What Is Everyone Thinking Of The Game So Far?

A lot of it was enjoyable but a lot of it was a bit boring unfortunately. Everything looked great, the characters were lovable and the combat could be as simple or as complex as you like which i enjoyed. But in all honesty at least half my play time was just spent paused while i played on my phone out of boredom. There's only so many long metal hallways you can walk through doing the same thing over and over before you just can't stay engaged anymore and i say this as someone who loved FF13, which is usually the fanboy punching bag of hallway simulator hate. If it weren't for the semi-openworld chapters i probably would've disliked it but thankfully they were there to break up the monotony every once in a while. I think the problem really just stems from trying to drag one game out to multiple, it really did feel like there was no purpose to so much of the game and i didn't have the benefit of nostalgia to hype my way through it.

Around 75% of the way through i just got to the point where i said alright i want this to end, no more normal difficulty, classic here i come which made all the filler much more bearable since i could tune out and watch a movie or something.

• Like 1

im on chapter 8 and im very irritated that the game doesn't allow me places to grind pretty much. I like to play slowly and take my time mastering everything before I move on, and so far its been holding my hand through the whole thing. This feels like ff13 except that game opened up near the end, and I don't think this is going to happen here. Hoping for more when I get to Wall street.

I'm loving this game so far. As someone who played this game way back in 1997, it is what my imagination thought it was way back when.

My only problem with the game is that it feels too similar to FFXV in terms of the layout and quests.

Other than that, I'm on chapter 5 and have enjoyed every minute of this game.

• Like 1

Like with other slow-burn worlds built, such as in the Legend of Heroes (Trails) series, I greatly adore eavesdropping on NPC exchanges, and FF7R delivers those in quantity.

Spoiler

At the tail end of Ch. 4, the player has zero monetary or questing reason to diverge from the simple tasks of visiting a couple of homes. No hidden quests or monster hunts await. No cool new weapon or Materia can be obtained. Yet Cloud can revisit the deserted factory for kicks and broadly roam around nighttime Sector 7 purely for the heck of it to overhear all manner of gossip, theorizing, and general slum chatter. Folks discuss the other sectors - 1, 8, 6. Residents fret about feasible aftereffects from Avalanche's actions. The more carefree dance at the DJ's and unwind near the food stalls. A lonesome ill girl slips into the children's park under cover of night, to grab a fresh breath. One woman flatly derides a pair's bickering over hip apparel. The ol' Shinra Middle Manger even reappears once again~

All that, IMO, rewardingly expands the populace of Midgar with which I could only modestly engage, back on PS1. It doesn't center around massive plot revelations or world-bending grandeur; rather, it peers into the everyday lives of those who reside within this steel testament to industry. I *lap* that up. I lap it up. Amidst all the alterations, I applaud those insertions.

Enjoying this combat a heck of a lot, enjoying the revised soundtrack - got more than a couple quabbles (a few frustrating characterizations, a few uneven sequences, a few tacky "gamey" facets, plus an encroaching apprehension that Square will -bend- too much), but make no mistake, I am digging FF7R hard. It won't become everything that I'd hoped since I elected not to pin an array of hopes /on/ it. I am entering into it as a redone, not done, deal, where Square re-envisions this RPG which entranced me since the late '90s but here ushers something complementary, familiar *and* new, for 2020. So yeah. Yeah, I'm liking it bunches. Wherever it lands from here, I'm liking this whopper thus far. Phew.

• Like 2

I finished the game last night, I’m a massive fan of the original- and I find comfort in the idea that the best version of VII is already out there and they can’t ever touch that. That being said- I was really looking forward to this remake.

The game starts out so well, I was having a blast. Slight variations on the original were okay. I was prepared for those. area’s that have been expanded are well made and fleshed out- fun to play as well. The plot pacing compared to the original is weird but not a big issue. 

Things start to go downhill in the last chapters. I wish they remained faithful to the original plot but alas. I can’t go into much detail without spoiling anything. I’m writing this while (according to PSN) 2% of the players have finished the game. I’m expecting a lot of debate about if this remake was good or bad soon.

