Yars Revenge

One of the most difficult trophies in this collection involves scoring 300,000 in Yars Revenge. Even with cloud saving this is extremely difficult, the destroyer missile is far too swift and fast, in later levels the neutral zone is gone, leaving you to dodge constantly up and down.

Hitting a moving Swirl with the Zorlon Cannon.... easier said than done. I've put in a solid two hours or so on this and I've hit the Swirl maybe 3 - 5 times, that's right, only 3 - 5 times. According to the manual, hitting that moving Swirl will net you 6000 points plus an extra life, extremely important later on. The problem, and what makes this so difficult, is the Zorlon Cannon moves with Yar. So I'm basically moving back and forth, I CANNOT fire the cannon within the neutral zone. So I have to be out in the open while the destroyer missile is closing in on me, fire and immediately dodge the cannon as it hits the moving Swirl.

I've gone to 200,000 points and the game gets so hectic I practically have to constantly revert to an earlier save. I struggled getting there initially but I found that cells devoured by Yar are much better than shooting them with missiles. Still it's difficult to get additional lives because as I said, the destroyer missile is just too fast. I find it easier to just destroy the Qotile, rather than waiting for the Swirl. Also later on it will fire almost instantly, but not always.

I've tried Ultimate Yars mode (Games 6 & 7) but it didn't help me much. You can stock up on Zorlon Cannons by collecting what is called TRONS.

This video helped somewhat...

Any tips and help are appreciated. I might completely skip on buying the second and third volumes of Atari Flashback Classics. Not worth the frustration.

Edited by Spaz

So I’m planning to make a trophy guide for the game but have been busy so it’s not done yet.

But the essence of it is:

- Make sure you’re playing the easier mode (I forget the name and can’t check right now, think it’s “Kids” something). You can almost get to the required score before the safe zone disappears on this mode. 

- always eat every single part of the shield in early levels. It gives way more points than destroying the blocks, and the more points you have earlier, the less you’ll need later when things become hectic. Try to do it later too though it does become harder when the enemy projectile moves faster. But then you can just rush out, eat a couple, move to the other end of the screen then retreat to the safe zone and repeat.

- in early levels, always hit the moving swirl. You need to learn the timing and pattern of this. The easiest method I found was to hover near the top/bottom then immediately move up/down to go to the other end of the screen when firing. You can also abuse this to avoid the enemy projectile thing (I forget the name of it). It’s not hard once you know the timing.

- that said, the timing does change at certain score thresholds so learn when they are. Not only the timing, but after certain thresholds it’ll slow down but then change direction mid-flight too (going up/down to head straight for you). In some ways it’s easier to hit when it’s like this especially if you’re abusing the screen transition I mentioned above.

- if you want to use back-up saves (I did it without using the above tips) you could always back-up after each time you clear the shield so you can keep trying at hitting the moving swirl before the next level. The points you earn early on are important as you’ll barely need to enter the areas with no safe zones since you’ll be at a much higher score by that point.

- when you get to the levels with no safe zone, just clear them as quickly as possible if you’re not confident as the safe zone does come back later.

Hope that helps! I do have more detailed notes but they’re on my PC and I’m on mobile right now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kristycism said:

- in early levels, always hit the moving swirl. You need to learn the timing and pattern of this. The easiest method I found was to hover near the top/bottom then immediately move up/down to go to the other end of the screen when firing. You can also abuse this to avoid the enemy projectile thing (I forget the name of it). It’s not hard once you know the timing.

Definitely struggling with this. I should have over 100,000 points by the fifth level, instead I'm getting roughly 85 - 90 thousand points.

It's been a while since I did this, so I don't remember the pattern exactly, but to stay ahead of the missile, you need to use the edges of the screen and make the missile chase you from the edges.  Like, if the missile is near the top, you move down and make it wrap back underneath and then move up to make it wrap back around the other way.  It's also coming at you, so you need to move not just up and down but more diagonally, but the key thing is to make it wrap around back and forth and keep it out of the center of the screen.  You could probably also do it the opposite way, with the missile in the center and you on the edges...  but I think it's easier to do it the other way. [EDIT: Nah, you need to be in the center to shoot the shield!  I should probably go to bed... it's too late, lol]

If you can get into a pattern that will avoid the missile, and also keep an eye out on the swirl... then you can basically survive on the highest difficulty as long as you need (if you're careful) and just get the basic points from shooting instead of "eating", which is riskier.  I generally didn't worry about scoring quickly.  Instead, I focused on surviving and I got up to around 700k points.

Edited by dmland12
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 3:43 AM, Spaz said:

So I found out if you sit on the black vertical line after you destroy the Swirl, you'll trigger an Easter Egg and the game is over.

Something to keep in mind for anyone going for this trophy.

yeah, I found that out the hard way when I first went for that trophy. ?