What kind of trophies should be done away with in games?

ain_sr

Online - When I do have a game with one I usually do it first because of server closure issues and by the time I get to the game it might not be popular anymore.

Speed Run - I like to take my time. Plus I hate wasting hours of my life if I screw up and have to do it again.

Multiple Ending trophies - Unless it's a game that I love and want to play over and over again, don't make me play the whole long game just to get a different ending or finishing the game with another character. It's annoying.

Missable trophies for long games - One reason I haven't started The Witcher 3 is because of this very reason. It looks amazing but....missable trophies.

• Like 2

Get rid of shitty collectible trophies when collectibles does nothing. Doom did collectibles right. Collecting crap that doesn't add to the story or give you anything beneficial should not exist. 

My favourite game had one kind of shitty collectibles. The Last of Us firefly pendants. 

I despise online trophies with a burning passion. It's not that I hate playing online or anything. It's about the fact that online trophies eventually turn into unobtainable trophies  and that really bothers me. Get rid of these filthy abominations and I will be happy. Specific trophy requirements don't really bother me. I just can't stand impossible games and online trophies are the most common cause of that. 

• Like 1

Any trophy that requires a stupidly long amount of grind after you have done everything else like Take The Cannoli in GTA Vice City. Online trophies are fine as long as it's just like play 5 matches or something, no level grind to 50 or top leaderboard nonsense. I don't mind collectibles so much but don't put in 100 of 5 different types with missables, thats just tedious. The less RNG dependent trophies the better.

• Like 2

Multiplayer/online trophies: I don’t mind ones that are trying out the multiplayer mode, like play 5 matches or whatever or reach rank 10, but the ones that want you to invest a ridiculous amount of hours and be the best can get in the bin. Though I don’t think they should be on the main trophy list either. Like create a dlc list for online trophies so that even if there’s server shutdowns you won’t be locked out of the plat 

Multi playthrough: particularly on rpgs. If a game is 100+ hours I want to be able to unlock everything in one playthrough. 

RNG: No thank you ?? 

Missables: It’s not as bad if a game has chapter select (Heavy Rain type games for example I can understand missables) but again massive open world games where I’ve already sunk hundreds of hours into a save, I don’t want to find out 2/3rds through that I missed something and would have to restart ?

Pretty much what everyone else said. For me, I'd like to see an end to all missable trophies, and that includes trophies that might eventually become missable when servers shut down. Trophies should be something you earn through advancing the story or completing in-game challenges, not time-based events with an expiration date. Besides, they encourage the use (and sometimes necessity) of guides, which really shouldn't be in the spirit of this hobby. Imagine just being able to play through every game for fun because you know you won't be missing something.

• Like 1

Online that take over 10 cumulative hours to get and or those that have you play in a very dumb way. 

Perma death on games that last over 1 hour to beat. 

Speed runs, luck, ridiculous difficulty/ grind. 

Pointless DLC/ update trophies. (Expansions are fine). 

• Like 3

Reading this thread, it dawned on me. I think I hate all non-straightforward trophies, hard difficulties in games I don't have experience, collectibles forcing me to  watch youtube videos, brr, I don't really feel like getting the rest of Uncharted's trophies to get the plat, even though a baby could do it, maybe by having two cellphones, one for music, the other for walkthroughs could solve this, anyways, speedrun trophies as they literally kill  your enjoyment of a game, no save file trophies because fuck off already, grindy trophies, but it depends, if it's a game I like such as FFX I'm okay, your characters also get better so it's a good plus, but Dragonball Fighterz? No, thank you, RNG trophies like Cat Call in Injustice 2, haha, not funny Boon. But most importantly: online trophies, sorry I don't practice on every shit game to become good at it  like other people who only focus on a handful of them,  not to mention they are all behind a paywall these days under the name of ps plus, oh, and they can all become unobtainable, really, I'm not here to applaud Bioware, but is it really that hard to do what they did, offer an offline pathway to get online trophies?

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

In addition to grindy and online trophies, I really dislike non-stackable difficulty trophies.

Having to beat Prince of Persia: WW and TTT three times each for the Easy, Normal and Hard trophies was just an unnecessary, annoying waste of time.

• Like 3

I actually don't mind difficulty-based trophies (as long as they stack) or really luck-based ones. I'm even OK with speedrun-based trophies, despite not usually getting them. If a trophy is a sign that you beat the game a certain way or did a certain thing, yeah go for it.

But multiplayer trophies/achievements have got to go. If your ability to get a trophy/platinum depends on other people, then you're basically forced to get the game right at launch before everyone moves on to the next game. If you wait a few months until it's on sale (like me), it's usually too late.

Here are the worst types of trophies for me.

