Do the games you play and platinums matter?

BeenJoshed1217

Hey all, recently got into trophy hunting as a laid back hobby. It helps me relax, motivates me to 100% the games I play, and broadens the genres I play. Especially with everything going on in the world right now, I've had a lot of down time to play a lot more and look into new games.

Recently I've been seeing a lot of judgement from people if they see someone who has specific games that they've played that are "for kids" or "cheap platinums". Personally, I love a lot of short pointless games, as well as "kiddy" games, they are a great change of pace after a 50-100 hour game. Like I stated before, I trophy hunt for the fun of it. However, I am quite proud whenever I platinum or 100% a game, regardless of what it is.

My question is; does it really matter what you play or what platinums you have? I personally think there are a lot of different types of trophy hunters out there.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts and comments, thanks for taking your time to read. Everyone stay safe out there.

5 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Wasn't  there another topic(s) like this who went full on madness?

Anyway they do matter, only to you xD if you enjoy  them and feel good playing, who cares how tough or easy they are?

Could have been one that I saw lol

Thanks for the input, I agree with you ?

Simple answer: 

No.

At the end of the day trophies are just tiny mounds of pixels that mean nothing in real life. They mostly only matter to you (the trophy hunter) as you marvel at the constantly growing size of your own glorious e-penis.

The more complicated answer:

Yes.

As much as we like to use the above sentiments to pretend it doesn’t matter, the truth is a little bit more complicated. The fact is, none of us would care about being on a leaderboard, sharing our hobby with others, or showing off our achievements to friends and fellow trophy hunters if it didn’t hold SOME kind of social currency within the community.

You also wouldn’t have people spending ridiculous amounts of both time & money, playing terrible games over and over again (multiple stacks) and in some cases even torturing themselves (as many top ranked players will attest to) to rapidly boost their PSN level and platinum count if they didn’t think it bought them some sort of prestige and status within the community.

My answer:

In my personal opinion, take it for what you will, it absolutely matters. You can very quickly spot the difference between a trophy hunter and a trophy whore based on what they play for the most part. A true trophy hunter is passionate about gaming and likes to hunt trophies to enhance their gaming experience for themselves. They like the challenge, and how each platinum trophy symbolizes another game conquered under their belt.

A trophy whore is more concerned with the actual trophies themselves more than the actual journey and the experience of completing each game. They are addicted to that beautiful dinging sound with each trophy that pops, and become slaves to the massive dopamine rush they receive with each and every platinum they add to their list.

Until, of course, they no longer feel that rush and instead begin to feel empty inside with the pointless exercise. Too many top ranked trophy hunters have spoken out bitterly against this state of becoming slaves to Ratalaika type games, being “forced” to play them to maintain ranks, and feeling like they have to shelf longer or harder games that they’d rather be playing due to the inefficiency or playing them.

What people choose to play is their own business, but since you asked I will say that I personally don’t respect or admire those types of trophy hunters. One peek at their list and I just kind of write them off lol. 

• Like 2

I just play what I want to play. Sometimes what I play is so good that I want to get the platinum. Sometimes the really good games have impossible platinums for me :( But I definitely don’t play for platinum on games I don’t like. I don’t really judge if people want to play easy games for platinums and trophies, but it doesn’t interest me or make me impressed. I get more impressed by specific difficult trophies that I’ve personally tried and know how hard they are. 

Also, some “kids” games are really fun! :) There was a time when non-gamers judged ANY kind of game as a kids activity and I felt judged like I needed to grow up. Now that stigma seems to be basically gone. 

• Like 2

I always just think enjoy what you’re playing and enjoy platting it. I often see people losing their mind on this site about trophies, thats ill. I also don’t get people who are proud of platting a stupidly easy game like 6 times, there is nothing to be proud of as its cheap (and I also can’t imagine someone enjoying platting an easy game 6 times).

• Like 2

There's no point in bringing others down based off how they like to play or what they have. If someone enjoys that pop from a trophy or seeing their Plats go up, even if it's duplicate easy games, that has no negative impact on yourself. All my plats are easy. My attention span is too low to go after something that takes too long. And I'm fine with that. I feel a sense of accomplishment for every trophy I get. I don't enjoy frustrating myself over something I'm having trouble with. I use games to relax and unwind. So I celebrate my small victories.

• Like 3

On 4/18/2020 at 10:34 AM, BeenJoshed1217 said:

Recently I've been seeing a lot of judgement from people if they see someone who has specific games that they've played that are "for kids" or "cheap platinums". Personally, I love a lot of short pointless games, as well as "kiddy" games, they are a great change of pace after a 50-100 hour game. Like I stated before, I trophy hunt for the fun of it. However, I am quite proud whenever I platinum or 100% a game, regardless of what it is.

