Anyone else... disappointed?

Valkirye22

l was pretty disappointed as well. I loved every bit of Doom 2016 but Eternal was such a meeeeeeeh to me for few reasons.
First, game is way too hard. Before any of you says " git gud " let me stop you there. It was not like too hard l cannot play. It was too hard so l did not feel like l was playing as Doom guy ( overpowered ) even on lowest difficulty game failed to make me feel that way because your health and armor can drop 0 in an instant.
Second, platforming. I mean, do l even have to explain? Hello? This is Doom, thanks.
Thirdly, chainsaw thing. It got super repetitive after a while whenever l am right in the action l had to look for some lamest demons so l can cut them in two in order to have my ammo back. 
The only good thing l could say about game was weapon mods. It felt nice but rest was such a disappointment. 

• Confused 1

I loved both Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. Doom 3 had a slower, survival horror pace. Doom 2016 reverted back to the faster pacing of Dooms 1 and 2. Doom Eternal cranked everything up to 11.

My opinion is that this must be played on higher difficulties to get the intended experience. The issue is to survive on higher difficulties you have to be sprinting and Airbourne all the time whilst being accurate and changing weapons on the fly. 

Very difficult / impossible to do with a controller. I think this game was intended to be played with a keyboard and mouse.

I played the main campaign on the highest (non permadeath) difficulty and it was a blast. I used the hori tac assault commander keyboard and mouse attachment for PS4. I still died a lot but I felt myself actually progressing through each encounter through each attempt. Using flame belch and glory kill to get armour health an instant before death was exhilarating. 

• Like 1

eternal was amazing., story was fun and easy to follow, i loved reading every single collectible and soaking up the lore. combat was amazing my only gripe with the base game is 2 things, first the tacked on shitty MP should have been scrapped or done properly. and the base game levels started off good, and ended good but there's a bit in the middle where it stagnates for a while, just throws the same enemies at you again and again even though you've fought new more powerful enemies in slayer gates up to this point.

combat is fast and fluid and mamazing when you master it, and the dlc is fucking mental. I absolutely love this game and to see some of the criticisms it's getting from people in here is pretty damn pathetic. imo.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DavySuicide said:

If I compare this to Doom 3 for example, man that was such an amazing game with thrilling horror elements, a nice level architecture and jump scares. Doom Eternal is nothing more than an empty shell for me and I am really sad about this since I really want to love this game. 

How opinions can differ.

DOOM 3 is the worst of them all in my book.

DOOM, for me, is not about thrilling horror and jump scares, it's about ripping and tearing, metal soundtrack, gore, blood, mindless violence and awesome weaponry! Ultimate Power Fantasy!

Try DOOM 64 for one of the best, if not THE best, pre-DOOM 2016 DOOMs.

That being said, I love DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal, I think they are absolutely awesome!

• Like 4

For me Doom has always been about killing demons and doing it with big ass guns, Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 64, Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal all fit that bill for me. I will say though in my honest opinion that Doom 3 is a much worse Doom game than Eternal but does not mean it is a bad game by far, if anyone says that Doom Eternal has too much story then you haven't played Doom 3, that game was story driven in a much bigger way than Eternal will ever be.

That isn't to say that Eternal didn't have issues, some of the level designs were a little off and I don't mean with the wall climbing, personally from the last DLC I did not enjoy the 2nd level much at all and was happy it was finished it and while I loved how the chainsaw was handled in 2016 and Eternal I did not like how in Eternal the BFG and the Unmakyr's ammo were handled, much perfered the 2016 way of having a chance of it dropping from chainsaws but that is just a minor issue I have with the game.

• Like 3

I thought the game itself (gameplay, music, graphics, etc..) are all great, but the game overstay its welcome. it becomes a chore towards the later missions. I think they should've cut the missions down

as for the multiplayer, it's absolute trash, that's why I've yet to get the platinum 

10 hours ago, Sylvanticore said:

For me Doom has always been about killing demons and doing it with big ass guns, Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 64, Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal all fit that bill for me. I will say though in my honest opinion that Doom 3 is a much worse Doom game than Eternal but does not mean it is a bad game by far, if anyone says that Doom Eternal has too much story then you haven't played Doom 3, that game was story driven in a much bigger way than Eternal will ever be.