Online trophies. Be it grindy, difficult or normal ones, the very second a games trophies require a connection to a server that can be shut down at any time I automatically think less of it. Most companies at least have the common decency to warn the community before they shut servers down, but certainly not all of them. Ending with a game on the profile that has permanently unachievable trophies is probably the shittiest possible scenario in trophy hunting.

Ironman no death trophies. Here is our several hour long, tough as nails and or luck dependent game, now play through it without a single death, you need skill, tons of practice and a good amount of luck to have any chance. These trophies suck, they artificlally drag the whole process on far worse than any grind, because at least with the grind trophies you see how far you have to go and you probably can casually do something else while grinding. Ironman runs want you to play the early parts of a game over and over again, bonus points if they have shitty unskippable cutscenes or any other time wasters.

Speedrun trophies. Speedruns are the most fucked up and horribly unnatural way to play any game. Dragging all the enjoyment out of the experience with the single goal to skip as much content as possible so you can finish those few seconds faster than last time. Speedrunners break the games more than any other group and while I have some respect for the sheer endurance required to mindnumbingly play the same hour of gameplay over and over again dozens of times, I certainly am not keen on earning these types of trophies.

These types of trophies can die in a ditch somewhere for all I care.

• Like 2

Grindy Trophies
Was going say online trophies, but I usually wind up not liking any of those because a lot of them seem to be grindy.
I don't mind online trophies if it is just to try a game mode or something.
As far as Grindy trophies
Ones I didn't find any fun to do 
Rayman Legends- Truly Awesome(Was about ready to snap the game disc because I didn't want to play it anymore)
Digimon All Star Rumble- Play through Story Mode 150+ times( Pretty sure the developers didn't do this themselves and thought it was fun or whoever decided the trophy list)
GTA 4 & 5- Reach level 100, win in a match in every game mode or something like that.

As far as other online trophies go I hate ones that require to win an online match(Mainly racing, fighting and sometimes FPS games), or win 10 matches in a row along with be #1 on online leaderboards.

Speed Run and Difficulty trophies I don't mind too much, although Speed run trophies I just hate when games like God of War, The Last Guardian and others have that kind of trophy and no timer available. 
 If their going to make those kind of trophies it would be nice to know to see how much time I have so I know whether to just start over or not.

I also don't like the don't die trophies.

At least the Crash Bandicoot trilogy had a decent trophy list nothing too grindy that I don't remember anyway, and was least somewhat difficult so it wasn't just an easy platinum wouldn't mind more games falling into that category.

- Missable trophies. Just stupid.

- "Beat the game 3 times on the hardest difficulty". No. I like to play a game as much as i want, without being forced to beat the game a ridiculous amount of times for a simple trophy.

I don't see a problem with difficulty, collectables or online, but these two i mentioned are the worst.

Online or MP trophies really need to go away. If a developer feels it is really that necessary to have OL trophies, they should treat the online mode as a separate game. Then if the game's server gets closed down, you aren't SOL for a platinum. And you shouldn't be required to speedrun... why not just have a leaderboard for those who care about fast completion? Generally, I don't like to rush through a game.

Sony... please ban luck-based trophies. It should be all about your skill, not how much the RNG loves you.

Trophies for permadeath modes just shouldn't be a thing. PD should be an "omake" or extra mode, just for fun. It's good that there is no need to complete Ultra Nightmare in Doom Eternal to get the platinum... but then I will say that the Battlemode should've gotten a separate trophy list.

• Like 1

Online and multiplayer trophies. These are so annoying, I'm a solo gamer and hate multiplayer and online. Also, online trophies tend to rely on other people and boosting, when I think trophies should be the result of your own individual effort without needing the help of others. So that defeats the point of online and multiplayer trophies. I want a platinum to be obtainable even if you don't have internet and no gaming friends. The Yugioh games are annoying for online trophies... if it weren't for those I would have gotten more into Legacy of the duelist link evolution

I kinda expected to find 'online trophies' to be the most common dislike people point to and I wasn't disappointed. While online trophies are annoying simply because they place a timer over every head from the moment the game is released, I would suggest that better online trophies would be a decent compromise. To that effect:

-Leaderboard trophies - You know the type. Be in the top x% of players, have this rare title that only one person at a go can earn in a month long window, etc. What's funny to me is if you look through the achievement development suggestions document for XBox, this is one of the first kinds of achievements they discouraged, several months before PSN trophies became mandatory for release. In short, aside from being annoying, having achievements listed for exclusive rankings or high PvP requirements doesn't foster better play. It just encourages people to either break the game, work together against the point of the game or outright cheat.

• 3 years later...

Super strict speedrun time achievements, like a few seconds off from voiding the achievement, also achievements that combine both Speedrunning and Deathless, should not be a thing. Speedrunning already makes the game hard, so the least they can do is allow us to die as many times as we want.

Edited by Kimura Takahashi