• Like 1

I completed the game few days ago and I loved it!

Atm I'm working on hard mode trophy and it's real fun; you have to actually set your materias and equipments right and exploit enemies' weaknesses: something I didn't pay too much attentions to when playing on normal difficulty.

I'm glad they expanded the story section of Midgar; It's something I always wanted after FFVII Advent Children movie and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII.

The main reasons why I loved FFVII were the characters themselves and I'm looking forward to part 2 just to see more of our favorite characters...

Extreme fan of the original here.

This remake is great, but also flawed. It bores me to tears at times, which is sad.

• Horrible pacing at times. The slums took way too long and the sidequests were extremely dull fetch quests. Looking for cats or "go kill <insert monster> is not intuitive or a good use of time. Side quests in RPGs used to actually be longer mini stories within the game that were awesome in and of themselves. Not MMORPG errand-boy crap. When it then becomes semi-mandatory due to the rewards it hands out and the obvious things you'd miss out if you don't do them, it feels like a chore as opposed to an interesting distraction.
  • Cringe-worthy anime crap. Like the constant thumbs up melodramatic nonsense. The original felt like a somewhat Western take on it all without the anime tropes, but here we go. That's just my personal dislike for heavy melodramatic acting though.
  • Sephiroth should be a secret/mystery and a built-up villain. So far I'm not happy with the fact that he's already in the game this early. I liked him best as an unstoppable mystery that was goal-oriented without caring who Cloud or anyone was.
  • I really did want the rest of the game as well, or at least a portion of the overworld. All the filler and mundane sidequests make me realize that we could've done Disc 1 as the first part, with the same pacing as the original. Remove all the filler and keep that pacing going. Right now I finish a chapter per evening and then I go play something else.
  • Yes, I prefer turn-based combat, but they did well all things considering. However, I wish normal enemies choreographed their moves better so I can really dodge/block as a true game mechanic. Not as a random rolling exercise. Bosses do this, so I wish enemies did as well. God of War combat with parries/indication of off-screen attacks, etc was perfect.
  • Summons.
  • Only 4 characters with limited equipment makes for a boring materia system so far.

But all in all, it's great that it even exists. I consider it a spin-off myself at the moment. It's made me want to play the original again, and again, and again.

• Like 2

I like the game plenty but it has very obvious issues. First of all it feels a lot like a Sony exclusive title, even if it isn't funded by them, you know the ones. Over the shoulder, third person action with forced walking and crawling sections as well as puzzles nobody asked for and a hard map to explore. I planned on taking my time with this game but I don't like how they tell you where and when you can take your time. I'm sorry I didn't want to collect cats and fight doomrats right before the next siege on Shinra, I would have come back after the story finished to do all that, but guess what? I can't, I 'failed' the quests. What kinda BS is that? What RPG fails you doing a quest because you didn't do it when they wanted? So when I got to Sector 5, I just skipped all the side quests because I didn't want to do them now, I would have forced it if I did them, I probably didn't miss much and I can come back to it later on chapter select, I'm sure. I'm on chapter 9 now and I don't think the story has even started yet. Two chapters of the game were in one reactor. I don't want this game to be over just as it gets going, like XV did. Also, nobody asked for this quasi sequel, reboot, remake thing, I don't know what they're trying to do, apparently it does pay off, so here is hoping.

I enjoy the game plenty when I fight the fantastic bosses or am in an action sequence but when I'm walking painfully slow in Sector 5 for 2 hours, it all comes rushing back. The opening is absolutely fantastic and as true to the original as can be, too bad it kinda goes all over place from there. I enjoy XIII quite a lot and have played it multiple times so it still makes me laugh for the amount of crap that it gets until this day for just being a 'hallway simulator' when other games, like X and now this, do the exact same thing. Yeah okay, X is older than XIII, sure, but this isn't. They may say it's a full game but it doesn't feel like it so it doesn't really wanna make me invest in my weapons or anything because I know things will change when the next part comes out. I'm half way through already in 10 hours somehow. I feel like I'm playing Ground Zeroes, as in, what is the point of trying to make any effort in getting good skills or whatever because it'll be all over soon and the next one comes out. 

