Announcing the Play At Home Initiative

Aranea Highwind

The games seem to be available to download for free now. Just got Uncharted/Journey from the Brazil store and Knack 2 from German store.

PS: Even if you already have the PS+ version of Uncharted you can get this free version on your account.

PS²: Journey is cross-buy, so you can play it on both PS3 and PS4 :D

Edited by kanzenchaos
  • Like 2

Well, I was curious about what Sony was going to do with previous ps+ "owners" and tada they added a popup list with two Free versions.

So, if you want to get the games permanently go to every game (even when it says purchased) click on the list and it says Choose a Version: Choose the one that does not have the store logo.

How do you confirm? Go to Download in the psn website and the games will be there, and using your ps4 Go to Library and you'll find them in Purchased.

11 hours ago, GoldenShaka said:

Well, I was curious about what Sony was going to do with previous ps+ "owners" and tada they added a popup list with two Free versions.

So, if you want to get the games permanently go to every game (even when it says purchased) click on the list and it says Choose a Version: Choose the one that does not have the store logo.

How do you confirm? Go to Download in the psn website and the games will be there, and using your ps4 Go to Library and you'll find them in Purchased.

I was able to add the free version of Uncharted to replace the PS+ version without having to redownload it, but Journey still has the PS+ expiry. This might be rectified in the coming days I guess.

2 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

I was able to add the free version of Uncharted to replace the PS+ version without having to redownload it, but Journey still has the PS+ expiry. This might be rectified in the coming days I guess.

But did you delete the previous version? In my case, I downloaded Journey, checked the information, it had expiration date, I deleted, then I went to the store through ps4, chose the version without the store logo, you go to the Library, if the game is in the Purchased section you own it, if it's still in PS+ section is rented.

I just checked the Store app and searched Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection, when I clicked link to the game I saw the Free tag instead of the Download tag despite having bought the game a few years ago.

Does this mean I have to purchase the game again?

PD: The game is gone from my download list on the PS Store app.

The collection is already installed on my PS4 but I won't be able to check if it's still on my PS4 library for a while.

Edited by Deceptrox

Got Nathan Drake Collection. Props to Sony for actually giving something for free for once! Might try some of the games in the collection sometime. Enjoyed Uncharted Golden Abyss on Vita so maybe I'll like these ones too.

Already had Journey which is a fantastic experience, I highly recommend it.

Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) should definitely be commended and shown appreciation for their good gestures, including the very concept of offering free games, but their selection of games are perfectly valid to criticize (for multiple reasons).

But firstly, free things aren't above criticism. Makes absolutely no sense that constructive criticism is "somehow" illegible because "it's free now", and even worse, because they've made other irrelevant good gestures. That's irrational and narrow-minded. Various types of bad effects can be produced from free things (e.g., a food business offering free food for a couple of hours, which ends with a large group of people getting stomach viruses), and free things themselves can be of and even encourage poor quality and action. In the case of this "Play at Home initiative", there may not be an issue that causes major health or life concerns, but Journey's inclusion is flawed in another way, whether it's free or not. 1. The game utterly fails to keep players engaged for a quarantine/lockdown period—which as a reminder is exactly why this event actually exist—because it's an objectively short game (like UndeadWolf also said) and doesn't have much substantial replay-value. 2. The game (along with Uncharted Collection especially) panders too heavily to potential new/barely-using PlayStation 4 owners, neglecting the loyal PlayStation 4 and Plus subscribers. Last time I checked, loyal players and subscribers are also victims to this pandemic, making the defense for newcomers ("there's people who haven't played them and would be excited to have it") utterly silly. 3. The game was already offered via the IGC, regardless of it not being fully free and having happened four years ago. Number 1 alone means the decision making process to make this game free, is bad. Being free itself, which is fine and not the problem, doesn't mean it's an actual good choice. The selection & decision was suppose to fall on games that do a fine job at encouraging staying indoors [this event] for long-term, something Journey utterly fails to do, despite the free aspect.

Then there's the redundant and counterproductive "there's people, including ones I know, who haven't experienced these games too", which is both an utterly poor and obviously hypocritical point. The former because this precise point can be applied to any single offering in all of life. It makes the very concept of feedback and constructive criticism pointless. By nature of life, someone is ALWAYS going to benefit from something being given, even if it's the #1 most popular of-all-things in the entire galaxy and in all history. That doesn't justify or rationalize poor selection/decision making. Some people would be grateful to be given literal turd, a bottle cap, or string, and that's not hyperbole.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

I own all three of the free games however I'm happy they made pac man free. It's not a game many people have played I feel and it's a great game, easy to play but hard to master and you can sink hours into those sort of games while slowly improving.

I'm surprised they went with this over the arcade classics  collection though.

Edited by charxsetsuna

• 1 year later...

New update from Playstation Blog

Starting May 17, 2021 

The following in-game content and virtual currency is available for free via PlayStation Store from Monday May 17 08:00pm PDT (18 May 04:00 BST, 12:00 JST) until June 6 11:59pm PDT (June 7 07:59 BST, 15:59 JST).† 

Game  Content 
Rocket League *  PlayStation Plus Pack – includes four unique customization items including Blue Notch Wheels, Blue Smoke Boost, Blue Rocks Trail, and the Trimpact BL Player Banner. 
Brawlhalla *  Brawlhalla: Play at Home Pack – includes the Rayman Legend Unlock, Sir Rayelot Skin with Axe and Gauntlet Weapon Skins, Shrug Emote and Grimm Sidekick. 
Destruction AllStars **  1100 Destruction Points 
MLB The Show 21 **  MLB The Show 21 10 The Show Packs 
NBA 2K21 **  The Play at Home Pack – includes MyTEAM Series 2 Amethyst Damian Lillard, 5,000 MyTEAM Points and more. 
Rogue Company *  Rogue Company: Play at Home Pack – includes the Kyoto Undercover Ronin Outfit and 200 Rogue Bucks. 
World of Tanks/World of Warships *  Twice the Courage Pack For World of Tanks: Modern Armor, this bundle includes five x1.5 Silver Boosters, five x2 XP Boosters, 7 days of Premium Account and more.  For World of Warships: Legends, this bundle includes Tier III battleship Arkansas, 7 days of Premium Account and 5x Rare Boosters of all five types. 
Warframe *  Warframe: Starter Bundle – includes 100 Platinum, 100,000 Credits, 7 Day Affinity Booster, Essential Base Damage Mod Bundle and more. 

Starting May 20, 2021 

As part of the Play at Home campaign, you can get five 60-minute Double XP tokens for Call of Duty: Warzone to accelerate your levelling in Season Three. The Double XP tokens can be accessed exclusively in-game through the Message of The Day beginning May 20 at 10:00am PDT (18:00 BST, May 21 02:00 JST) through June 6 at 11:59pm PDT (June 7 07:59 BST, 15:59 JST).

Game  Content 
Call of Duty: Warzone *  5 Double XP Tokens  [Available from May 20 at 10am PDT, 18:00 BST, May 21 02:00 JST]

• Like 2

Also important bit at the end of the blog post:

We appreciate the support from the PlayStation community, and hope you enjoy the final Play At Home content drop! Please stay safe, and thanks for playing.  

I have no use for this in-game stuff but I'd say overall they provided great value for free in the past 3 months or so.

• Like 1

Very disappointing compared to the last one. I’ll claim the Brawlhalla stuff (even though it’s not very useful) and maybe the Warframe stuff. 

Not it sure if it will let me claim the stuff for Rocket League as I don’t have Plus. The rest I’ll skip since I don’t see myself ever playing those games.