I played U1&2, now I have two questions for everyone who played the entire ND collection, before starting U3

tl;dr (longer, detailed and maybe unnecessary/uninteresting explanation below):

1. Can I finish a playthrough of U3 on Hard, then finish one on Crushing doing the tweak glitch for infinite ammo and one shot kills, then finish one on Brutal doing the tweak glitch for infinite ammo and one shot kills? I have the digital v1.02 from PS+.

2. How much room for errors do the four speedrun trophies (three chapters, one continuous) leave you, if you are struggling with rushing fights?

Hey there,

I have an absolute hatelove relationship with this series so far. I couldn't beat U1 on Crushing, I was stuck in chapter 4 until a friend played it for me. Soon, I found it more fun to learn the skip glitches than to actually play the game. Despite this, I had to revert to Hard in chapter 11 (since I failed the last step of the chapter 8 to 12 skip and couldn't do the big fight at the start of 11 on Crushing), and still had the same friend playing chapter 18 onwards for me until the end (more of a convenience really, since she liked the game). Then I played the game on Crushing with the tweak glitch, afterwards I did the same with Brutal. The most rewarding moment was when I got that difficult chapter 18 to 20 skip to work on my Brutal playthrough (that I could never pull off in previous attempts), so I didn't have to suffer through those awful chapters (I hate "mutants").

The continuous speedrun was very stressful and it took me probably ten hours to get it done in around 2h13 (pausing every five minutes or so). I only managed to get this time because I used a lot of fight skipping (no chapter skips allowed or the trophy is voided). Comparing afterwards to the times of said friend, who had 2h25, I saved about 19 minutes with fight skipping, meaning I would not have been able to do it legit in the needed time.

After that, I had no interest in playing U2, and yet ... it intrigued me so much! I even started literally dreaming about playing it. I never dreamed about playing a game. It wasn't just one night, it was seven nights in a row, not even joking. So I finally gave in, after watching some videos and reading some guides, and started U2 on Crushing. It was still difficult, yes, but I found it way more doable than Crushing on U1, and everything in this game is superior to the first one, except the fact that there are no major skips (that don't involve weird airwalk stuff and so on). So I had really fun up until chapter 14, where I had flashbacks to U1 because it's the same bad mechanics. Chapters 19, 22-25 had the same issues and I was so fed up with it. I didn't even want to attempt Brutal afterwards, since U2 (v1.02) also doesn't have the tweak glitch. But, of course, I suffered through this too, playing from late afternoon to early morning in one go. When the Brutal trophy popped, I just said "I hate this game" (fun fact: I did the infamous train checkpoint in chapter 14 without dying once, no idea how that happend). I found Brutal to be way harder than Brutal on U1.

Platinum was within reach, but only the speedrun was missing from the DLC trophies. So I started that. I played again for maybe nine to ten hours and barely did it in 3h26, using the helicopter fight skip in chapter 6 and the climbing skip in chapter 22, which saved me around 5 minutes, so I wouldn't have been able to do it legit in the needed time. My biggest problem were the fire fights, I just get stuck in them. I understand that you need to rush, but I just can't do that. Since I didn't get the trophy for speedrunning chapter 3 in the needed time, I tried it several times until I finally got it. Those fire fights man ...

Aaaaaanyway, I have no interest in suffering for this series again. So, if you have played all three games, how would you rate Crushing/Brutal of U3 compared to the first two? I read a lot opinions about that on the internet, of course many people were contradicting each other, so it would help if you could give reasons for why you think it is easier/harder. Also, does the tweak glitch work on U3 from the ND remastered collection that was on PS+ in January? Can I play it once on Hard to enjoy it, once on Crushing with tweaks afterwards, once on Brutal with tweaks afterwards? Please refrain from telling me, that Brutal is the easiest thing you've ever done in all three games, with a blindfold on and your hands tied behind your back and without a controller and within five minutes. You're a gaming god and I'm just not, don't expect stuff from me.

Are there skips (within a chapter or entire chapters) like in U1? Not ones that invovle weird airwalks or crazy stuff like that though, I can't pull that off. Wall clipping in U1 was the best (although I could never pull it off in the shown way, I always had to face the other direction).