I still enjoy the heck out of it and it's the only thing I've had a lot of fun with for a long time but everything can be criticised. Best thing they've made in a long time? Sure but besides XV's fantastic story, that isn't really that hard to do. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, O-Yarsa said:
  • Horrible pacing at times. The slums took way too long and the sidequests were extremely dull fetch quests. Looking for cats or "go kill <insert monster> is not intuitive or a good use of time. Side quests in RPGs used to actually be longer mini stories within the game that were awesome in and of themselves. Not MMORPG errand-boy crap. When it then becomes semi-mandatory due to the rewards it hands out and the obvious things you'd miss out if you don't do them, it feels like a chore as opposed to an interesting distraction.
  • Cringe-worthy anime crap. Like the constant thumbs up melodramatic nonsense. The original felt like a somewhat Western take on it all without the anime tropes, but here we go. That's just my personal dislike for heavy melodramatic acting though.

I've never really understood why people are so bothered by fetch quests. Hell, in this case Cloud is a mercenary so it does make sense as well.

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by "anime crap" either because it's pretty much on par with the original. Maybe there's something in the later chapters I'm not at yet but still. The original is far and away from being that grounded or western itself starting with Buster Sword, Honey Bee Inn, Motorcycle battle, extremely varying deaths and so on.

19 minutes ago, Lianco said:

I like the game plenty but it has very obvious issues. First of all it feels a lot like a Sony exclusive title, even if it isn't funded by them, you know the ones. Over the shoulder, third person action with forced walking and crawling sections as well as puzzles nobody asked for and a hard map to explore. I planned on taking my time with this game but I don't like how they tell you where and when you can take your time. I'm sorry I didn't want to collect cats and fight doomrats right before the next siege on Shinra, I would have come back after the story finished to do all that, but guess what? I can't, I 'failed' the quests. What kinda BS is that? What RPG fails you doing a quest because you didn't do it when they wanted? So when I got to Sector 5, I just skipped all the side quests because I didn't want to do them now, I would have forced it if I did them, I probably didn't miss much and I can come back to it later on chapter select, I'm sure. I'm on chapter 9 now and I don't think the story has even started yet. Two chapters of the game were in one reactor. I don't want this game to be over just as it gets going, like XV did. Also, nobody asked for this quasi sequel, reboot, remake thing, I don't know what they're trying to do, apparently it does pay off, so here is hoping.

Time limited quests and events are hardly anything new in RPGs. Hell, Fallout 1's main quest and more recently, Pathfinder: Kingmaker's main quests are time limited. Even in the original FFVII you have a good amount of permanently missable content like weapons, limit break or enemy skills. And I'm sure Yuffie and Vincent are permanentely missable as well?

Also, the crawling/walking sections are essentially loading screens. That's why there are almost none.

Edited by Herbalistiikka
  • Like 2

Easily a 10/10 for me. They simply nailed it perfectly.

I was hooked from the beginning to the end and immediately started on a hard playthrough (went through it on normal first). The characters are fleshed out a lot more than the original, especially the Avalanch members.

The combat is really fun and even though I was against it at first, the action style they chose fits the game better than the original turn-based combat. And that is really hard for me to admit. It manages to still feel like an RPG and the materia system is spot on. I love the new upgrade system for weapons and abilities.

The graphics are incredible. Every cutscene is just eye candy (especially Aerith and Tifa). Some of the backgrounds were a bit blurry at times in the slums, but for the most part, it was perfect. I played it on a base PS4.

When I watched the credits roll, all I could think about was how part 2 would work and when I can play it.

• Like 3

So, we waited for this game for close to twenty years. Give or take a few, but the rumors of a remake or remaster have been going on for what seems like forever.

