Is it me or is this terrible?

GUDGER666

Even though i think it has bad issues i still can't stop playing it. The problem is the swing is way too sensitive, it's like it has a -10 deadzone. And nobodies controller or hands are the same so for some or a lot it will be almost impossible to do a perfect swing, every controller I've had has slightly different deadzones and the more you use it the more it changes. Not having a click system is just ridiculous.

I've found that where it says the ball will land is never right, like say 160 to the hole, club takes you 162, no wind.. put more height on the shot so it lands in front of the hole and rolls towards it..... Hits shot ball lands 15 yards past the hole. If you land in the first cut or rough, where it says the ball will land is actually about 20 yards back. 

The wind is broken, 0 wind yet it acts like its about +6, and +6 acts like its +20.  And putting is very inconsistent. I can tell why a lot are using rubberbands and zip ties

Edited by GUDGER666

I’m an avid golfer and I’m compelled to say the swing, short game and putting mechanics are the best and most realistic in any golf game I’ve ever played. The realism and detail in the actual courses is absolutely phenomenal and some of the fantasy player designed courses are awesome as well. The lack of usable pga tour players in the game is probably my only gripe. It’s just not as easy game, the putting takes some getting used to, but once you figure it out it’s brilliant. I love and miss the Tiger games, love the hot shots series but as a pure golf simulator this is top notch and as good as it gets. 

• Like 1

This is the strangest sports game I ever played.  Downloaded on PS Now.  I've played Tiger Woods games for 20 years since I was a kid.   I shot -13 in my first career round and then +4 the next round.  Short and medium putting isn't too bad but I have no idea what to expect with long Putts or chips. They are always way short.   Distance is impossible to get right with approach shots.  Driving is super easy and long irons.  It makes no sense.  Incredibly inconsistent even after doing the tutorials.   I don't know if I'm going to keep going or not. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, neahcrow said:

Distance is impossible to get right with approach shots.  

Yea it's very bad. I don't know whether the wind is broken or the distance numbers are wrong. I've just done a par 3... Distance 180. Club will take me 180... 0 wind. I hit the ball and it went 190+ straight into the bunker. Makes no sense. A few holes before, another par 3, wind +8 towards me, club takes me +2 past the hole, i out more height on the shot to be safe... Ball flies way past the hole. Kills the enjoyment. 

1 hour ago, GUDGER666 said:

Yea it's very bad. I don't know whether the wind is broken or the distance numbers are wrong. I've just done a par 3... Distance 180. Club will take me 180... 0 wind. I hit the ball and it went 190+ straight into the bunker. Makes no sense. A few holes before, another par 3, wind +8 towards me, club takes me +2 past the hole, i out more height on the shot to be safe... Ball flies way past the hole. Kills the enjoyment. 

I agree I think it's the wind.  I shot -13 and got the trophy for breaking the record at Scottsdale on my very first round with no wind.   Next round I shot +4 there was a 5 mph wind.  I compensated with direction and loft but it never seemed right.  I watched the tutorials but any putt over 20 ft or chip is way short doing the same thing i do on other shots.  Maybe that's something I needed to learn but I just deleted the game.  It's a shame because I've been looking forward to a golf game for awhile but I can't handle a very frustrating game right now with current stress.   Was looking for something more relaxing. 

Maybe the Tiger Woods games were too easy but I remember in the early '00s setting up the perfect shot considering wind and elevation and it was very satisfying executing it. I grew up in the 90s before analog sticks took over sports games and they aren't my strength.  I hate having to control the shot so much with the worn out sticks on my controller.  

I thought this article was an observant write up on some of the frustrations:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/3/17813524/the-golf-club-2019-impressions-xbox-one

It's bad when it feels like GTAV has better controls and physics than a simulation golf game

Edited by neahcrow
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 9:14 PM, neahcrow said:

I agree I think it's the wind.  I shot -13 and got the trophy for breaking the record at Scottsdale on my very first round with no wind.   Next round I shot +4 there was a 5 mph wind.  I compensated with direction and loft but it never seemed right.  I watched the tutorials but any putt over 20 ft or chip is way short doing the same thing i do on other shots.  

Yea it's definitely broken, nothing makes sense. I've saved loads of clips to make sure I'm not just bad and they all prove its just a bad game. Also looked at my pad while swinging and its straight yet the game says its all over place. I've just done a shot where the preview shot was a bad swing yet went over the bunker and landed on the green, i then took the shot with a perfect swing and it went straight in the bunker. At least the plat is easy. If this was called Rory McIlroy 2 you wouldn't notice the difference looking at it, but play it and one works fine and one is badly broken. I'm glad i didn't buy the ones before it. 

On 4/10/2020 at 8:41 PM, GUDGER666 said:

Yea it's definitely broken, nothing makes sense. I've saved loads of clips to make sure I'm not just bad and they all prove its just a bad game. Also looked at my pad while swinging and its straight yet the game says its all over place. I've just done a shot where the preview shot was a bad swing yet went over the bunker and landed on the green, i then took the shot with a perfect swing and it went straight in the bunker. At least the plat is easy. If this was called Rory McIlroy 2 you wouldn't notice the difference looking at it, but play it and one works fine and one is badly broken. I'm glad i didn't buy the ones before it. 

The big difference on the swing is your back swing. The game treats a pitch and a par-5 drive the same for swing mechanics, which makes no sense.  If you slow your back swing down, you will have a poor shot. This is especially troublesome for iron shots, where hardly any PGA professional would put a full back swing with 100% power from inside 100 yards. Yet, this is what the game expects you to do. 

I found that using the lower-tiered clubs worked better than the top club set. Sacrificing distance for accuracy paid off in most of my rounds. 

And don't get me started on the putting mechanics...:facepalm:

I’ve only just started this up and played 3-4 rounds and gotta say it plays like a dream compared to TGC2! Every aspect of it plays so much better, I still gotta go back to 2 and get a hole in one though. This one I’ve nearly had 3-4 already as it seems so much more accurate and plays better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This game to me personally is not good. I've never had this much trouble playing any of the EA versions. Why not have a visible swing meter to help gauge shots? For you pros, you can turn it off. I want to enjoy the game, not get frustrated because the swing mechanic varies with each shot. Every shot I take gets a very slow and veers off to the right. Not worth my time to get this frustrated.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 25/07/2020 at 7:10 PM, TheRealClayman said:

This game to me personally is not good. I've never had this much trouble playing any of the EA versions. Why not have a visible swing meter to help gauge shots? For you pros, you can turn it off. I want to enjoy the game, not get frustrated because the swing mechanic varies with each shot. Every shot I take gets a very slow and veers off to the right. Not worth my time to get this frustrated.

Exactly, no power bar means total guess work for every single shot including putting. Played this immediately after 2K21 and I'm not impressed.