(Potential spoilers) How would you rate the difficulty of this plat?

1 hour ago, technole said:

Net platinum % on PSN on recent FF games. Let's be real. PSN is a more realistic picture, not PSNp, which tends to skew towards trophy fans.

FF7R 2.9% 

FFVII 7.1% (3/10)

FFXV 8.7% (3/10)

FFVIII 9.2% (3/10)

FFXIII 2.2% (5/10)

FFXII 2.7% (5/10)

Now you see how 4/10 looks silly?

5 or slightly above is about right. Two playthroughs, challenges, instead of just the token difficulty trophy things in previous FF games. That is enough intangibles to move the needle.

These numbers are no indication whatsoever about the challenge of the game in question. If anything, they show that the games that can be platted in one single playthrough and without excessive grind (and, as is the case with FF VII and FF VIII, with in-game cheats) have a higher platinum percentage. 

I mean, even on PSN, over 35% of players have completed Chapter 18 on FF7R (and thus completed the game). The plat rarity is lower than, for example, the one of FFXV, because you are required to play through the game twice, which most players (that are not trophy hunters) just don't do. 

Personally, I would not have an issue if the guide put this game at a 4/10, but I also don't think it's worth arguing whether this is a 4 or 5/10... Both ratings point to a moderately challenging, but really not hard game. That's precisely what the FF7R plat is. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah I love this site a lot, some of the features are amazing. But the numbers are only of any use for this site. 

I still rate it around a 7 and currently on chapter 12 and its rock hard for me. I spent so much time trying to beat bosses that in the end I forgot how to fight against basic enemies and can't even reach the boss on this stage lol. I think the whole giving a game a platinum difficulty number is pointless as no two people seem to have the same opinion, not to mention some gamers excel at some genres over others. I think the rating should be done the same as it is in gaming. Easy, medium and hard. With those three you pretty much cover your bases

Difficulty is always a relative question. Like for me you could sleepwalk through FFXIII even though it's long, cause I remember falling asleep to grinding traps. The challenges you have to play a little more optimal for a few fights for trophies so it's just a smaller part of the game. The guide here has it as 5/10, quite fair. Most people rate it in the middle.

Naturally with FF7R you cannot sleepwalk through a hard playthrough, with no items, and If you don't swap out materia often, you're just going to have a harder time. The game can go up in difficulty like you mention cause of this. You can run through a chapter with elemental+fire against mobs, and then the boss is lightning and if you didn't swap or come in with the right strat, the fight will feel like it's 7/10. This kind of management is not 4/10 difficulty.

Bahamut simulation is an example of materia management will completely change how you do that gauntlet. If you don't bring reprieve, you have to manawall to live through megaflare. Some preferred to focus and squash Ifrit when he first lands. Whereas I prefer the fire+elemental armor setup and have Ifrit as a healer you while everyone is on Bahamut so you can put all your resources into damage, and then kill Ifrit last. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, technole said:

. You can run through a chapter with elemental+fire against mobs, and then the boss is lightning and if you didn't swap or come in with the right strat, the fight will feel like it's 7/10. This kind of management is not 4/10 difficulty.

100% best way to describe what makes the game difficult. Sure you can revert to saves and stuff but yeah, the materia management between standard enemies and the boss enemies is where the difficulty scale really comes into play. 

I'm on chapter 12 now and just got to the Reno & Rude fight. Throughout chapter 12 there were mako shards here and there and I admit I save scummed the crap out of it at times as the enemies required a mixture of fire and lightning elements to get rid of them, so the save scummidge helped me a lot. Then in the last few sections theres not a mako shared crate to be found so I basically have limited mp going into the boss fight. 

Started the fight making sure to equip wind and stop, but then in phase 2 I cast wind with Tifa and realised I should have used Barret to cast wind and then Tifa to cast stop. Screwed up and got destroyed so will have to go again later. Its got to the point where I can only play the game for about 10-20 minutes at a time because making one wrong move means you may as well reload as you can only afford to take 2-3 hits on hard before the game wrecks you. That and the fact each boss has stages which can delay atb groth and such is a pain in, up and all around the arse at times. So I have 1 or 2 attempts a day and then I leave it until the next day. 

• Like 1