Controversy over paid New Game+ DLC

arcanehornet_

1 hour ago, majob said:

You're comparing two different markets for one, each filling in different needs. Resteraunts market atmosphere and above average, at the very least, food. You're buying an experience, not just food. Fast Food is about quickly getting something to eat when you don't want to or can't prepare your own food. Their marketing is cheap and fast ready made food. This is more in depth than "they both sell food" and game publishers are selling more "experiences", optional things you are compelled in no way to buy so I'd say buckle up because it's not going anywhere

You're avoiding the point. I was trying to show that hiding behind the argument that 'it's a product' is irevelant.

Games, like many other product, provide an experience. An experience that can be besmirched by paywalls, micro transactions and such.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

I'm sorry, but, no

I've observed this thread and you absolutely cannot make this statement when it's clear you're incapable of a mature grown up debate.

But just block anyone who dares to counter argue because that means you've won right? Good job, well done buddy.

This is what happens when people talk, discuss and read-up things only with people they agree with, they end up totally weak at debate and having their views challenged.

Also, some of your information is flat-out wrong and disproved, I feel like you haven't done much research and probably watched a couple YouTube videos or a couple articles (from probably only one source which you already agree with) and take them as gospel. Inform yourself before making such bold absolutist comments.

And this whole 'principle' thing is silly, it's just trying to act all superior but really it's hypocritical do-goodery where you're actually supporting numerous far worse situations daily but spend all your energy hating on and avoiding entertainment products just because of a few poor publisher decisions.

Thank you invisible man for your great wisdom. Where ever you may be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZeromusF4 said:

Do we know if its actually better than just a normal new game plus? Like extra content and stuff or are we just mad on principle?

4 hours ago, Deadsh0tdoubleG said:

That is what I am wondering myself. If there is a "NG+" like Nier Automata's Routes, it could be justified paying some extra money. However, I doubt it, otherwise why charge just 0.60 cents for it at launch? If it was filled with new content/loot/etc. they would have charged their standard fee from the get go.

This was the same thing I was wondering, and had confirmed that there is more to it. I also found a list of everything included in a Pushsquare comment:

"1. Premium New Game (Normal, Hard, and Ex-Hard difficulty options)
2. Super Final Millennium Tower (most difficult dungeon)
3. Newly added PlayStation Network trophies
4. Level-up your job rank to level 99
5. Use weapons forging to upgrade your weapons to “Kiwami”
6. Rare item shop added

7. Special Costume: “Hero” (Kasuga)
8. Special Costume: “Goro Majima Yakuza 0 Ver.” (Nanba)
9. Special Costume: “Kazuma Kiryu Yakuza 0 Ver.” (Adachi)
10. Special Costume: “Joon-gi Han Yakuza 6 Ver.” (Han)
11. Special Costume: “Daigo Dojima” (Tianyou Zhao)
12. Special Costume: “Haruka Sawamura” (Saeko)
13. Special Costume: “Kaoru Sayama” (Eri)

14. On-Hand Lunch Box (x5)
15. Reimen Lunch Box (x5)
16. Special Lunch Box (x5)
17. Eggs (x5)
18. Golden Eggs (x5)
19. Gattsuri Lunch Box (x5)
20. Homestyle Lunchbox (x5)
21. Luxury Kiwami Lunch Box (x5)
22. High-Quality Eggs (x5)"

If that's accurate, them charging a small fee for it doesn't sound so unreasonable to me. Sure, it would have been better if New Game+ had been separated from the rest of that, and been a free download. But what can you do? Not buy it if you feel that strongly about it, I guess? I didn't even use New Game+ in 0, because it wasn't an option, or would have voided the difficulty trophy.

• Like 1

The instant they get more recognition, they all start to get cocky and milk their loyal fanbase.

And people wonder why I'm not a fanboy who always has to say in every thread "well I liked that game". These kind of actions  are  the reason I stopped buying full price every single game, even the FF7Remake, who's tempting me everytime I check the main page of this site. No more.

• Like 4

On 4/14/2020 at 7:22 PM, StylerX01 said:

It does work. Voting with your wallet is the only thing that works nowadays.

also man, copy the BB code into the signature field, your trophy card isn’t showing with your current link.

Boycotts can work but they can also not work. Of course, this boycott would have to wait until Y7 is up for sale outside of Japan to matter, if it matters at all.  Then you'd need to communicate to Sega that said boycott is the reason they lost sales. Simply not buying games isn't really a clear message in and of itself. 

On 4/14/2020 at 7:57 PM, bosstristan said:

Yea it's downright pathetic, videogames have been going down the well these past few years.

I don't even want to imagine how new gen games will be. It'll basically be pay to X games like on mobile.

I've been saying this for a long time now.

Call me 'stuck in the past' or whatever, but I feel these corporations have become less and less consumer friendly over the years.

Look back at the PS2 era. You used to be able to find telephone numbers and website URLs for Customer Support in the game manuals and elsewhere. Ubisoft back then cared more for your support. Nowadays they couldn't care less. If their next Watch Dogs game flops, doesn't matter if a few million people bought the game. They still made a profit.

If people want to stop supporting a company, they need to speak with their wallets. I don't support EA. I bought Dead Space 1 & 2 and Titanfall 2 used at a retail store. If people want to tell me I've somehow helped EA by doing that, then free feel to debate with me on this. I rented Madden NFL 11 from Gamefly, so EA got nothing out of it.

