Final thoughts of the game and it's difficulty

t-i-g-o

Hello everyone, today I am about to finish my 2nd playthrough for the platinum and hardcore mode and I have a total time of almost 200 in-game hours.

I have been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance for the past 3 weeks and I would like to give you my opinion about it's difficulty.

First of all, I don't know how the author of the trophy guide rated it 5/10, there's nooooo way the game is that easy! It's at least 7/10, if not more.

For me there are 4 important points that make this game far more harder than it looks and very frustrating/depressing:

1st -  Kingdom Come: Deliverance has incredible and unique features, specially the fighthing, which makes it hard to adapt. You are weak, at least for a while. You go on a road, pass through some brigands, fall from the horse and you're basically dead if you don't have good armor or if you're not skilled enough. You jump a small distance and your character might fall and start bleeding, which causes death easily, the fall damage is ridiculous. Not to talk about that you lose all progress and load on the previous save. I've lost probably more than 30 or 40 hours of progress by forgetting to save or sleep.

2nd - The game is huge, the quests take a ton of time and the cutscenes are, by far, the most time-consuming I've seen in my entire life. This is not a bad thing, yet for many people, it's hard to play a game so many hours without getting bored. It really gets monotonous once in a while, specially if you aren't allowed to use the fast travel like in the hardcore mode. The plot is amazing, but not everyone likes medieval middle-age 15th century games, that I can assure you.

3rd - Adding to this, the worst of all, which are the crashes and bugs, the game crashes and doesn't load all the time! My game has crashed on cutscenes, where I lost many hours of in-game progress. My game has crashed while trying sleep, making me lose even more progress for not being able to save in time. The bugs, oh man, NPCs, quotes and trading do not load decently, same with the entire view of the game sometimes, it's insane how a game of this caliber can be so slow...

4th - It's trophies. They really meant to make us struggle with these achievements, I mean, some of them are so annoying that can make you stop playing for a while. Some are missable and some are grindy. You have many tricky missable trophies, where you can screw up your entire playthrough for not doing following the right path, that's really frustating. The no-kill trophy is also one of the more deppressing ones, being on the 15th century and not being able to kill everyone is by far, much boring than you ever realized. The grind trophies are not that hard, but they take time of course, specially the one about visiting the shrines/crosses or collecting 10,000 herbs.

In conclusion, the game really plays and puts everything against you, specially in hardcore mode.

It has been one of the most frustating platinums I've seen. Anyways, I really enjoyed the game and I'm glad I bought it on sale.

Hope you understand my points of view, comment if you too struggled with this game!

Edited by t-i-g-o
  • Like 3

Most of your points make the game longer, not necessarily harder. I think a 5/10 is fair, but I can see how some people might struggle with the combat and Hardcore Mode (which I don't think is required for the platinum). The problem is that clinches are broken in this game. Once you have the right perks, you can just force enemies into a clinch, win, and attack them while they're trying to recover.

The no-kill trophy has no business being in a game like this. I don't know what the devs were thinking. Imagine playing through Skyrim without killing anyone.

The story is great. I don't usually like a lot of cutscenes or dialogue in my games, but I took the time to listen to almost everybody. The only part of the game I could've done without is the Monastery questline. I like the concept, but the execution needed some work. Having to stand around for an hour in real time and then reload your save if you mess something up (often for something as stupid as sticking your toe in the grass) was tedious, to say the least.

The shrines take forever. You definitely want a map next to you that you can mark off as you find them. The 10k herbs isn't too bad, since you eventually gain the ability to collect every plant in a nearby radius. Plus, herbs are your best source of income in the early game. You should have that trophy long before you finish the main campaign.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

Well yeah, apparently Kingdom Come's gimmick was supposed to be its realism, and from what I understand fall damage in real life is ridiculous.

I mean, I get that the character has heavy armor and it's realism, but jumping some centimeters and breaking both legs? It's a bit overwhelming.

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Most of your points make the game longer, not necessarily harder. I think a 5/10 is fair, but I can see how some people might struggle with the combat and Hardcore Mode (which I don't think is required for the platinum). The problem is that clinches are broken in this game. Once you have the right perks, you can just force enemies into a clinch, win, and attack them while they're trying to recover.

The no-kill trophy has no business being in a game like this. I don't know what the devs were thinking. Imagine playing through Skyrim without killing anyone.

The story is great. I don't usually like a lot of cutscenes or dialogue in my games, but I took the time to listen to almost everybody. The only part of the game I could've done without is the Monastery questline. I like the concept, but the execution needed some work. Having to stand around for an hour in real time and then reload your save if you mess something up (often for something as stupid as sticking your toe in the grass) was tedious, to say the least.

The shrines take forever. You definitely want a map next to you that you can mark off as you find them. The 10k herbs isn't too bad, since you eventually gain the ability to collect every plant in a nearby radius. Plus, herbs are your best source of income in the early game. You should have that trophy long before you finish the main campaign.

Well, the game is really that frustrating and tedious in some parts, and the bugs and crashes make you lose all the will of playing it. It happened to me several times when I was about to save and the game crashed. I felt really enraged, so I would change game and I would play some Call of Duty to chill out. Maybe you're right that it's fair a 5/10, but I think it could be a little higher.

The no-kill trophy is just ridiculous, specially in hardcore like I did. Having to do the siege in Talmberg, where Capon and Bernard get surrounded by 5-6 enemies and you can only get their attention with your fists takes so long. In this game environment, this trophy is absolute non-sense like you said (Good anology with Skyrim though).

I agree with you in that part, the Monastery was the most boring thing, but it has it's essence. I was caught several times just by walking out of the room, when I was just going for the next step on the quest, ugh.

About the Shrines trophy, the guide didn't mention anything about the need of having to interact with them (I created a topic talking about this), which means I had to visit all of them twice, so, more tedious stuff. The herbs, I found an exploit and got them in 15 minutes, not a big problem, it was a place fully crowded with dandelions just north of Rattay.

Edited by t-i-g-o