Hell House hard help

Cyl242

So I am trying to tackle the platinum trophy, but have been sitting on chapter 9 hell house fight for 3 hours already, the worst is dying at the last 10%, when hell house jump and do about 5k damage which most of the times instakill both of my characters, which makes me repeat the whole 20-30 min fights again. what should i improve, do make the fights  smoother?

I own the manuscripts from chapter 1-8 hard

cloud setup is buster sword

hp up

mp up

revival

prayer

cure

fire

lightning+elemental material for cutter and sweeper

First Strike

Steadfast Block

bahamuth summon

aerith with bladed staff

hp up

mp up

magic up

revival

prayer

wind

ice

cure+magnify materia for aoe heal

Steadfast Block

shiva summon

Edited by Cyl242

1 hour ago, DemonicDraco said:

Make cloud the healer with magnify both characters with cure and revive and as much hp and mp as possible ray of judgemnet was my main damage against it. Id dump that wind and ice materia its a waste of mp on hard. And i dont even know what steadfast block is.

You need the Wind & Ice materia to stagger the Hell House (?)

Tips from the guide itself: You may run out of mana if you use the medium or high-level version of the elemental spells, so it is important that you always use the lowest one (4MP consumption) as it is already enough. And just a reminder:

• When it glows red, hit it with ice
  • When it glows white, hit it with fire
  • When it glows green, hit it with lightning
  • When it glows yellow, hit it with wind

Extra tips:  

1. It will 99% of the time target your active character. Heal with secondary party members with L2R2 and you will avoid your heals getting canceled.
  2. I'd get rid of Steadfast Block and get another HP Up
  3. The AI is really good at dodging, both characters shouldn't die when it jumps. If you keep dying, get Barrier and use it (it's like -50% damage)...

I might change the weapons to have more magic stats too. Cloud's Iron Blade for instance I think reaches a higher total magic capability than the Buster. And I think Aerith has been magic stat options. The goal being to help with recovery and efficiency in healing.

Just jumping on DemoonicDraco's theroies....

(Make cloud the healer with magnify both characters with cure and revive and as much hp and mp as possible ray of judgemnet was my main damage against it. Id dump that wind and ice materia its a waste of mp on hard. And i dont even know what steadfast block is.

I almost  never use any offensive magic on hard... sometimes on annoying enemies like helitrooper..

Think I had cloud use mythril blade. He does like no damage to house..  triple slash thetonberrys but otherwise i just made him aerith's healer

I dunno how both characters are gettin hit by houses jump.. i usually run in circles while its airborne, i rarely got hit by its landing and the ai never did.

If 5k 1 shots you you are kinda weak.. need more hp ups.. you should be at 7-8k hp at this point.

I was a bit of a sucker and didn't go into the fight with any magic equipped, but to my surprise the fight wasn't as bad as I imagined. I just chipped away at it with regular attacks and it went down a little quicker then when I fought it on normal. The Tonberrys were easy to deal with thanks to triple slash, and then the additional of cutter and sweeper at the end was brief. Cutter went down almost immediately and sweeper was bulldozed by the house. 

If the issue you're having is with, ahhh Heavensward is it? When the house flies around and there's a countdown before it comes slamming down, well yeah I never once had the AI bunch up, but the one time it landed on Cloud it did under 4k damage. Chuck on an extra couple of HP Up and you'll be sweet.

By the end of the fight, Aerith was down to 5mp, so that was a little tight. Thankfully there wasn't any need for anymore mp in the chapter 

47 minutes ago, DemonicDraco said:

Honestly didnt understand its elemental weakness mechani  when I fought it. I barely used any non healing magic in my whole hard playthrough preferring to save mp for healing and Aeriths regular attacks damage it just fine anyhow.

Right? I'm like you when it comes to magic. Your earlier post about occasionally using it on helitroopers, yeah that's me right there. Anything that i just can't reach or have silly camera issues with

As said earlier,  when he does heavensward he counts down. At 1 he'll prepare to crash down at you but will imbue himself with an element while charging. If you cast a spell of the opposing element he will come crashing down pressured allowing you to get some hits in. 

