How doable is this collection?

I'm not one to bitch on games having a platinum over some others not having a platinum despite being fairly difficult. But this collection looks pretty tough.

As a completionist the Blue Belt trophy truly worries me, without that trophy I probably would of gotten this collection months ago and finished it. 30 Ranked Matches is nothing since it doesn't matter how many times you lose, you win 30 matches you should get the trophy. The problem with the Blue Belt trophy is you will lose points if you lose ranked matches, so you can be at the bottom tier for points on a belt and struggle gaining enough points to move on to the next one. The trophy requires a minimum of 100 - 200 matches where you have to win, sometimes more if you happen to suck at fighting games like me.

There's a few games in this collection that I never played, and I'm mostly buying this for nostalgic purposes. So while I consider myself a completionist, I'm not a 100 percent completionist so I can totally ignore the Blue Belt trophy if it's giving me too many problems.

You can boost the Blue Belt trophy but I don't know how efficient that is since I would guess that technically you need to fight your boosting partner at least 150 - 200 times. Plus I imagine when you move up in ranks the games will automatically throw you against different opponents.

Should I buy, buy and not worry about 100 percenting it, or just pass this one up and find other games?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grimydawg___ said:

You can boost that trophy, if you're not good.  You don't lose your rank either.

True, but you lose points by losing and you basically go down to the minimum points that got you the belt. You won't go down in belts which is good, the issue is actually winning enough games to rank up.

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

This trophy is 100% boostable and  not losing belts means you can't lose points under the belt threshold either. For instance if you reach 155 points you get the yellow belt. Even if you lose from that point, you will never get under 155 points anymore. All you need is a partner that wants to boost with you at the same time, pick the first street fighter 2 online game (that nobody plays) and trade belts. Besides if you trade wins, your partner will win 15 points and you will lose around 5 points, considering you have more than the required points for the belt. 

It is very important to rank at the same time (you get a belt then your partner needs to get the belt next) else you won't be able to match up against him if the point difference is too great.

Probably a good thing, considering how old these games are (SF 2 is nearly 30 years old) so not many people playing them anymore.

I'll likely pick this up eventually, I haven't checked any of the recent sales but normally it costs too much. So I'm basically waiting for this to go on sale before I buy it.

May not do it all in one sitting since you have to play a lot of matches.

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

Honestly I would worry more about street fighter 1 and street fighter 2 (the first one) games xD the AI is super cheap. 

I just did Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection and the AI was cheap in all three games, especially Mortal Kombat II. You can lower the difficulty on Street Fighter II, but beating the game on the highest difficulty gives you the best ending. That's completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I just did Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection and the AI was cheap in all three games, especially Mortal Kombat II. You can lower the difficulty on Street Fighter II, but beating the game on the highest difficulty gives you the best ending. That's completely unnecessary.

Oh believe me, lowering the difficulty doesn't do anything xD at least for me. I had around 50 tries against Vega in SF2 and close to 30 against Sagat in SF1 and boy was it frustrating. 

It's just that the controls are super archaic and the AI just reads your inputs like there's no tomorrow...on the easiest setting.

Unlocking Shin Akuma is super easy truth be told in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Good luck beating him though!

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

Oh believe me, lowering the difficulty doesn't do anything xD at least for me. I had around 50 tries against Vega in SF2 and close to 30 against Sagat in SF1 and boy was it frustrating. 

It's just that the controls are super archaic and the AI just reads your inputs like there's no tomorrow...on the easiest setting.

Unlocking Shin Akuma is super easy truth be told in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Good luck beating him though!

I played Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II as a kid back in the day almost side by side.

Street Fighter II is a lot more difficult in pulling off combos. In Mortal Kombat II you can have slower reflexes and slower button input and you'll still be able to pull off most moves in the game. I can adjust to most of the Mortal Kombat characters.

In Street Fighter you have to be fast as fuck. I've seen guys master Dhalsim who is easily one of the most difficult and frustrating characters in the entire franchise to get down pat. His learning curve is extremely steep, contrast that to Ryu and Ken who are both easy to pick up and not nearly as difficult to master.

Mortal Kombat is definitely more casual friendly. Street Fighter you have to be a real expert to beat the story on the hardest difficulty. This includes all the story/character based trophies in Ultra Street Fighter IV. Just absolutely fucking nuts. Something I will never do.

I have a lot more familiarity with the classic games.. but should I decide to pick up this collection it won't be easy. Number 1: I suck against human online opponents. Number 2: The AI is cheap, probably moreso than the Mortal Kombat games.

• Like 1

Oh god Dhalsim. He's such a weird character to play against and master. Somehow I feel that charge characters (the ones where you  have to hold a button in the opposite direction of the attack,then quickly press the direction + attack, like Guile or Balrog ) are more difficult to learn, but that is depending on playstyle. Ryu and Ken are the most basic of the characters ( heck, everybody says to start with them if you are new to the series) but once you go online with them you better be ready to get some sick strategies out, most people know how to counter them by now.

