Before I start...

Wanted to ask a couple of things before I start this game.

Looking at the guide it says 5 playthroughs one for each difficulty starting from very easy and going up after each playthrough, so is there a problem if I start from Normal? Do I really have to start from very easy, then easy, then normal and so on or can I play them as I please?

Do I have to look at a guide to get all Dog tags on my first playthrough or can I play without worrying too much? I like having a blind first playthrough, but since I have to play this 5 times don't want to end up doing it 6...?

• Like 1

You can play the difficulties in any order you want, but since there are trophies for no kills, detections etc. it is easier getting rid of them early on the easier difficulties. 

Yes, I would recommend following a dog tag guide with an excel-document where you can cross off things. 

If you play without a guide first, you'll end up with an extra playthrough most likely. 

If I remember correctly, there are more total dog tags than required for the Great Dane trophy. But since you need to hold up the enemies and frisk them before obtaining the dog tag, it is necessary to get almost all of them early on, to have some leverage on the hard difficulties. 

Good luck. Awesome game. 

• Like 3

Yes, you can start and complete the game on Normal, bosses won't be cheap that way and you'll experience the game on the default difficulty, or on any other difficulty.

You can also play the game blindly, but you will most likely have play either the tanker or the plant chapter ir both again to collect all dog tags in that playthrough.

If yo want to go blindly, I recommend you to collect all dog tags of a level and saving the game frequently after that, until the point of no return. On the tanker chapter the point of no return is after leaving the area with some dark corridors where you hear a message from the tanker radio requesting everybody to go to the holds for the commandant briefing. On the plant chapter is before leaving strut D to get to the other central core.

To keep track of the dog tags you collected, after saving the game go to menu and extras, then dog tag viewer, you can check which ones you are missing and collect them, just don't forget to save after that. Be aware that some enemies spawn when you revisit some areas after some events in the game.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 2

Thanks for help, guys!

I'll start on Normal or Easy, want to keep Very Easy as the 3rd for my "Stealth Complete" trophy run. Too bad that I have to use a guide on my first playthrough, but I guess it's better than playing 6 times...

3 minutes ago, Kiyan-13 said:

Thanks for help, guys!

I'll start on Normal or Easy, want to keep Very Easy as the 3rd for my "Stealth Complete" trophy run. Too bad that I have to use a guide on my first playthrough, but I guess it's better than playing 6 times...

You don't need to use a guide at all for dog tags location, just go to Menu then Special, and choose Dog Tag Viewer. You can backtrack in case you missed some of them.

• Like 1

Yep, the issue here is that in each difficulty you will find different tags. 

Let's say that in very easy you will find 50 tags, but in easy you will find 60 and some of them will be different from the very easy ones (it's just an example). 

Meanwhile you will have some miscellaneous trophies that would be easier in lower difficulties. 

Edited by Carttagos
  • Like 1

Since there are more dog tags, both for Tanker and Plant, I can "skip" some of them, right? Asking because a guy who appears on the guide doesn't want to appear for me :/

I need 76 out of 83 for Tanker and 218 out of 243(as janzor88 said above) on Plant, right? 

On 12/4/2020 at 5:24 AM, Element_Razor said:

Make sure you keep your saves because the ps vita  and ps3 have a cloud save ability. You can unlock most of the trophies on the ps vita or ps3 which ever you start first. 

I know and I don't really understand why Sony decided to make it work that way, pretty much it gives you the option to earn an extra platinum with no effort at all. I personally won't use it because I really hate stacking trophies... Want each of my trophies to be one of kind, or at least as much as they can be, but thanks anyway! 

Edited by Kiyan-13

1 hour ago, Kiyan-13 said:

Since there are more dog tags, both for Tanker and Plant, I can "skip" some of them, right? Asking because a guy who appears on the guide doesn't want to appear for me :/

I need 76 out of 83 for Tanker and 218 out of 243(as janzor88 said above) on Plant, right? 

