The terrible controls are a huge turn off

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After reading all the replies, I feel like I played a completely different game because I had almost no problems with the controls. Sure, I did struggle with them at the beginning, but once I got used to them, they felt very intuitive to me. I enjoyed riding on Agro and simply exploring everything(the only exception being riding through forests. In that case I just dismounted her and walked through them myself because it was faster... Sorry Agro, nothing personal :-$). There were some points where she didn't jump over short cliffs when she should have been able to, but most of the time I had no problems riding her. It's also weird that my favorite colossi to fight are Dirge (10th colossus) and Phalanx (13th colossus) because

Spoiler

you have to shoot at them with your arrows while riding Agro which is quite tricky if you're not used to it.

But then again, I like a good challenge, so maybe that's why I had so much fun fighting them.

On 17.4.2020 at 2:28 AM, RogerFH said:

But, anyway, about Agro: you control her reins, not her directly. Just saying, because some people tend to ovelook that.

This is what helped me steer her. When you keep that in mind, steering her becomes much easier.

Edited by Sillshez15
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I came back to this just recently to do a bit of cleanup, went to the 3rd colossus for the Resist the Wrist trophy, and god damn, what a rude wake-up call. I don't know how I beat even a single colossus. You'd think that for a game that ends up being "jump here, climb here, manage stamina, time your sword strikes right", that "jump here" wouldn't be as much of an issue as it is. Then again, I might just be a whiny bitch, dunno. Glad that I'm not the only one who feels the controls are a huge barrier.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Reading all the negative comments makes me sad. Because the game is brilliant. It is by far not easy, I agree. The question is: Do you find a way or do you give up?

I learned that patience is the key. Getting used to the controls is part of the challenge. Yes, they are more indirect than direct. That is part of this game.

I spent enough time with the game and the colossi and they have certain trigger points that causes a certain behaviour (for example less shaking).

I earned the Platinum for PS3 version and I am about to get the Platinum for the PS4 version. I fly through the game, 

The game is a masterpiece. I wouldn’t change a bit. And the PS4 version is already much easier. In my opinion it is the best version to start if you haven’t played SotC yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21.1.2022 at 2:34 PM, scoreaddict said:

Reading all the negative comments makes me sad. Because the game is brilliant. It is by far not easy, I agree. The question is: Do you find a way or do you give up?

I learned that patience is the key. Getting used to the controls is part of the challenge. Yes, they are more indirect than direct. That is part of this game.

I spent enough time with the game and the colossi and they have certain trigger points that causes a certain behaviour (for example less shaking).

I earned the Platinum for PS3 version and I am about to get the Platinum for the PS4 version. I fly through the game, 

The game is a masterpiece. I wouldn’t change a bit. And the PS4 version is already much easier. In my opinion it is the best version to start if you haven’t played SotC yet.

i agree! this game is amazing. something not being easy is classed as being bad nowadays

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just started the game for the first time and I can agree that the controls are terrible. Controlling your horse feels incredibly clumsy, shining your sword to your next waypoint is so silly (especially on horseback) and the camera is definitely not my best friend in this game.

Despite this, I was surprised by this game and I think I will enjoy playing it out. I love these types of 'little guy fights big monsters' games and this one is great! Never played the game before so I'm in for a show!

The controls being precise and demanding of the player =/= the controls being bad, at least not inherently or objectively.

If anything for me it made the battles feels more immersive by making Wander's desperation to climb these gargantuan beasts feel like my own desperation as well.

I'm a person with very little patience, and who is quickly prone to anger when playing video games, and it took me no time at all to understand the controls and adjust.

The PS3 remaster on the other hand... 

Edited by Zephrese

1 minute ago, Zephrese said:

Controls aren't terrible at all and are perfectly responsible., you're all just whiney bitches who're bad at the game because you're trying to play it like other games it has nothing to do with. lmao

This is one of my favourite games of all time - played every incarnation of it to completion, and consider it to be an experience like no other, and a genuine landmark in gaming history that every gamer owes it to themselves and their hobby to experience...

...and even I think the controls are obtuse and unintuitive.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

...and even I think the controls are obtuse and unintuitive.

I don't really agree personally, or at the very least not to the extent that some people in this thread have claimed.

It just isn't everyone's cup of tea, which is perfectly fine, but that doesn't mean it's objectively bad either.

On that note I'm not saying there's necessarily a problem with people not liking the controls, but a lot of what I've seen here does come off as whiney more than anything.

Edited by Zephrese

Controls aren't terrible at all and are perfectly responsible., you're all just whiney bitches who're bad at the game because you're trying to play it like other games it has nothing to do with. lmao

Funny that you insulted everyone on this thread that didn't share your own opinion on things and then edit the comment.

But I still want to react to it; So basically what you're saying is that people that complain about the controls only complain because they're bad at the game? And the reason that they're bad at the game is because they prefer the controls of other games? That's a very weird statement to make in my opinion.

So let's say I hate the controls of Shadow of the Colossus. That makes me bad at the game because, accroding to you, I'm trying to play Shadow of the Colossus like I would play Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption 2? That's ridiculous.

On that note I'm not saying there's necessarily a problem with people not liking the controls, but a lot of what I've seen here does come off as whiney more than anything.

So not sharing your opinion is whining? Got it.

People here are just discussing the bad controls in Shadow of the Colossus in this thread and you come in here and call all of the people that have a different opinion than you 'whiney bitches' for that. You would be hilarious as a politician.....

I have not played this on PS4, but yeah, back in ye old days of 2004 (or whenever it was)

A friend lent me the game, raving about how good it was, and wow I died on the first boss and never touched it again. I don't care how good a game is, but if it controls like arse and runs at about 15-20fps. Trying to play that after 60fps Metal Gear Solid, 60fps and split screen Dynasty Warriors 3/4 where the controls are silky smooth.

Back in the day I was the only person I knew who hated this game. It has honestly put me off the game ever since even stopping me from playing the remake (which is obviously going to be an improvement) Reading this thread gives me a bit of reassurance that it wasn't just me lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, its_ArchroniX said:

People here are just discussing the bad controls in Shadow of the Colossus in this thread and you come in here and call all of the people that have a different opinion than you 'whiney bitches' for that.

If thinking that helps you sleep better at night, be my guest. ???

Edited by Zephrese

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Fox-Hand-89 said:

Totally desagree with bad controls. I got plat all Team ICO games (including both SotC) and my opinion is that controls is one of the things that was made intentionally "not simple". 

I think the controls were pretty simple, that's not why I think they were bad.  I felt controls were really clunky, often unresponsive, often annoying to the extreme. The horse would sometimes not budge and wouldn't vault over obvious things you'd expect to the point you have to kind of 'reverse' yourself out of a stupid angle.  The aiming of the weapon was bad and jittery.