SuperSmexy500

Stick drift, anything I can do?

6 posts in this topic

So while playing Dreams earlier, I noticed my camera was rotating around constantly when entering a level. Moving the right stick fixed it, but I decided to enter create mode, where I've noticed if I move the right stick ever so slightly to the left, even just lightly stroking my thumb across the thumb-pad towards the lift, it will often move very quickly to the left, "jitter", or just constantly start drifting in that direction even when I'm no longer touching the stick.

I've tried blowing compressed air around the stick and resetting it, but the issue persists. Tried using my other Dualshock 4s in create mode in Dreams as well and I'm not getting any issues.

I've only had this controller since September or so, it's the Electric Purple model. It was a Christmas gift and it's very disappointing to see it having issues so soon, especially when my other two main controllers that I bought 3-4 years ago now are still perfectly fine. Heck, even my 2013 launch Dualshock is still fine, aside from the rubber being partially ripped off the sticks, and the battery life not being great any more.

Anyway, it's not completely unplayable or anything atm, it still works fine but it's insanely sensitive to any slight movement to the left. Problem is, I just know it's likely gonna get worse. No idea how long my Dualshock 4 has had this slight stick drift for, I haven't noticed it at all until just today. Can't even get the Electric Purple model any more, or really any Dualshock 4s currently (at least here in the UK, consoles and hardware in general are pretty rare here atm, even the Xbox One).

I have had stick drift on one Dualshock 4 before, an original model blue one that I got with my PS4 at launch, happened after about 3-4 years of owning it. It was the left stick however, and like my other controller the rubber was coming off the sticks anyway, so it didn't feel like a huge loss even though it was disappointing. Only controller I've ever had stick drift with previously, haven't even gotten stick drift with my 3 year old Switch Joycons yet (granted I barely use them as I almost always play it in TV mode with a pro controller).

Is there anything I can do short of taking it apart? I've never really taken apart a controller before and don't really trust my ability to not screw something up in doing so.

I also had this problem on my original controller and I tried everything I could without taking it apart. The only thing that worked at least temporarily was to pull the stick up until it clicks, and blow into it gently.

I eventually ended up buying a new controller and I'm glad I did because the original one is now almost unplayable.

It sucks but unfortunately the only way it's gonna be fixed for good is either if you take it apart and clean it properly from the inside, or buy a new controller altogether. 

I took apart my very first controller which started to drift after about 6 months of use and I was pleasantly surprised to see the drifting completely disappear after I cleaned up one of the contacts in the right stick using some IPA.

Taking it apart is not very hard in my opinion if you follow a video guide, but putting it together can be slightly annoying because of the touch panel which has pretty short ribbon cable and you need to fit it just right into controller's front panel.

Thanks for the responses.

I know I probably shouldn't have, but I decided to blow around the stick, and it seems to have actually fixed it, for now. Not sure why my breath worked and not the compressed air. If it continues to be an issue, I'll probably see about taking it apart by watching a few videos, as HusKy suggested. I'd rather not have to retire this controller unless even taking apart doesn't help, as it's still less than a year old. I've thought about returning it since it's still under warranty, but that's basically impossible at the moment with the lockdown and most stores being closed. Not to mention I doubt they could replace it with another purple controller anyway, since they don't even have it listed on their website any more.

I have 4 other controllers so it's not like I don't have other ones to fall back on, it's just disappointing given that this controller was a Christmas gift, it's basically brand new, and also kinda rare now it seems. The only place I've found that still sells it for a semi-reasonable price is PlayAsia, but I'll likely get charged double what the controller is worth in the end with shipping + custom duties/tax.

Mine has started doing similar, I ordered a new one so I can take apart the drifting one with no real worry. As others have said, there are plenty of tutorials online for taking it apart so I'd recommend giving it a go if your problem persists.

Mine currently isn't too bad, it drifts a little and doesn't register inputs properly (which made playing Heavy Rain insanely frustrating, especially those scenes where you had to hit all the QTEs perfectly and it just wouldn't register going left!) The most frustrating things is that this controller is not even 3 months old! Pretty shoddy quality from Sony really and it's not an uncommon problem. Hopefully it is fixed with the DualSense on the PS5.

3 hours ago, cpt_und3rp4nts91 said:

Mine has started doing similar, I ordered a new one so I can take apart the drifting one with no real worry. As others have said, there are plenty of tutorials online for taking it apart so I'd recommend giving it a go if your problem persists.

Mine currently isn't too bad, it drifts a little and doesn't register inputs properly (which made playing Heavy Rain insanely frustrating, especially those scenes where you had to hit all the QTEs perfectly and it just wouldn't register going left!) The most frustrating things is that this controller is not even 3 months old! Pretty shoddy quality from Sony really and it's not an uncommon problem. Hopefully it is fixed with the DualSense on the PS5.

Yeah, the Dualshock 4 definitely seems like the most fragile out of Sony's controllers. My 13+ year old Dualshock 3s are still perfectly fine (aside from their battery lives only lasting about 6-8 hours now), so are my Dualshock 2s. Never had issues with stick drift or anything with any of them, whereas now I've had 2 Dualshock 4s with the issue. I did have a Dualshock 2 die on me once but that was probably because I abused it as a kid.

I do hope the Dualsense is better quality and more long lasting as well, but I won't hold out hope. Seems a lot of companies are cheaping out on the hardware nowadays.