I think in that time, I stopped caring what they did with it so long as they just made the damn game. And because of that, I'm thoroughly enjoying the hybrid experience of "old" FF7 mixed with the new "version" of FF7's remake. I absolutely love every part of it so far (just finished chapter 12).

And unlike the 12 year old who had to use Hypers and Cover materia to get Cloud to something fancy via the limit meter.... I can just spam the hell out of Braver. L1+Box, baby!

24 minutes ago, Herbalistiikka said:

I've never really understood why people are so bothered by fetch quests. Hell, in this case Cloud is a mercenary so it does make sense as well.

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by "anime crap" either because it's pretty much on par with the original. Maybe there's something in the later chapters I'm not at yet but still. The original is far and away from being that grounded or western itself starting with Buster Sword, Honey Bee Inn, Motorcycle battle, extremely varying deaths and so on.

It’s mundane and boring. Someone telling you to go to the store and get bread is also boring, not exciting. I understand that Cloud does small mercenary things. That doesn’t magically make it entertaining. Side quests in the slum could’ve had a small storyline or provide deeper character development, but instead we’re looking for cats. Even Cloud says it sucks at some point!

Anime crap is when characters act melodramatic via gestures and dialogue and selectively perform acrobatics to arouse the younger teenage boys. The constant thumbs upping, the over-acting of emotions. Etc. It all feels like a theater play as opposed to natural acting. Again, compare it to the grounded acting of God of War or maybe even Metal Gear. Maybe not Metal Gear, but look at something like Snake Eater. No exaggerated emotions. No goofy theatrical stuff. Normal dialogue and normal human movement. You can’t notice it much in the original, or more so the SNES era, because of graphical limitation. I guess I’m also just too old to find an extremely, extremely thirsty Jessie “quirky”, or doing 50 foot front flips exciting. (Especially when I then later have to climb ladders. Just do your 50 foot jump!)

Edited by O-Yarsa
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Herbalistiikka said:

Time limited quests and events are hardly anything new in RPGs. Hell, Fallout 1's main quest and more recently, Pathfinder: Kingmaker's main quests are time limited. Even in the original FFVII you have a good amount of permanently missable content like weapons, limit break or enemy skills. And I'm sure Yuffie and Vincent are permanentely missable as well?

Also, the crawling/walking sections are essentially loading screens. That's why there are almost none.

I forgot to mention that they could be masked as loading screens, still, when I saw it, I rolled my eyes. Think of something better than forcing control away from the player. FFXV didn't have any loading screens on the huge ass map if you didnt fast travel.

Yeah, a permanently missed character that is only available at a certain time as opposed to me going to fight some grunt enemies being locked off because of arbitrary reasons which would be basically every side quest being permanently lost is something different. Am I supposed to have fun while playing a game or do what it tells me when it tells me to do it? I thought that was called a job. I have to drop the urgency of the story to mess about in a town for 2 hours when the game tells me to as opposed to doing when I want to and being railroaded for 40+ hours. Stop being butthurt people are criticising a game. Oh he's a merc so it's fine for him to do grunt work. Weak excuse from Witcher 3. 

19 minutes ago, O-Yarsa said:

It’s mundane and boring. Someone telling you to go to the store and get bread is also boring, not exciting. I understand that Cloud does small mercenary things. That doesn’t magically make it entertaining. Side quests in the slum could’ve had a small storyline or provide deeper character development, but instead we’re looking for cats. Even Cloud says it sucks at some point!

Anime crap is when characters act melodramatic via gestures and dialogue and selectively perform acrobatics to arouse the younger teenage boys. The constant thumbs upping, the over-acting of emotions. Etc. It all feels like a theater play as opposed to natural acting. Again, compare it to the grounded acting of God of War or maybe even Metal Gear. Maybe not Metal Gear, but look at something like Snake Eater. No exaggerated emotions. No goofy theatrical stuff. Normal dialogue and normal human movement. You can’t notice it much in the original, or more so the SNES era, because of graphical limitation. I guess I’m also just too old to find an extremely, extremely thirsty Jessie “quirky”, or doing 50 foot front flips exciting. (Especially when I then later have to climb ladders. Just do your 50 foot jump!)

