This Game is Actually Amazing

Mr_Tenno777

Cool, I enjoyed it as well. But to be honest the first time I played this game on PS3 I didn’t like it and stopped playing. Forgot all about it until it was offered for free on Plus, the PS4 remastered version. Played it and really enjoyed it the second time around. Replayed Heavy Rain (PS4) and even Fahrenheit (PS4) as a result. 

Did you play the game in the original order or chronologically?

Edited by Sifferino
  • Like 1

I think it's just one of those games that someone has to be in the right mood to enjoy. I tried playing it in 2018, couldn't get into it and didn't touch it again for over a year, then tried again and still couldn't get into it, but last month I picked it up a third time and played 3 full playthroughs in less than a week, loving every second of it. I imagine there are a lot of people who don't give a game that many chances though and that's bound to hurt the general opinion of it.

Edited by skyships
  • Like 2

I only remember good opinions and reviews when it came out on the PS3. I loved playing it! I used to watch PewDiePie a lot and he started playing it, the playthrough was very interesting so thats how I got introduced to it and decided to buy it. Back so many years ago I didn’t pay attention to game teasers/trailers etc. so shoutout to Pewds. ?

• Like 2

It's an extremely David Cage game; whether that's good or bad is more complex. I think people gave it a hard time due to the controversy around Ellen Page's involvement and the relative lack of branching story compared to Heavy Rain. It's still a little bit jarring to see actual film & TV stars in video games. I enjoyed all three (Heavy Rain/Beyond/Detroit) so I guess I'm the target audience for these dumb stories. :P

• Like 2

It is without a doubt a great game, I remember loving it so much when I played it for the first time in 2018 :) But I understand why people have a bad relationship with this game: it is a huge step backwards compared to Heavy Rain, but it's still a true classic.

• Like 1

I agree it is one of the best games I've ever played..loved the graphics, story, acting and soundtracks. It had a lot of emotional moments and Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe did an outstanding job! <3

Gotta admit I liked Heavy Rain a bit more but B2S is still great ! yet to play Detroit Become Human ;)

Edited by ahmedelebiary
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ahmedelebiary said:

Gotta admit I liked Heavy Rain a bit more but B2S is still great ! yet to play Detroit Become Human ;)

Good news: I am the same (liked B2S, liked HR even better) and I have recently played DBH... it is freaking awesome! Drop everything, go play it now ?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/3/2020 at 7:11 PM, Juzota said:

Yeah, I did enjoy it very much. The only part I dislike was the Navajo-part, it just felt so out of place compared to rest of the game.

Out of place it definitely is, yet that's my favorite chapter by a fair margin. It's the only part I didn't mind playing again and again for the plat. Such an amazing atmosphere. Consequently, (spoiler)

Spoiler

life with Jay

is also my favorite ending even though it would have deserved much more work imo.

Edited by JeManquedHygiene

• 5 months later...

I honestly enjoyed this game much more than Heavy Rain. I know I can be biased due to the fact that I played Heavy Rain on PS4 2 months ago and I found the gameplay, the graphics and the mechanics terrible. Also the platinum journey was absolutely a nightmare to the point I've started to hate it towards the end. 

Beyond: Two Souls is not flawless and there are some parts, as others have already mentioned, which seem to be too untied from the rest of the story, but overall it is enjoyable.

The platinum however is still a grind due to the several times you have to replay certain sections of the game.

Edited by ShinySpidey

I wouldn't call it amazing but it's good. The thing about Cage's games is that they're mostly subjective, you either like the setting and story or you don't. I loved Detroit, liked Beyond. Heavy Rain was ok I guess, the ending was... Childish? With the bad guy's motive and all, felt like a bad movie that's almost so bad it's good, but only almost. You can talk about gameplay and all, but really, what gameplay? Looking at things and QTEs? I liked Beyond more than I expected to like it. But honestly... I would prefer these games as TV shows, with each season depicting the same events from different perspectives and with different outcomes, to mimic the choices we can make in the games. 

Other that not liking the fact that these games are games ? yeah, Beyond was surprisingly engaging story-wise. 

I played my first playthrough without guide and spoiler, it was absolutely great game. However, when I compared with the Heavy Rain I liked the Heavy Rain a bit more. B2S platinum road was really grind and boring ( especially playing again the Navajo :() but I am still willing to play it again on ps3. I didn't play Detroit Become Human yet. I hope it will be more enjoyable. 

I played this on PS3 in 2015 about a year after I played Heavy Rain.  I liked them both, but Heavy Rain wasn't what I expected going into it.  I'm not a fan of the controls in these games, especially Heavy Rain, but the game was good.  I enjoyed the story in both.  I got the Platinum in both.  Years later I got the two-pack on PS4 free on Plus but didn't replay them until also getting Detroit on Plus.  I played this first, then Detroit, then Heavy Rain, each a month apart - getting all 3 Plats - and enjoyed all 3.  This time through I played Beyond in chronological order since I was already familiar with the story and I actually greatly preferred it this way.  I guess I wasn't familiar with all the hate this game got when it came out.  There's lots of different gaming experiences to be had, and these are a little different, but still very interesting from a story perspective.  Maybe people just had different expectations, like I did when I played Heavy Rain, and they couldn't get over it.  Even playing for Plat, which can be very tedious with all the various endings, I still enjoyed them.  Of the 3, this one ended up being my favorite.

• 1 month later...
Just now, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

qte game where half the qte prompts are missing lol, it's awful like most quantic dream games wish i'd not started it now, knowing i gotta go through this awful shit

If there's missing prompts, there's something wrong, maybe a bad install? 

have you tried deleting the game data and reinstalling?

• Like 1

I genuinely love Cage games, and with time, Beyond has grown to be my favorite even among Heavy Rain. Some of his ideas are just incredible, the Navajo Chapter, the Condense, The Undersea Base, the Black Sun. So much of this I had never seen before in a game and his attention to detail is phenomenal. People are free to disagree and dislike, but for me, it was a fulfilling story to take in. 

I do think Beyond deserved a better reception than it actually got, but I still wouldn't describe it as amazing. The production values are satisfyingly high, but ultimately it's a heavily plot-driven game that doesn't have an especially good plot. There's a lack of depth to it, too. Something happens. Someone's good. Someone's evil. There's a desert. Things just sort of happen without any real theme to tie it all together. 

All of Quantic Dream's games have this problem IMO. The initial concept is there, but it doesn't really go anywhere. It doesn't say anything. Beyond doesn't get me thinking about "life after death," which I believe was one of the original intentions, in the same way that Heavy Rain doesn't get me thinking about "fatherhood." I need more to go on than the basic narrative hook.

Come to think of it, the "twist" of most endings in Beyond is pretty awful, too. 

• Like 1