Announcing the Play At Home Initiative

Aranea Highwind

Both games were PS+ free games before. Is that means for PS+ members who add those games into the library before could not keep them forever?

Edit: Turns out even if you add the game into the library from PS+, you still can purchase the game now for free and keep it forever.

Edited by GTA_Darren

Just want to add the last bit:

*In Germany and China, users will have access to Knack 2 and Journey for free for a limited time (Thursday 16th April 1am CEST / 4am CST through Wednesday, 6th May 1am CEST / 4am CST).

Knack 2 is not bad I guess. Don't remember if we had Journey in PS Plus. Maybe I give it a try after FF7R

Personally would have rather had just about anything else over games I've already played at least twice.

But Sony's just like if you haven't got the Uncharted Collection by now you're never going to buy it, so why not just give it away for free.

• Like 1

While it's a nice gesture, a lot of people already own these games since they were in a PS+ lineup at some point or another (Uncharted only recently). Also, if the goal was to encourage people to stay at home and play games, I think there were better choices than Journey which can be finished in a couple of hours.

It's pretty cool that they're financially supporting indie developers though. ?

• Like 1

So free games twice now?  I think it's okay to call that strange.  Is the target audience people who didn't download Uncharted for free two months ago?

If this program will be a regular thing, do everyone a favor and throw in some not previously free indie games, please.

Edited by IntroPhenom

I hope they can put games in a cycle every few weeks or so like PS Plus. If not, then this is only useful for people who do not have PS Plus. I already have Journey and I want to get a physical copy for the Nathan Drake Collection. A good reason for them adding games to a cycle is that if you really are stuck to the house and can do nothing but video games and schoolwork (like me), you will certainly fly through all 4 of these games if you are not playing for trophies.

• Like 2

Major kudos for the Creative Funding initiative! I mean, I get that it's ultimately an investment on future returns of indie game sales, but still a noteworthy gesture. 

r/ChoosingBeggars rant below... 

While I applaud their good intentions for free games, this is a complete misfire. They could easily have gone the route of the big 2011 hack and offered a selection of games from which people can choose any 2. 

To be fair, though, Sony doesn't owe us anything with regards to the global stay-at-home orders beyond ensuring network stability. And who knows? If this continues, maybe we'll see a different selection of games next month.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I'm not intending to come across as a fanboy here, but in all honesty, turning your nose up at this gesture because the games are something you already own is utterly missing the point.

You are not being a fanboy, it's just that you really have a great point. Which made me hope I didn't come across as being self-entitled lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PatinumNumemon said:

You are not being a fanboy, it's just that you really have a great point. Which made me hope I didn't come across as being self-entitled lol 

Not at all ? those folks are abundantly clear further up, most of the replies were all good, just a couple that were a bit 'whoa now'. I'm in the same boat as you as I have both already. While I don't personally gain anything from these free games - I really love to think they are giving those folks stuck at home who don't own these titles something to take their minds off the madness going on.

I think i take my library for granted really, but if i put myself in the shoes of someone who had just bought a PS4 to help get me through this isolation or I didn't have much money for games right now, these two titles would be a very very welcome diversion.

• Like 2