FFV started the very obvious character emoting with the wide eyes etc, not bad, it worked then. Maybe FF7 would have had it too if it were 2D but I know what you mean. The fact you cant jump over very low debris but in a cutscene can just between a cliff edge and something in the middle of a lake is annoying and very "gamey". I'd say Phantom Pain would be a good example, mostly because the recast Snake so he doesn't just ask a million questions and go "nrggggg" in the middle of a sentence. Jessie does seem to be "quirky" but I'm getting that from all the female characters in this game so far, not just delegated to one like Vanille in FFXIII.

Edited by Lianco
more detail

23 minutes ago, O-Yarsa said:

I get it that it's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm thankful for teleport to the quest giver and the fact that the quests themselves aren't dragged on with ridiculous objectives. I think a big problem for more involved side quests in this game is that it's limited to one location where as usually the grander side quests could take you all across the world so even if you wanted to make a story for a character in the slums it would end up being an ordinary fetch quest regardless.

That's not anime crap, that's literally just Japanese acting in general. Watch a few Japanese TV shows or movies and you'll see (Hero Yoshihiko is a good example, especially Jiro Sato's performance as Buddha). It's the same with the grunts and such just a Japanese media thing and there's basically nothing you can do about it if you hate it, heh. It's just like you said, graphical limitations that didn't bring it over.

That last part is just your nothing out of the ordinary ludonarrative dissonance that's just everywhere. I mean, you're probably going to groan when inevitably Cloud's going to perform his anime omnislash or Tifa starts summoning dolphins from punches (unlikely to happen, though this reminds me of the dolphin section in the original - oh boy). It is what it is, in the end, it IS a game for teens+

33 minutes ago, Lianco said:

I forgot to mention that they could be masked as loading screens, still, when I saw it, I rolled my eyes. Think of something better than forcing control away from the player. FFXV didn't have any loading screens on the huge ass map if you didnt fast travel.

Yeah, a permanently missed character that is only available at a certain time as opposed to me going to fight some grunt enemies being locked off because of arbitrary reasons which would be basically every side quest being permanently lost is something different. Am I supposed to have fun while playing a game or do what it tells me when it tells me to do it? I thought that was called a job. I have to drop the urgency of the story to mess about in a town for 2 hours when the game tells me to as opposed to doing when I want to and being railroaded for 40+ hours. Stop being butthurt people are criticising a game. Oh he's a merc so it's fine for him to do grunt work. Weak excuse from Witcher 3. 

Since I know nothing of the programming that's behind such loading screens I can't really say much but how would the loading screens then happen at all without either making you move slowly or just throw a complete loading screen at you? The game already struggles loading textures at times at least on a regular HDD.

Isn't that really the same? Whether you go for the stuff (party members, weapons, etc.) when the game tells you to vs. giving you side quests at certain point that you can do. I mean storywise that's the only point you would even be able to complete those side quests which is just as arbitary as it is with stuff in the original. The consequences aren't even that drastic missing the side quests here and you can return to complete those mundane tasks once the game is over. At that point there wasn't anything urgent going on either, was there? Just returning to bar whenever you were ready.

You're making baseless assumptions (like calling me butthurt? Which really isn't nice behaviour). I have criticism of my own for the game as well.

It's not just Witcher 3. Atelier games for instance have you take care of your atelier and complete mundane tasks for others or doing bracer work in Trails in the Sky.  Or hell, Monster Hunter has you slay/capture monsters because that's your job. It's just part of a theme though I wish the actual mercenary part was handled better.

• Like 1

I get it that it's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm thankful for teleport to the quest giver and the fact that the quests themselves aren't dragged on with ridiculous objectives. I think a big problem for more involved side quests in this game is that it's limited to one location where as usually the grander side quests could take you all across the world so even if you wanted to make a story for a character in the slums it would end up being an ordinary fetch quest regardless.