That isn't to say that Eternal didn't have issues, some of the level designs were a little off and I don't mean with the wall climbing, personally from the last DLC I did not enjoy the 2nd level much at all and was happy it was finished it and while I loved how the chainsaw was handled in 2016 and Eternal I did not like how in Eternal the BFG and the Unmakyr's ammo were handled, much perfered the 2016 way of having a chance of it dropping from chainsaws but that is just a minor issue I have with the game.

for me doom 3 was amazing, i loved it and the version i played last year on ps4, the re-release of the bfg edition felt perfect, very fun and challenging i really enjoyed it, but i've always loved it and it's dlc, for me doom 2016 was the biggest step backwards the series ever took.

it went from trying to be dark serious horror, but not getting it right, to cartoony looking cheese. i finished it but didn't appreciate it till later, when i went for every trophy and invested into the great multiplayer.  eventually it grew on me but it's my least favourite. eternal just adds a whole host of things that came from other games from 10 years ago orso and expanded upon flying wild hog's combat loop formula, and with the music just made one hell of a game.

i loved ancient gods, i imagine this new one will be just as good.

14 hours ago, Sicho said:

How opinions can differ.

DOOM 3 is the worst of them all in my book.

DOOM, for me, is not about thrilling horror and jump scares, it's about ripping and tearing, metal soundtrack, gore, blood, mindless violence and awesome weaponry! Ultimate Power Fantasy!

Try DOOM 64 for one of the best, if not THE best, pre-DOOM 2016 DOOMs.

That being said, I love DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal, I think they are absolutely awesome!

I agree with you in terms of violence, gore and mindless shooting, at all! I am 40 and played Doom when it originally came out. I played them all, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein etc and that's why they always have a place in my heart. 2016 worked for me the same way, but as soon as I play Eternal for 10 minutes I fall asleep and my only thought is "when can I switch this out"? I can't even explain why but this game feels so boring, so dull, so repetetive... don't know. I needed month for the platinum because I could not force myself to end this lame game. It's just how I feel and I can't even say why it is so but it seems I am not the only one who has issues with this sequel. I  gonna finish the second dlc now asap and thiswill probably be the last Doom I ever played. 

And Doom 3 was different, yes but it works extremely well because what they did was amazing. When this game originally came out on PC it was a game changer in terms of graphics and gameplay. I remember when I first saw the gameplay footage it looked so unreal and I thought "this can't be gameplay, this MUST be a rendered movie or so" :D it felt like a new step in the series and since I love Horror I was totally into this. But as you said opinions differ, I do respect every opinion as long as someone has a point ^^ 

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Confused 1

On 3/19/2021 at 5:37 AM, DavySuicide said:

I agree with you in terms of violence, gore and mindless shooting, at all! I am 40 and played Doom when it originally came out. I played them all, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein etc and that's why they always have a place in my heart. 2016 worked for me the same way, but as soon as I play Eternal for 10 minutes I fall asleep and my only thought is "when can I switch this out"? I can't even explain why but this game feels so boring, so dull, so repetetive... don't know. I needed month for the platinum because I could not force myself to end this lame game. It's just how I feel and I can't even say why it is so but it seems I am not the only one who has issues with this sequel. I  gonna finish the second dlc now asap and thiswill probably be the last Doom I ever played. 

And Doom 3 was different, yes but it works extremely well because what they did was amazing. When this game originally came out on PC it was a game changer in terms of graphics and gameplay. I remember when I first saw the gameplay footage it looked so unreal and I thought "this can't be gameplay, this MUST be a rendered movie or so" :D it felt like a new step in the series and since I love Horror I was totally into this. But as you said opinions differ, I do respect every opinion as long as someone has a point ^^ 

I think it's because you need a direction in theese types of games, levels to progress through and areas to explore. Eternal is a visceral, pulse pounding 360 degree combat simulator, nothing more. it shines when you headset up and listen to the roar of the tunes as you stylishly mow down everything in pure badass fashion, the real treat of the game though, is when you push yourself into harder difficulties and start pulling off shit you had no idea you could do. and the satisfaction you feel for pushing yourself, the cube boss from dlc on hard difficulty was ridiculous but i did it after 4 hours.

i've seen many, what i'd call pretty lame criticisms of this game from people but yours is a genuine one imo also, because they could have had excellent arena fights in a game with more structure, they just chose not to for whatever reason. for me my most memorable part of eternal is after you get slapped about and figure that mental boss out you go up into an elevator to end the level and find fuckin 2 of them! i literally paused the game for an hr so i could take my head for a shit.