Regarding the speedruns, those are very stressful for me and I have the most problems with fire fights. The times for the chapterspeedruns and the continuous speedrun are way higher than in the first two games. Does this mean that there is more room for error? Or are the chapters/is the game really this much longer? Does reloading a checkpoint still sets your time back like in U1&2?

As yet, I have no desire to play the game. But the urge might come and I want to be prepared. Also looking forward to playing U4 when it comes to PS+, but I dont' want to play out of order.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Infernopommes
  • Like 3

It's a great question. I just went for the platinums for all 3 games and never tried to do the tweak glitch for any of them. As far as I can tell the tweak glitch only works on U1 post patch (v1.02). I think you have to do U3 the legit way. That being said I felt that U3 was the easiest of all 3 games simply because there were several sections that you can stealth pretty effectively. I can't speak to brutal but now that I know that Uncharted 4 is coming to PS+ this month I might go back to the first 3 games and give Brutal a shot. I'll let you know what I thought of it.

• Like 1

I just wanted to agree with you that learning how to do the glitches in the first game was way more fun than actually playing it. It was like a beginners guide of how to gamebreak and speedrun lol.

Being said, having just platinumed the 2nd game, even as a mediocre player I found it incredibly easy on crushing, as it was very forgiving with the checkpoint system like in the tank mission. I loved some of the scenery and the character interactions in the game, but was quite dissappointed with how quick it was over with to be honest.

Edited by groomyboy
  • Like 1

I will tell you something that might make your decision easier, though you probably want to keep it mind that this is mainly my opinion and experience. I really feel for what you said about somewhat liking the series, but then ending up hating it due to the dogshit design in high difficulty modes, especially in brutal. I liked UC1, though it was not what I wanted from the series, managed to get through it with a tolerable amount of rage with only a few sections, mainly the jeep chase and some of the bigger firefights.

UC2 made me mad, really mad, crushing without tweaks was a slog, especially the train chapters, the monastery, and that goddamn tank battle, brutal is still on my to do list(will hopefully finish that shit tomorrow) but I expect it to be easier with tweaks, just gotta get lucky to pass through the shitty instant death checkpoints. I liked a fair bit of UC2, story was better for me than the others, characters, some of the levels, the fact that it felt like it improved some mechanics. I would have considered it to be a somewhat decent game if it wasn't for crushing and brutal.

Now to UC3, and I can't stress this enough, but I think it is a solid candidate for my top 5 worst games I have ever played on any console, if I were to make such a list then this game would definitely be on it, at least the crushing mode without tweaks. It is not my rank 1, but playing crushing without tweaks certainly was one of the worst experiences I ever had on the PS4. The story is shit, the characters are worse, the antagonists are downright comical instead of threatening, some of the levels are designed in such a horrendous way that you will beg to have the train level from UC2 back, theres multiple encounters that need you to die over and over again until you get lucky and don't get instantly killed, the supernatural enemies are several times annoying than in the other games, and the mechanics... They changed the enemies from damage sponge soldiers into damage sponge terminators, they last longer and they do not react to getting shot at all, they will charge your position like suicide bombers and even if you riddle them with bullets they will not come to a halt and react like in the first game, they just keep going until they die or you die, if several of them charge you at the same time its just game over. The grenade spam is also absolutely unreal, and throwing back the grenade can kill you either by it flying akwardly or you getting shot in the arm while throwing it back.

My most sincere advice for you, if you are as dumb as me and also decide to suffer through this game because you are a stubborn bastard who wants to finish this series, is to definitely play it on hard to get the tweaks, then play crushing with tweaks, then brutal. Brutal with tweaks absolutely sucked, barely any other gaming experience could compare, but it was still less frustrating than crushing without tweaks because at least you had no immortal terminators storming your position while getting riddled with bullets that have next to no effect. Playing it 3 times is better than this one crushing run without tweaks, I can only imagine what kind of masochist sicko would volunteer to play this game on brutal without tweaks. The design is that bad, so even though it is technically easier than UC2 in terms of raw skill required, it is several times more frustrating if you ask me just because of how cheap it is.

