The terrible controls are a huge turn off

33 minutes ago, StylerX01 said:

So I started this game for the very first time today, sat through the like 20 minute intro cutscene, and I was horrified at the controls. I thought, ok, perhaps I could get used to it if I really want to. Then I sat on the horse. Jesus christ. What the hell were they thinking? I quickly proceeded to delete the game before I got any trophies.

Was anyone else turned off by this?

You mean the ps3 or ps4 version ? 

2 hours ago, StylerX01 said:

So I started this game for the very first time today, sat through the like 20 minute intro cutscene, and I was horrified at the controls. I thought, ok, perhaps I could get used to it if I really want to. Then I sat on the horse. Jesus christ. What the hell were they thinking? I quickly proceeded to delete the game before I got any trophies.

All team Ico games in a nutshell.  Love this game but getting the platinum once is enough for me.  I'll play it from time to time on a guest account tho. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

How  ironic, this is exactly the reason I put down the game. Couldn't get past the infernal  control scheme(and I do usually have patience with weird mechanics)

That’s not good news. I’m also very patient when it comes to terrible control mechanics, but to read another patient person stop playing this game makes me a little nervous :awesome:

Edited by Emina
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Maaden_Swe said:

Really dont get how people can struggle so much with the controls. 

And sad that some people miss a great game because of that. 

Great game or not, a game cannot be played with off putting controls. It just doesn't give the same experience.  However I can't speak with much authority as I haven't played the game myself but with what people are saying, I still stand by what I have just said. Imagine playing a huge AAA game with terrible controls. Something like God of War for example, imagine the experience. Sure they're in completely different categories but regardless, the point applies that it just wouldn't be as enjoyable therefore many people would have negative feelings about the game simply putting it

• Like 3

The controls are very flawed, greatly inconvenient to game-breaking at their worse, especially combined with the game's frequent physic/collision problems (including while climbing, horse riding, aerial and grounded movement).

You got things like

- Getting stuck and being completely unable to climb colossi from certain spots, regardless if there's hair all-around the area or not.

- The infuriating situation where the player is stuck in an endless failing-to-grab-ledge/spot animation while attempting to climb colossi and structures.

- Several exasperating behavioral actions of the horse, such as the multiple scripted and unscripted slow-down walking sections (like Uncharted/The Last of Us).

- Getting completely turned around when the horse is about to collide into something, with all momentum lost. (Not that the horse's full momentum is good or even kept for moderate segments).

- The horse randomly deciding to go in a different direction while already being guided one way.

- The main character not always grabbing onto something upon falling off things even when holding the grab button..

Etc.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, ShahinMiah said:

Great game or not, a game cannot be played with off putting controls. It just doesn't give the same experience.  However I can't speak with much authority as I haven't played the game myself but with what people are saying, I still stand by what I have just said. Imagine playing a huge AAA game with terrible controls. Something like God of War for example, imagine the experience. Sure they're in completely different categories but regardless, the point applies that it just wouldn't be as enjoyable therefore many people would have negative feelings about the game simply putting it

I think Red Dead 2 has friggin awful controls.

I also think it is a masterpiece, and one of the best games I have played in a long time.

• Like 3

On 14/04/2020 at 8:42 PM, StylerX01 said:

I know exactly how you feel, man. I picked this game up on Amazon for 20 bones and my goodness, I did not enjoy it all.

I've never played this before even back on the PS2 so this was a totally new experience for me.

Though the graphical improvements are utterly breathtaking, the controls feel so clunky and dated. You'd think that the studio would also make the controls feel more fluid.

You know what also irks me? I respect that the majority of people that played this game absolutely loved it. However, respect is a two-way street. Many people will straight up verbally condescend you for not liking it and voicing a harmless yet honest opinion about the game.

After beating the 3rd colossus, I ended up uninstalling it and giving it away to a friend.

Edited by chester_abellera
Minor tweaks
  • Like 3

A long time ago I played ICO on PS2 and until this day it probably is the worst game I ever played. I never tried SotC because of this so when it was free on Ps Plus I gave it a go. Yeah, it took me 5 min. before I deleted the game. The game is shit.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 2

I never tried(and never will) SotC myself precisely because it is basically Stumbling: The Game. It's kinda the point to make you feel like a puny human but I couldn't care less. Haven't played FFXV for similar reasons - too much physics and weight in character animations. I simply dislike the feeling of it. I remember suffering through Killzone 2, it was a horrible experience. Gladly they made you lighter and not so inert in third installment.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 2:42 PM, StylerX01 said:

I guess I'm too used to the PS3 version, but I actually thought the controls in this one were way too slick. It's just too easy to stay on the colossi in this version of the game.

1 hour ago, xmera_core said:

I love driving the horse into walls and trees. It's like 78.6% of the game. Faceroll tree bark, baby!

Yeah, that stupid horse. He can jump a gap over a bottomless pit, but god forbid he get too close to a small anthill.

23 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

A long time ago I played ICO on PS2 and until this day it probably is the worst game I ever played. I never tried SotC because of this so when it was free on Ps Plus I gave it a go. Yeah, it took me 5 min. before I deleted the game. The game is shit.

I despise ICO. I mean, I despise it. But I like SotC a lot, warts and all. Weird world.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The controls and camera are the toughest enemies in the game.

The controls for this game have never been great, so it’s unfortunate they’re not better in the remake. Every frustration I had with this game was either the horse, the unresponsive controls, and the wonky camera.

Phalanx is one of the better boss fights but is also the worst because it triples down on the unholy trio: you have to steer the horse will focused on the colossus, you have to also aim bow attacks, you have to fight the camera that always tries to centre on who knows what, then try and gallop along side a moving enemy to jump and grab on it. Once you’re on the back of the beast you often can’t see as you’ll have a full screen of random flipper.

The final colossus is much the same. It’s more a battle against unresponsive controls and bad camera.

Agro is one of the worse horses in gaming. Especially since playing Red Dead and Witcher. Only advice I can give is less is more. Don’t steer him, just hold triangle and occasionally tap left stick to adjust direction. He auto navigates fairly well.

i don’t know I buy the whole “Wander isn’t a trained warrior so it’s meant to be plonky”. He very simply doesn’t do backwards jumps when he’s supposed to, Agro does random 270 degree turns for no reason, and the camera has a mind of its own.

Other than that, great game.

• Like 1

Controls are actually pretty good once you know the drill and have a bit of upgrades for your stamina. If you think SOTC has bad controls, please play Last Guardian for one hour and get back to SOTC you will never say it again :-D haha really ^^  Last Guardian is the definition of poor control.