But anyway, I feel that MK is more user friendly, because you can input the basic combos keys and the character will do the combo, no timing required. The difficulty in Street Fighter comes not from speed, but from that perfect timing required to input your buttons. Punishing mistakes is the way to go in these games. Just miss a Shoryuken against a Dhalsim (since we were talking about him) and he will yoga fire your ass into oblivion.

As for the collection...yeah boosting is your best bet. The only active game from the collection seems to be 3rd Strike (and boy the players there are monsters, barely won 2 matches out of 20-30 as a white belt). Offline.... Vega from SF2, Bison from Alpha 3 and Gill from Street Fighter 3 will be so fun to face xD Gill has even become a meme at one point. I believe they are comparable to Shao Kahn and Goro. Shin Akuma is more like Motaro in terms of cheapness, he can end you with 2-3 attacks. As fitting for games coming from the arcade machines, the AI  just straight  up reads your input. I am still curious if anyone could ever damage Vega in air.

Hope you will enjoy  the games though, should you buy the collection :) 

I'm basically waiting for a sale because $39.99 is completely ridiculous for a collection of old Street Fighter games.

You can adjust the difficulty setting in the options for the games. So that's pretty good, only you get a crappier ending for the fighters but then again you just look up the endings on YouTube if you're curious.

• Like 2

Got this done today. Had my shit together (prepped SP saves, second ps4 & arcade stick) and all in all it's about a 1/10 difficulty. I got the fastest time but was a bit laid back about it so I'm expecting someone to come along in the future with a time of around 3 hours or so. Pretty bland trophy list so why not do something like that I reckon.

I ran into heaps of randoms who lagged horribly like they were playing from a hotspot tethered from the Maccas across the road. Initially I was bailing but after copping 3 in a row I got the shits and started bashing them till they fucked off. They did & around yellow belt territory I came across a rando that was pretty handy with Dhalsim, had a few fights and got bashed in a lot of them. The lag was demoralising, would have been really nice to fight that player for real. My internet isn't bad these days so I think the netcode might be a bit shit which sucks 'cause I like SF 2 & 3 much more than 4 & 5 and would bother firing this collection up for recreation if it didn't lag so badly. 

IMO the AI in any of the games don't even come close to being as annoying as various old Neo Geo games or those early Mortal Kombat games. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Drag-On-Detritus said:

Got this done today. Had my shit together (prepped SP saves, second ps4 & arcade stick) and all in all it's about a 1/10 difficulty. I got the fastest time but was a bit laid back about it so I'm expecting someone to come along in the future with a time of around 3 hours or so. Pretty bland trophy list so why not do something like that I reckon.

I ran into heaps of randoms who lagged horribly like they were playing from a hotspot tethered from the Maccas across the road. Initially I was bailing but after copping 3 in a row I got the shits and started bashing them till they fucked off. They did & around yellow belt territory I came across a rando that was pretty handy with Dhalsim, had a few fights and got bashed in a lot of them. The lag was demoralising, would have been really nice to fight that player for real. My internet isn't bad these days so I think the netcode might be a bit shit which sucks 'cause I like SF 2 & 3 much more than 4 & 5 and would bother firing this collection up for recreation if it didn't lag so badly. 

IMO the AI in any of the games don't even come close to being as annoying as various old Neo Geo games or those early Mortal Kombat games. 

Beast effort in getting fastest achiever man, well done!

There are certain games where its tough to crack that feat, and every street fighter falls into that category. Impressive shit!

• Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 5:58 PM, Demon--Prototype said:

Beast effort in getting fastest achiever man, well done!

There are certain games where its tough to crack that feat, and every street fighter falls into that category. Impressive shit!

Thanks! Although with this one it's just the boosting holding most people back from getting the list done with ease. That third strike 100% on ps3 was way more demanding. As for you mate you know I saw that Astebreed platinum, fucken beastly that! Well done!! Almost makes me want to go back & put more than 5 hours into the game haha.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Im more of a Tekken and VF guy. So i will admit i havent played some of these (SFA3 is an absolute classic though).

Goddamn do the early games feel harder than they used to though. Admittedly ive never played SF1 which is uggghhh. Ive played most versions of SF2 though and beat them but damn on here its tricky as hell.

Bison in Alpha 3 to me is manageable (Got the trophy for that!) but in SF2 he just stomps me. Gill, ughh dont start. 

Im a Blanka main so it gets tough when he's not in the version im playing. That said its hard even when he is!

Oh well shouldnt complain. Get Gud!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I did the online with 2 ps4's set all the settings the same and it was pretty easy to connect with my alt account, some of the games are pretty tough, in my opinion Saget was one of the hardest characters to beat. My main was Ryu and we'll the save and load option gives you a pretty good advantage, keep spamming shuriken's and then save just in case it goes bad you can load your save and the enemy will already have a lower health bar, hope this can help someone