"Downwell" the game I love to hate!

r-mercer91

First of all, I absolutely love this game. How simple it seems, then how in depth everything actually interacts. All the way down to getting well, down the well lol.

I have only managed to succeed and beat the final boss ONCE!!! ?

JUST SOME POINTERS?

I am very familiar with the game, it's just really hard..

Going thru hard, is there a superior pair of gun boots?

Edited by r-mercer91

I don't get what you mean by a superior pair of gun boots, since you just switch the type of gun with the modules, but the way to beat hard mode is to play on the mode that gives more upgrade rooms. Just pick up every single one to increase your ammo and health. The reverse engineering power up also helps to switch the modules to either switch the type of blaster you get or switch the ammo to health. Knife and fork is also very useful if you make it a thing to walk over all the dead bodies you see. With all that, it really does just boil down to playing well. The more I played, I found myself doing the first area without taking damage, and the second with only 1 or 2 hits, etc. Combos are also a thing to keep in mind, since getting at least a 25(?) combo gives you +1 health and ammo. Good luck!

Edited by Crazy

You'll find plenty of tips in the forums about this game already. That being said, Hard Mode is a completely different game, and you will lose most of you runs to the catacombs. 

Armspin Style is definitely the way to go, and if you are having a hard time then you should try to get Knife & Fork as early as possible. Try to get everything gem-related as well (attracktor, charger, etc...) over the course of your run. 

In my successful run, I got Knife & Fork after 1-1 and I was playing without much caution, which resulted in many unnecessary hits and didn't allow me to really build up a large HP pool.. But it didn't matter... Thanks to K&F and Armspin Style I was at least getting my health back consistently. 

Made it to the boss with 'only' 5 max HP, but the boss isn't that hard. The hard part is getting there in the first place. ?

• Like 1

I've just seen this thread and even some years after I platted it I still want to say that this is one of my alltime favourite games. Had so much fun with it, I even platted it on another account in about 4 hours :D

Still rooting for a 2nd part somewhen.

On 4/6/2020 at 3:43 AM, Arcesius said:

You'll find plenty of tips in the forums about this game already. That being said, Hard Mode is a completely different game, and you will lose most of you runs to the catacombs. 

Armspin Style is definitely the way to go, and if you are having a hard time then you should try to get Knife & Fork as early as possible. Try to get everything gem-related as well (attracktor, charger, etc...) over the course of your run. 

In my successful run, I got Knife & Fork after 1-1 and I was playing without much caution, which resulted in many unnecessary hits and didn't allow me to really build up a large HP pool.. But it didn't matter... Thanks to K&F and Armspin Style I was at least getting my health back consistently. 

Made it to the boss with 'only' 5 max HP, but the boss isn't that hard. The hard part is getting there in the first place. 1f642.png

Yeah I know there are other posts, they just tell me stuff I already knew.. but will definitely try Armspin style for sure! Thanks!

The game takes a lot of practice on Hard mode.

Knife and Fork upgrade is important to get early. I've purposely ended runs because I've gone as far as the fourth area in the game without a Knife and Fork upgrade. Getting a certain amount of 'healing' HP or getting the Apple or buying health items at the store will increase your max HP which is important for the boss.

I typically think the third area is much easier than the second. You got squids that are good for consuming and you don't fall through as quickly. In the second area you got a bunch of hazards such as spikes popping in and out and those big skulls that go berserk if you accidentally hit them once.

The boss isn't entirely easy either, because the pressure will be against you to beat him since you have to start from the very beginning if you die.

Definitely a fun little indie game, but pretty annoying at times due to the sheer RNG.

I finally got my first win on Normal last night! And damn, is Hard mode.... HARD!! I managed to make it down to the 4th area on my 3rd try, so it is definitely doable. I agree with AJ that Knife & Fork is a must as early as possible. I'm also in agreement that Armspin is the way to go, thanks to plenty of ammo and health upgrades! The Catacombs is what will make or break you; once you get past that, the rest is still a challenge but manageable, pending RNG is on your side. Good luck! I know I'm going to need it anyway ?

3 hours ago, integra_93GS-R said:

I finally got my first win on Normal last night! And damn, is Hard mode.... HARD!! I managed to make it down to the 4th area on my 3rd try, so it is definitely doable. I agree with AJ that Knife & Fork is a must as early as possible. I'm also in agreement that Armspin is the way to go, thanks to plenty of ammo and health upgrades! The Catacombs is what will make or break you; once you get past that, the rest is still a challenge but manageable, pending RNG is on your side. Good luck! I know I'm going to need it anyway 1f601.png

Go for it. It's a good platinum to have.

• Like 1