Chapter Select in Hard Mode

A question I have for this.  While I know that items can't be used in this mode, if I were to tackle it and say, the Scorpion Sentinel as an example, is giving me a tough time, will the summon gauge show up then by any chance?  Or will it only show up Chapter 4 onwards?

Because I do plan on at least getting Bahamut before I try any of these chapters in hard mode (whether I can actually complete them or not is another thing), since I think Bahamut can hit like a truck.  At least that's what I'm assuming anyway xD

18 minutes ago, Felbehind said:

While playing through hard mode it seemed at random points Cloud couldn't use his summon Materia but my party members usually could, i don't think i was able to summon until Cloud gets the ability in the story-line.

Hmm, that is interesting.  So perhaps when I get Bahamut, I can just put it on someone else for the time being like Barret for the first mission and see what happens.

I was able to Summon Ifrit in the Scorpion Sentinel battle, but with Barret, I think Cloud could summon his too if I wanted, but I have had always Carbuncle on Cloud and was nearly done with Scorpion Sentinel, so I preferred the damage Summon. 

The thing with summons is that at several points during my initial playthrough I wasn't able to summon with whoever had "regular" summons equipped (Ifrit/Shiva, didn't got Leviathan or Bahamut, and never tried Fat Chocobo), but was always able to summon Carbuncle and Chocobo Chick.. I never understood why this was happening. 

Also, when I mean that I couldn't summon them, it was because the Summon option didn't show up at all gor whoever had them equipped, but at the same time the option would appear for those with the dlc summons, so it wasn't just a case of not having ATB to summon them. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon