New PSN Profiles for PS5

theSpirae

Some of my friends prefer to "start fresh" when a new console comes out and I've considering trying the same once PS5 comes out. What it means is basically you create a new profile for PS5 and keep playing your PS3/4 on your current profile.

Has anyone done it in the past or is considering it doing it now with PS5?

• Like 2

Never though about this, and probably won't do it, but understand the reasoning.

3 minutes ago, bpmotard said:

Why? I mean, I don't want to lose my 10 year history of memories and accomplishments. From my point of view, my profile is everything I was and what I am now, starting a new profile is saying goodbye to my all hard work invested on grinds and difficult trophies.

OP said the ideia was to have a separate profile for the PS5 and keep playing older platforms on the current one. I see nothing wrong with it even though I don't think I'd do it.

As a experiment, one could even go as far as to create a profile for PS3 exclusives, another one for VITA exclusives and so on. It would be fun to see.

Edited by fabmorais_2011
  • Like 4

The reason some people do it, when I asked them, was mainly to have one profile per console/generations or they have games on older profiles that can no longer be 100% and they are serious trophy hunters.

Personally, I don't think I will do it but it's an interesting idea and something to think about.

I didn't ask for specifics why they can't 100% certain games. I imagine it also might be due to bugs, multiplayer no longer available. I was just curious whether other people consider doing the same and by the looks of it no one here is ;)

I did this by accident when going to ps4 from ps3, I forgot my password so I couldn't put it on ps4 but because of auto login was fine on ps3. So for the longest time my two consoles had two separate accounts.

Until about two months ago where I found my password in a random ps3 game case literally the same day I connected my ps4 account to the ps3 accepting I could never use my ps3 account again because I logged it off.

Now my old ps3 account is a alt I dont know what to do with.

Edited by charxsetsuna

I mean you could do this if you are unhappy with your current profile and want to use this occasion to start over and get rid of whatever bothers you. If you keep playing both profiles however, all you are really achieving is splitting up your trophies over several accounts, making it harder to keep track of everything and not only dividing your total trophies over several generations of playstation. There are some ups to that of course, like having an excuse to replay some of your favorites if you want to feel rewarded by virtual bling again for replaying them, or getting a lot of possibilities to form the new profile completely to your liking, so if the downsides are not really affecting you personally I say go for it. Definitely is not something I would do, I want my profile to reflect most of my gaming choices and things I have experienced or accomplished in one profile, so thats a pass from me.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

I don't have any of my gaming history before PS3, or anything outside Playstation, so it's not like my profile paints a complete picture of my gaming history anyway. It would also be a good way to leverage the possibility of losing any of your digital purchases if you start making your PS5 purchases on a separate profile. There's definitely some perks for people who look at it for anything other than their compiled trophy data.

I may just start a separate profile to purchase PS5 games, but play them on my main account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theSpirae said:

Some of my friends prefer to "start fresh" when a new console comes out and I've considering trying the same once PS5 comes out. What it means is basically you create a new profile for PS5 and keep playing your PS3/4 on your current profile.

Why the hell would anybody do that? You will have to start all over again with trophies, won’t have that historic log in one place, and will lose access to your PS4 games which will be compatible (and potentially improved) with PS5. I’m a live and let live guy, fun is subjective etc, but this is just plain dumb.

edit: Ok, thinking about it, you could probably still play the PS4 games depending on how the whole “Primary” system will work on PS5, but I still don’t understand the appeal at all. Just lots of negatives.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 3

Apparently this is a controversial take, but makes sense to me. If you're itching to start a new account for whatever reason (probably either to shrink your backlog or because you have a new perspective on trophy hunting), the release of the PS5 is a good time to do it. I know I wanted a fresh start after a couple of years on the PS3 because I didn't know what trophies were up until that time. And as long as you're keeping your old account alive for access to digital purchases, I don't see a problem with it.

That said... No, I will not be going back.

3 hours ago, theSpirae said:

No,never

I did when I went from ps3 to ps4 for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, my ex & her kid put a number of games on my old account that I wasnt really interested in doing, or even seeing after we split.

2nd, i moved 6000 miles away, so good opportunity for a fresh start all around, and account name changes weren't even close to being a thing yet.

3rd, most of the games that I consider essential to my collection were/are being remastered, and I dont really care to have duplicates on my profile, so I can easily re-do most of the important titles from my ps3 days without having to deal with the clunkiness of my ps3 - I certainly don't miss taking 10 minutes to load my trophies on ps3

Edit - that said. No I wont be making a new profile for ps4. And I actually intend to, at some point in the future, dig my ps3 out of storage or get psnow to re-do the few remaining games that likely will never see a remaster version

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 2