That's not anime crap, that's literally just Japanese acting in general. Watch a few Japanese TV shows or movies and you'll see (Hero Yoshihiko is a good example, especially Jiro Sato's performance as Buddha). It's the same with the grunts and such just a Japanese media thing and there's basically nothing you can do about it if you hate it, heh. It's just like you said, graphical limitations that didn't bring it over.

That last part is just your nothing out of the ordinary ludonarrative dissonance that's just everywhere. I mean, you're probably going to groan when inevitably Cloud's going to perform his anime omnislash or Tifa starts summoning dolphins from punches (unlikely to happen, though this reminds me of the dolphin section in the original - oh boy). It is what it is, in the end, it IS a game for teens+

The main point is why the side quests even exist; it's because Midgar was never a big enough section to warrant a stand-alone game. So what do we do? We add pointless filler to stretch the dough as far as possible. That didn't have to be like that. Either take the game beyond Midgar or flesh Midgar out. I can't imagine anyone playing the original thinking to themselves "man, I wish we could've looked for missing cats or killed rats for shopkeepers". Now if we add some real drama, or perhaps some side characters with real life issues going on. Perhaps a side quest where we talk to Marlene about how she wonders about her real father Dyne, and how adjusting to life in Midgar was. Something tangible. Something with value. No, talk to uninteresting characters and kill X amount of rats. Those are mundane and boring tasks that kill the momentum; a serious RPG sin.

I was honestly more hoping for maybe more sectors to visit. Not drag on the existing ones. In the original, we pretty much only covered sectors 6, 7, and 8. You could count 5, I suppose, but briefly. Flesh out the entire city more. Add more politics, more corruption, more Shinra. I want to know more about the city and the surrounding dead nature. Maybe witness the effects of Mako and Shinra as opposed to just telling us they're bad for plot's sake. The slums do not show me why Shinra is so bad. It shows me that the area is poor and that it looks like Diamond City from Fallout 4, just with less to interact with.

I was perfectly fine with the game being in Midgar only, but the game currently doesn't justify that decision. I have a feeling that it was in development limbo for a while and making the rest of the world just wasn't going to be possible yet, so they had to stick with Midgar and force it to become a $60 game. I haven't finished it, but so far those are the things that disappoint me. Again, I'm glad it exists and I have fun with the game, but there are some serious issues for me that will make it very hard for me to replay it again in the future once I'm done.

Edited by O-Yarsa
Quoting messed up

9 minutes ago, O-Yarsa said:

The main point is why the side quests even exist; it's because Midgar was never a big enough section to warrant a stand-alone game. So what do we do? We add pointless filler to stretch the dough as far as possible. That didn't have to be like that. Either take the game beyond Midgar or flesh Midgar out. I can't imagine anyone playing the original thinking to themselves "man, I wish we could've looked for missing cats or killed rats for shopkeepers". Now if we add some real drama, or perhaps some side characters with real life issues going on. Perhaps a side quest where we talk to Marlene about how she wonders about her real father Dyne, and how adjusting to life in Midgar was. Something tangible. Something with value. No, talk to uninteresting characters and kill X amount of rats.

I was honestly more hoping for maybe more sectors to visit. Not drag on the existing ones. In the original, we pretty much only covered sectors 6, 7, and 8. You could count 5, I suppose, but briefly. Flesh out the entire city more. Add more politics, more corruption, more Shinra. I want to know more about the city and the surrounding dead nature. Maybe witness the effects of Mako and Shinra as opposed to just telling us they're bad for plot's sake. The slums do not show me why Shinra is so bad. It shows me that the area is poor and that it looks like Diamond City from Fallout 4, just with less to interact with.

I was perfectly fine with the game being in Midgar only, but the game currently doesn't justify that decision. I have a feeling that it was in development limbo for a while and making the rest of the world just wasn't going to be possible yet, so they had to stick with Midgar and force it to become a $60 game. I haven't finished it, but so far those are the things that disappoint me. Again, I'm glad it exists and I have fun with the game, but there are some serious issues for me that will make it very hard for me to replay it again in the future once I'm done.