Also during his fight certain moves imbue him with elements which you can do the same thing to cancel and pressure him. 

The hospitality one where he sucks you in is wind element so use thunder. Put thunder on your least used character since he does this move to your active player. 

The hell charge is fire so use ice. Best time is right when you dodge him and he turns around for another pass, he does the charge 2-3 times or until he hits you.

The ground charge is thunder and chair salvo is ice so use wind and fire respectively.  

This was the only fight I used attack spells for on hard and it was worth it. I split up the four elements between the two of them. Don't worry about mp consumption as this is the last fight of the chapter. 

Edit: The level 1 spells are enough to do the trick if you want to leave up mp for healing.  Have Aerith as healer with the healing carcenat on and a Cura spell can heal you for about 75% life if used on a single target. 

Edited by wikidclowne
  • Like 2

Just want to add a small tip, I did this last night and the first time I wiped during the last 15% or so. He spawns two mechanical sub bosses at the very end of the fight which can really mess you up if you are not ready for it. So I saved Aerith's level 2 Limit Break on my second try until he spawned those two extra enemies, and then used it. This makes you immune to physical damage and gives you the room to clear them out before getting back on the boss.

I didn't use any elemental spells, I did it just using mostly healing and Aerith's Ray of Judgement. Also having Arise on both Aerith and Cloud is handy incase something goes wrong so you can get back in the fight.

Edited by tpepper1985

I've read - but haven't tried yet - that the level 3 poison spell can take out 1/4 of Hell House's health bar on it's own - and to either summon Bahamaut or Chocobo & Moogle as they are the only summons that do non-elemental damage that won't heal the House.

Also in the same article it suggested utterly avoiding the summons of the sweeper/cleaner as the House will actually damage them and destroy them and just to go ahead and focus entirely on 'Burning Down The House'.

I'll either be doing this sometime late tomorrow or Sunday, will edit and let folks know if someone else doesn't before then.

2 hours ago, IntrepidHunter said:

I've read - but haven't tried yet - that the level 3 poison spell can take out 1/4 of Hell House's health bar on it's own - and to either summon Bahamaut or Chocobo & Moogle as they are the only summons that do non-elemental damage that won't heal the House.

Also in the same article it suggested utterly avoiding the summons of the sweeper/cleaner as the House will actually damage them and destroy them and just to go ahead and focus entirely on 'Burning Down The House'.

I'll either be doing this sometime late tomorrow or Sunday, will edit and let folks know if someone else doesn't before then.

Bio helps push the God House Mode phase faster and can help avoid spawning the mechs.  As long as you hit it with its weakness everytime God Mode drops, the fight is quite easy.  Here's a guide that tells you how to address various mechanics from Hell House.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, fps_cloud said:

I'm about to attempt this on hard mode, any advice on recommended materia/weapon setups? :)

Cheers

I had Arieth with the Reinforced Staff and Magnify+Healing and Fire (Plus HP, MP, and Magic UP orbs). Her job was simply to cast regen and fire when the House shifted to "Ice".

Cloud had the Twin Stinger and the other three elements, Light, Ice, and Wind. He also had stat buffs and Steadfast Block. I kept his ATB bar with at least one charge at all times to cast the counter element to the House's shift. When it was pressured, I spammed Focused Thrust. When it shot out Tonberry minions, Triple Slash.

Used this strat twice in chapter nine to get both sets of manuscripts. The second time, I was able to kill the House just as the mechs were being released. I probably got lucky on stagger times/damage, but for me this was one of the easiest bosses in hard mode. The Scorpion in chapter one gave me more of a headache.

Edited by xmera_core
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, xmera_core said:

I had Arieth with the Reinforced Staff and Magnify+Healing and Fire (Plus HP, MP, and Magic UP orbs). Her job was simply to cast regen and fire when the House shifted to "Ice".