I would like to differentiate between having and expressing an opinion, and really judging another player for their gaming habits. The latter is uncalled for, and my answer to your question if you put it that way is no, it definitely doesn't matter what you play. 

However, it definitely matters to me what I play, as it affects the nature of my own profile. How my profile looks, what types of games are there, is what mainly motivates me to keep going for 100%, to play the kind of games I play, to maintain a "nice" profile, whatever that means to me subjectively. I couldn't stand seeing something like "Little Adventures on the Prairie" on my profile. That being said, I don't care if I see it on somebody else's profile.

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

For me, it does not matter. I love JRPGs and they are long and difficult platinums, so am proud of those that I have. But I'm also addicted to otome games, which are super easy platinums. But I love playing them and getting 100%, seeing all the endings, completing the CG album and getting the platinum. I don't care that they are easy, I find them really fun to play

On 4/18/2020 at 3:34 AM, BeenJoshed1217 said:

My question is; does it really matter what you play or what platinums you have? I personally think there are a lot of different types of trophy hunters out there.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts and comments, thanks for taking your time to read. Everyone stay safe out there.

It certainly matters to me. I think everyone should play what they want, but it's not going to keep me from silently judging people (for good or bad).

Meh, they matter to me because I'm a completionist. Usually a platinum is a sign that I have done everything a game has to offer, and I can remove it from my mental backlog. I don't play games just for the trophies, life is too short to play games I don't actually enjoy. If someone wants to ruin a game's experience by loading up a guide and speedrunning the platinum, that's their hobby, but it sure isn't mine.

And there are so many ways to manipulate the leaderboards on this site, comparing your list to anyone else's list is a fool's errand.

• 1 month later...

For me, personally, i play the games i want to play, and i think are good games. And then, if i really like a game, i will try and platinum it.

In FIFA, i usually do as many trophies i can, and when it get's to the hard online trophies, i usually let them stay unlocked :D Can't be bothered to use tons of real life money or play 1000+ matches online, to get a trophy in FIFA. FIFA online is pure pay2win bullshiiit....

To be honest I think anyone who judges someone else based on the games they play has something lacking in themselves.  Expressing an opinion about a game is fine, expressing an opinion about a behavior is fine.  But saying that there is something lacking in people who play X game or do Y thing is not.  Gaming is a hobby that is meant to be fun and the only person a profile matters to should be the person who is playing those games.

I especially think this in the case of people saying that someone at a certain age shouldn't be doing something.  I've heard many times from people that someone my age shouldn't still be playing games and watching anime and that I should grow up and get adult hobbies (sometimes with a get married and have kids added, yuck).  You see, the nice thing about being an adult is that you have the freedom to do what you want after all your obligations like work and such are completed.  Many adults also engage in media with their kids to spend time with them and better understand the things their kids enjoy.  I've tried these supposed "adult" hobbies and don't enjoy them and I'm definitely not looking to get married and have kids.  I've found that people who say this are often immature and lacking in self-esteem and are actually trying to make themselves feel better by bringing someone else down.  The real adults are the people who understand that being an adult means you have the freedom to have whatever hobbies you want and to spend your extra money on whatever you want and what matters the most is finding a way to be happy with yourself and your life.  If gaming makes you happy and playing "kiddy" games is fun to you, then more power to you and have fun with it.

Trying to break it down to what does or does not matter is missing the forest for the trees.

In a very existential since, nothing really "matters" as everything is just a march to the end.

What you should be thinking about is if it has value, specifically to you.

If you enjoy playing the game, earning the trophies, doing various community related things around here, then the value is there. Go enjoy your thing, let the people who don't like do their thing.

Backing away from the philosophy, there has been a growing change in the trophy hunting community (specifically trophy hunting, I don't really see this among Steam hunters much these days) that the influx of easy games and multi-stacks have cheapened the supposed worth of 100%s and platinums. And...there is a discussion to be had there. The more vocal people have been trying lately to drive off people who play these 'cheap' games and shout down people who otherwise don't care. Pay these people no mind, interact with the folks who can conduct themselves like adults. That's my advice.

3 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

Backing away from the philosophy, there has been a growing change in the trophy hunting community (specifically trophy hunting, I don't really see this among Steam hunters much these days) that the influx of easy games and multi-stacks have cheapened the supposed worth of 100%s and platinums. And...there is a discussion to be had there. The more vocal people have been trying lately to drive off people who play these 'cheap' games and shout down people who otherwise don't care. Pay these people no mind, interact with the folks who can conduct themselves like adults. That's my advice.