I can't recall but does Marlene even remember Dyne one bit? I also really don't see how you could make a side quest about that beyond making Marlene come with you on a stroll around the town. That's kind of the issue here. Even if you added story to it it would still be either some sort of fetch or escort quest. In the grand scheme of things a lot of it is just pointless filler to stretch out the segment (personally, I never really cared about the Midgar part) and it begs the question as to how they're going to go forward so that we're not stuck with one or two locations per game. Honestly, I have a LOT of doubts going forward - no way they're going to be able to make the Diamond Weapon fight or its progress towards Midgar as great as it was in original for instance. That alone would require overworld.

I agree with you in that they should've let us go to different sectors and explore more than just the old places. Wonder how they could've paced the story then though and to what extent (beyond the end of the game, apparently) they would've had to change the story also. As to why Shinra is bad, isn't it kind of shown how they're just bombing their own reactors just to pin the blame on Avalanche, them dropping the plate on Sector 7 (treating the people who live there worthless) and generally letting the people under the pizza just suffer.

It looks great and the combat system is a huge step up from FF15.   

I have to agree that pacing is really wonky and Sephiroth is introduced and reused way too much.  The whole build up in the original game was lost.

OST is really mixed up too.  The tough 'industrial' sounds of Midgar and the slums are replaced by soft reorchestrations and the world map theme appearing in chapter 3 is completely wrong.  For that matter, what's up with the slums?  Everyone who lives there is all good and happy?  It lacks the feeling of crippling poverty of the original game.

For that matter, there's something to say about having fewer NPCs.  There are a lot of NPCs that mill about and talk (too much for my taste), but none of them are memorable.  Think back to the original FF7 and how striking a number of the NPCs were.  The dude in the sewers living on cardboard.  People searching for food or money.  

That said I still think that this is a positive direction overall for the franchise, which has been struggling (just IMO) for the past 5 entries.  

5 hours ago, DEAD4346 said:

All I know, is that I'll be asking for a refund. This game is NOT, I repeat, IS NOT worth $60, let alone the $80 I spent for the added DLC.

Really?  I spent $330 ish on my 1st Class Edition and I beat the game yesterday.  Worth every penny :P. 

Edited by shadowTECnology
Mistake made with a word.

I'm enjoying what ive played so far, the original will always be better though. I absolutely hate the railroading in this game, the game doesn't give you enough freedom at times. Like you missed a materia and want to go back but the game won't let you. Pisses me off no end. Also some of the sections that they added seem pointless and unneccesary. Still enjoying it though, I knew that it would play very different to the original.

6 hours ago, DEAD4346 said:

All I know, is that I'll be asking for a refund. This game is NOT, I repeat, IS NOT worth $60, let alone the $80 I spent for the added DLC.

It seems it was worth enough to play through the whole campaign. At this point asking for a refund is just brazen. If you dropped the game after 2-3 hours, no problem, but after completing the game? Just to make it clear, it is not my intention to offend/insult you but such a mentality is pathetic imo.

Edited by GoDBoss173
  • Like 2

I finished the game yesterday, and with exception of a few major things, I think that's overall positive.

The things that I'm talking about are essentially things that were added at end game (from chapter 17 onwards) and other things that made the game feel soft, instead of heavy like the original one, as well as the flow changes at the stuff in Chapter 8 or 9, but I can see why they did those changes.. 

On the other hand I did like how they expanded on a few other things giving a more complete background to a few characters. I also liked the new gameplay, and overall how the dungeons were made to reflect on most part all the original layouts, as well as them being able to put every single enemy from this section of the original game in this one. Some of those actually became quite awesome boss battles. And playing on Normal really was a nice experience, even if somewhat hard at times (after the Airbuster I found me more often than not to have to retry battles to change my materia layout, and was burning through Potions and Phoenix Downs..).

Edited by Han_the_Dragon