• Like 1

I played abit of eternal and it feels to me bad in terms of the ammo system and the entrapment parts and platforming. I found all the new dooms to me are not really like doom games more or less serious sam like games but with a doom skin over it, sure the doomguy is there and sure there is the demons and guns but the way it plays is not really doom to me. It is fun but I feel people have blown this games hype train too much as if you dare say anything wrong people get too pissy. Am all for change I mean look at Wolfenstein new order and old blood, great games and great wolfenstein games but wolfenstein 2 and young blood are just trash wolfenstein games as they feel too much like their own games then a real wolfenstein game.

The series I feel that went back and made a good improvement is resident evil, 7 was good better than 6 or revelations 2 and 2 remake was good too, but the series that kept what it was and knows what it is doing is Devil May Cry, it always has stayed to what it did well and not changing too much.

Edited by KANERKB
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a tad bit disappointed in this , not sure what it is.. the MP felt lacking and 3 players doesn’t bring much excitement. A game like this I thought the MP would be the highlight. 

I prefer 2016 but can’t put my finger on why. It wasn’t hard , but it wasn’t easy ..I had to force myself to finish this game. The platforming was a bit repetitive and mostly unnecessary. Anyway , I don’t hate it but.. it could have been better.

Doom 2016(PS4) was my first doom and it completely changed the way i think about FPS. what i once thought was a mindless shoot em up, turned out to be something far more in depth, granted you wanna crank the difficulty. ultra nightmare/master levels are meant to test your mind and your hands, and you gotta have both to succeed. and on console, it is quite a challenge.

while yes, on the lower levels, the chainsaw may seem a bit of a chore, but on ultra nightmare, it is an essential.  giving yourself a few frames of invulnerability can make or break a fight.  it allows you to quickly plan out your next move while possibly dodging an attack.  ammo should not be an issue if your using the correct weapons and landing shots on the enemy to be slayed, and not just using the super shotgun and rockets. diversifying your weapons used really stretches out the ammo.  as for "needing to break away from a fight to find fodder," you absolutely can ignore fodder during the fights an they will usually flock to you giving you ample flame/chainsaw targets(honestly, usually there's a bigger threat in the room, and doom developers gave us the mobility to dance around a good number of enemies).     

i enjoyed the story, graphics, and art.  the lore in the game goes to great lengths to tie this universe to doom guys the easter eggs are great (check out the book shelf on the doom ship for a few laughs).  

the game is long but we gotta get some sort of replayability out of it.  mp is insanely hard as the doomslayer, but like after a few rounds you start to figure out how to move around and how little damage the demons do.  its still really hard, but it makes you way better at tracking multiple targets.  

the dlc is when things get repetitive for me.  i thought the stories were cool as fuck but the enemies and levels were regurgitated. the hammer was cool, way op, and not necessary in my opinion, give us the crucible, and give us more new demons (not same demons with armor and weapon mandates).  

i love this game, i love the challenge, and i love to rip and tear...

i really like this game, i thought they continued the story in a very cinematic way, and gave us control over the carnage.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite runes is the Chrono Strike that can be used to slow time while you jump. IMO it's good for breaking off a Revenant's twin rocket launchers or an Arachnotron's turret with the heavy cannon's precision bolt. The SSG meathook is great especially once you master it, which gives it the ability to light enemies on fire. Not a bad way to get some armor in a pinch if the flame belch is still cooling down. I've been playing on the PC version, but later I'll get back to the PS4 one. I wish they'd add keyboard and mouse support to the console versions, like Activision has started doing with their CoD titles.

I love the plasma rifle's microwave beam. Try using it to lock an enemy in place and throw two frags at him, then keep him pinned until they go off. You can make short work of some enemies like this. Don't get the heat blast until you have this mod.

It's different, but still Doom to me. The arena battles and buying upgrades for weapons remind me a bit of Hard Reset, another game I like. For a classic Doom game, Doom 64 covers that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's not too hard. I've finished the PC version on Ultra-Violence (using K&M instead of a controller) and have only a few items left to find before the 100%. K&M helps with quick-switching. IMO, id Software should add K&M to the console versions.

The shield demons, Marauders, aren't really a problem. SSG and ballista are good on them. Here's someone's video of how to kill a Marauder in 30 seconds or less.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Finally got round to playing it (I'm at level 5 now)

MP was a boring pile of shit

The campaign takes the thing I hated most about Doom 2016 and adds more of it.... the fucking awful platforming.  I loved Doom 2016 but felt the platforming ruined what was otherwise a great game, this game adds more of that shit.