One good thing though, the speedrun on UC3 was noticeably more forgiving than UC2, and some of the skips can make this a damn near guaranteed success even if you usually have trouble with these kind of things. The wisest thing for you would be to not play this at all though, because you seem to hate UC2 on high difficulty at least as much as I did, and boy did I end up cursing myself while I played through UC3 because it was just so much worse for me as a game. All in all I have a very negative overall picture of the Uncharted series and people who name this as their favorite series, I doubt UC4 can save this series for me, but I hope at least it can make up for all the rage I had with the trilogy.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone so far for your replies.

1 hour ago, DarthMagnus0605 said:

I'll let you know what I thought of it.

Looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, groomyboy said:

It was like a beginners guide of how to gamebreak and speedrun lol.

It really was. :D

even as a mediocre player I found it incredibly easy on crushing

For me, it wasn't "incredibly easy", but it was definitely doable and I didn't really have issues with it. It was absolutely easier than Crushing in U1 though, in part due to the better checkpoints you mentioned.

27 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

mainly the jeep chase and some of the bigger firefights.

The jeep chase is absolute RNG hell on Crushing, let alone Brutal. Just ridiculous.

UC2 made me mad, really mad, crushing without tweaks was a slog, especially the train chapters, the monastery, and that goddamn tank battle

For me, The Monastery is the worst chapter in the series so far. It's so damn long, feels a bit out of place pacingwise, and has so many damn fire fights, some of them even with near-infinite enemy spawns if you don't rush it.

I liked a fair bit of UC2, story was better for me than the others, characters, some of the levels, the fact that it felt like it improved some mechanics. I would have considered it to be a somewhat decent game if it wasn't for crushing and brutal.

I liked U2 way more than the first one, but yeah, the difficulties ruin it.

My most sincere advice for you, if you are as dumb as me and also decide to suffer through this game because you are a stubborn bastard who wants to finish this series, is to definitely play it on hard to get the tweaks, then play crushing with tweaks, then brutal.

The entire last bit of your post was an absolute joy to read. I felt your suffering. Unfortunately, it also triggered the stubborn bastard in me and I can feel the urge creeping up to play U3 soon ... there is something about this series, that makes you want playing it, even if you know it will just be torturing yourself.

But the quote brings me to my initial question, does the tweak glitch work on the digital v1.02? Some say yes, some say no. I don't want to play through Hard just to find out it doesn't work.

One good thing though, the speedrun on UC3 was noticeably more forgiving than UC2, and some of the skips can make this a damn near guaranteed success even if you usually have trouble with these kind of things.

That's good to know. So far, I only found skips that involve a weird forward jump or airwalks, I can't pull that stuff off. Is it still doable without skips?

All in all I have a very negative overall picture of the Uncharted series and people who name this as their favorite series

I never understood the hype around the Uncharted series as well as The Last of Us. I thought it was just because I hadn't play them to experience them the way they are meant to be experienced. After the first two games, I still don't understand it. But, everyone can like what they want of course. It's just not for me. TLOU looks so boring to me, but I will play it eventually to see for myself. I'm sure there are enough people who would slam me for naming UFC 3 as one of my favorite games of all time, so I don't judge others (although I don't understand them).

I doubt UC4 can save this series for me, but I hope at least it can make up for all the rage I had with the trilogy.

The DLC trophies with the survival stuff are really putting me off, but I won't look further into U4 until I have completed U3.

Edited by Infernopommes
  • Like 1

To answer your first question yes u can tweak glitch if u have physical or do that thing to remove patches

Second u get Abit of wiggle room but u need to keep moving it really helps to know your way around so u can get from point a to point b asap

It's rough going but far from impossible I suck at hard modes and I did all 3 of these games Platinum twice 1 on my account and 1 on a dummy just to see if I could pull it off

To answer your first question. From my knowledge yes, you can use the tweak glitch after finishing hard to make crushing (then Brutal later) easier even on the latest patch (from what I've been told since when I played the game I never let it update until I finished Brutal in all 3 games).

You could still use the tweak glitch on U2 but for that, you'll have to remove the game then install it while preventing it from downloading the latest patch (if Physical then simply play the disk without letting the patch install, if Digital then you'll have to use a Proxy to make the PS4 only download the Base game without the patch).

