Easy Platinum?

FielVeredus

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This is a tricky game but probably my favourite this year. I did this in 3 play throughs

1. Play through on Normal and achieve 100%. This is a decent challenge in itself but nothing too difficult
  2. Play through on Normal completing Speedrunner (2 hour speed run), Highlander (complete with level 1 sword) and Hunter (complete with Level 1 armour). This was hard and I kept a save backed up as I went through. It was when I got to the penultimate boss "Amargein the Liberator" I struggled with the his minions, enough that I took a step back by levelling up my sword and finishing the game, then loaded my save and finished it with full armour afterwards.
  3. Veteran 100% - I found this really hard in the beginning but as it went on and you got more hearts, bags and levelled up the sword and armour it became easier. What I did find amusing was that I was dreading "Amargein the Liberator" thinking I'd get destroyed, but not only did I beat him the first time, I also didn't get hit once.

Overall this can be tough and frustrating in places but as always, practice and patience will get you through.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just picked this up again after a couple of months, and yeah - it's not an easy game. In addition to the great tips above, one thing I would recommend is to go ahead and deny yourself either swords or armor on your first playthrough (I'm doing swords). I don't know if the game autosaves after beating the last boss, but you can always back up your save. 

Also, don't forget about your subweapons. While they don't do a helluva lot of damage, they are easy to use, and work REALLY well against some bosses (for example, the annoying fish boss in the Aqueducts is rendered nearly trivial with the axe subweapon). 

I found that going for both no sword upgrades and no armor in the same playthrough was impossible- not completely of course, but on a personal level. There's a boss near the end (the skeleton) and he takes a ridiculous amount of hits to take down, and if you don't go in with enough spears and holy water you're not going to beat him. It doesn't help that he only gets more and more dangerous as the fight goes on- having damage halved for that fight really helped. By the time I killed him on my second no-armor run my sword upgrades had him down in under a minute, I strongly recommend against trying for both trophies on the same playthrough.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Not at all! Far tougher than I had anticipated: it took me 35 hours, and I'd give it around an 8.5/10 for difficulty. The "Highlander" trophy is a total nightmare, and beating Veteran Mode was nearly as terrible. I haven't been put though quite this much suffering since the NES days. Keep in mind, I played Odallus with minimal guide use.

Utilizing save backups makes it a lot more manageable, at least. I earned "Highlander," "Hunter," and "Speedrunner" all in the same playthrough, and here's how:

1) Speedrun through the game, without picking up any sword or armor upgrades, until you unlock the final area (kill every boss). Try to have at least 30 minutes remaining at this point for a comfortable margin, which isn't that hard to manage, especially if you do it in a segmented manner with save backups before each level. Make liberal use of sub-weapons on bosses, since the level 1 sword is trash. Now, backup your save to the PS Plus cloud or a USB; do NOT touch this save.

2) Go find every level 3 armor room and acquire the dark armor. Grab every health upgrade you can as well, and fill up your spears and torches. Return to the final castle and face the last three bosses, the worst of which is the skeleton necromancer guy. Defeating him with the garbage sword is just terrible, because you do so little damage, and the yellow skeletons he summons are quite dangerous. However, the armor makes this more doable, as it reduces damage, and you can hold square with the torches equipped to gain a few seconds of invincibility. If you absolutely pelt this bastard with spears and axes at every opportunity, he should die after summoning only 1-2 yellows. When dealing with the adds, try not to get into the trap of ducking under their fireballs to attack their legs too often, because the hitboxes on them make no sense, so you'll inexplicably take damage half the time. Be patient, and toss torches and axes at them instead. This was the hardest challenge in the game, by far.

3) Now that you've unlocked "Highlander" (and maybe "Speedrunner," if you're really skilled), download your backup save from the end of step 1. This time, enter Aqueducts 2 and get the level 3 sword, along with seeking out any remaining health upgrades, and once again topping off all sub-weapons. Go back to the final area and kill the bosses again—MUCH easier this time, even though you don't have any armor. The max sword makes short work of them.

4) You likely got "Hunter" and "Speedrunner" in the last step, but if you weren't quite fast enough, then again download the backup save. In this instance, you can go obtain BOTH the level 3 sword and armor, and since you have plenty of practice by now, the final level should be a cinch to complete in time.

As for Veteran Mode, it's no joke, either. There are tough new enemies and traps, most bosses summon annoying minions, and item/secret locations have been remixed. You're forced to take a far more difficult route through the game, and it's pretty intimidating at first. The key is to leave as much content untouched as you can, until acquiring the level 3 sword and armor, after which you can return to defeat all remaining bosses and collect leftover secrets relatively easily. This requires unlocking the Frozen Mines as soon as possible, so you'll have to defeat several bosses, including the pill bug in Underground Temple for the cape relic; it's totally doable with torches, thankfully. The sword is locked behind a gate puzzle, right before the Frozen Mines boss; it took me around ten minutes to figure it out.

After I finish Oniken, I doubt I'll ever purchase another Joymasher game, to be honest. At this stage of my life, I don't really need to be yelling at my screen and getting thumb blisters, y'know? I must admit, it was satisfying to finally succeed, though!

• Like 1