Any good?

MMDE

After I bought it, I actually tried it a bit before I finally played it on my own account. First impression isn't the best, especially until you realize it's a bit tongue and cheek. Quite a bit like The Bard's Tale, or so I hope, because the story, the characters and the voice acting, is all totally wacky otherwise. Thinking it was intentionally goofy made me appreciate it quite a bit. The gameplay is all over the place. It's actually mostly enjoyable, and my only gripe being how repetitive it felt when I went for the hunt quests near the end. You get to explore a rather big world, with many small cities, with some people in them that needs help. You don't need to do side quests, and they're mostly the same kill, collect, fetch quests, with some few more unique ones like the artist. I really liked the artist quests. :) As follow the story and explore the world, you'll fight some bosses and progress in the story. You'll also get some upgrades to your character, and unlock more abilities. The game actually have some platforming, and that was easily the worst part of the game. It's completely ruined by input latency for jumping. Sometimes you may jump almost a second later, other times you'll jump almost instantly. Imagine such latency when jumping from a small platform to the next repeatedly. It's doable, but that stuff was awful. The battle system on the other was more interesting. Nothing amazing, but it was kind of third person behind the shoulder, but at the same time a bit "grid" like, where you and enemies could (usually) move between different areas, and you'd hit the closest enemies easier. Further away required magic or something like that. When enemies attacked, you could dodge or hold your shield up. Dodging allowed for attack bonus while dodging. When you could move to the side, enemies would spend so much time on it, so that it could be abused to just get free hits and never get hit yourself. There was quite enough to upgrade, and you got various spells and summons etc. It was varied enough and the upgrades wasn't strictly necessary, but felt very useful at the same time. Even in fights, the game had some input latency, but wasn't generally a big issue. I played entire thing on hardest difficulty (required for a trophy), but never died, so not a big issue. One thing I haven't mentioned is all the chests everywhere. They're EVERYWHERE, and I swear some of them respawn. There's a limited amount of keys. Some of the gold chests may contain equipment. I have no idea if it's random what you get, but not all gold chests contain items. Seems to be hard to get to gold chests that contain some good stuff.

I hear the game had a glitched trophy initially, but, as reported by a lot of other people, that trophy popped way too early for me now. I think it just works so that once you do the third boss, it will pop after next quest you finish. Speaking of technical issues, the game had some serious screen tearing from time to time, but it never crashed on me.

Despite all the technical issues, I honestly quite enjoyed the game, and would recommend it to anyone who's interested in games like this. It's nothing mindblowing, it's just a good time, for as long as it lasts. It takes like 5-10 hours. Like 2-3/10 difficulty.

Here's a playlist with a complete 100% playthrough I did:

Most of the hunts happens near the end of the 8 hours video, in case you need help with finding any of the marks.

Don't be an amateur like me though. I was manually searching everywhere for marks and quest items etc. Most of the time you can press the touch pad button to get a golden "quest path", leading you where you need to go. I wish I knew that before I spent hours extra on chasing down specific monsters required for the platinum.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...