The ammo system is fucking retarded, I hate it with a passion.  This game has become micro-management the game.  I want a fun shooter like 2016, not this resource management platforming crap.

Story isn't that great either, what happened to the simpler times when Doom Guy was just out for revenge, not this whole Sentinels, Maykr blah blah blah, I love stories in games, but this just isn't interesting.

Overall the game is a huge step back from 2016 :/

I almost forgot the god awful 'encounters', hey here's a tiny room, it'd be a shame if the doors closed and we spawned a bunch of enemies in there with you.... over and over again....

Edited by Dark_Overlord
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...

I loved Doom 2016 but enough time had passed that I had forgotten what I didn't like about it. It has long, empty sections of platforming/collectible finding interspersed with big room horde mode battles. Eternal ramps those criticisms up for me. The boost jumping sections are terrible and feel weird in a doom game. The story doesn't tell you anything at the start as what he is doing and why and it rarely gets clearer from there. 

I don't mind the limited ammo, the chainsaw is fine and all, but the game is forcing you to use the new tools (which in my first playthrough on normal I either forgot to use or didn't use).

It has some awful enemies (Marauders) that aren't fun to fight.

The multiplayer is the epitome of MP for MP sake and it is a terrible mode.

However, the speed, visuals, mechanics/handling and gore/violence are all top notch for a shooter as they come. Mick Gordon also didn't disappoint.

If they are doing another - keep MP out of it and leave that for a Quake reboot.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I didn’t get the same level of enjoyment from Doom Eternal as I did with Doom 2016 but then I think the sequel was always at a disadvantage.

Doom 2016 was such a revitalised take on the game that a sequel couldn’t have the same level of impact. It could only follow in the footsteps of the previous game. 

The most underwhelming aspect for me was the story but that’s not why I play Doom and with Doom Eternal having its convoluted narrative, it kinda detracts from the core essence of what I enjoy about Doom. 

• 2 months later...

Doom eternal is a big step down from 2016. Too much platforming, constantly running out of ammo with the new system, getting stuck in corners trying to constantly keep moving so you don't get melted in six seconds because doom guy feels severely weak. 2016 was a much better experience. Plus whoever thought of the marauder need to be fired 

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not a fan of Doom Eternal. Even on the easiest difficulty level it kicks your ass and pushes you to the limit. Since Tarad Nabad, I had to actively reload the game to save my extra lives. Because if you lose them all - it is the end of the game. A very exciting experience... Died 1-2 times? Restore from backup. Completed the sequence? Backup the game... I can't image how I would pass the last boss without spending almost all of 10 backup extra lives. I would call it a bad game design. Very skilled players will disagree I guess. But only 11% of players managed to complete the game - it shows that the game was difficult/not interesting for the other 89%. So I think the balance is sick. It is still doable for low-skill players,  but it will be a pain in the ass. And all those ridiculous puzzles / unnecessary platforming... In some times I had to google instead of playing (I'm not too good at puzzles as well)

Edited by Rabinger
  • Confused 1

2016 is still fantastic - and easily one of my favorite FPS games -, but I think that Eternal - despite some of its flaws - is the better game by far. Or at least gameplay-wise, anyway. I also don't think that 2016 is as great as people remember (perhaps partially due to the impact it had when it first came out) because it's honestly a tad boring at times and difficult to go back to after playing Eternal, but that's just me. lol I really liked the larger emphasis on horror and atmosphere in 2016, but the speed, gore, glory kills, and difficulty of Eternal made it way more fun to play. The platforming was obviously even more annoying than it was in 2016, and there's a few other unnecessary changes and additions as well (way too many collectibles being one of them). Otherwise the game isn't even that hard. If anything 2016 was too easy, so maybe the difficulty spike between the two is more noticeable to some people as a result? I don't understand how it could be a "massive disappointment" unless you're either just bad at the game (and yet I'm not great at it either lmao) or just wanted the exact same game again. Not liking it quite as much - especially because of certain mechanics or changes - is one thing, but some of the posts in here seem like an overreaction to me. 😕

Battlemode is mid, though, but I don't really care for the multiplayer in Doom regardless so... The second DLC was also disappointing (gameplay and level design was probably hit hard due to COVID, unfortunately), and the twist with Davoth - while interesting - made things way too convoluted. Story in a game like Doom isn't necessarily important, but I found the story in the main game and first DLC enjoyable and engaging in their own way and so seeing how much of mess things got with the second DLC onwards was frustrating to say the least.

Edited by Zephrese