SelectiveGamer

How difficult is this game? Seriously? (help I guess)

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Another game I keep hearing too much about. But all I come across with research about it on my own is pretty much 'it's hard. it's hard. IT'S REALLY FREAKING HARD'

If I get it... it would be the Switch version. because streams would just be me dying constantly

So how hard is this? Seriously? I've played hard stuff before technically. I guess. Persona 3 FES 'The Answer' (bosses took several attempts) and Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (levels and pretty much everything in general took several tries until I memorized the levels). It was worth it for Crash because I got all gems in all games except one gem in Crash 3 (speedrunning one).

But I don't like anything difficult. Like at all. I put myself through those games because I had a 'keep trying until I win' and 'I refuse to give up' mentality. I'm just not confident, at all, that would work for this depending on if it truly is this difficult. I can only put myself through so much. I've heard comparisons to Dark Souls which is supposedly the hardest game ever made.

All this stuff about the difficulty is turning me away from it severely.

So good luck convincing me otherwise with this one. Seriously. But I'm here and I'm listening.

Also there's no demo for me to try like there was for Nier Automata.

Edited by SelectiveGamer

Play it. You seem to want it. Yes. You.

I want to play it too, it looks amazing. I definitely will. You should too. Don't fight it. Regret it later. Who knows, you may not regret it at all.

46 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Another game I keep hearing too much about. But all I come across with research about it on my own is pretty much 'it's hard. it's hard. IT'S REALLY FREAKING HARD'

If I get it... it would be the Switch version. because streams would just be me dying constantly

So how hard is this? Seriously? I've played hard stuff before technically. I guess. Persona 3 FES 'The Answer' (bosses took several attempts) and Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (levels and pretty much everything in general took several tries until I memorized the levels). It was worth it for Crash because I got all gems in all games except one gem in Crash 3 (speedrunning one).

But I don't like anything difficult. Like at all. I put myself through those games because I had a 'keep trying until I win' and 'I refuse to give up' mentality. I'm just not confident, at all, that would work for this depending on if it truly is this difficult. I can only put myself through so much. I've heard comparisons to Dark Souls which is supposedly the hardest game ever made.

All this stuff about the difficulty is turning me away from it severely.

So good luck convincing me otherwise with this one. Seriously. But I'm here and I'm listening.

Also there's no demo for me to try like there was for Nier Automata.

if you just want to beat the story and get the standard ending, nothing too hard. if you want to get the true ending theres a challenge and if you want the full 100% its going to be very hard.

31 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

if you just want to beat the story and get the standard ending, nothing too hard. if you want to get the true ending theres a challenge and if you want the full 100% its going to be very hard.

I feel like I have to ask. How hard exactly is it to get True Ending?

7 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

depends on your skill level. i would just play it. its a great game... would be a shame to miss out on. if its trophies youbare worried about just get the switch version.

1 hour ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I've heard comparisons to Dark Souls which is supposedly the hardest game ever made.

Hahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no, just no 

As for this game, it requires memorizing every level and the bosses require a certain skillset.

I would suggest other games that are metroidvania if you are just looking for fun like Timespinners or Castlevania SOTN

Posted (edited)

Just platinumed it yesterday. I'd say the majority of the game is a 5/10 or less in difficulty. Harder than Spyro, but easier than Crash.

If you want the platinum, though... The fifth Pantheon bumps it up to an 8 or 9. Personally, I think it's too big of a jump in difficulty to suddenly ask the player to beat the hardest version of every boss in a row without dying and no checkpoints.

I'm normally against comparing every game to Dark Souls, but...yeah, I can see the comparison. Dark Souls is probably a 5/10 too. It's just pattern memorization.

Play it. It's beautiful.

Edited by Cassylvania

Posted (edited)

Well, if you are getting the Switch version, then you are not really going to go for a platinum, in which case... the game is not hard at all. I agree with Cassy above, might even rate this a 4/10 overall if you just focus on the main story, but that's scaled with respect to the games I have on my account.

That being said, there is also a bit of a challenge in finding your way around if you don't resort to a guide. It is a game made for exploration, and the world you are thrown into is huge, so you need to be in the mood for this kind of game. 

6 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

There are different "True Endings". One could argue that the real True Ending is locked behind DLC content, in which case it is hard, like 7/10 hard (in my subjective rating). You need to beat the hardest version of 42 bosses, in a row, without checkpoints. Took me roughly 25 hours of practice to get that done. 

In any case, it is a beautiful game, definitely in my top-5 games on the PS4, and for 15$ or whatever it costs these days it is more than worth the value. 

Edited by Arcesius

Admittedly... I do want it. It does look really pretty from all the videos I've been watching for it. I use guides for most of the games I play so that may help (although I suppose it may not help).

We'll see. I guess for now I'll continue researching the difficulty as it's still the main concern for me.

someone stream it so i can watch because it might help me determine if it's to hard for me or not

If you do not like difficult games, you will not like Hollow Knight.

I played the game legit all the way through up until Part 13 of ooptinob's guide on it. But The White Palace (not SO bad in the grand scheme but still very difficult) and the Pantheon's and specifically the 4th and 5th Pantheons are some of the hardest challenges I've ever seen in a video game. I have played some tough games on PS4, have 89 platinums, 28 of them are very rare platinums (sub-10% plat rate). Hollow Knight, if there was no invincibility glitch, would easily be sub-1% in my opinion. What it asks you to do on that 5th Pantheon of grinding through every boss in the game, and then take on the final boss - is mind-boggling. 

That being said - there's a glitch you can do that's relatively easy that avoids all of that pain so....

I do warn you - the game, not following ooptinob's guide and going in blind, will still be challenging. Nothing compared to the later stuff - but I died several times on bosses with the best weaponset and charms because the games demands an extremely high level of reaction time and skill in order to beat it. That being said, it's adorable and having played it I get now why so many people love it - even if I didn't adore the challenge as much as they did. 

9 hours ago, realm722 said:

If you do not like difficult games, you will not like Hollow Knight.

I played the game legit all the way through up until Part 13 of ooptinob's guide on it. But The White Palace (not SO bad in the grand scheme but still very difficult) and the Pantheon's and specifically the 4th and 5th Pantheons are some of the hardest challenges I've ever seen in a video game. I have played some tough games on PS4, have 89 platinums, 28 of them are very rare platinums (sub-10% plat rate). Hollow Knight, if there was no invincibility glitch, would easily be sub-1% in my opinion. What it asks you to do on that 5th Pantheon of grinding through every boss in the game, and then take on the final boss - is mind-boggling. 

That being said - there's a glitch you can do that's relatively easy that avoids all of that pain so....

I do warn you - the game, not following ooptinob's guide and going in blind, will still be challenging. Nothing compared to the later stuff - but I died several times on bosses with the best weaponset and charms because the games demands an extremely high level of reaction time and skill in order to beat it. That being said, it's adorable and having played it I get now why so many people love it - even if I didn't adore the challenge as much as they did. 

1. I'm not going for the Platinum

2. I bought the Switch version for the specific reason of not being bothered by trophies

But thanks for the warnings regardless