Anyone else... disappointed?

Valkirye22

On 5/27/2020 at 7:13 AM, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Literally the first take on the game I’ve seen that isn’t giving it praise. It exceeds DOOM 2016 in every way imaginable, so I’m baffled as to why it’s not clicking with you. 

Go check steam. I wish they had waited, such a waste of potential. If this game was so much better than 2016 why is it on sale 3 months after release and more dead than Predator? Hopefully they give us what we want like a Real MP with TDM CTF DM and some other modes in the updates. I wouldn't mind a horde mode or Coop missions. I'd give it 9/10. If they let Mick redo the mixes then a 10/10 also release a CD version of the soundtrack instead of that overpriced Vinyl.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The ammo/health system killed it for me (having to get it off creatures instead of finding it in the environment). Meant constantly having to run around like an idiot instead of playing tactically and being able to approach fights with careful thought (like in the originals).

As someone who enjoys COD, I found the MP direction bizarre too. Does anyone actually prefer that weird 2 on 1 to a proper TDM?

• Like 1

No, not at all. I loved Doom Eternal. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the ammo system. If you were having to Chainsaw a fodder enemy every 15 seconds for ammo, then you weren't varying up your weapon usage enough. What I did was assign a certain weapon/ammo type to only a handful of enemies. That way, I wouldn't be running out of one specific ammo type all the time because I'd be killing the enemies for a certain ammo type and then moving onto another ammo type to deal with another handful of enemy types.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 7:17 PM, AtaraxicDream said:

Go check steam. I wish they had waited, such a waste of potential. If this game was so much better than 2016 why is it on sale 3 months after release and more dead than Predator? Hopefully they give us what we want like a Real MP with TDM CTF DM and some other modes in the updates. I wouldn't mind a horde mode or Coop missions. I'd give it 9/10. If they let Mick redo the mixes then a 10/10 also release a CD version of the soundtrack instead of that overpriced Vinyl.

You're mad over the Multiplayer? Seriously? Who gives a shit about the MP it's all about the SP.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

You're mad over the Multiplayer? Seriously? Who gives a shit about the MP it's all about the SP.

I expected more. I am open to change my opinion on the game based on what they do with it in the future. At launch it was not worth 60-150$.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/5/2020 at 9:15 PM, AtaraxicDream said:

I expected more. I am open to change my opinion on the game based on what they do with it in the future. At launch it was not worth 60-150$.

Well you’re the only person I’ve seen with that sentiment. I think it was worth every penny and then some. Pumped for the DLC.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Well you’re the only person I’ve seen with that sentiment. I think it was worth every penny and then some. Pumped for the DLC.

He's not, you're repeating yourself. There are several on this thread alone - me being one of them - otherwise DOOM fans that had issues with Eternal on one point (SP) or the other (MP).

I'm glad you fully enjoyed it and found it fun and worth extending into DLC territory, but there is a fairly strong sentiment among some that it was a step down from 2016.

"Not great, not terrible" to quote a particular show

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

As my first Doom game, I'm really loving it. Combat is pretty fun and engaging..lots of folk arguing about ammo management being boring, but I think it's pretty fun to run around like a madman on cocaine looking for fodder demons to chainsaw. Can't wait to platinum it and check the 2016 game.

• 3 months later...

Liked Doom 2016 much more.

This game is a boring routine inside a routine. Cool plataform sections then a boring arena, where you shoot your ammo out, chainsaw some imp, kill everything and move on.

The 2016 was much better, with the enemies in the corridors, rooms or just prowling around. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2020 at 2:51 PM, NekoRave said:

Well the game has way more enemies and its combat is geared towards a fluid combo like system.

Its not traditional in any aspect.

That being said I wish there was a genuine classic mode remake of these.

Like a in game mode that modifies ammo drops to specific enemy types.

All in all the games great I think it just takes getting used to, I wouldnt say disappointment I just think its vastly different than doom 1993 expectations I had.

My only gripe with this game is that for some fucking reason bethesda.net RANDOMLY glitched my friends email some fucking how onto my acc when his acc was already linked and you cant fucking UNLINK THE FUCKING ACC without having to dispute it and when you do bethesda doesnt even know how to do it so its just like what the fuck man.

That irritates me more than the game is the fact you cant just say this account isnt me but you need to submit a ticket and hope for customer service to fix this.

