Using a wheel...?

doctor_crusader

Hi. I am one of the few who could still plat this game, but I am stuck with the GOLD STANDARD trophy (obviously). To tell the truth I can’t even complete Suzuka with a decent time to finish the Sebastian Vettel challenge. I have only used the ps3 standard controller so far. Question is: in your opinion could the use of a wheel shave off those 18 seconds I still need or I am just a very bad player and I should abandon my hopes forever? In other words: is platinum possible with a standard controller?

Edited by doctor_crusader

Im in the same boat as you in that I only need the Gold Standard trophy for the platinum. I play with a DS3 controller and don't own a wheel.  I was never exceptionally good at the game and many years ago I made the push to grind through the A spec and B spec leveling.  Last year, after a several year hiatus I decided to pick it back up again, and I managed to get gold on every race/license/event except for the 3 Sebastian Vettel X events.  I only tried them a few times but after reading repeatedly how difficult they were online I decided to take a break from the game again before making that last push for plat.  I keep telling myself I'm going to put the disc back in and focus on trying to complete it, but I always get distracted.

I wish you the best of luck!!

3 minutes ago, Misbik said:

Im in the same boat as you in that I only need the Gold Standard trophy for the platinum. I play with a DS3 controller and don't own a wheel.  I was never exceptionally good at the game and many years ago I made the push to grind through the A spec and B spec leveling.  Last year, after a several year hiatus I decided to pick it back up again, and I managed to get gold on every race/license/event except for the 3 Sebastian Vettel X events.  I only tried them a few times but after reading repeatedly how difficult they were online I decided to take a break from the game again before making that last push for plat.  I keep telling myself I'm going to put the disc back in and focus on trying to complete it, but I always get distracted.

I wish you the best of luck!!

So I must suppose that you haven’t tried using a wheel yet. Best of luck to you too, friend! ?

I would say keep practicing with the controller. Buying a fightstick isn't going to make you better at a fighting game. Will likely just set you backwards having to re-learn stuff you were already fairly comfortable with. I could see buying a wheel bringing the same results. 

41 minutes ago, skateak said:

I would say keep practicing with the controller. Buying a fightstick isn't going to make you better at a fighting game. Will likely just set you backwards having to re-learn stuff you were already fairly comfortable with. I could see buying a wheel bringing the same results. 

I see you have GT5 on your list but haven’t gotten to this stage yet. Every guide I’ve read says switching to a wheel is the only way to really get these trophies unless you have the appropriate patches to glitch the tracks. The controller in this case is simply incapable of the precise needs for the times in these races for all but the most skilled. Switching to the wheel doesn’t make the game easy but it does provide more leeway for players.