't provide any useful information!

And now I just met a few characters. I really don't even care what they are talking about! Just running around aimlessly. If this is it I'm going to be really disappointed! Running back and fourth in some government building with occasional corny (so far) 3rd person gun play.

And what's with all the floating bodies all in the air!? I seriously though the game was glitched when I saw that. Anyway to whoever is enjoying this game. More power to you! 

Late to the party, but I'm with you. I like the game a bit better than you, because I thought the corny 3rd person gameplay was pretty fun (though nothing special).

I just can't believe that the story plays it so straight. In a world where jukeboxes are objects of power, taking you to another realm, and evil creatures can possess refrigerators and rubber ducks, where is the humor in the storyline? They need a little Grant Morrison Doom Patrol magic here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 5:20 AM, Zarmatura93 said:

Can't really say that sudden difficulty spikes ever was an issue for me. As long as you keep moving and prioritize your targets, I found the game to be rather easy.
My only frustration came from the confusing layout of the map and how poorly lit some areas were. But eventually you learn your way around anyway, so it wasn't that much of a deal in the end.

I'm having lag issues with my game and the worst part is that it keeps telling me to keep moving in a battle, but my character can't run for the life of her...whenever i try to move forward (or run forward with the sprint button) it's just a bunch of stutter stops...she walks a step, then runs a step and then walks 3 more, then runs 1 then walks again...it's super annoying as it is like this throughout the whole game for me...i just finished Chapter 7 and have still not been able to run more than 3 or 4 steps at a time...i get swarmed in battles because i can't move quickly at all...