If your looking for a quick fix...

I haven't played any Metroidvania style of games in a while, and this game is certainly a quick fix for those suffering from withdrawals of Castlevania. :holy: It's pretty short, more equipment based than previous titles (no leveling up), and in my opinion it feels like only 1/2 a game thanks to the dlc.

(Which is pretty pricey all together. :shakefist: )

On the flip side, it is multiplayer, both local (4 player) and online (6 player), It has a kick-@ss soundtrack, and features many of the protagonists from previous games. :awesome:

All in all If you have an itch for some Metroidvania style Castlevania, looking for another couch co-op game for you and your buddies, or just like Castlevania in general I highly recommend this game. ;)

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair $14.99
  • 6 Chapters + Ch 7 Map Pack
  • 5 Characters + Julius Belmont and Yoko Belnades Character Packs
  • 5 Characters include:
  • Soma Cruz (Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow)
  • Adrian Farenheights Tepes "Alucard" (Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Symphony of the Night)
  • Jonathan Morris (Portrait of Ruin)
  • :holy: Shanoa (Order of Ecclesia)
  • Charlotte Aulin (Portrait of Ruin)

(DLC)

• Extra Background Music 1 $1.99
  • Extra Background Music 2 $1.99
  • Ch 8 Map Pack The One Who is Many $3.99
  • Ch 9 Map Pack Lord of the Flies $3.99
  • Ch 10 Map Pack Origins $2.99
  • Ch 11 Map Pack Legend of Fuma $2.99
  • Getsu Fuma Character Pack $1.99
  • Maria Renard Character Pack $2.99
  • Richter Belmont Character Pack $2.99
  • Simon Belmont Character Pack $1.99

Total cost = $27.90

Gameplay Video

Protip:

Hold R2 when you select a color for your character. ;)

Let's play sometime B)

The old Castlevania games have eluded my grasp for the longest time. I haven't played one. The PS3 rendition wasn't any good for me, but the old and new look completely different.

But seriously- they charge for background music?

The game has it's own BGM, I guess I should have worded that better. :P The BGM for sale is pretty much extra BGM you can choose for a stage once you complete it. Sorry about that. ^_^

It looks and sounds Castlevania, that's for sure. Maybe I should give it a chance, I barely played it. I didn't like the feel of it much. Too different from what I love about the series, post SoTN. Do you get to backtrack and all, like the classic Metroidvania scheme?

Yeah there is a chapter select so you can go looting with your friends, I believe there is a demo as well so you can give it a whirl.

As previous titles you can level up, but only your spells. You get most of your stat boosts from the armor you find hence the chapter select.

• 1 year later...