Does trophy rarity REALLY matter?

No longer here

Hey guys I just been seeing certain threads where some won’t play a game because “it’s too easy” or “ rarity is too high”. The thing is that the game could be of good quality, like Resident evil 3 remake or Control. Just thought it was weird lol so I wanted to ask how do you guys feel about rarity and why it might or might not matter to you? (This is not a shot at people but rather a discussion :) )

I play for my own sake, and to challenge myself. 

That may include going after ultra rare trophies more often, but not necessarily. 

It's all about having fun, instead of focusing too much on some arbitrary measures which really don't matter. 

• Like 2

whURing is a cornerstone of trophy hunting for every seasoned hunter, but those that make it their motivational foundation are typically overcompensating and are prone to do cringy shit like make a discord server dedicated to it

• Like 2

I care more about the games I play than the rarity of their plat. What I don't understand is the people that play those 5 min games just for the Platinum. But again, as someone said, if it's important for you , great , everyone is free :)

• Like 3

I try to not care too much about the rarity of a certain game if I'm really interested in said game. I don't always succeed, though... I'm for instance irritated that FFVIII - Remaster has a ridiculously easy trophy list and haven't gotten around to playing it yet... I'm sure I would have if its trophy list had been similar to that of FF IX. 

Conversely, I try to not just play every game only because it has a shit-ton of ultra rare trophies, as while often rarity correlates somewhat with difficulty, there are many games with very rare trophies just cause they are just plain awful. 

So yes, to me personally, rarity matters, but not as much as the quality of a game or my interest in said game. I just try to have a high completion percentage and reasonably low average rarity overall, but always put the quality of the games I play first. And it just so happens that many of the games I'm interested in are somewhat challenging and consequently rare. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

I don't think it matters, but trophy rarity does send a message about the trophy/game.  If a game doesn't have a trophy guide to give an idea of how long or hard it is, trophy rarity may be the only way to determine if a game is going to be overly difficult or grindy since the trophy descriptions don't always tell you exactly how hard or grindy a trophy is.  But I do think rarity can help with making a decision on a game to play if they are looking at factors like how long the game will take to finish, how many missables there are, and how grindy or not the game is in making the decision.  Sometimes a person just wants to play something easy they can knock out in a weekend and sometimes you want to play something more meaty or challenging.

However, rarity doesn't tell the full story because there are definitely factors that can inflate or deflate the rarity besides difficulty or tedium.  Some games actually have low rarity and the trophy list is quite reasonable, but the game has a lot of missables that you need a guide for and there isn't one on the site.  Some games have difficult trophies and a higher rarity because of various things like platform, region, or an obsessed fanbase.  I've definitely noticed Vita stacks tend to have a lower rarity and Japanese stacks tend to have a higher rarity.  Sequels tend to have higher rarity than the first game in a series even if the trophy sets are similar.

1 hour ago, victorrfuego said:

Hey guys I just been seeing certain threads where some won’t play a game because “it’s too easy” or “ rarity is too high”. The thing is that the game could be of good quality, like Resident evil 3 remake or Control. Just thought it was weird lol so I wanted to ask how do you guys feel about rarity and why it might or might not matter to you? (This is not a shot at people but rather a discussion :) )

I start every game as long as it's obtainable in the meaning of a normal human being could finish it. That could is referring to give him or her a month of time and if there is no progress being seen than it's no good game. What I mean is I start meat boy and necro dancer since I believe that I can eventually beat them if I play them here and there for the next 34 years. What I don't start are unobtainable games or if you developer wants to be that funny that you have to guess the right number between 1 and 9*10^55555. The second example would be technically doable but boring af.

So long story short I don't play a game NOT because of rarity. I sometimes look for a game because of it's rarity (more in terms of UR or below 5% in order to get a challenge)

I like a challenge in general,not just in gaming. UR plats are generally more satisfying than easy ones. I'm still happy to play games with common plats etc sometimes, provided I know that I'm gonna enjoy the game a lot, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally play games due to the rarity of the trophies. I still enjoy it, it's just a different type of enjoyment and satisfaction then I'd get from playing a higher quality game with lower rarity trophies. In the end I have enjoyed the vast majority of the stuff I've played. 

Edited by zajac9999
typo
  • Like 4

I don't see much of a difference in avoiding good games because they're too easy than avoiding good games because they're too hard. I do think, though, I might sometimes use that criteria to determine the next game I play. It's not always intentional, but if I'm torn between two games that I want to play equally, that might be my deciding factor. Same thing when it comes to long versus short platinums. That's probably why I opted to begin God of War 1 tonight over Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. I could finish the entire GoW series in the time it'd take me to complete BBS.

Honestly, I'm sometimes relieved when a trophy list comes out and it's NOT a 70+ hour, multi-playthrough, 7/10 difficulty grindfest.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NekoRave said:

I consider games like women.

Theres a shit ton of easy ones around thats garbage.

However, once in awhile you find a rare one and youll remember her as it was a billion times better than the easy ones.

All that effort pays off at the end. 

True, but just like women, if I can't get the beautiful rare ones, I'll settle for all the easy uggo's I can get...

• Like 2

To be honest, I just play the games I want to play regardless of difficulty. If it looks like a great game, then I'm going to get it, simple as that. Then I'll worry about the trophy list.

That doesn't mean I won't check out the Platinum rarity every now and just to see what I'm up against. I generally end up going for 100% completion regardless. Out of my 42 games, there's only four that I haven't completed. Devil May Cry 5, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session because they require a much higher skill level than what I currently have and Dragon Ball FighterZ because I kinda hate huge mindless grinds (and also because the last trophy I have yet to get kinda grinds itself over time). But that doesn't mean I didn't have loads of fun with those games... which is what ultimately matters.

• Like 1

I prefer challenging games. They tend to be far more engaging and that's where I ultimately have my fun. It's only a coincidence that challenging games are ultra rare. That being said, there are plenty of challenging non ultra rare games (FF7 without the exploits, Bloodborne's end game chalices etc), that I've been happy to sink my teeth into.

Do the trophies matter? Not really, it's just an E-Peen measuring contest.

Edited by VigilantCrow

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I don't see much of a difference in avoiding good games because they're too easy than avoiding good games because they're too hard.

Yes. And also no ? I'd argue that there are valid reasons for avoiding either. It depends on what you want a trophy to represent. 

For example.. Would I enjoy a visual novel? Probably not ?, but even if I would, if I want to read I grab a book, I don't need trophies attached to a game that only wants me to press :cross:. I view trophies as something that is awarded for completing challenges, getting 100% in a game, enduring long grinds or overcoming huge obstacles. A low rarity goes hand in hand with this personal "interpretation" of what trophies represent to me. This is also why I like a trophy list to include things like ironman runs, or playthroughs on high difficulties, or speedruns... Because any player can still make the active choice of not going for those challenges or playing on lower difficulty settings, but a trophy should, in my opinion, be awarded to those that choose to go the extra mile. And this is honestly also the reason I go for 100% in all games I start. 

Of course there are exceptions, especially when using PSNP rarities certain games offer a decent challenge and are still common. I would never avoid these games, though, because as I mentioned above. the trophy still represents overcoming whatever challenge the game throws at you, it just so happens that the game is so good that many other players felt the same way ?

That being said, there are plenty of people that want the opposite from their gaming time. A good, relaxing game devoid of all challenge. If these players decide to avoid a game that is difficult... it makes sense in my eyes.

So yes, I might avoid an easy game. There isn't enough time to play everything anyways, and I just get more enjoyment out of overcoming a challenge. 

Edited by Arcesius