I'm pretty concerned for the new gen as well. Time will tell, anything can happen.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:07 PM, Santa said:

Of course they have. The entire industry is a fucking mess. Full of lies, psychological manipulation and companies that follow not even the most basic ethical rules. Gambling (aka loot boxes) become "surprise mechanics". People with severe gambling issues are being ruthlessly exploited and called "whales".

But as long as millions of players still spend money on things that don't even exist yet (aka season passes), absolutely nothing will change.

I don't give a crap about the price of this DLC. It's about the shameless business practices! If you still don't understand this, well, then I'm afraid you're just plain stupid. And I feel sorry for you.

He made no attempt to insult you in the slightest.

Your perspective is in the clear, but how you treat others is something that I haven't seen you do well once the entire time I've seen you on these forums. I have seen you do nothing but insult people for having a different opinion. Just because you don't like their opinion, doesn't mean you get to silence them.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:36 AM, djb5f said:

Again, not buying the games only means they are more reliant on making up lost revenue with in-game transactions.  Backfire.

Employees have a choice where to work.  There are a handful of disgruntled employees at every company, never mind the training, experience, salary, or benefits they are receiving, they are going to be miserable wherever they work.  #EntitlementCulture.  But that does not fit the overly simplistic all corporations are bad and greedy rant.

Corporations can certainly have bad work environments and practices too and if they do, the better employees always move on to better opportunities.  

I do not like the micro-transaction practice but it is on the consumer as much as the company.

We saw with the demise of TellTale Games that Ubisoft was offering jobs for some of these people. But opportunities like that don't always come around, so you basically have to get them as soon as you can.

Working several years at Dollar Tree taught me that there are employees who will bitch about anything, and get fired in the process.

On 4/15/2020 at 5:39 AM, Santa said:

Do yourself an enormous favor and actually click on the links in this post. It seems that many of you have simply no idea what's really going on in the video games industry. Publishers are not your friends. They never have, they never will be.

This happens in all the entertainment mediums. Hollywood. The music industry. The television industry. Even the book industry. All of them have their fair share of con men and other worthless sacks of shit looking to cash in.

EA cashed in from the Dead Space franchise before they pulled the plug on Viscereal Games, just like they did with Westwood Studios and Maxis before them.

Corporate lawyers and executives aren't your friends either. Publishers are just a part of that group.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:23 AM, Santa said:

I find it kinda funny that so many people here are butthurt over someone pointing the finger at problems. What's wrong with you people? Stop living in a fantasy world! The video game industry is built upon false promises, lies, scammy business practices, manipulation, dehumanizing their customers and whatnot. That's the reality. EA, Sony, Nintendo and all the others don't give a shit about you. They never did. All they care about is money. ALL THE MONEY! And they will never ever stop. As long as you pre-order games, you're part of the problem. As long as you purchase vastly overpriced season passes before you even fucking know what's in it, you're part of the problem. As long as you naively believe that you actually own the stuff you purchase digitally, you're part of the problem. And as long as you keep shooting the messenger, things will only get worse.

Publishers only keep doing this because YOU entitle them to! If nobody would buy cheap plastic garbage made by Chinese slave labor they would simply not be made anymore. Every time you purchase a season pass you're giving those companies a thumbs up. You're voting with your wallet. It's that simple. Giving videos a dislike won't change anything. Posting angry comments on Twitter or Facebook won't change anything. Starting petitions WILL NOT CHANGE ANYTHING! Only NOT buying will actually change things.

Refer to my previous comment to you.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:29 AM, Elvick_ said:

I find it funny you’re virtue signalling so hard in a thread about something that is far less of problem then Sony forcing Japanese developers to converse in English with California in PS HQ time to release their games in Japan according to California’s  puritanical standards. The US dictating what is allowed in Japanese culture sounds a bit more of an issue than a crap dlc that I would never buy.

Sony has censored a lot of stuff coming from Japan into the States these past few years. This may of worked in the past, but at this point it's downright stupid to keep censoring shit. Then again, as someone who knows California fairly well, they got some pretty fucked up ideals there. The entire state is a sinking ship, for reasons I won't bother to go into on this thread.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:29 AM, Elvick_ said:

if you buy anything Sony or PlayStation you are part of the problem too. Your hands aren’t clean if you buy just about anything. Where’d you buy those used games? I bet those stores mistreat employees. I wonder how the factories of the game production treat employees. I wonder how truckers are treated (I don’t they’re treated like shit and run into the ground). Virtue signal elsewhere hypocrite, I’m not here for it. 

GameStop among other places. Talked to plenty of people there who have said they are one of the worst companies to work for.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:13 PM, bosstristan said:

Of course profit is part of it. But whatever business you're in, you need to find the perfect balance between customer satisfaction and profit. If we're following your reasoning, gastronomical restaurants wouldn't exists, only fast foods.

There has to be a balance. That's something a lot of corporate executives don't understand.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:41 AM, Santa said:

You're here for belittling others on the basis of your ignorance. Yes, we can see that. Nothing new. Ad hominem work for you, right?

By the way, truckers, really? "I don't wanna talk about problem A. Here's problem B. Nah nah nah." He says, she says. We're all a happy fameelee. Tee-hee.

Since you're simply not made for a grown up debate: Enjoy your stay on my block list. You're not worthy of my attention. :)

What I find funny is a 36 year old man on these forums is acting more immature than virtually everyone else on this thread.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

Wow there are a lot of angry people with opinions about Yakuza in this thread huh.

Just don't buy it. Game developers and publishers have clearly learned that people who like a game will pay to play more of it. The only way to prove them wrong is to not buy their DLC. Saying "rarr how dare Sega do this to us, what a terrible company, shame on them!" and then giving them money anyways says as much about you as about them.