Is Doom Eternal the best Doom ever made?

Gadrak

No. It certainly has its high points, but it also has its detractors. The story, soundtrack, and combat are excellent, and I would say that they are the best DOOM has been. On the other hand though, the levels were too long, and the platforming aspects broke the rhythm of the game, which hold it back for me personally. I would say that is basically tied with DOOM 2016 in quality, but each have different aspects that they excel in. This is all just personal opinion, but I hope I explained it well enough to convey my thoughts on the matter. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gadrak said:

What do you guys think?

What do YOU think, thread starter? You should kick us off with your thoughts.

I started my FPS games playing Wolfenstein on floppies that one of my cronies gave to me when it first came out. I had heard of Doom when it came out, but my cronies were more into Quake when that came out so we played that instead for our MP endeavors. When Unreal Tournament came out, that was the first FPS I actually enjoyed. It wasn't until Doom III was coming out that I finally went back and played Doom and Doom II. I finally played Doom III about 6 months after it came out when one of my cronies upgraded his computer enough to actually play it. I played Doom 2016 over a relatives house last year, but haven't played Doom Eternal. What I did learn is that I didn't enjoy any of the Doom games, just not for me.

Judging by my experience of all previous experiences, I'll go with: Sure. Why not? They're all equal so they're all the best Dooms ever made.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 4

DE may be the most visually advanced Doom so far, but I don't feel that any of the other titles in the franchise can compare to the delight I felt as a teenager playing Doom with friends on my 36.6k dial-up connection.

• Like 1

DOOM is certainly a series that has retain its reputation despite being 27 years old, mainly because they didn't milk the franchise to death. While its safe to say that DOOM 3 is the weakest of the series, it didn't hurt it as bad bad as other series did mistakes (Like AC Unity, Dead Space 3 or CoD Infinite Warfare for example).  

But as for your question, is DOOM Eternal the best game in the series? While its definitely a 'celebration' of the franchise in general, especially to 1994 DOOM II, its still not the best. Heck I find DOOM 2016 still better because it retains alot of the originals series like the linear level game-play and more straight forward combat. DOOM Eternal has thrown so much to the player that alot of its aspects are from other genres like RPG's, Open World and platforming games that dissolves the feel of the combat (if you know what I'm saying).

Of course I'm not saying DOOM Eternal is a bad game, its a fun challenging game and one of the best in the series, but not the best. Sometimes its true what they say, more isn't better.

• Like 3

Not for me. I'm struggling to enjoy Doom Eternal. Still on lvl 2 and I've had it since launch day. I never played Doom 2016.

By contrast, I've completed Doom 1 and 2 in the past 12 months and loved them both.

The older style Dooms have a style of combat that's more logical to me, helped by the flatter environments. In Doom Eternal I hate being punished for not charging around like a madman. You didn't have to do this in the older ones; you could approach every room slowly (if you chose to) and in a multitude of different ways.

• Like 2

Define best.  Visually appealing, yes.  I love the glory kills and the chainsaw (Although those were introduced in 2016).  Most advanced story; probably.  2016 had a lot to it as well.  

But the series is where it is because of what got it going back in 1993.  If it wasn't for the originals, the series wouldn't exist today.  

I still think the original Doom is the best.  And I like 2016 more than this one, personally.  I liked the Giant Mastermind spider from the 3rd episode rather than his little cronies in this game and the giant titan in this one.  They keep adding to it, and while it is fun.  The fact that I can toss an ice bomb, light everything on fire then chuck 2 grenades into the ground feels a little less doom and a little more Halo style to me.

I'd say you can't compare DOOM Eternal to the originals cause the originals are made for fun and the reboots are made for money. Only reason DOOM is where it is today is because of the controversy it caused in the 90's through columbine otherwise it'd be another Blake stone or Rise of the triad. All of these titles are respectfully good in their own way and far superior than the majority of games made today that recieve high praise.

Even Wolfenstein was dead until RTCW and that had a hard time because it was competing with medal of honor and Ghost Recon.

I give credit where it's due though & these new DOOM games are beautiful in the visuals and have amazing soundtracks. The Gunplay is very repetitive but entertaining. Eternal has the superior campaign because the mission flow isn't just enter room hit switch kill mobs rinse repeat like 2016 it also has the return of the cyberdemon though they changed it's name. The fan service is fun at times but for repeat playthroughs it's unnecessary.

2016 still wins over Eternal imo though for having an amazing map editor and actual PVP with different modes and options. To each their own. You like what you like. 

Definitely not for me. Doom 2016 is probably the best single player experience in a FPS ever made. Doom Eternal is a let down for various reasons.

Firstly, as someone else stated, the levels are just far too big. I only played one level at a time, because by the end of each level, I have struggling to go on. Secondly, there is far too much platforming, and I hate platformers. Thirdly, the pace of the game is completely thrown off by certain enemies, such as the Marauder.

Unlike Doom 2016, you can't play this game the way you want to play it. You MUST play it a very specific way. You MUST run and gun. The limited ammo system basically forces you to constantly keep on moving. The random fodder enemies serve one purpose, and that's to be mobile ammo pickups. This is added by the fact that there are always 30 enemies on you at once. But then, they introduce an enemy type, the Marauder, who completely violates this entire gameplay style. You MUST stop. You MUST play the game the exact opposite of how the rest of the game must be played.

