Which difficulty to start with

Prime3324

So I’m picking this game back up after taking some time away from my previous play through. Is it worth my time to play it on the hardest difficulty or should i play on an easier setting? I want to platinum the game but I’m thinking i might have to do 2-3 play throughs. 

• Like 2

If you’re comfortable with the controls, then playing on hardest difficulty isn’t difficult. I personally played on the Story and Sword difficulty twice and my third and final was on Death March, it was a cake walk (maybe cause of my gear and overpowered sword... Aerondight). If you decide to play on Death March difficulty, you should use the Quen sign at all times and upgrade it. You will struggle a bit in the beginning but after that you’ll be fine. Give it a try, if its too much of pain then you can always lower the difficulty.

• Like 2

My two cents - start on Death March, but don't follow a guide.  Learn as you go.  Initially, you will find the experience difficult, but after you level up once or twice, and pick some key abilities (many monsters are susceptible to Igni, and the humans burn especially well), and you can learn to block projectiles with your sword, you'll be fine.  Monster fights are about dodging, and with Igni, as I said, you can destroy a group of 8 or 10 men as though they were one man.  And avoid the packs of wolves, at least for a while.

• Like 3

Start on Death March, it gets considerably easier as you progress through the game. I played a full Signs build and once you put a few levels into Igni and find yourself an Griffin witcher armor its kinda a cakewalk. Everything just burns to the ground, except for golems. Dunno whether or not the  developers nerfed the signs after release though.

You don't need a guide except for a couple of missable Gwent cards.

Until you leave the White Orchid or whatever it's called in English, you will probably find it hard to get enough healing items because you will be always getting so much damage, I suggest find a chicken farm and kill them over and over using meditation. This way I had enough meat so I could easily level up my character and get Snake/Venom witcher's gear and upgrade Shield power. Once you do that, Death March is easy.

• Like 1

Start on DM and suffer until lvl 15-20.  After that it'll be.... Fair and then kind of normal.  Also pay big attention to guides for missables. 

One more, very important thing:

Triss > Yenn

Edited by Fr_0zt

12 hours ago, Prime3324 said:

So I’m picking this game back up after taking some time away from my previous play through. Is it worth my time to play it on the hardest difficulty or should i play on an easier setting? I want to platinum the game but I’m thinking i might have to do 2-3 play throughs. 

I've platinum'd this game twice, too, both times starting on Death March. The first time, I encountered a few hiccups at the start, but it's easy once you get used to it.

The Whirl and Rend abilities are your best friends. I once Share Played with a friend and he laughed and said I was cheesing the enemy. And then he went ahead and did the same thing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have platinumed the game three times and i would recommend you start the game on death march..here's a few tips:

Quen is your friend, make sure it's always active in combats and don't attack if it's not, you could easily die in 2-3 quick hits.
Spam the dodge button in combats and you will never get hit.
Make sure you install the blood and wine DLC and get the GOURMET skill which mean you get to regenerate health for 20 minutes if you eat anything. Its so op :D

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I started up TW3 back when it was released and got through the first area on Death March with a lot of issues. I then decided to restart on Normal to "get a feel for the game". After I cleared the first area again, I found out that it is about a 60+ hours playthrough (assuming you don't skip all the dialogue). That bummed me out from the game for several years until just last month. I started again on Death March and I was worried. I watched one video on a recommended build and it became stupid easy after about level 12. The guide recommended Delusion to start (for an extra 40 XP every use), Cat School (light armor passive), Gourmet, then alternate 5/5 from the fast attack path and the adrenaline path (far left and far right of the red branch, respectively). After that I was set. Very few issues... died from falling A LOT though haha.

19 hours ago, Optinooby said:

For those who have goty or ce, start B&W dlc. Make a save, then quit to main menu menu, new game, new game+ and then load save you just made.

You will start the base game at lvl 34, with 20000g, tonnes of gear, 44 ability points to spend, plus you can access legendary stuff first run!

Well damn that is a good tip. 

20 hours ago, Optinooby said:

For those who have goty or ce, start B&W dlc. Make a save, then quit to main menu menu, new game, new game+ and then load save you just made.

You will start the base game at lvl 34, with 20000g, tonnes of gear, 44 ability points to spend, plus you can access legendary stuff first run!

Is this some kind of exploit?

22 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Thats so boring. You are recommending this to a new player... ?

On 13-4-2020 at 8:00 PM, Fr_0zt said:

One more, very important thing:

Triss > Yenn

Remove yourself.

• Like 2

Definitely echoing the Death March sentiment. But it might just be a penchant for always starting with the hardest-available difficulty if trophies exist for them.

Harder difficulties once unlocked if applicable, otherwise off to easy for mopping up anything I didn't get the first time around.

2 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Is this some kind of exploit?

Legit my friend, just nobody realises because guides have just carried over from vanilla, rather than guides being redone with the GOTY content that changes lots of stuff in terms of best ways to acquire trophies

3 hours ago, Kallume said:

Well damn that is a good tip. 

Its mad isnt it, enemies can still be a bit tough, but having all that stuff helps immensely, not just with combat!

1 hour ago, LoveInHell said:

Thats so boring. You are recommending this to a new player... 1f612.png

Not a recommendation, just passing on the knowledge to let others know.

Clearly its not for you, but @Kallume clearly will enjoy it as he mentioned up earlier.

We all enjoy games in different ways, all about the options right xD

Me for one, I will find it really interesting as well, starting with all that stuff is awesome, I love me some Overpowered!! Having mutagens, ingredients ready for legendary Witcher Gear when you get it, having bombs/potions/decoctions already, hell, if one really wanted, they could even take 5 mins in B&W and craft superior witcher gear as you start B&W WITH the diagrams AND with the ingredients xD

Besides, it doesnt break the game, just probably saves you about 10 hours, enemies can still hit hard due to NG+ scaling.

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 3