From my experience, U3 is a lot easier compared to the first two although it does have a few parts that can get annoying mainly because the checkpoint in those parts are really far apart (like you have to go through 3/4 enemies waves of enemies to reach the next one) but to me, it wasn't as rage-inducing as U1 and U2. For the speedrun, I got it on my first try without any skips and it was the first time I played U3 (only played the first two on PS3).

23 minutes ago, Infernopommes said:

I should have been clearer about that, I have the digital v1.02 from PS+. I edited it in my start post.

Thanks for the input!

They have a thing on here that tells u how to revert digital games to pre patch but like the person above said it may still work even with the patch

37 minutes ago, Infernopommes said:

The entire last bit of your post was an absolute joy to read. I felt your suffering. Unfortunately, it also triggered the stubborn bastard in me and I can feel the urge creeping up to play U3 soon ... there is something about this series, that makes you want playing it, even if you know it will just be torturing yourself.

But the quote brings me to my initial question, does the tweak glitch work on the digital v1.02? Some say yes, some say no. I don't want to play through Hard just to find out it doesn't work.

I get it and I was expecting as much, most people who force themselves through 2 games of a series will also do the third out of principle, but I reckon you will curse that mentality of yours during the playthroughs of UC3, just like I did. Regarding the tweaks, I have the patched Nathan Drake collection in digital form, I could not do the tweaks in UC2 with this because these scumbags fixed them, but they did not fix them in UC3, for me they still worked fine, believe me I wouldn't have gotten the brutal trophy otherwise after that crushing playthrough.

39 minutes ago, Infernopommes said:

That's good to know. So far, I only found skips that involve a weird forward jump or airwalks, I can't pull that stuff off. Is it still doable without skips?

I did it with maybe 2-3 skips, none of them had advanced stuff like airwalking, the timing is pretty forgiving if you follow a speedrunner video that does not contain massive out of bonds skips, I had a ton of time left and I dislike speedruns almost as much as ironman runs, so naturally I am not all that efficient at them.

41 minutes ago, Infernopommes said:

I never understood the hype around the Uncharted series as well as The Last of Us. I thought it was just because I hadn't play them to experience them the way they are meant to be experienced. After the first two games, I still don't understand it. But, everyone can like what they want of course. It's just not for me. TLOU looks so boring to me, but I will play it eventually to see for myself. I'm sure there are enough people who would slam me for naming UFC 3 as one of my favorite games of all time, so I don't judge others (although I don't understand them).

TLOU was the first game I ever played on Ps4 and it remains one of my favorites. The story and characters are leagues above Uncharted if you ask me, shit feels much less unfair even on high difficulty, you have more ways to approach fights than just shooting weapons and the occasional stealth kill, and enemies are much more varied. You gotta have to be into that sort of gloomy and slowly developing story though, otherwise you might end up a bit let down, and if you do not like the characters the game will have an uphill battle to get your approval, because they are the main focus. I really hope UC4 if more like TLOU, and less like the first UC games.

46 minutes ago, Infernopommes said:

The DLC trophies with the survival stuff are really putting me off, but I won't look further into U4 until I have completed U3.

They are bound to be troublesome for sure, even people who got brutal difficulty trophies decide its too much for them, the rarity certainly reflects that. It can be done alone though, and supposedly it is pretty managable with one or two other dedicated players. I doubt this will break the neck of my completion given all the shit I did so far, especially if I actually end up liking Uncharted 4. I will need a Nathan Drake free month after finishing the last brutal run though, otherwise my experience with UC4 is dead in the water before it even began, and that would suck, I wanna give the game a fair chance.

• Like 1

I did the hardest difficulties in all 4 games without tweaks, to test myself and the game's design, but I messed around with tweaks afterwards, and it's been some years since.

1. Yes. However, U2 has it patched (which there's a work around for), and U3 possibly did the same.

2. Don't remember, but U2 and U4 required more effort from me than the others.

Edited by EcoShifter

You know, I did a rant post a long time ago about Uncharted having bullshit level design when it comes to harder difficulties. I then realized that the games don't deserve to be hated, the trash difficulty, on the other hand, does. So that's why if you want to truely enjoy U3, I recommend playing it on normal. Forget trophy hunting for a moment. Don't let it blind you. Enjoy the story, the characters, the music. After that, take your time on doing the Crushing and Brutal playthrough if you want. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nombre_en_uso867 said:

I then realized that the games don't deserve to be hated, the trash difficulty, on the other hand, does.