• Like 2

It's definitely an upgrade to DOOM 2016 in terms of graphics, content, sound and gameplay mechanics. I don't feel the complaints about the platforming, I didn't find it hard so I can't call it annoying... I think it's a good addition that diversifies the general gameplay. As for the ACTUAL gameplay, I'd say... eh. This "arena" type structure isn't really balanced for consoles and no I won't change my button layout as some say on the internet. They forced a Quake-style gameplay that just isn't fair for controller users. You have to pay attention to your CD's, map, ammo, enemies, move around all the time and cycle through weapons to get weak points otherwise enemies become bullet sponges. Too many limitations and forced mechanics make the game frustrating and tedious. I did get the hang of it around midway through but still, it was exhausting. I even put the easiest difficulty on at some point (first time I'm doing this after 2 generations of consoles) just because the hassle was too big. DOOM is a game about running around and having fun killing demons, not a story driven or mechanically deep action game.. There's literally nothing to look forward to, thus not worth the effort.

Ugghhh they ruined the multiplayer imo.  I loved the 2016 multiplayer.  It was the main reason I wanted to buy Doom eternal.  I didn't realize the new mode was going to completely replace the traditional multiplayer.  Doom isn't the most fun for me.  I haven't even felt like finishing it yet and I usually finish everything quickly.  I think bethesda is one of my least favorite companies for whatever reason I don't like much of anything they do besides the doom multiplayer and to some extent the Wolfensteins.  hate platforming in these types of games.  Platforming is more for arcadesy 8 bit style graphic games.  The more realistic the AI the worse platforming is to me.    I should have went by my 1st gut feeling and passed on Eternal.

• Like 1

one of the best games ive ever played, i dont think there's a better single player shooter on the market today, 10/10, its the kind of game that will move the industry forward

also, it somehow makes doom 2016 look average by comparison

Edited by Grample_Gust

I think, like many others have said, the platforming was a big let down for me and as much as i love the game it isn't quite a 10/10 or best in series. It has great moments in it,

Spoiler

Flashback scene being my favourite confirming doomguy is doomslayer 

As an overall experience i think 2016 is better. Better multiplayer, the need to earn upgrades and less frustrating platforming. Eternal does the combat a lot better and the returning/new enemies that weren't in 2016 gave it a lot more variety and ensured it didn't feel like cut content from 2016. 

DOOM 2 for me is the best in series. It gave us the SSG, archvile, mancubus, revenant, aracnotron and hell knights. It used what was sooo good in 1993 and somehow made it even better. Also the fact it took 23 years for someone to discover how to obtain the final secret in the game is to me, mindblowing. It's nightmare mode was made to never be beaten, a joke if you like. Now it's being speedran in 21 mins!

Eternal is an awesome celebration of the series, no doubt. Genre redefining? Yes, 100%. I have the platinum planned to be my 5000th trophy

9/10 for me

On 4/6/2020 at 9:54 AM, Pershing24 said:

DOOM is certainly a series that has retain its reputation despite being 27 years old, mainly because they didn't milk the franchise to death. While its safe to say that DOOM 3 is the weakest of the series, it didn't hurt it as bad bad as other series did mistakes (Like AC Unity, Dead Space 3 or CoD Infinite Warfare for example).  

But as for your question, is DOOM Eternal the best game in the series? While its definitely a 'celebration' of the franchise in general, especially to 1994 DOOM II, its still not the best. Heck I find DOOM 2016 still better because it retains alot of the originals series like the linear level game-play and more straight forward combat. DOOM Eternal has thrown so much to the player that alot of its aspects are from other genres like RPG's, Open World and platforming games that dissolves the feel of the combat (if you know what I'm saying).

Of course I'm not saying DOOM Eternal is a bad game, its a fun challenging game and one of the best in the series, but not the best. Sometimes its true what they say, more isn't better.

Dead Space is different from Assassins Creed and Call of Duty. EA basically came in and supposedly told Viscereal Games to change their format to make the series into a co-op shooter, eliminating much of the survival horror that made the first two games fantastic.

Dead Space 2's Hardcore difficulty is still one of the most captivating and thrilling experiences I've played.

They didn't milk Dead Space, because compared to Assassins Creed and Call of Duty there's only a handful of games. They basically changed the entire format to something else, and even visual changes like the way Isaac Clarke looked got a lot of scrutiny.

Changing the format like that is a good reason why people still hate Jak 2, while countless fans (myself included) loved the original Jak and Daxter.

Both Assassins Creed and Call of Duty have been milked so much at this point they are nothing like they originally were. Assassins Creed became a looter type of open world game, they destroyed their own present day story and Ubisoft hardly cares about the Assassin and Templar struggle anymore. The games play completely different from the older games (original, II and Brotherhood) and they're not faithful to what the developers originally intended to have the series be. Call of Duty comes out with a new game every single year, it's the same crap over and over and you can basically 'resell' a game if you remake your old ones (Modern Warfare 1 & 2 respectively).

DOOM I will give credit for because it's still faithful to the old games so many years ago. The story was never the focus, it was all about killing monsters and demonic creatures in fun ways and that's what the franchise has always been. Granted the newer DOOM games from 2016 forward have tried to implement a story, but I see it as basically flavor text and it doesn't play a vital role in comparison to the reboot Wolfenstein games, where the story does matter because they're taking from history and throwing in their own twist in an alternate timeline.

DOOM has retained it's reputation. Dead Space, Assassins Creed and Call of Duty killed their reputation, much like Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Like 1