God that just boils me to no end.

same here but with EA, anything that needs a main account ea login i cant play. like sims for example i cant download any maps. been trying to get them to correctly link my ea account since battlefield 3 came out and they fucked it up. i cant get into my old email from 10 years ago and yet they keep thinking i can. they should be able to tell my last login hasnt been in a decade

• Like 1

I love doom games, and this is the best imo, it's a balls to the wall 360 degree combat simulator and it's satisfying, more so then any other single player fps from recent memory because of the overall presentation, crazyness that erupts in the map and the music all together. i thought 2016 was ok and the mp was good but this is better sp just with not as good mp.

i get some people wanted structured levels, so did I but what i got with this I loved just as much if not more in the end.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

it's just not a well designed game. ammo and health deplete almost instantly, especially in the early stages. most of the arenas are too cramped to make the most of the constant run and gun necessary for survival (and fun). the marauder is a horrendously designed enemy, whoever decided that the best way to spice up a doom game was to put a dark souls boss where you have to do nothing but stand around and wait for him to attack needs serious therapy. it has it's moments where it reaches doom 2016 levels but they are few and far between, it's mostly a slog

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

A bit late to the party but gotta vent somewhere. I knew there was more platforming, but why the hell am I playing a Mirror's Edge game? Why is a game that's supposed to be fast paced constantly making me stop to look where I should go/jump next? Why do I have to solve a "puzzle" that shouldn't be there and see a Resident Evil-esque cutscene of a statue breaking through a wall? I really don't get it. If Eternal was renamed to Boom and featured a different character with a similar story, it would be called a good game that borrowed some things from Doom 2016. I'm not saying Eternal is bad. I'm not that far into it, but so far it's just not a Doom game... Where is the mindless running and gunning? When the killing FINALLY starts, I'm more focused on my ammo/health count than on the actual action. Being the badass with a fuel-regenerating chainsaw and multiple very heavy weapons in my pocket, I somehow can't hold just a bit more ammo. It clicks a bit with time, but still kills the vibe. And it makes every battle feel like a bit of a puzzle. Get ammo. Get health. This weapon for that demon and so on. Doom 2016 encouraged you to play in a certain, aggressive way to succeed. Eternal brutally forces you to fill out a spreadsheet for each batte, with grenades in every mouth and plasma on every shield and punishes you for trying to play in your own way. Honestly... Again, it's not a bad game by any means, but personally it's the most disappointing game I've played this generation. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Agree with the people disappointed in this heap that loved Doom 2016. This game was a massive disappointment and I dislike the dlc even more. It's like they knew what people disliked the most and added more. Hate platforming? Here is more!!!! Hate the marauder? Here is all the marauders!!!!! Want a stupid eye in the box boss battle with infinite spawning enemies that's uninspired and feels out of place? You're getting it anyway! Gotta give it to them though, they knew this would probably cost them a lot of sales and did it anyway and that's dedication. 

• Confused 1

They probably implemented the new ammo system because telemtry told them people were not touching the chainsaw often enough so to push for more balanced weapon type usage, DOOM Eternal ended up being what it is.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15.4.2020 at 8:42 PM, Valkirye22 said:

So stellar reviews of this pretty much everywhere - I finally got to play it and in this self isolation drought it was more than welcome but... after 4ish hours I just stopped and didn't have the need to go back.

I absolutely loved DOOM, I think I replayed it 3 times in a couple of days not even thinking about trophies and stuff just going through it, rip and tear and the same silly fun factor that Wolfenstein TNO had (that also equally disappeared with TNC/YB). This just feels off.

The ammo system is abysmal, honestly one thing I don't want to care about in this game is the ammo except if its for the BFG or chainsaw. Now it's a mandatory gimmick that takes you out of your element and just forces you to break your chains/streaks and go find something weak to get ammo. And by ammo it is about 15 seconds worth of it before you need to do it again and half of the upgrades are addressing some of these traversal, movement, ammo elements etc. that shouldn't even be the problem.

Also the maps feel completely unintuitive, the ones I reached, something that was a non-issue in the first (new) installment.

I'm not bashing the game here, it clearly works for a lot of people just trying to get a discussion going and see if anyone feels the same or do I just have an overly powerful feeling for the first one?

Thinking of it, I just might get it again and play that.

man so glad to read this because I 100% feel the same. This game is utterly boring. I don't know why I hate this game that much since I really played ALL Doom and I even loved the 2016 Doom but this... it looks gorgeous, the guns, amazing sound as well but this game offers nothing but tons of enemies to kill. I hoped the dlc gets better but it's even worse. I will finish this 100% once it's done I probably will never again play another Doom.  

If I compare this to Doom 3 for example, man that was such an amazing game with thrilling horror elements, a nice level architecture and jump scares. Doom Eternal is nothing more than an empty shell for me and I am really sad about this since I really want to love this game. 

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Confused 1