Cloud had the Twin Stinger and the other three elements, Light, Ice, and Wind. He also had stat buffs and Steadfast Block. I kept his ATB bar with at least one charge at all times to cast the counter element to the House's shift. When it was pressured, I spammed Focused Thrust. When it shot out Tonberry minions, Triple Slash.

Used this strat twice in chapter nine to get both sets of manuscripts. The second time, I was able to kill the House just as the mechs were being released. I probably got lucky on stagger times/damage, but for me this was one of the easiest bosses in hard mode. The Scorpion in chapter one gave me more of a headache.

Just did it on my first attempt following your method, thanks mate! :)

• Like 1

I've beaten Hell House on Hard twice now due to replaying that chapter twice to get all the Manuscripts. Some good advice here.

For me I feel, all you need is Bioga, no seriously, just cast Poison on the house and it let it drain away and recast every minute or so, it does something like 128 damage every few seconds, does way more damage than Cloud can hit with his sword, all you have to do is wait it out.

Hardest part is at the beginning when Tonberry comes out, all you need to do is keep an eye on the door opening and make sure Cloud has 2 ATB charged up and then use Triple Slash twice when all the Tonberry appear at the door all in the same place. The final half of the match just keep casting Bioga and running away form the house, mostly use Cloud so Aerith CPU can be attacking the house and doing tons of damage.

Main tactic is to equip Bioga and Pray on both characters and just keep using Pray, you don't even need to heal yourself. Cast Bioga, and run around the arena avoiding the house and both characters use Pray. Equip Aerith with both Magic Up Materia on full and every time she uses Pray 5500 health restored on both characters. Putting Chakra on Cloud too isn't a bad idea if you need to urgently heal just him.

Also equip Refocus on Aerith, her limit break is usless only heals about 4000 health each when Pray does more, when her Limit Break powers up Use Refocus and then she will have 3 ATB and using Pray will become even easier. As soon as you cast Pray immediately switch to the other player to reduce the chance of the Pray getting attack cancelled.

Don't even bother with Fire, Ice, Lighting and Healing spells etc. Just equip Revive for both characters just incase of emergency and use the Bioga tactic. Worked for me, twice.

Oh and one more thing, make sure you put Steadfast Block Materia on both characters. I never use block but the CPU used it like a diva. So the CPU player ends up charging ATB quite quickly when it blocks everything. So for example, just when you're about to get hit by flying furniture switch to the other character and then the CPU will block it and the ATB will fill up quickly.

This is handy when Aerith has 3 ATB because she will fill up to 3 bars in no time and then you can change to her do a Pray, immediately switch back to Cloud, both characters are healed by 5500 and then Aerith is almost back to 2 ATB again. In the final 25% it is so difficult to do much damage on the boss because it is flying around, Clouds attacks almost always get reverted and even if he does hit the Hell House has shield on. But Bioga Poison damage ignores all this and just continues to chip away at it with 128 damage every few seconds.

Often Hell House will eat one of your characters, don't worry, when they get eaten, change to the other character and just attack away, even if the attacking character has 0 ATB, it can be charged back up again to 2 ATB, by the time the character gets spat back out. Use Pray the instant the character is spat away and then they will be healed and likely back on full again (if Cloud got eaten.)

Also Cloud does less damage than Aerith, so if the House is trying to drag you in, it is actually recommended to quickly switch to Cloud and then run into the mouth on purpose since Aerith does more attack damage on the house and Cloud has more defence against the attack.

Just run away from the house and avoid it entirely with Cloud, unless he has a limit break, and fire a few shots with Aerith, keep changing as soon as the AI fixes onto your current character. It's very easy and cheap this way.

At times you will have Aerith and Cloud both on 2 ATB and full health, during those moments, just run around with Cloud and let Aerith attack and then use Pray as soon as someone gets hit. I was rarely even close to dying with this method.

Also ATB Stagger Materia is also quite usefull since as soon as the Hell House is staggered you can use Pray immediately.

