Most popular game ever?

Hi everyone! I am just curious about something. Right now PSNProfiles shows the game as being recently played by 17.1k people (in PSNP main page, that is).

My question is... Has there ever been a game with so many players within its first week in the site?

Hell, not even a week has passed!

There has been enough hype for the game to take this course, after 5 years of waiting. I suppose that's the reason. What do you think?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gray-Fox-44 said:

Hi everyone! I am just curious about something. Right now PSNProfiles shows the game as being recently played by 17.1k people (in PSNP main page, that is).

My question is... Has there ever been a game with so many players within its first week in the site?

Hell, not even a week has passed!

There has been enough hype for the game to take this course, after 5 years of waiting. I suppose that's the reason. What do you think?

If I remember correctly Monster Hunter World and Red Dead Redemption 2 had a lot as well, don't remember the numbers though.

5 minutes ago, UnstoppableRock1 said:

The God of War PS4 reboot had something close to 15 thousand concurrent players iirc 

TLoU's number was also really high

That's good. Actually I expect FFVIIR to reach 20k within the rest of this first week. I believe it's unstoppable.

6 minutes ago, DemonicDraco said:

Its only real competition is RE which is a bit low because it is 2 games and kinda short so id imagine lots beat it and moved on.

RE3R had its peak at about 9.5k, but not in the first few days. It took it at least a whole week to get there, and then it went down as RE Resistance started moving up.

3 minutes ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

If I remember correctly Monster Hunter World and Red Dead Redemption 2 had a lot as well, don't remember the numbers though.

Let's see if someone else remembers those numbers! ;)

So I used the search bar and have found two weekly player numbers mentioned so far. Both are 30k.

First game is Monster Hunter World:

Second one is RDR2:

Edit: the phrase I searched for was "recent players".

Edited by Alderriz

2 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

I'd assume CoD, GTA and RDR would have more players even on this site. If we're talking about popularity in general then there's no way FFVII is the most popular game of all time.

Oh no, I didn't mean in general, but as for 1st week of launch AND on this site. That excludes millions of people who are not registered here. Sorry if I click-baited you! :P

What do you think now that I have explained myself?

14 minutes ago, Gray-Fox-44 said:

That's good. Actually I expect FFVIIR to reach 20k within the rest of this first week. I believe it's unstoppable.

RE3R had its peak at about 9.5k, but not in the first few days. It took it at least a whole week to get there, and then it went down as RE Resistance started moving up.

Let's see if someone else remembers those numbers! ;)

Just sayin relatively weak competition plus quarantine plus console exclusivity its bound to be on top, if the REs were console exclusives they'd probably be higher.

I doubt the numbers haven't been higher but I honestly dont pay much attention. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alderriz said:

So I used the search bar and have found two weekly player numbers mentioned so far. Both are 30k.

First game is Monster Hunter World:

Second one is RDR2:

Edit: the phrase I searched for was "recent players".

Nice finding! I'll try to analyze something here...

MHW was released on January 26th, and the post was created on February 9th. That means 15 days out on the streets. Pretty awesome.

The post about RDR2 just mentions the 30k amount, but it was created far after release, so I cannot even guess :P

By the way, the same thread mentions GoW hitting 30k within the first week! Freaking crazy!

Can FFVIIR outrun these one? Only time can tell ;)

1 minute ago, DemonicDraco said:

Just sayin relatively weak competition plus quarantine plus console exclusivity its bound to be on top, if the REs were console exclusives they'd probably be higher.

I doubt the numbers haven't been higher but I honestly dont pay much attention. 

I got to agree on that one. Exclusivity pays off.

• Like 1

This isn’t even close to the most popular game of all time and just about every game that has massive hype around It or any type of exclusive has a bunch of players playing it. Also as others have mentioned there is no competition for it right now and everyone is In quarantine Making more people able to play right now. The last of us part 2, ghost, cyberpunk 2077 and maybe a couple of others will all put up the same numbers if not even better when they release later this year.

33 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

This isn’t even close to the most popular game of all time and just about every game that has massive hype around It or any type of exclusive has a bunch of players playing it. Also as others have mentioned there is no competition for it right now and everyone is In quarantine Making more people able to play right now. The last of us part 2, ghost, cyberpunk 2077 and maybe a couple of others will all put up the same numbers if not even better when they release later this year.

Thanks for replying! Again, I am not asking about general popularity, just massive amounts of players in THIS site within the first week/weeks from release.

I agree, many other games rank up in that list! Still waiting to see how far this one will ascend...

Edited by Gray-Fox-44
Grammar :P

That number is only people registered to this site. Actual sales numbers are much higher.

Also if I recall that number only counts people registering a trophy within the last 24 hours so won't count people playing the game offline (since it is an offline only game)

As very popular as FF7 is, it's still a niche game for many people, and things like GTA and Call Of Duty are likely to be more popular.

Plus there are likely many people who don't have the game delivered to their door/waiting for a discount/waiting for the next weekend if it got delivered during this week etc.

Around 10000 within the first day is certainly impressive though.

Edited by enaysoft

4 hours ago, Gray-Fox-44 said:

Oh no, I didn't mean in general, but as for 1st week of launch AND on this site. That excludes millions of people who are not registered here. Sorry if I click-baited you! :P

What do you think now that I have explained myself?

I still don't think it'll come out over games like RDR2 or GTA V, but MHW was very surprising, so you never know. The quarantine might also be helping how popular the game is here for its first week. I know I probably would have held off on it if there wasn't a quarantine going on.

Here’s a post I made in one of the above threads.

I decided to do some digging using the Wayback Machine and here are some figures I found.

Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS3) released September 17 2013.

Players on September 21 - 48,476

Players on September 24 - 72,388

Players on September 26 - 59,988

Destiny released September 9 2014.

Players on September 12 - 16,373

Players on September 17 - 39,814

Players on September 22 - 34,388

The Last Of Us (PS3) released June 14 2013.

Players on June 21 - 22,410

Players on June 24 - 25,145

Players on June 29 - 23,593

Bloodborne released March 24 to 27 2015.

Players on March 28 - 10,711

Players on April 2 - 26,102

Players on April 7 - 25,006

GTA5 clearly makes FF7R look like a drop in the ocean. Also the quarantine won’t be helping pad the numbers necessarily because here in NZ the only way to buy a video game at the moment is digitally as all physical stores are closed which means if you don’t buy it digitally you’ll be waiting to play it.

• Like 3

GTA V would probably be the biggest.  Red Dead 2 would be up there also but the most impressive game I have seen in the top 10 would be Assassins Creed Odyssey.  It has not left the top 10 since its release and is still hanging on.

To clear up any confusion or misunderstanding, the recent players is in no way an indication of how strong the player base is. 

The recent players tracking is solely based on whether trophies were earnt or not during that week. 

This is why games like COD or GTA 5 which has millions of users do not show up here due to how old they are