Rate The Game You Are Currently Playing

Azaan60

• 2 weeks later...

Prey - 11/10.

This game is sublime.

Seriously, in a year littered with excellent games, this one stands taller than any other one Ive played.

After playing Horizon, I was ready for any game I played to dissapoint, but the feeling of specificity of place, the creep factor, the exploration and story and info gathering are top notch.

This game is really something special - It feels like the developers broke into my brain and simply extracted everything i love about all my favourite games (Bioshock, Syndicate, Souls series, Singularity, Fallout 3, Lone Survivor, Portal, Dishonored) and made a game tailored to all the best parts of them.

The fact that every person on the space station is accounted for and has a well written back story, the look of the ship and the world-building, the enemy ability to transform into objects, the freedom to explore and the huge amount of meaningful side quests, the bredth of customisation, the fact that it can be played as a stealth game/ a shooter/ a survival game/ a sneaky hack-a-thon, EVERYTHING about this game appeals to me, and little parts of it just keep impressing me every hour I play.

If anyone is on the fence about this one - DO IT.  Its fantastic - I stake my entire gaming 'reputation' (such as it is!) on it.

• Like 2

I'm playing three at the moment.

Bloodborne (again) - 8/10 - Oh how I hate the blood vial system. Yet I keep coming back. I absolutely adore this game but like many FromSoft games it's a flawed masterpiece.

Persona 5 - 10/10 - While Golden still sits atop the Persona throne for me, this one has cemented it's place as my number two in the franchise.

Final Fantasy XIV - 8/10 - I'm a Lalafell! Lalalalalalalalalalalalafellllllllllllll!!!  This game enables my innate urge to be an annoying, adorable little piece of shit so much it's worrying. Have you seen my little Lalafell dance? You have?! Well, get ready to see it again! What do you mean I'm spamming your text box? Forget your text box! Look at how cute I am!

Edited by RisingSenpai616
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Broken Age: 5/10. Honestly, feels like a medicore game at its worst, and an average at its peak. Not really sure what motivated me to start it, but I have regrets about it. Going to push through and platinum it, but probably one of the more forgettable point and clicks I've played. Shame as I had hopes for this one, but not every game will live up to my expectations. 

Dragon Quest Builders

Image result for dragon quest builders

Its fantastic, I'm really loving it, its so fun to play and has so much charm. 8/10 so far

Cosmic Star Heroine

Image result for Cosmic Star Heroine

This games a gem about half way through its a really nice RPG, reminds me of FFVII in some way but in the style of <6, 

so far 7/10

Tekken 7 (PS4) - 8/10

Easily by far my favorite fighting game of the year. Loved the story, new characters, and the addictive treasure mode. While it does have its issues such as the long loading times and the crappy "character stories" of the campaign, the fighting's good, with the new mechanics being great.

Tekken Tag Tournament (PS3) - 8/10

Tekken Tag 2 is easily the best Tekken game on last gen. after Tekken 6. A huge roster of characters, old and new, pretty stunning stages, and the fighting's as good as ever. Loved the ending of arcade mode for some of the characters, especially the gag ones. However, one thing that I hate about the game is online mode. It's not the mode itself, but that it's being loced behind an "online pass" Remember those?  I don't , it's a shame really since I was excited to play online mode in this one.

Under Defeat HD: Deluxe Edition (PS3) - 7/10 so far

Under Defeat is an all right game so far. However, it doesn't do much of a good job to immediately hook you in on the action or dazzle you with its looks like other shoot e'm ups like Ikaruga and Crimson Clover, respectively. Also, steering the large and pretty slow helicopter is a pain, I know it's not as easy in real life but when there's bullets coming from left and right, it starts to become a drag. Still, one aspect of the game I'm loving the soundtrack, which is filled with some action filled tracks that fit the style the game's going for.

Sorry for the paragraph-long mini-reviews everyone. :P

Crash Bandicoot 10/10

A great game that revived in this age full of remasters and nostalgia milking. I don't care really, the game is so great as I remember it. Great times on PS One and now great times on PS4.

Edited by Iris Heart
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gravity Rush 2  (9 / 10)

I've enjoyed Kat's second outing way more than the first. I loved the new and old characters, the gameplay was great with some new additions, and the production values are among the best on the PS4 so far. My gripes with the game are the annoying camera which tends to get in the way often, the poor stealth sections, and the second act of the story which was pretty sluggish. Despite all that, the ending left me satisfied and I'm pretty interested to what will happen to the series next.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Finished Final Fantasy XII a couple of days ago. Won't rate it with a score but will rate it by saying that it was such a unique JRPG.

Even though it was release 11 years ago, I still think that developers can look back at the game and take some things from the game that no one ever has. The gambit system is something that could have only been created at the time of FFXII's development as it was Final Fantasy's first step beyond turn-based combat. But as time went by and Final Fantasy's combat become even further from turn-based than FFXII was, it seems that people forgot that bridge between turn-based and action RPGs.

The story was very interesting but also convoluted. There's a whole lot of information about how and why FFXII's story feels so much like Star Wars but there's a lot to it so I won't get into it. I wanted to get that out of the way so I could share my thoughts that most of FFXII's concepts feel like they're from the original trilogy, FFXII's setting feels like it's from the prequels, and even though it came out a decade earlier FFXII feels like Rogue One at some parts and especially at the end. And yes, even though FFXII may not have borrowed from Star Wars directly, it's an interesting mesh and one I hope I explained well enough. My one gripe I have with the story, or rather story aspects of the game, is that quite a few things are unnecessarily convoluted. For a start, most of the character names which they made from scratch don't exactly feel natural to say. I guess I have to bring up Star Wars again when I say that it is a good example of how to do character names right as there are few names which are hard to remember. Some such as Penelo, Vaan and Larsa were fine but when it came to names like Balthier, it didn't exactly click. This may not seem like a big problem but when you have more than just characters with awkward names in a game, it can be harder to juggle and remember all of the names and relate them to each other. Also, this is coming from a person who just saw Blade Runner 2049; I know the definition of confusion and ambiguity. Alright, enough about Star Wars. I tried to stay away from it but it was way too convenient to not do a comparison.

One thing that really kept the game going for me were the hunts. They made grinding interesting as it added an extra layer. I wasn't just grinding to level up, I was also grinding to complete these hunts, earn items and earn gil; it was very rewarding. I also planned to continue these hunts after I finished the game but it turns out that my previous save put me back quite a bit, oh well.

The zodiac system was pretty cool. There are many recommendations on job classes to choose but because I was a fool I thought "I'm not going to go along with any of these recommendations, I'm going to figure out the game for myself". I definitely should have listened to people who were more experienced than me because it turned out that some of the job classes for my characters contradicted the others when it came to picking a second one. Although that would have helped me, I still wasn't completely destroyed by the choices I made due to the gambit system and the wide choice the game gave me to play the game how I want. By the end of the game I had created a good ecosystem between my characters that made sure I was doing well no matter what type of enemy I was fighting. It is a great feeling sitting back and watching the system you have created at work.

Conclusively, Final Fantasy XII was a JRPG like no other I've played. The choices it gave you to play the game created for a very satisfying experience the whole way through. The story was solid but could use a little touching-up here and there. Personally, it was an experience worth experiencing.

Edited by olimoo101