Forget the trophy guide, use the Dog Tag Viewer to see which one you are missing. If you mean one enemy in the engine room, you need to make it from the entrance to the other side (on the other side there is the entrance [past the lockers] to the dark corridors where there is the point of no return at the end) without trigger any alerts (maybe even without a caution mode) for the enemy to spawn. This enemy will open the locked door from the lounge with a drill.

I don't know the exact number, but since the tanker is shorter you can start a new game (using the same saved file) to collect the dog tags that you previously missed).

Edited by Deceptrox

10 hours ago, Deceptrox said:

Forget the trophy guide, use the Dog Tag Viewer to see which one you are missing. If you mean one enemy in the engine room, you need to make it from the entrance to the other side (on the other side there is the entrance [past the lockers] to the dark corridors where there is the point of no return at the end) without trigger any alerts (maybe even without a caution mode) for the enemy to spawn. This enemy will open the locked door from the lounge with a drill.

I don't know the exact number, but since the tanker is shorter you can start a new game (using the same saved file) to collect the dog tags that you previously missed).

I'm playing on Easy and I need to get the last 3 dog tags and the one I'm talking is the dog tag #23, the guy on the balcony in Hold No.3 where you need grip lvl2 to reach him. He doesn't appear for me and the timer is already set below 2 minutes(not sure if that matters)... Have already lost too much time due to grip lvl2 not "saving" if you don't move to another area/map first. 

So there is no room for mistakes? I can't leave a dog tag behind?

Edited by Kiyan-13

14 hours ago, Kiyan-13 said:

I'm playing on Easy and I need to get the last 3 dog tags and the one I'm talking is the dog tag #23, the guy on the balcony in Hold No.3 where you need grip lvl2 to reach him. He doesn't appear for me and the timer is already set below 2 minutes(not sure if that matters)... Have already lost too much time due to grip lvl2 not "saving" if you don't move to another area/map first. 

So there is no room for mistakes? I can't leave a dog tag behind?

Are you sure the marine with a dog tag is on the upper floor? If you got the thermal googles you can see if he's carrying one. 

If you missed a few dog tags you can play just the tanker and collect any dog tags you missed, with the bandanna it will be easier.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Deceptrox said:

Are you sure the marine with a dog tag is on the upper floor? If you got the thermal googles you can see if he's carrying one. 

If you missed a few dog tags you can play just the tanker and collect any dog tags you missed, with the bandanna it will be easier.

I missed him, he didn't appear for me. It seems like he is a one-time guy as I read on gamefaqs, unfortunately. I skipped him for now and I'll play Tanker later after completing the game on Normal and Very Easy if the trophy doesn't unlock. Any idea if there are more guys like him? Who can be missed?

Do I have to collect them all on Tanker? Asking because it says that I have to collect 76 and there are 83 across all 3 difficulties, so if haven't misunderstood this I still have like 6 Dog Tags to spare... right?

Edited by Kiyan-13

1 hour ago, Kiyan-13 said:

I missed him, he didn't appear for me. It seems like he is a one-time guy as I read on gamefaqs, unfortunately. I skipped him for now and I'll play Tanker later after completing the game on Normal and Very Easy if the trophy doesn't unlock. Any idea if there are more guys like him? Who can be missed?

Do I have to collect them all on Tanker? Asking because it says that I have to collect 76 and there are 83 across all 3 difficulties, so if haven't misunderstood this I still have like 6 Dog Tags to spare... right?

That's right, you don't have to play the tanker on all difficulties, unlike the Plant chapter that has to be play from very easy to extreme.

1 hour ago, S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y said:

Sorry for the offtopic, but how does the cloud save in MGS actually work?

I've read somewhere, i should start both Versions at least ones 1f605.png

@Element_Razor

You need to start the game on both, the PS3 and the Vita and connect your Vita with its cable to the PS3. On the main menu there should be a Transfarring option, select it and transfar the save file you want to play on the other device.

• Like 1