Oh and if you have spare slots, put all your Luck Up on Aerith, this increases chance of a critical hit and since she does quite a bit of damage with her magic spells already. Think of this as the same as Attack Up.

Let Bioga do the work and just focus on avoiding the House and keeping yourself on the full health. Just keep a look out and make sure the purple numbers are popping up every now and again, if they stop, recast Bioga.

Good luck.

PS If you don't have 2 Pray Materia (I recommend having 3 Pray Materia for the entire Hard mode), go back to Normal mode and Chapter 14 (I think it is and do the sub quests until you get the Don Corneo treasure mission), each time you start this chapter it is one of the treasures in the Don Corneo treasure area that is in the junk yard.

Pray is arguably the best OP Materia in the game, It's basically (All + Cure2) but with zero MP usage. Don't leave home without it ;)

And it only takes up one slot, compared to (Magnify + Cure) Materia in a double slot.

Edited by enaysoft

1 hour ago, sealightbreeze said:

What do

you do if you ran out of magic? I can’t leave- the elevator don’t let me 

That is something you have to plan for on hard mode. It's best not to use much MP at all before hell house and stick to level 1 spells if you have to.

If you have no MP at all you may have to start the chapter again as MP us vital for this battle. If you have enough to cast bio on hell house you might be able to wait it out and survive using pray and chakra but it won't be easy. You could use soul drain with Aerith to get enough MP to cast bio if need be.

Edited by ChaosDivider
  • Like 1

Tip1 Poison the hell house 

Tip2 If the houses windows are glowing counter it with the opposite element.

white = fire

Red = blizzard

yellow = wind

green = thunder

Tip 3 Triple slash Tonberrys

Tip 4 Arcane ward and don't use Lv 3 Mat move that's a waste of MP

I got nothing else to say this fight isn't hard.

58 minutes ago, Glacier_Silver said:

Tip1 Poison the hell house 

Tip2 If the houses windows are glowing counter it with the opposite element.

white = fire

Red = blizzard

yellow = wind

green = thunder

Tip 3 Triple slash Tonberrys

Tip 4 Arcane ward and don't use Lv 3 Mat move that's a waste of MP

I got nothing else to say this fight isn't hard.

I agree with everything Glacier_Silver said. I used Infinity's End on the Tonberry's (probably riskier due to it being a slower attack, but it killed them all at once). 

On 4/14/2020 at 6:10 PM, Cyl242 said:

So I am trying to tackle the platinum trophy, but have been sitting on chapter 9 hell house fight for 3 hours already, the worst is dying at the last 10%, when hell house jump and do about 5k damage which most of the times instakill both of my characters, which makes me repeat the whole 20-30 min fights again. what should i improve, do make the fights  smoother?

I own the manuscripts from chapter 1-8 hard

cloud setup is buster sword

hp up

mp up

revival

prayer

cure

fire

lightning+elemental material for cutter and sweeper

First Strike

Steadfast Block

bahamuth summon

aerith with bladed staff

hp up

mp up

magic up

revival

prayer

wind

ice

cure+magnify materia for aoe heal

Steadfast Block

shiva summon

The HH is susceptible to poison so Bio works great here. I was worried about this fight and ended up beating it my first try in Hard Mode and it wasn't as bad as everyone made it to be. I could've used other magic to target it when it brings up the shifting elements, but keep in mind the more materia you have stocked for offensive capabilities, the less materia you have for defensive and support, ATB boosting, etc. My strategy for all Hard Mode fights so far has been survival first. HP plus and MP plus, and a Magic Plus for Aerith. The closer to max out they are the better. Also you can substitute the First Strike with something else as the first strike only benefits you at the beginning of battle and doesn't pay off for encounters lasting more than like a minute or trash mobs.

Also, the Buster Sword is great for damage, but if you are trying to dish out damage, use the Hardedge. If you want survivability, use the Twin Stinger with Reprieve and the cure mp cost cut abilities. Reprieve is your lifesaver, literally.