Right, I think this is an important distinction and it's easy to mistake the hate towards the difficulty with hate towards the game.

So that's why if you want to truely enjoy U3, I recommend playing it on normal. Forget trophy hunting for a moment. Don't let it blind you. Enjoy the story, the characters, the music. After that, take your time on doing the Crushing and Brutal playthrough if you want.

That is honestly great advice and would be the rational approach.

Needless to say, rationality doesn't work here.

Today, I dreamed AGAIN about playing Uncharted, after being spared from that ever since I started U2.

So now I started a playthrough of U3 on Hard. Pray for me brothers.

So far, it's enjoyable! I even kinda regret not starting directly on Crushing, but I heard the difficulty really spikes in later chapters, so we'll see.

• Like 1

I personally feel it's unfair to judge the UC series based on the inclusion of the brutal difficulty, considering Blue Point added it in with the remastered collection. Crushing has the right balance of challening encounters and making you feel like you accomplished something when you finally get through it, and I think that was how Naughty Dog intended the game to be played. 

That said, brutal is a broken mess in all 3 games of the collection, and I question whether or not it was play tested before being added. UC1 and UC2 are definitely more frustrating without glitches or tweaks. UC1 - Water room, without bugging the spawn. UC2 - Entire train section, but especially the second half when the game decides to spawn you right in the line of enemy fire. UC3 has a more defined stealth system, making a lot of the encounters manageable. 

Sometimes we all just get caught up in the hunt, that we don't realize just how great some games can be.

Finally done on Hard. I was stuck several times and often lost motivation to continue playing. It was more difficult than U2 on Crushing.

Some situations were annoying enough as they were on Hard, I can only imagine what a nightmare Crushing will be, let alone Brutal. Not sure if I even do it, will do the tweak glitch though just to one shot some of those guys.

The last chapter is way too long compared to previous games and makes the YOLO trophy unattractive as hell. Even if you get through all the combats, there is still that jumping section. Ugh.

Overall the worst game in the series for me so far.

EDIT: Just to say one positive thing, the treasues weren't as bad as previous games. Didn't use a guide for the first playthrough and managed to get 46, that's more than I got in U2 the first time.

Edited by Infernopommes

Finally finished Crushing yesterday after only playing 1-2 chapters a day for some time, because I simply couldn't bother. Then I started Brutal and played the first eleven chapters until 2.30am. I wanted to take it slow again with that dreadful chapter 12, but today I powered through and just finished it. The reason for why I found the motivation to finish it now, is that Sony released Knack 2 for free in Germany and I want to play that as a reward for completing U3. If you know Knack (BABEEE), that should tell you everything.

Only the Speedrun and some misc. trophies to go.

This is the worst game in the series so far for me. Throwing back grenades is a cool feature and it's good that they added it, but almost everything else is a considerable downgrade from the gameplay of the previous games.

Speedrun completed. If anyone in the future is wondering the same thing I was at the beginning of this thread, I can confirm that this is by far the easiest speedrun in terms of staying below the needed time (also the most frustrating one because some enemies/sequences are just ugh). I got it in ~3h22, using some skips that are absolutely not necessary, but help you with spending less time on this awful game. Without the skips, I would have probably ended up with a time around 3h45ish.

Edited by Infernopommes

• 4 months later...

U2 on Crushing was enjoyable for me without tweaks, except for three spots that absolutely drove my blood pressure up: the train boss, the monastery part that has two armored guys with rotary machine guns, a rocket launcher, plus minor enemies, and the final boss. I was dreading the tank part, but it turned out pretty doable. I don't know if I want to do Brutal though. I tried for a bit and Borneo proved too annoying already. 

Doing U3 on Crushing without tweaks right now and it's alright. I do have an issue with controls being wonky more than any other Uncharted game, but the difficulty is fine so far (I'm about 60% in).

Edited by papert0wng1rl

Yes, you can do everything you described. The tweak glitch works on the most recent digital version of U1 and U3, but are done in a slightly different way in each. The glitch does not work in U2 for some reason. Just look around for the thread on this site that goes into detail on how do to the glitch on 1 and 3.

Edited by StrangeGuy_3000