What kind of trophies should be done away with in games?

ain_sr

Anything that is reliant on, influenced by or can be made temporarily impossible by RNG.

Chocobo Master from FFX for instance Is only possible when the RNG decides at the start of the race that the enemy is going to go the slower of the two finish timers. Even with perfect execution you cant finish in time if the opponent rolled the faster timer.

Others may not be bothered by these kinds of trophies but I find it a bit disrespectful to the players time to just have a trophy that should be skill based take longer to get purely because RNGesus wasn't pleased by their most recent blood sacrifice

• Like 2

The ones I hate the most are in open world games, not counting platformers, where you have to collect a certain amount of a thing. If it's fun to get I don't mind but it really never is. As an example, getting all of the collectibles in Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. At least for me it just involves me finding a video on youtube and following along and it's incredibly tedious and painful to do. Another that comes to mind were the chests in kingdom hearts 3. Online trophies I actually don't mind unless they're stupid. Like almost all of them in Black Flag which is the biggest reason I've never even bothered to go for the plat in that one. The ones I hate second-most are the trophies where you have to do a thing a certain amount of times. Aka the 'Kill a guy with this type of rifle 50 times' trophies that are blatantly lazy. The biggest abusers of this are online games that just want you to play them for-fucking-ever in order to spend money on microtransactions. As an example, dead by daylight or friday the 13th in which you either have to do a bunch of shit 50 times, or in friday the 13th's case you have to play 1000 matches as Jason. I've been playing that game for years and haven't even gotten the 500 counselor games trophy and I only ever play as a counselor.

RNG trophies are also unethical. Also missable trophies, at least to me, aren't too bad if the game is relatively short but if it's a 20+ hour game and you have a random trophy where if you sneeze incorrectly in chapter 3 you lost your chance then I want the developers arrested.

Edited by ChunkyKong64

Leaderboard Trophies with non reseted leaderboards, which forces you to buy the game earlier,
because it's getting harder to near impossible, the later you try it, like WRC: FIA World Rally Championship.

Online Tournament Trophies for taking part weekly for more times, that expire, like DiRT 2 after 3 years.

Uploading Throphies that become unobtainable, once the server closed, like uDraw Studio: Instant Artist.

Edited by microsamm
  • Like 2

For me it's online trophies.

It's not online trophies completely, there are online trophies which can be fun to get and not hard as hell. I had much fun getting the online trophies in Watch Dogs. It was fun but challenging as well to don't get spotted by other players. Got all online trophies without boosting a single one.

But so many online trophies are really hard to get legit without boosting and some servers are closing so fast and others are still playable after a decade. Have a few games where Platinum is unobtainable because of closed servers.

• Like 3

Everything you said plus:

Speedruns that take hours - links to your not wanting to play a game twice reason. Forcing me to play in a way where I miss most of the game or can’t enjoy it stress free means I’ll have to play again.

Trophies that require a certain play style, such as no kill runs. Again, means you are locked in to playing one way and doing multiple run through.

Needing to get multiple endings - for the same reason.

Item collection - again, basically not respecting my time. It’s not fun to have to decide between doing something tedious or being glued to a guide.

Trophies that require multiple players. Because I have no gaming friends who give a damn about trophies.

Any missable trophy that isn’t mentioned in-game as something to do. Again, because it forces one to use a guide.

RNG trophies that are statistically unlikely to come from game completion + additional 10% time investment (at most)

Trophies linked to playing at a certain time of year like Christmas Day or your birthday - because I might not want to play that day or might not be able. Even those that allow you to just change the console’s clock then become pointless.

No save trophies - because, for adults, life happens. Even were I to consider suspend/resume safe after hours of play, the wife or I might want to play a different game. I know next gen will allow multiple games to be suspended but I wouldn’t trust it hours into play, plus I don’t like leaving my electronics on unnecessarily.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, microsamm said:

Leaderboard Trophies with non reseted leaderboards, which forces you to buy the game earlier,
because it's getting harder to near impossible, the later you try it, like WRC: FIA World Rally Championship.

Online Tournament Trophies for taking part weekly for more times, that expire, like DiRT 2 after 3 years.

I don't mind online trophies, in fact I love most of them and embrace the challenge (e.g. Battlefield series assignments),but the ones you point out I would agree. Any online trophy that requires a specific time requirement like "do X before or on this date" is awful. Also, anything that involves community involvement; there was a couple on Helldivers that drove me mad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paramnesiac86 said:

30 mins platinums.

Just make Ratalaika games platinum-free, is all I'm saying.

I agree it's a cancer for the trophy community but that one in particularly doesn't affect us and our real games if and when we decide to skip that trash altogether (although they have a couple really enjoyable games too). Now that I think about it, does it affect our games? Do devs purposefully make trophy lists easier in hope to sell their game better? In general I feel trophy lists have gotten a lot lazier from the ps3 days but might just be my choice of games.

All on-line trophies.

If you're not going to keep the servers on-line forever then just dont..

People have lives and dont have enough time to grind for on-line trophies. 

Others get a PS3 or a PS4 a lil late and cant play games cause you cant 100% them.

I got a vita for the first time last year and certain games cant be 100%.

• Like 4

Any trophy that when done everything else possible in a game still wants you to rince and repeat for no reason what so ever even tho the game isnt great and the multiplayer is dead. 

Grid - around the world trophy springs to mind

47 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

All on-line trophies.

If you're not going to keep the servers on-line forever then just dont..

People have lives and dont have enough time to grind for on-line trophies. 

Others get a PS3 or a PS4 a lil late and cant play games cause you cant 100% them.

I got a vita for the first time last year and certain games cant be 100%.

Also this /\/\