It definitely exists on Steam, just not so much for easy games any more since people have moved on to a new thing to hate.  I've definitely seen people say they will unfriend anyone who plays hentai games.  Also every time one of the third party resellers posts a sale or bundle, there are people rushing in to say what crap the games or the sale is.  One group I belong to that posts about free games has a huge problem with trolls complaining about the free games.  Steam's playerbase is probably one of the most toxic out there and you definitely have to be ready to block and unfriend people who show how toxic they are.

In seriousness, you can pretty much cheat the Steam achievement system using S.A.M. (Steam Achievement Manager). It's much worse in there.

12 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

It definitely exists on Steam, just not so much for easy games any more since people have moved on to a new thing to hate.  I've definitely seen people say they will unfriend anyone who plays hentai games.  Also every time one of the third party resellers posts a sale or bundle, there are people rushing in to say what crap the games or the sale is.  One group I belong to that posts about free games has a huge problem with trolls complaining about the free games.  Steam's playerbase is probably one of the most toxic out there and you definitely have to be ready to block and unfriend people who show how toxic they are.

That ^. People on Steam are crazy. Nothing is enough for them.

16 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

I don't care if I play a cheap game, unless if it's really worth my money. These people who complain about it have to be that crazy. I played some cheap games on Steam, but I didn't care about it.

Edited by BadRep24

18 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Going back and actually dipping into the community again, yeah. It's still around. I'd argue not as bad as it once was from a certain perspective. Instead of just hordes of people complaining and not much else, it's piles blocking people left and right. I guess I've become spoiled by achievement hunting discords. Most of them don't really take issue with the crap/spam games. Rather, it's encouraged if you're enjoying it.

1 hour ago, Jelly Soup said:

Going back and actually dipping into the community again, yeah. It's still around. I'd argue not as bad as it once was from a certain perspective. Instead of just hordes of people complaining and not much else, it's piles blocking people left and right. I guess I've become spoiled by achievement hunting discords. Most of them don't really take issue with the crap/spam games. Rather, it's encouraged if you're enjoying it.

Overall it seems to depend on where you go and who you interact with since Steam's community overall is so spread out.  But overall I've found PC gaming to be the most toxic and entitled playerbase and people don't kid about the PC side thinking badly of consoles and people who play on consoles. Steam overall is a cesspool in so many ways, but if you curate your experience well with the tools the platform gives you, there are some awesome people out there and many of them enjoy consoles too.  It just would be nice if more people would understand that the point of gaming is to have fun and what everyone finds fun is very different.  I've seen people who have a blast streaming a terrible game and making fun of it.  They enjoy it, so who is anyone else to judge something they found fun?

I had your same thoughts about being judge if I did certain things, recently about stacking assassin creed brotherhood. I don't like stacking game's and while I thought I be shown as less of a gamer if I did, I posted here and was glad to hear it was ok. I had fun playing assassin creed brotherhood, I got it at 89% on the ps3 and want the plat on the ps4 because it's fun and I love the game so much, I'm making an exception. I mostly play long and hard games, as I like my games to last, I enjoy these types of games. I also enjoy short games as filler's, like a break from doing 100+ hrs JRPG back to back, I need to relax and just enjoy the game. If I don't like the game, then I get it to A rank and not platinum it. I hate sport games, but I did Fifa games to A rank, as my friend like's them and need for speed rivals, I did just to test my skills, as I'm rubbish at car games.

You will never find my name is mayo or any tell-tale game on my profile, as I personally don't see them as fun games. But to someone else they could be fun for them, I don't think it matters what you play or platinum, as everybody got different taste's. I've been gaming for 34 years and get told constantly that I should grow up, as I like anime, cartoons and I still play some kids games. I got Aladdin, Lion king, Ben 10, Spider-man and Wonder boy: the dragon's trap to play at some point, I know they are super easy games as they are meant for kids, but I played the originals as a kid and I'm a fan of Spidey & ben 10 as I liked the show. So long as you have fun and enjoy what you are doing, then it don't matter what you play or platinum.

I'm a veteran all rounder who just play for fun and to test my skills, I set challenges to myself on games (FF7 remake: hard mode- no items, no using MP before boss, don't upgrade until chapter 17). so long as you enjoy what your doing it don't matter, heck I did One punch man: a hero nobody knows as a filler before final fantasy 7 remake and I still had fun, I had that much fun, I wrote a guide for it to help the JRPG community. Play what you want and platinum what you want.

For me personally, I really like some of those kids games. They remind me of when I was just a kid. Plus, sometimes they are a nice break from some of the more stressful games. Besides, if someone is going to take the time to judge you based on your trophy list, then that says a lot about them as a person. The only time I bother to look at someone else's trophy list is to see if they have played any games I am interested in. That way I can ask them what they thought about the game.If I happen to catch a game that I played and really enjoyed but they have not finished it, I will usually offer to help them. That way I have an excuse to play it again. Especially a game like Diablo. I can't count how many times I helped friends of mine platinum that game.